Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

A big warm welcome to everyone. :tiki:

H

Big Kahuna59, I am enjoying reading all your informative posts. Welcome to TC and thanks for all the info.

N

ALOHA EVERYONE.. A little late on introducing myself but better late than never.. My real name is ignacio (nacho)fer short but you can call me notch. I build hot rods and custom for a living and ready to show some of yous my tiki carvings and you might have seen my monster tiki bar that wuz at forbidden island last swap meet(fun times) I will be posting up some pictures up later and hope you like..Also this site and everyone in it is AWESOME!!!!!!

[ Edited by: notch 2007-01-23 18:57 ]

S

Hi everyone - new to art of making tikis. Just ordered some chisels and excited about trying to bring something out of the wood! Besides band-aids, I'll be looking for advice and many answers... Looking forward to being part of the community!

P

Hello.
I only found this site last weekend, made a coupla posts and still reading through it, found the introductions. In any case,

I am a pale-blue irish boy from the northeast, (approximately four miles east of the Kowloon, actually!) a student of the ukulele and hapa-haole songs, got married in Hawaii, (leap-year day, 2000!), got to see Rudy Aquino and the Lanui Band nightly at Ka'anapali and fell in love with all things Polynesian! (Heck, I even enjoyed that artificial mucus they have out there... Poi.)

I originally joined to see if someone could help me with a song I found, ("Down Honolulu Way," Earl Burnett, 1916. See "Chords for Uke Tunes" in Tiki music,) but have been reading up on all this neat stuff! What a great site! Seems too be a number of you from this area, too. I am sorry I didn't join sooner to get to that big Kowloon meet'n'greet, but I plan to visit a local Polynesian themed watering hole this weekend with a camera to share an experience at "Fantasy Island" for your "Locating Tiki" forum.

This is SOOOO my bag, baby!

Welcome passerby
Looking forward to meet you. Definitely try to hook up with the New England Ohana of Tiki Central - its a great bunch of guys and gals! Glad you found us!

Greetings to the newbies among us...and Sunrise...get them chisels and start chipping
away. you will find a lot of support and encouragement in "Creating." Looking forward
to some new creations.

Hello everyone,
I'd like to introduce myself,My name is Mondo.Ive been into Tiki for alittle over 2 years now and I can't seem to get enough of it.First started with a Tiki mug I found @ a thrift store "Tiki Leilani"Then an avalanche of other tiki mugs I got here and there,antique and thrift stores,Ebay (CRUIZINACADDY),and then Coco Joe stuff,post cards,Tiki bar Menus,Then carvings,and now its anything Tiki I'm insane I guess.I like to hang out @ Forbidden Island when I get a chance with some of my buddies like Kahaka or Nacho and some of the Tiki Central Grand Members a great bunch of the koolest people you could ever meet and I can't wait to meet all of you.
MAHALA @ ME
MONDO

Hey everyone, baked pajamas here...Kinda new to the Tiki community, about a year now, and I'm a little confused where I fit in, in all of this. Maybe someone here can help.

Tiki Bar TV got me hooked into the Tiki lifestyle, and after looking around for a while, I still have the questions "What is Tiki, and what does it mean to you?"

On one hand you have your Tiki purists who live the Polynesian island life and then on the other end of the spectrum, you have zombies and werewolves, all somewhat under the Tiki umbrella.

Personally, Tiki to me is somewhere in between. I love the vintage clothes the women wear, of course the killer rum drinks, but then I also love the art deco-noir colors and overall look, Cheesy home made Tiki Bars and goofy things like zombies.

This is what Tiki means to me.

Now, should I hang my head in shame and walk away for being a faux-tiki fan, or, can Tiki be more than one thing, cover many different aspects, and still be called Tiki.

I am interested in everyone's answer to this. I would really love to see what Tiki means to Y-O-U. -Baked Pajamas

Love your name...LOL. There are so many members in this community that are tiki experts and supporters of Polynesian Pop, that I am sure you will get lots of different answers. Click on the about link at the top of the page and you will get the basics. I think if you cruise around on this board and all the related links, you will find your style and people are really helpful and friendly on this board, so glad you posted and welcome to TC.

H

Welcome to TC, BP!

I know BP from the Tiki Bar TV boards, he's a good guy.

In regards to your question: 1) one should never hang their head in shame for liking what they like (unless what they like is to kick puppies, or to listen to Celine Dion), 2) Tiki Central is focused on a kind of specific thing, with a definite value placed on quality & history, best described here: About Tiki Central, 3) the best way to get a feel for what tiki is and isn't as it pertains to the discussions here on TC is to soak it up, read as much as you can.

The "what does it mean to you" question has come up many times before, here's a response I gave in 2004, which still holds true:

On 2004-09-09 21:02, Humuhumu wrote:

I feel like I've described my attraction to tiki in threads similar to this one a dozen times over (but it's a topic worth bringing up again and again, I certainly don't mind). If I were in a searchy mood, I'd link to more threads (like christiki did), I think you newer folks would love to read them.

Right now, I'll just say that when I walk into a good tiki bar, especially a good home tiki bar, though I get the same feeling from a good Trader Vic's or Tiki-Ti, it feels like a no-contact massage. I don't understand it entirely, but that environment--with its dim lighting, clutter, and a vague air of mystery--completely relaxes me even if I'm not drinking. It's nutty. It feels like home to me more than any other environment I've ever encountered. It's like one big, grassy, musty, dusty womb.

Here's the rest of that topic:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=10802&forum=1&start=0

Welcome to TC, and have fun exploring!

Hello Tiki Central! My Hubby was in the UK hoping to get to the New Tiki Bar in London but had to come home. Bullocks! Maybe he'll get a fabulous drink and some great pictures of Tiki on the next visit. Please report if you've had a chance to get there.

TC

Greets All!

It is refreshing to see I am not the only tiki nut around! How active is the Texas Tiki contingent? I am down here in South Texas on the coast and am wondering how many more afflicted with a passion for all things Tiki might be around here.

Cheers!

Tiki Celt

Hello all. There are a lot of good artists on this here site. I hope to show my spin on the subject to those that might appreciate. Been makin easter island stuff and tikis for a while, but don't get much chance to show it off. Looking forward to dialogue with fellow artists, and socialites.
THANKS
CHRIS

Hi all,

I'm Jamie Fellrath, from Columbus, OH. I'm not going to lie and say I've been a tiki culture fan for decades or anything like that, it's sort of a passing interest/attraction that I've had for a long time but never anything concrete. But as I've gotten older, I've become more appreciative of lounge/cocktail culture in general and tiki culture specifically.

I've always liked the looks of island fashion in many respects, from Hawaiian-type shirts to home decor and such. My grandparents had a whole lot of island-type casual dinnerware, lots of bamboo furniture, and other polynesian-type stuff in their home when I was younger and I always loved it. I don't have any real "collectibles" myself, but I do have a few items around my home with a tiki flavor to them.

I consider myself fortunate enough to have been able to enjoy a meal at the Kahiki in Columbus before it was razed (and in outrage, I haven't been to a Walgreens since). I recently (just this past week, to be specific) discovered the Tropical Bistro in Hilliard, OH (suburb of Columbus) and greatly enjoyed an evening there with my family visiting in town. That visit and the fond memories I have of the Kahiki, along with my ongoing interest in the topic, prompted me to jump on board the outrigger and join you here!

I'm also a fan of Celtic culture and entertaining, hence the username. Yes, I really wear kilts quite a bit. Currently considering trying to make myself a Hawaiian print casual kilt... that might be fun to have. :)

I'm still discovering a lot about the history of tiki culture but look forward to learning more with you!

Jamie Fellrath

MT

On 2007-01-22 12:47, NOTCH wrote:
ALOHA EVERYONE.. A little late on introducing myself but better late than never.. My real name is ignacio (nacho)fer short but you can call me notch. I build hot rods and custom for a living and ready to show some of yous my tiki carvings and you might have seen my monster tiki bar that wuz at forbidden island last swap meet(fun times) I will be posting up some pictures up later and hope you like..Also this site and everyone in it is AWESOME!!!!!!

[ Edited by: notch 2007-01-23 18:57 ]

Hey Nacho! Welcome aboard. Glad to see you posting here. See ya at Forbidden Island!

hey kids-

my name is dave and i've been lurking for a little bit now. hmmm...im from chicago and have been absorbed in tiki-fantacism for about five months now. i dont know how to explain exactly how i got into it other than i awoke one morning and decided that my apartment needed a tiki bar. it might be from seeing the now defunct "pago pago" sign everyday on the train or my love of rum based drinks. i'm constantly trying to make "the tiki bar" (the defacto name the roomates have given it) more perfect but cost is always an issue. anyways, as lame as this sounds; even when i have the worst day at work i can always think about how great it is to have a tiki bar. cheers.

[ Edited by: davealmost 2007-02-07 00:14 ]

Daniel C. Boyer from Houghton, Michigan.

K
Koka posted on Sun, Feb 11, 2007 4:21 AM

Hello everyone, Koka here (aka scott). A fellow Tiki nut down the street told me about the site a while back and I finally got around to stopping by. I've been in love with all things Tiki for a long time and I'm ready to start carving, so I'll be asking some questions that my searches don't answer and hopefully be posting some pics soon!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 5:59 AM

ARR!!!!
Aloha everyone! I Live in Spain and know a lot about spain´s tiki secrets. My favorite tiki treasure is a copy of Thor Heyerdahl´s AKU-AKU. Signed on 1981 in Madrid.
Any questions about TIKI in spain? contact me.
Pirataz

Z

M

Welcome to Tiki Central Koka and Zeta! Have fun here. It's a huge family.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Hi, I'm blowtiki from Long Beach. I first joined Tiki Central in April 2003. Then I lost my password and I was never able to log in again. Anyway, I live in Long Beach and I cannot wait for the return of Sam's seafood. I also like the Puka Bar. Here's an picture from the old Sam's Seafood.

Hi my name is Sondre, I'm new on this board and I'm from Oslo, Norway. Drives around in a '34 Ford Pick Up Truck, collects tiki mugs, and use my sparetime creating websites and atomic lounge art, check out my webpage: http://www.superfleyeproduction.com

hi! new member here! name's talia and i just surfed on by accident while looking for tiki themed illustrations for a show i have coming up next month. so i thought i'd join up! how goes, everyone?

Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for a few months now. Really enjoy the site. Looking forward to becoming more Tiki wise.

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Alooooha everybody!
It is great to be here. I have a nice view of the stage and I'm ready for the show to begin. :) I have always been drawn to tiki art, atomic art and googie. It has been a few years since I was purusing the internet for anything Tiki. I can't believe all the info now! At the time I was doing some research for a local restaurant (Sacramento, Ca.) Still nothing has been done with it, but I became very passionate over the project. I couldn't bear to see my "baby" bulldozed. Well, the season for Tiki has come back into my life. I have new goals and will be asking questions from time to time. And doing my part to promote the art and culture of Tiki.

...Liquidspaceman, over and out

H

Hello everyone! My name is Colin from Huntington Beach. I was referred to the site by a friend (4wdtiki) and just got back from the San Diego chop chop. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone that showed up today. I also carved my very first tiki today at the chop. Thank you for the help and tools 4wdtiki and Clysdalle!! I'm hooked!!

On 2007-02-14 09:08, blowtiki wrote:
Hi, I'm blowtiki from Long Beach. I first joined Tiki Central in April 2003. Then I lost my password and I was never able to log in again. Anyway, I live in Long Beach and I cannot wait for the return of Sam's seafood. I also like the Puka Bar. Here's an picture from the old Sam's Seafood.

Yo Blow,

Sam's is lookin' slightly different now.

A little more on the Hwaiiana side...less coffee shop side.

Should be good when done. Keep an eye out!

On 2007-02-17 18:34, HB_Tiki wrote:
Hello everyone! My name is Colin from Huntington Beach. I was referred to the site by a friend (4wdtiki) and just got back from the San Diego chop chop. I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone that showed up today. I also carved my very first tiki today at the chop. Thank you for the help and tools 4wdtiki and Clysdalle!! I'm hooked!!

HB tiki!

Rock on man!!

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:04 ]

Hi there. I'm a tiki/lounge/surf enthusiast who lives in Denver, CO.

I'm actually in the midst of starting a new lounge/exotica/surf band -- keep you posted.

Hello

I am looking for a website or a book that would have pictures of different tikis and the meanings behind them. Doe anyone have any info if so email me at [email protected] i would greatly appreciate it.

Aloha kâua, everyone.

Just wanted to say hi from the moist, nether region of Texas. I'm a pedal steel guitarist and singer for our Hawaiian combo, "The Grass Skirts". I also make stained glass artwork in my spare time.

A big shout of "mahalo" goes to Unkle John and Formikahini for encouraging me to join. I'm also familiar with some of you forum members on other forums (howzit, Haole Kats!).

I look forward to learning from all of you. E ho'omaka maika'i loa kâkou!

A hui hou...

Mateo

What a HUGE number of recent folks - welcome welcome!

I'm particularly happy to have you new Texas TC-ers, Sizzlepixels and Mateotiki - there certainly are not enough of us, and we are a state rich with Tiki (if ya know where to look :wink: ).

Also loving having more exotica musicians on board, Tikitheremin. Will your band have one (a theremin), I hope?

And thanks Blowtiki for the great shot of Sam's. I covet those giant clam shells in the waterfall.

Welcome to all of you newcomers. We hope to learn from you, just as you hope to learn from the storehouse of collective knowledge here.

Formikahini

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

On 2007-02-21 10:39, tikitheremin wrote:
Hi there. I'm a tiki/lounge/surf enthusiast who lives in Denver, CO.

I'm actually in the midst of starting a new lounge/exotica/surf band -- keep you posted.

Great tikitheremin, I'm in the midst of starting a new lounge/restaurant and will be looking for bands 8) BTW do you play a theremin? I love those instruments.

:tiki:...Liquidspaceman, over and out. :tiki:

J
jonvw posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 6:21 PM

Hello everyone! Jonvw from Maine here. I'm interested in all things mid-century, but especially food and drink. I have a particular fondness for tiki culture, having been initially exposed to it at the venerable Hala Kahiki in suburban Chicagoland. Since moving to the farthest reaches of New England, I have certainly missed it. I won't say there is no tiki here, and I understand there are quite a few active TCers in New England, but tiki has certainly been a challenge to find.

I'm happy this forum exists to give a fellow on the frontier a chance to get his tiki fix!

-jonvw

In AA-like unison: "Welcome Jon!"

Only 6 to go until 6000 members!

R

Hi everybody. I'm Rumgoat, I live in Las Vegas, where we have occasional outbreaks of Tiki. I've been sort of fascinated by all the post WWII architecture (Tiki, Googie, etc.) I used to see all over Southern California as a kid, in a casual way. I don't know, I'm bad with introductions.

Rumgoat

J

Hi all! My name is Jamie and I work for a company called Pet Flys, http://www.petflys.com. We manufacture pet carriers and accessories. We want to do a tiki design and are looking for an artist to work with. This could be a great opportunity for exposure and we are offering compensation of 100$ plus 100$ in product and credit on our website with a link to your website. We are looking for a colorful, cartoon type, original tiki motif titled "It's Tiki Time". Please contact us with samples of your artwork or suggestions.

S

A little late here with the intro... I'm Scott, from the Boston, MA area. I'm a lover of rums, and started researching good rums a few years ago and have amassed a good bit of knowledge so far. Of course, I'm always looking for more. I very recently "rediscovered" tiki drinks and have been researching and concocting my old favorite, the Mai Tai, for the last few weeks. 20 Mai Tais later and I still haven't found the perfect recipe - I'm close, but have yet to find the correct rum pairing. It's a tough job, but I'll keep trying.

I'm glad to be here, and very glad to find a good group of knowledgable devotees.

B
Brian posted on Wed, Feb 28, 2007 9:00 PM

Hey, what's up guys? I joined a while back but I've pretty much just been lurking. My name's Brian, I grew up on the East Coast but now live next to the beach in San Diego. I've always dug Tiki-type stuff, surfing, etc., but just found out about this whole community when I stumbled into Tiki Oasis last year. Good stuff...

Lurking time is over. I'm Ron, from Petaluma, Ca. I'm a born and raised Northern California Boy.

I'm steadily working on my home bar, THE DEN OF INIQUITIKI, so when I get it to a point where I feel it worthy of a snapshot, I'll post some pictures. I've been to The Forbidden Island a few times for inspiration and intoxication. Thanks!
If you find yourself driving through town one day and you feel a bit parched, check to see if the bar is open.

...gotta get back to cocktail practice!

T

Mahalo everyone

just joined. I am the architect/designer of the Dallas Trader Vics renovation.

It is finally finished and officially opens tonight. we did take extreme care to save and protect all of the original finishes and artifacts that were still intact when we started almost 2 years ago. I think you will be pleased. The new tiki columns and carved planks at the new entry corridor were custom carved in Indonesia to match the originals. I am also working on the Destin location.

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:24 ]

Tikiarch,

LOVELY work on the Dallas Trader Vic's!! It's an almost pristine jewel (and I don't mind that you took out the pit!). We were thrilled with every detail; I got to be there for the run-through last Saturday) and I look forward to making many many more road trips north to see it again :)

Formikahini

Hi! I'm Headhunter Ron from the windswept beaches of the Kokosing in Ohio, the surfing capital of Knox County. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and decided to join. I've been collecting tiki for a year or so, drinking rum for as long as I can remember. I'm also president of the United Federation of Rednecks in Hawaiian Shirts (I'm also the only member).

Welcome to all the new folks here. I see a couple of NorCal peeps, so just hooking you up with a little party at my house in another week. :)
Vamps on Saturday, March 10th

Aloha folks, yet another newbie here... I'm an are student right now, and very interested in kitsch tiki art (I'm also a big fan of rum..). Maybe you'll be seeing some of my art soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies