Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Hi All,

Forgot to post here when I signed up about a month ago. Live in Ventura County and have been chasing waves for 30 years and as part of my surf culture have been searching for tiki the past 4 years. Just picked up carving recently out of frustration of not finding tiki. Thought I would be more successful at making my own. Love Reverb, Rockabilly and old Soul Music. Cruising my 59 Fleetside, watching my 3 sons grow up (waaay to fast) and catching it glassy and hollow.

Hi. My name is Tara...just renewing my interest and love for all things Tiki.
I grew up in the Florida Keys and found this site while reminiscing.

Howdy all, I have been into Tiki's for a few years now. I started out collecting a tiki here and there and very shortly I was bitten by the tiki bug. My collection is up to 60 something right now, mainly it is different mugs and whatnot. I haven't actually been hunting for tikis for a little bit now, but I need to get back into it. I don't know why I never bothered to look for a tiki forum, but I stumbled across this one when I was looking up tiki carving. Anyways, I am here to learn about all that is tiki and pick up a few tips on carving. Also I am from the Twin Cities area, Minnesota. There is a a lot of really cool work going on here.

Thanks,
Don

A

Hi everyone! Finding this board has made me so happy! I feel that I am among my people! Tiki ohana!

I grew up in the San Franciso Bay area, lived in San Diego for a few years, and am now in Milwaukee, WI (only a few blocks from Foundation - our tiki/punk bar!).

I believe that my tiki fandom started with my grandmother, who had a tropical backyard in the temperate Bay Area. I'm currently finishing a masters in Liberal Studies (American Studies/an interdisciplinary liberal arts degree), and my thesis is on Polynesian Pop! I'm sure there are MANY people in this forum who are MUCH more qualified to write it than me! I will be happy to share my sources (and the paper, thus far) with anyone who is interested, and please share your ideas with me! I'm concentrating on the food items and fads that went along with the tiki trend.

I love travelling, cooking and entertaining - we have a fire pit in our backyard, and an under-construction tiki bar in our house. I'm a big music lover, from punk to island music (from jamaican ska to tahitian otea) to jazz. I love art and crafts and DIY, and I am SO IMPRESSED with the work that people have posted in here! I promise to share some of my creations and trip photos!

Last, my roomate and sister-like pal runs a halau literally out of our house - I have many photos and stories to offer of their performances and the events I get to attend with them. Anyone in the midwest wanting to add some authentic polynesian performers to their party should let me know!

-Allison

Me at Akaka Falls on the Hilo side of the Big Island!

H

Welcome, everybody! Wow, sounds like there are a few folks who are overdue here -- glad you finally found us! Look forward to seeing you around Tiki Central.

F

Alright, another Milwaukee TCer!! Please enjoy your stay and lets see some pics of that home bar. I think you bring our ranks up to about 4 or 5 total here in Brew City. Welcome!

On 2006-05-01 14:32, AllisonV wrote:

Me at Akaka Falls on the Hilo side of the Big Island!

Allison, since you lived in San Diego you know that that exact same flower grows in the San Diego Zoo's Children's Zoo, just outside of the Petting Paddock, right? :wink:

H

Greetings to you all. What a great forum and community!

I'll be doing some carving, and will share photos of my progress. I've learned tons by reading the carving posts here, and am excited about getting going!

Thanks for the cool place to hangout!!

LT

Oh my! Where do I begin? I'm so ALONE! Calm down, it's not what it looks like... I mean alone in a tikilover sense. Living in Dublin, Ireland is not too conducive to my tiki obsession. EBay and the occasional foray into other online-shops are my only financial outlet in this regard... and boy oh boy do I outlet.

I may be wrong but I think I am the only tiki collector in Ireland (collective sigh). Most people haven't an earthly what I'm on about when I mention the word. It has become my humble mission to change this by boring the pants off anyone who'll listen. I have at present 40 mugs in my humble two room flat and am in danger of chucking out my plants, my dog and my partner in order to accommodate more. Though I may keep the latter as he might come in handy for building shelves.

I'm really delighted to see so many creative people on the forum, who not only collect but "give something back" to tiki. I used to sculpt a bit before I began down the road of teaching English literature and reading some of your comments has got me thinking about starting something in the area. At least it might slow the tide of my spending (unlikely). Another ambition would be to set up a tiki bar right here in Dublin, imagine 30 to 40 Irish men and women in a bar and not one of them drinking Guinness! dream on.

E

Greetings and I hope all is well!

I collect various Tiki art work! In light of that, my first post is get the community's feedback on this recently acquiried mask. I would like to know its origin and if it brings any good or bad luck? See mask in link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HAWAIIAN-CARVED-WOOD-TIKI-MASK-ALII-WOODS_W0QQitemZ7763925620QQcategoryZ29460QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks and I'm happy to be part of this community

[ Edited by: EAST777 2006-05-08 09:58 ]

Aloha Tiki World. I have been infected with the tiki bug since the 70's and am now ready to join the community. I have built my home tiki bar and am starting to get interested in events. If you are in the NW give me shout and we can try to get you a VIP pass to the bar.

H

Hi everyone welcome to TC, hope you enjoy and stay. EAST777 you might want to post that in the Collecting Tiki forum.

On 2006-05-08 17:10, bothellbill wrote:
Aloha Tiki World. I have been infected with the tiki bug since the 70's and am now ready to join the community. I have built my home tiki bar and am starting to get interested in events. If you are in the NW give me shout and we can try to get you a VIP pass to the bar.

Aloha, check out the NW tiki bar crawl.

RB

Bothell Bill, I'm assuming you're in Bothell WA, so also check out the Seattle-area home tiki bar tour in August: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19239&forum=4&7
:drink:

Aloha! I was born in Honolulu in 1961. While I was still a baby, my family moved to Anaheim, California. In true Disneyland-type fashion, my father made our backyard a little spot of paradise including a lanai (with aqua-green and pink alternating fiberglass panels for the roof), tiki torches, and outdoor stereo speakers so we could enjoy his Arthur Lyman records. He planted bird of paradise, bamboo, and a banana tree. When he passed away I inherited his ukulele. I love rum. How could I not have tiki in my blood?

Aloha TC Ohana. Tiki-Tonga emerging from the shadows here, (after over two years of lurking) to express my appreciation to all the great artists here on TC. It's been fun collecting and learning about poly-pop history. My first tiki memory was a Halloween event for kids at The Tiki's in Monterey Park. That experience remained embedded in my brain as well as many family dinners at Bahooka in Rosemead.The tiki bug was re-sparked in me about 2 1/2 years ago, with the help of a co-worker/friend, and has led to a rapidly growing mug collection and a rapidly shrinking bank account. Thanks for listening , talk to y'all soon.

RB

Welcome QueenAlani! Always good to have more TC-ers in the Rose City. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Northwest Tiki Kon next month! http://nwtiki.com/

Welcome Tiki-Tonga!

I agree. Hats off to all the artists who share their work here on TC. One of the most talented groups of artists I know. That Halloween event at The Tikis sounds interesting. Too bad it's gone, but we can give thanks that Bahooka still seems to be thriving. Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

Sabu

AE

Aloha!

Very pleased to be here among you good people! I just found about this little island of tiki the other day when I met Basement Kahuna, who knocked on my door almost at random to ask if I could identify a lost dog. Life is funny...

So my earliest tiki experience dates from around age 7 or 8. We lived in Columbus, Ohio, during the late 70's, where my dad was executive chef at the Wine Cellar, Lee Henry's medieval themed steakhouse that was right up the street from the Kahiki. I only got inside the Kahiki a couple of times, but each trip across the bridge and through the waterfall hallway was like a trip into a kind of dark and mysterious Disneyland at that age. I loved the simulated lightning and rain!

The move to rural Georgia in 5th grade pretty much took tiki off my map until I bumped into a copy of The Book of Tiki a few years ago, the photos in the book bringing it all back. Since then a cross-reference of Tiki Road Trip has been a part
of vacation planning, and we've been able to visit some really cool neo and vintage tiki bars and restaurants.

Basement Kahuna thought some of you might get a kick out of my impressions on some of these, mostly written for the non-tikiphiles in my life:

Mai Kai (Fort Lauderdale, FL):
http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/maikai

Kowloon (Saugus, Mass):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000039.html

Headhunters (Austin, TX):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000132.html

Kon Tiki (Tucson, AZ):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000157.html

Bahi Hut (Tampa, FL):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000069.html

Authentic tiki in Tampa Jungle Gardens. Was not there when we went back in 2005!
http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/album19/DSCN4150

Minnies (Modesto, CA):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000198.html

More Modesto Tiki (bottom half of page):
http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/album36

The Tiki Lounge (Pittsburgh, PA):
http://www.brainrock.com/tripblog/archives/000030.html

So I really dig being in the immersive tiki environment, the illusion of paradise, the powerful designs of the tikis and their world. I'm not as much into the collecting side, as far as minding if a cool mug is vintage or anything like that. Likewise, with my mixocology I like my drinks sweet and powerful, less concerned if whether or not a specific recipe is being followed perfectly.

Check out this phenomenal punch bowl my sister made for me for my birthday a few years ago!

http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/album42?page=3

Here's a couple of pics of the hot tubbing environ out back, just the most bare-bones sort of a tiki grotto but not without a small measure of charm. We have since found another place for the trash can and recycling bins, so that's an improvement.

http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/album42/DSCN0170
http://www.brainrock.com/gallery/album42/DSCN0172

Anyhow, looking forward to lurking about in Tiki Central to get the lay of the island, chatting with you good people.

Cheers!

Aloha Ed

Aloha, Aloha Ed!

Former Athenian here myself (I lived on Hill St., right by the hospital). And I can think of no better ambassador than Basement Kahuna to welcome you to the world of Tiki Central - you scored! Along with Mr/Mrs Swamp Tiki, y'all are getting quite a little crew going there.

Enjoyed your wonderful shots of our beloved Mai Kai! You're goona LOVE Hukilau in October (one of our giant annual weekend-long festivals, this one being usually in Fort Lauderdale with Sat. nite at The Mai Kai....come hurricane or shine!)

Formikahini

T

Hey all! 'Nother new guy here. I've had a seasonal lust for tiki for years (fall-winter months and S.A.D. send me into goth-wannabe mode until warmer winds blow), probably beginning as a kid with that infamous Brady Bunch 'Hawaii' episode. The catalyst for diving into tiki full-force came a month ago with finding an abandoned home-tiki-bar in an open parking lot. It was a bit worn out, the thatching was molding up, screws were rusted and basically everything needed an overhaul. Careful not to spoil anyone else's plans, I left it sitting there for a couple days to make sure someone else hadn't just dropped it off to pick it up again, but after a week I saw it as a rescue mission and hauled it away. Unfortunately I can't post pictures of it's continuing resurrection, it should look pretty good in the end...
Mahalo,
twitch

T

There's a place I know where the hipsters go called Bedrock, Twitch, Twitch. Baby, Baby, baby, ah ah ah.

H

Twitch, hurry up and finish it and post some picture, we are waiting impatiently.

Thanks Rum Balls! I signed up and will see you at Tiki Kon NW!

I have to say, after having Ed and Lisa over for cocktails last night...'theyse good people. And well traveled in tiki bar circles, too. It always amazes me how we find the culture on our own so often. Welcome to TC! I'm going to dupe your post in a seperate thread, too, Ed...I think these blogs are fantastic..

I am new to the forum, from Dallas Texas. Hopeing to get help on
renovating my backyard..

C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 7:38 AM

Aloha,
I'm a new member! Sorry about taking so long to sign up. We just had a booth at Tiki Oasis 6 where we sold Hawaiian hats, the "San Diego Tiki Club Guidebook" and copies of my kid's book "Pineapple Poet and the Curse of the Smoothie Man". It was great meeting all the people stopping by the booth, mahalo to everybody.

Cammo,
the Pineapple Poet

Welcome Cammo! It was great talking with you in the lobby of the Red Lion, remembering all the tiki places of San Diego I miss since moving away in the 90's. Thanks for the tip of the new bar (Lei and Lounge?) in University Heights area, though we didn't get a chance to check it out. Glad to see Humphrey's / Half Moon Inn is still well appreciated. My 5 of spades didn't win your pineapple and sunglasses raffle!! Hope to catch you again on a return visit to SoCal! Good Luck on the books!

• Myke
C
Cammo posted on Thu, May 18, 2006 8:47 AM

That Pineapple Raffle went pretty well, except I asked King Kukulele to call the pineapple "7 pounds of Top Maui Gold" and he got it a bit garbled. Anyway, I'm making new hats (you'll see) and a new product for people who have MUGS!!!!

Cammo

Hey all, new here thought I'd say hi. Into cars and girls, like I'm sure most are.

Aloha Everyone!

Just Discovered this site. Super cool..

I've already posted once or twice... but now that this thread is right in my face, I s'pose I should post here :D

My husband and I are great big retrophiles.
I am a vintage retailer -- I sell both online (mostly clothes) and in the real world (everything else). Currently we have several spaces in the Orange Circle Antique Mall (Orange, CA), but will soon be opening up a store on 4th St in Long Beach, CA.
My husband is a Project Manager for a construction services company.
Our 8 year old (Can I tell you how GLAD I am to see KIDS in your pictures??) is a 2nd grade student and can identify Bakelite at 5 paces.
We very much enjoy tiki culture... but tend to lean towards the kitchy 1950's version. Our collection is still very small... since I seem to have this problem with BUYING cool things just so I can SELL them. Really irks my husband, sometimes. :wink:
But I figure... until we open our new store and get stuff OUT of my house... I really don't have any place to keep a collection, anyway. Once the store opens, we hope to FINALLY work on our "Sun Room" which was dubbed the "Tiki Room" when we moved here nearly 3 years ago.

Anyway... I do lurk here now and then... I guess I've just made the leap to poster :wink:

Lol Hi there, You'll never guess...

MY NAME IS TIKI!!

Omg! My full name is Takara, but, oh well you get the point...

Yeah, I'm a newbie. Hi Newbie me! :)

So...Umm...Yeah...

K

Hello all! My name is Christopher and I'm a tikiaholic... (Hi, Christopher)

I'm from Northwest Indiana which is about 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. I own and operate a party rental business and I'm going to start specializing in Luau's. Out here Luau's are HUGE. My goal here is to learn a little more about tiki stuff, perhaps find sources to purchase polynesian decorations, and so on.

Hello fellow tiki lovers!!! I'm so happy I've stumbled onto this site. I'm huge into the 50's/60's era, more so the Polynesian things. Also, love the artist Shag-have been fortunate to go to a gallery opening of his. I'm looking for any cool tattos designs, so if anyone can help out, that would be much appreciated!

Hi I'm a newbie!
My husband and I are revamping part of our upstairs into a tiki bar. This decision came about because we had a few miscellaneous tiki items to begin with (oh, we're newlyweds too).
After looking around here a bit, it would also seem I've had a few suppressed tiki memories... Like we used to frequent Sam's Seafood in HB all the time (didn't remember all the tiki!) and The Polynesian/Latitude 20 (whichever it was while I was there) in Torrance...who knows what else will surface?
Anywho- I like all things retro and am finally learning a bit more about it all.

Aloha Cammo, Derek Mitchell, Outrigger Dave, elsewhere, dripdroptiks, Kinkade, tikigodtodd, and sparkletiki!

Welcome to Tiki Central!

Have a good look around, there is lots to read, and many great pictures to look at. Inspiration & information are plentiful here.

By all means say hello if you see us chatting in Shout!

Enjoy your visit, and don't forget to post pictures of your collections and tiki related projects! (instructions on how to do this are here)

M

Aloha Everyone!

I'm a newbie also. I'm from Honolulu and have been into vintage Hawaiian and tiki for a little while, but never got into TC until recently. I've found so many cool products recently that I have never seen before. I'm slowly running out of $!!

H

Mo-Eye welcome to TC and lets see some pictures of all the stuff you got!

R
Rocco posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 8:41 PM

Aloha from LA!

I've finally decided to join TikiCentral as most of my friends just don't get my passion for tiki. As well, they can't drink as much rum as I can, either.

I'm very interested in designing tiki's and all images tropical. I'd certainly be appreciative to links for how-to's for creating mugs. I've been tooling through the forums, but would like to find some locals who can point out places/sources.

Mahalo for your time!

Rocco

S

Aloha all!

Thought I would start off with a quick hello from Chicago IL. I was doing some research for the construction of my tiki bar and found this great place. I have always had a passion for the tiki style and decided that this would be the summer I jumped head first into it. Can't wait to start posting my progress.

Hi all. After lurking for a while, I've decided to register.

My name is Sean, my wife is Brenda, our home tiki bar is "Brenda's Tiki Hut." We were at Tiki Oasis 6 and had the time of our lives. I'm looking forward to talking tiki to everyone and especially those face-to-face meetings over Mai Tais and Suffering Bastards.

TD

Good day,
i finished my first tiki a few days ago and i love it. im going to do this regularly and i already have started on my fourth. its amazing and i love it. if anybody has any tips for me id love to hear them or any suggestions on the type of wood to carve go ahead.
thanks.

Hello everyone,

I have been a big fan of Tiki and Exotica for a long time and was often a ghost reader on the boards here and all over the web. I figured now, I am building my Tiki Bar, I want to get more involved with all of you and you guys always seem very nice.

So Hello and I hope you can offer some great building tips.

Oh, by the way my bar is called

"Jonny Jon's Enchanted Tiki Lounge"

T

Aloha, Tikilanders!

As my ceremonial first post, here I am. I have been fascinated by Hawaiian art and culture - and especially the tikis and Hula Girls - for some time. I have had the good fortune to visit the Hawaiian Isles on 2 occassions (Kauai'i near Hanalei Bay, and on Maui), and I think those trips only cemented my love of this fun and sometimes kitschy art form.

I have a modest collection of Hawaiian shirts that I covet (including a Tiki shirt) and have recently turned my hand towards making tikis and hula girls in an art venture.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums, as my wahine and I are looking to tropical-ize and tiki-ize our backyard, and there are even posts here for carving your own tikis (!) so you can consider me excited to be a part of this.

The site looks great and I look forward to reading more on this forum.

Mahalo!

MA

Hey folks, new guy here. I'm in S.Cal. L.A. area. "lived" at the beaches around here growing up. I'm an old surfcat! Play music,blues,bluegrass & of course SURF! Love Tiki stuff!! We have a family art biz. BTW "rumor" has it there will be new Tiki Tiki Tiki Room art out at Disneyland in the next couple a weeks! Love this site! Check you all later.

P

Aloha and welcome to all of the newcomers in the last week.
Quite a few it seems.

Hope to meet some of you at the various events scheduled throughout the summer.

Kanakapila!!

Aloha from Kansas! I'm a big tiki freak living here in Kansas via Illinois. While outfitting my tiki room (currently non-existant) I ordered some tiki gods from a Hawai'ian company. When they arrived, there was a note from the owner that told me that, in his 30 years of business, he had never sent anything to Wichita!

Looking forward to hearing from more tiki-philes!

Queso Chuck

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies