Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Jan 5, 2003 10:23 PM

Alooooooooha to all da new members from da island of Oahu!

You will meet a lot of friendly peopo who like pretty much da sameting as you!

And yes post pics if you can as we here love to see da pics of bars, collections, etc!!

Shoots!

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. New Members...your usual tonight?

P.S. Nice to see a fellow member on the winning side! :)

E

Aloha to all! emspace here, a brand-spankin'-new member. I have been in love with things Polynesian since my first trip to Hawaii in 1968. I was 9 years old (now you can do the math and figure out how old and crusty I am), got to see those fine lads Borman, Lovell, and Anders touch down from their recovery aircraft carrier at Pearl Harbor and wave (to me!) after orbiting the moon. I am lucky to have relatives in byooteeful Oahu, and they have encouraged my fetish all my life.

Now I'm a web designer, musician, mug and lava-lava collector (not necessarily in order of importance) and resident of Vancouver, BC, Canada, probably the closest thing this frigid country has to the tropics. Plenty of palms, bananas, and yuccas planted here and there to soothe the eye and call the soul to thoughts of distant lands. Our town used to have a Trader Vic's as many of you will know, but it got swept away some time in the 80s. Alas, no scene here, though I once had the pleasure of meeting a young couple in a bar who wanted to open a place and gave them my card. I can't think of a better way to pry my butt out of this office chair, but Vancouverites can be extremely fickle in their dining and drinking habits. Restaurant failures within 1 year are around 50% I think. All in good time...

Loves: my wife Steph, all things Tiki, tropical music of all kinds including exotica, reggae/dub, bossa nova (my favorite), and Afro-Cuban, as well as liberal dashes of funk and jazz, and travel.

Hates: people who think "freedom of speech as long as you agree with me". I live in a very politically polarized place, and do my best to ignore the whole mess. Call me a lunatic, but I think life should be about joy, freedom, choices and opportunities. Old-fashioned, but it works for me!

much aloha,
emspace.

emspace, welcome to Tiki Central. Every couple of years or so I make a trip to Seattle to see family. Maybe we can meet some time for a Mai Tai.

M

Welcome aboard. So what's the trick to growing bananas in these parts (I'm in Portland where we just smoke the peels.)

E

Hey Polynesian Popster and mrtikibar, thanx for the warm welcome! Seattle is just a couple of hours away...is there a place you can recommend? By all means I hope to meet you and any other members in my travels as time goes by and life calms down a bit. Right now it's wonderfully nutso, 1st baby on the way (early June), going to get a bigger place first hopefully. How many of life's major stressors can I fit into the next half-year?

Ah, bananas...I knew they were around, but only made the happy discovery of several in my neighborhood this summer. I think people get them as young plants and just let nature take its course, but you can probably learn more through these guys: http://www.palms.org/pacific/index.htm. I'm just glad they're here :^)

E

Er, that period shouldn't be at the end of that hyperlink, that's why it isn't working. Now I know to leave some space after a URL, didn't know the BBCode would include it...

oops,
emspace.

Emspace, did ya see this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2238&forum=4&3

...I assume you know about that place, but just in case...

E

Holy crap! I knew about the Waldorf, but last I'd heard was that public access to any Tiki areas was verboten. I was last there in '97, in a fairly "normal" lounge that was given over to extremely thrashy bands on weekends. Lotsa piercing and hacked hair, not my scene at all. I have never been in the Polynesian Room and assumed it was still closed as described in The Tiki Bar Review Pages in September '01. I WILL investigate further, and if allowed, will take a heap of pictures and put up a website for all.

thanx for the heads-up bigbrotiki,
emspace.

emspace,

I like you verbal style. It must have something to do with being in my early, well ... 43, 40's myself.

You will enjoy the playful and sometimes brutal antics here at Tiki Central.

Be sure to mark your calendar for August 9th as that is INTERNATIONAL TIKI DAY!

Okole Maluna!

E

Muchas gracias Tiki Bong! since I'm going to an interview for a job as a proofreader tomorrow, it's nice to hear my style is appreciated :^)

August 9 duly noted. Must do something special. Something involving alcohol, aloha shirts, and good music. On the subject of aloha shirts, has anyone seen this one? Should I post it in another thread? It's the Reyn Spooner "Voodoo Tumblers" pattern, currently dicontinued but scheduled for re-release, not sure when. Watch for 'em at http:/www.reyns.com , brah!
aloha,
emspace.

Aloha all!

My names Guy, and i'm earning your tax dollars in the Coast Guard. I'm currently stationed in Galveston, TX. My other duty stations have been Cape May, NJ., Astoria, OR. ( Home of "The Goonies") and Newport, RI. I'm originally from Modesto, CA., home of believe it or not "The Tiki Lounge" on McHenry Ave. It used to be part of a "Tropics" motel. Anyway, as the years have passed I have slowly become more and more of a fan of the "Tiki" lifestyle. Now, finally I've found my way here. Of course, as with my luck I will be transfering to a isolated Coast Guard Staion near Nome, Alaska in a few months. I will only be there a year, but the thought of no tropical drinks scares me. I will do my best to create a "Tundra Tiki Bar" though. Much thanks to all who have assisted me in my first few posts!

:drink:

[ Edited by: aquaorama on 2003-01-11 17:48 ]

Welcome aboard, Aquaorama!

I'm glad you found your way here. I like your tongue-in-cheek idea of a Tundra Tiki Bar. That's the idea. Keep thinking positive. I hope you build it.

There's got to be some benefit to living in Alaska. Don't those glass fishing floats turn up there more frequently than down South? Maybe you can corner the market on them.

Great to have you on the site.

Sabu

Welcome Aquaorama, I know of the Tiki Lounge of which you speak. If you like I'll take some pics of the tikis outside the lounge and post them here (make you home sick), Minnie's just south on McHenry has a few tikis also, with a little TLC they would look a lot better. Welcome, JT

Aquaorama, welcome to Tiki Central! Bummer you'll be moving to the frozen shores of Alaska but hey, you can still create you own faux island there too. Maybe you can set something up and post some pics!

Oh yes, Minnies, good food. on my way to Alaska next month I'll be stopping by Minnies and the old "Tiki Lounge". They make a mean Long Island Ice Tea. I couldn't believe it when I saw a picture of it in "The Book of Tiki"! I will post a picture of all of us Coast Guard guys kicking back with tropical drinks in the snow once I get there!
:drink:

D

Aloha fellow tiki-ites!

I am donhonyc. My tikiness was originated in Florida via the Mai Kai of Fort Lauderdale, one of the jewels of the tiki galaxy. I live n New York City and on my most recent visit to the Mai Kai, galvanized my quest for Tiki in other parts of the planet. Viva Polynesia Americana!

I'M BACK!!!! Heeeheheheeeeeheeeeee
Dunno where the heck I disappeared to, but I'm back, and (crossin' my fingers) I should be at Crawl 3~!
PEa

Welcome DonHoNYC.
You might be interested to know we're planning a mega-tiki gathering at the Mai Kai, June 27th and 28th. It's called the Hukilau. Check out the events forum, or use the search function for more info.
How long did you live in the Sunshine state?

D

Aloha Kailuageoff-
The Mai Kai thing in June sounds fun. I lived in f Ft. Laud for about ten years. The Mai Kai was never a place that we went to. In fact I think we went there once when I was a kid. I only rediscovered it about ten years ago and have been going back every time I visit Ft. Lauderdale. The Mai Kai has seem to have withstood the test of time. There were many places like Mai Kai-not necessarily tiki-that were marketed to the tourist crowd. One place in particular was a place that you may have heard of called 'The Caves' which was right down the street, Never went there, but it looked cool. Prehistoric theme restaurant. They closed it about 2 or 3 years ago. Any cool tiki in central Fla??

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-14 20:20 ]

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-01-14 20:22 ]

T

I went to the Caves 2 or 3 years ago. Had a dinner of ribs served in a booth in a cave by a server in an animal print wrap (like the Flinstones wore)! I have pictures that were on the old Yahoo Tiki Central. I'll have to upload them again some day.

Last time I was in Fort Lauderdale (almost exactly a year ago) I drove by and the Caves was gutted by fire! Quite sad.

Hey, I'm diabloman...my real name is nick, and I've just recently discovered the awesomeness of tiki. In any event, I'm remodelling my basement to be a big tiki room/tiki bar sort of affair. If anyone had any suggestions it'd be great if they could shoot them over to me, cause I want this to be great. My email is [email protected]

M

Wow, I'm soo glad I stumbled upon you guys! I'm a tiki Mug collector from Maui. Get this...My e-bay user ID is TikiRob. I was doing a search to find out more about "Chiki Tiki" mugs I saw on e-bay. One of the search results led me to Tiki Central where Tiki Central's "TikiRob" had commented on them.

E

Aloha and welcome MauiTiki:

Hey, all I wanna know is, "How do I get a job in Maui?" I'm Canadian, but my wife is from Minnesota. In other words, we both want to escape the cold some day. Currently on Canda's West Coast, and dying to jump off and head West some day!

Sigh...you lucky dawg. But I know this isn't your problem. We'll figure something out!

pinin',
emspace

C

Aloha
I'm new to this list, but I have been a tiki fan for many years. I have also gone by the names of "Swampey" and "Clowney" among others. You may know me from Vic Trolas Lounge of Self Indulgence and that old listserv.
I moved to DC from Atlanta in '99 - my home tiki bar "The Shell Bar" will be re-opening shortly.

Aloha Chacha, welcome to Tiki Cental! :)

Aloha, Chacha.

My wife and I are transplants to DC from Atlanta as well. Except for 18 months in Portland, OR, I've been in the DC area since '96. I look forward to meeting you at a future DC gathering.

L

Aloha!

I just discovered your wonderful board a few days ago. I love all things vintage, and consider myself a pop-culture historian. In real life, I'm a librarian & curator in sunny, tropical Philadelphia, PA. I look forward to talking tiki with all of you!

Hi there Leilani, I too am in Philly and I love all things tiki and vintage. Welcome!

K

Well, I suppose this would be an appropriate place for a newbie to post. Page 15? Cripes!

Anyway, I am a lifelong tiki fanatic thanks to both my place of birth and current residence being Columbus Ohio, home of the Kahiki (RIP).

That and a few trips as a wee one to Disney and the Enchanted Tiki Room were all it took.

Now I spend an inordinate amount of time and effort trying to recapture the magic of both....in my basement.

Sad, sad, sad. I need to get out more. Less rum, more work.

At the moment I am looking around for a few like minded folks who share more of the love of the drinks and decor, and less of the obsessive ebay mega buying that seems to have pulled even my hometown Kahiki mugs out of the thrift stores. Alas, most folks seem interested in the material hoarding and not that special unexplainable magic show of rum and ambiance that drew me in well before folks started making $150 limited edition new "tiki" crap.

I am glad to see the rather large number of tiki freaks here that plan trips to the old bars and restaurants. They need the support.

And of course it is cool to see people like Swanky collecting the old records out of interest and not profit.

I'd better go make my Tiki Gardens donation now.

[ Edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2005-01-10 22:44 ]

M

Cruisin' the web looking for more Tiki info and stumbled onto the forum. I've been a Tiki Lover for as long as I can remember. Born in So California and lived here all my life. Great to see so many folks are also Tiki Lovers.

Mark

Just to say hi. Been tikified for quite a few years now. I wrote a review for Chan's Dragon Inn in Ridgefield, NJ and it seems to have caused quite a stir around here, so I figured I would join. Looking to finish my basement bar in classic tiki fashion, so any kool stuff for sale would help me out. Especially if you are in the NJ area. You may know me from the exotica mailing list or from the exoticaring as Charlieman.

Welcome MrkCat and D'Artagnan Pluck. You're in the right place. We're all nuts about tikis. JungleTraderVic

Hi everyone.
My name is deVille,Lounge deVille,..I thought I might
Pop in for a morning hello.
If I find a way to insert my signature into my post,
It will spice up my background a bit.
(My art decorates with polynesian themes for an exotic change of atmosphere and mood,not just for the special event,but for home design.)
Look foward to relaxing over a cool one with you
folks soon,maybe tonight.("The Sea"-Bobby Daren)
-Lounge

Aloha Lounge deVille and Welcome to Tiki Central! Any relation to Cruella? :)

This is some bass a** tiki site! You brothers and sistas sure know your tiki! Just graduated from LBstate. One of you should teach a class there. I'm gonna read on now.

Aloha Pele,
Welcome to tiki Central. Yeah, not everyone here is making a buck from tiki. Some of them are working their butts off making and selling tiki stuff and losing money anyway. Like you, I'd rather just spend it and not bother with the extra effort. Thanks for sending your pledge, and don't take any rides from strangers...
KG

Hiya All! I'm new =)

I love Tiki decour! It's good to finally find a place where I can talk to people who share the same love as I do. I'm a youngin at 21, so all I know about Tiki is that it's rad, and that i've been to The Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland =) I want to make my own tiki room one day, and this seems like a great place to get some advice and helpful tips! Look forward to talking to you all =)

-TikiStitch

[ Edited by: TikiStitch on 2003-01-31 17:34 ]

Welcome TikiStitch. There are lots of folks here who could definitely help you construct a tiki room. It would be cool to put everyone's talents together and see what we could accomplish. JTvic

Aloha,

Just signed up and wanted to poke my head in and say "hi." I'm in St. Pete, FL and a long time tiki fan, having spent many an hour in my youth at WDW's Tropical Serenade.

I have a modest mug collection and one Shag print (after seeing originals in Dallas last year, prints will no longer do :)) and hope to start scupting some serious tiki later this year to decorate the backyard.

I'm looking forward to Hukilau -- I went to the Mai Kai on a whim two years ago visiting some of my wife's friends in Ft. Lauderdale, and was blown away! Quite a step up from Sarasota's Baihai Hut.

I'm also happy to see the Tiki Garden project underway. Four years ago I parked in that lot on a trip to the beach and came away scratching my head. What a shame.

Anyway, I'll see you all around.

D

Welcome aboard. I hear ya about the Baihai Hut. I'm from Bradenton! Glad someone else is from this area also...

Hello everyone, I am Captaintiki but my name is Dan. I am a new member to tiki central. I enjoy anything about tiki and island life. Feel free to chat with me or email me at [email protected].

Captaintiki!
Phoenix,AZ

S

Hello all! I've started a "Hi, I'm here" thread already so I'll just say Hi!

Hi!

Aloha, Ia Orana and all that kind of island hello's - Just surfing around and found this excellent site. Been thinking of opening my own South Pacific/Tiki restaurant and bar what do you think? Just like the old Trader Vics and Don The Beachcomber - Good food, good drinks and good fun.

Pacific Andy, on behalf of myself and Tiki Bong, welcome to Tiki Central!

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-17 15:44 ]

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-17 15:44 ]

Welcome Pacific Andy. Would you please open a South Pacific/Tiki Restaurant bar grill happenin' place where I live? We need new eats badly. Applebee's is the best thing we have here.

Thanks, Just cruzing around. Where do you live and we can set one up. Just been busy trying to make this happen.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies