Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

F

Ahloa!

I just thought that I should say hello to you all and introduce myself a bit. I’ve been hanging around Tiki Central for some time, and being member for a couple of months.

I reside in Stockholm, Sweden and am doing my best to live a tiki life up here in the cold north. I collect mugs, smoke cigars, mix and drinks exotic drinks and cocktails, collect books, organize armchair exploration trips and try to spread the tikiness here in Stockholm as often as I can.

Thanks for a superb site and aloha to you all!

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

It's really great reading all the introductions on this thread. Is there a way to keep this thread at the top of all the other posts, so those that those who are new to tiki central can find it right away and reply?

...Liquidspaceman, over and out :tiki:

wow...this forum brings back memories of when I posted here like...a year ago. Oh man. Aloha TC! POCKYTIKI HAS RETURNED! :)

R

Aloha! Ive been on T.C. for a while mostly just looking not posting or replying so much but I thought I should formally introduce myself..my name is Reid-O and I live in Canada and yes! Tiki is alive and well in Canada! I own a company called 'Taboo Tiki' with a Partner (who some of you might already know as...Taboo Dan). I spend most of my time in my shop knocking out tikis while Dan is mainly busy in the shop designing and building us the next best tiki bar for one of our customers. I am also a self-proclaimed tiki addict and spend alot of my time at thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets looking for the next big tiki find! Anyways looking forward to talking with my new extented family....I knew I wasn't a weirdo!...and, check out my carving thread in 'creating tiki' let me know what you think..Aloha!

First time here..
lot's of cool Tiki stuff!
and..
TIKI PEOPLE!!
I thought i was alone in the world...
if you have room for one more.. I'll bring the beer!
Rikki

A big warm tiki welcome to all the new folks joining the board. This is a great place to fuel your tiki addicion....so enjoy your stay. :)

Hello all!

Newbie here. I've been a sideline fan of Tiki/retro style for a long time but when I got a Tiki tattoo done recently I decided to embrace my Tiki obsession more fully. Here's a really bad picture of the tattoo!

Any other Pittsburgh area folks out there? If you read this drop me a line to say "Hi!" or just wait to see the above tattoo with me atttached, at the Tiki Lounge on Carson sometime.

Always been obsessed with tikis, tropical paradise, exotic cocktails, and topless girls.

Now I'm here.

Hello.

Hi I am a tropical tiki type in the token tropics.
My love of the culture probly began by my being
blessed to travel & live world wide by having two military
fathers. Hawaii was awesome, natch, & I currently
reside in southern florida. I am sure to enjoy
the company I have found here, it started on an art search.
Thor was the wonderful result !!! Very talented man !
Have some rum for me !
Later gators
tiki tube

[ Edited by: Tiki Tube 2007-03-25 00:03 ]

Hello everyone!

Aloha!
Took me a while to find this thread...I’ve been lurking around TC for many years, mainly to pick up tips on restoring rattan or working with bamboo (I did interior design work for a while). I really enjoy reading the posts, very informative and entertaining!

Anyhow, I'm Gina, currently residing in northern New Jersey with hubby D, 2 parrots (Hero & Martiki), and the rest of the menagerie, and have been obsessed with Tiki-stuff for quite a while now. Sometimes I blame it on the many family birthday parties at places like Jade Fountain or Lee’s Hawaiian (both gone to the great Polynesian luau in the sky), but the truth is we both think all things Tiki are just plain fun and D looks great in Hawaiian shirts!

Our Tiki collection is pretty small (a few mugs, some housewares, lots of old barkcloth, a ridiculous amount of ephemera, etc.) but our alcohol collection is huge, and we regularly make our own mixers (orgeat, grenadine, etc.). Future plans include finishing our Tiki bar (so far, the 5-year project paradise) and getting to know more tiki-philes in the tri-state.

Aloha & mahalo,
Gina

So... i'm new... not much else to say. I live about an hour outside of LA.

Hey there -

I'm Meg - I live in Vancouver, BC with my husband, who luckily also enjoys tikis and the whole tiki lifestyle. We're fairly new to the whole tiki lifestyle, so bear with me. We were introduced to tikism (is that a word?) through my sister in SoCal, who amazingly enough, ripped out her entire dining room in to build a tiki bar/lounge area (however, it's more Hawaiian than traditional tiki) and then again when we visited the Trader Vic's in Bellevue this January, we were completely hooked.

Now, we're ripping out our dining nook and putting in a tiki bar ourselves (I'm in the process of designing one right now - I might have to give Reid-O a ring) and starting a collection. Next month we're headed to Vegas, so we'll head down to the Red Rooster Antique Mall as well as checking out local spots. We're also planning on heading to the Lost Paradise Event in July here in Vancouver. Hopefully I'll meet some of you there!

Meg

On 2007-03-29 17:37, Important Looking Pirate wrote:
So... i'm new... not much else to say. I live about an hour outside of LA.

So no pirates means no swag and no swag means no grog. And we're getting dangerously low on grog.

Welcome to TC Important Looking Pirate!

Word of advice:
Be careful how low you go on GROG, that can be dangerous...

:lol:

see ya around,
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-03-30 10:09 ]

Hi,
I'm Mag1cman from Seattle WA. I love Sunning in paradise !!!
So I've been working on creating some of my own here in Seattle.
I am some what of the pirate type so i use this theme in my creations.
my yard is surrounded in ponds my favorite is my 6ft skull waterfall made of rock and mortar with a 4 ft wave that flows off its forehead into a gathering pond,anywhere u walk on my property u can hear moving water ... it's pretty cool.
Another cool one is the ship mast its made to look like an old ship mast but it has a pull down sail that turns into a full outdoor movie screen for watching great outdoor movies. My tiki bar is in its own area with hot tub and great seating. On any giving night I light up to about 20 tiki torches,
so it feels very tropical. My next door neighbors are from the tropics,and they tell me it really reminds them of home ...
must see to appreciate ...

Ohh ya, I also have a large collection of Witco Dragon furniture that we've been living with for many years ... some are the exact same pieces as Elvis has in his Jungle Room in Graceland but unfortunately it's time that we must sell them so in the next few days i will doing some more posting about this ... i might even run them on ebay ... if U want to see them check out this page ...

http://www.at420.com/raven/jungleroom

Nice to meet u and happy hunting,
Peace,
Mag1cman

Aloha!

I'm Mrs. JohnnyP AKA Octopussy (I've painted a few octopus had a shark bite and came up with the name). Now I've decided to jump aboard after meeting some really neat people in Tampa and at the MaiKai (what a fun time).

welcome aboard Octa, or Mrs. Johnny P. Nice pics from the Mai Kai. Now get your hubby
back to work carving something, or at least posting what he's working on. And you can
show some more painting pics too!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2007 6:17 PM

Greetings octopussy!! Glad to see you on the boards. I think you two are going to need a cable modem now.......

-G

Hello,

I am new here. My name is Alison and I am from Scotland, UK.

I've recently become interested in New Zealand and Pounamu, but currently only have some natural pounamu drop pendants.

I'd love to have a small greenstone tiki but am having difficulty finding small carvings on ebay and such places, plus I am unsure as to how much one of these would be and whether it will fit in my budget. So I have come to Tiki Central to learn more about Tiki, the art of carving, and to keep an eye out for anyone who has carved a small Tiki.

Aloha from Sin City (aka Las Vegas), Nevada. After a couple of years monitoring the boards and immersing myself into tiki-dom, I finally decided to take the jump here! I'm pretty much a punk rocker, but my softer side enjoys surf guitar and exotica. I also love to paint and take pictures, so I'm hoping to find a way to combine my interests in punk rock with tiki/lounge/exotica within my art work. So here I am to fill my brain with mental, audio, and visual stimulus!

Hey everybody, been a lurker for a while but decided to start posting. Knew there was an introduction thread hidden here somewhere.

I'm a carver, woodworker, metalworker, and general connoisseur of art with a polynesian/hawaiian and african flair. Love masks, especially african masks, also love tiki, and "tropical" things.

Hope to put up some of my tiki stuff when I have a camera again, or they're anything more than raw materials, whichever comes first.

B

Welcome distantwonder, hawaiiansnowball and mcsommerreid! Don't be afraid to lurk, we all do it. However, this site is a lot more fun when everyone participates. If you have lurked for a while, you probably already know about the great search engine on TC. Look-up your topics/questions first because you may find a great thread that you may want to bump and contribute to. Have fun and have a mai tai.

Hi everyone. I'm new to TikiCentral so bear with my mistakes. This such a killer site I had to join in.

I'm from Birmingham, Alabama. I really like the whole tiki atmosphere. I draw some, but haven't gotten into sculpting yet. Maybe y'all will inspire me.

K

ARRrrr!!
Welcome to TC, Anne Bonny!

:drink:
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-04-05 12:22 ]

Aloha! I'm new to the posts, but come to tiki culture via more than 3 decades of infatuation with Les Baxter album covers, San Diego's Hanalei Hotel glimpsed from the 8 Freeway, dangerous safaris to find Bali Hai's Hidden Tiki, hearing the birds sing words and the flowers croon, shaking Leroy Schmaltz's sawdust-covered hand, and living within Martin-Denny-birdcall distance of the Bahooka restaurant. Great to be here!

On 2007-04-05 12:21, kikekeki wrote:
ARRrrr!!
Welcome to TC, Anne Bonny!

:drink:
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-04-05 12:22 ]

Arrrr!!

Howzit from Harlem! I'm Doc. I've been an occasional lurker on TC, and I've decided to take the plunge at long last.

I'm a tiki and exotica enthusiast, dating back to when my mother went into labor dancing to "Hawaiian War Chant" on Sha Na Na. My mug collection officially reached "build new shelves" status last week. It's good to be here.

Hello all,
My name is Dave Wilcher and my wife Keli. We are a general contracting firm out of southern California dedicated to bringing the Tiki lifestyle to backyards through out our area. Very glad to have found this website thanks to "Tiki Pop"(Steve). We look forward to being a part of the Tiki family.
Aloha and Mahalo! :)

G'DAY! G'DAY FROM THE GREAT WHITE NORTH EH!!

what an awsome site!!

sw

Hello All,

Just thought I would say "Hi!" I found this site while searching for all things Shag related.

I would not call myself a hipster, so much as an art collector and lover of Hawaiian items. :)

U

Greetings, fellow tikiphiles!
This is my first venture into TC, other than as a casual observer, but I had the chance to attend the Tonga Hut art show back in March and was blown away by how cool the whole Tiki Ohana is, so I thought "What the hey..." and here I am. By the way, the username refers to my personal appearance (think "Sufferin' Bastard" and you get the idea!), and not any grandiose claims about the few mugs I do have.

M

Doc, siMcOe Wabo, Gromit, and UggaMug! Lurking ends now! We know who you are. Have fun!

A Big welcome to TC!

Mahalo

McTiki

Hey all, im tiki thomas

Long time tiki connoisseur but new to the forum. I have been contemplating joining this forum for a while, but have been lazy. Im into scuba diving, art, and making music. IM in a ska band called Dr.Skavra. Im also a graphic designer.,ScreamingTiki Graphix, so if you need some sweet design work done, just let me know!

[ Edited by: tikithomas08 2009-08-16 19:33 ]

Wow, is there an influx in new members or am i just imagining things.

Hello.
New to the site I am. Just crusin the net and run across this site somehow.
Wow, I had no idea I wasnt alone.
I'm in my mid forties, done quite abit of traveling. Lived in several exotic places to include Hawaii and Thailand.
I looked at several postings before I posted myself. I had NOOOooooooooo Idea the items I have collected of the past 20 years or so had much worth other than I love it. My friends have told me of my lamps value, but the mugs, menu's, signs, carvings? I really am clueless. I have so much of what the ex-wife called "junk" it would most likely bring many of you to your knees.
I have collected everything from old Longggggggggg Boards "surfboards" to just about every Tommy Bahama shirt ever made. I have hand carved mugs that were carved from a single log. You can see the knot "the center of the log" in the center with the handle off set NOT ATTACHED, but carved out. "I think Koa wood".
I just had to stop researching and make this post.
I'm really, truly in awe. I saw the wooden Tiki God statues "Ki". I have several made of stone that stand 5-6 feet tall. I picked them up in Lanai.

Well, I wont bore you anymore, hope to meet friends in here. I travel alot but have seem to found time for the net at least once a week.
I'll have to get some pictures together and see if you people can help identify some of the pieces.

look forward to getting some pictures posted.

Pop-A-Top

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would take a moment and introduce myself.

My name is Nathan, I'm 32 and live in Long Beach Ca. Those of you who are on myspace may already have me as a friend at myspace.com as tiki_boy.

I first fell in love with tiki way back in the day when I lived in Phoenix Az. My family used to frequent the Kon-Tiki there. However it's only been in the last two years that I started collecting all things tiki for my home and personal sanity :).

Back in 05 I was in the Hilo Hatties in Las Vegas and ran across the Mie Hana mug from Tiki Farm, I bought it not realizing that it would send me into a whole new realm, "Urban Archeology", as some would call it, but I like to think of it as TikiMania.

I hope to learn alot from this site, make some new friends and contribute to it as well.

If you are on myspace drop me line, I'm very proud of my page so far (Even if it does have some pirate and caribbean items on it :)).

[ Edited by: tiki_fever 2007-04-11 12:17 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_fever 2007-04-11 12:18 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_fever 2007-04-11 12:18 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_fever 2007-04-11 12:19 ]

welcome aboard, but isn't there a whole thread dedicated to new member introductions?

On 2007-04-11 12:53, PockyTiki wrote:
welcome aboard, but isn't there a whole thread dedicated to new member introductions?

Hi, PockyTiki. I think this is that thread, though I could be mistaken...?

Uggamug, I introduced myself a couple days ago but just wanted to log on again and say how much I dig your name/alias. Very, very cool and memorable. I may name a backyard tiki after you.

By the way, does anyone know what the more experienced PolyPop tikiphiles are calling these aliases? I'll bet there's a cooler synonym, but I don't know it.

Bahookahuna

On 2007-04-11 15:44, Bahookahuna wrote:

On 2007-04-11 12:53, PockyTiki wrote:

Hi, PockyTiki. I think this is that thread, though I could be mistaken...?

Uggamug, I introduced myself a couple days ago but just wanted to log on again and say how much I dig your name/alias. Very, very cool and memorable. I may name a backyard tiki after you.

By the way, does anyone know what the more experienced PolyPop tikiphiles are calling these aliases? I'll bet there's a cooler synonym, but I don't know it.

Bahookahuna

wow....i totally zoned out. I didn't even realize this was that thread. My bad. D:

Hello All,
My name is TikiPants, and I am a tikiholic.
(All together: "Hi TikiPants")

I came on here to register my mugs, so I can win the trip to Hawaii. Also, just wanted to fraternize will like-minded folks.
Mahalo from Culpeper, Virginia!

Welcome to TC Tikipants!

My brother lives in Virginia, he always calls me 'Shani Pants'

There's a whole group of great tiki aficionados in your area:

http://www.marylanddctiki.com/

On 2007-04-11 18:23, Tikiwahine wrote:
Welcome to TC Tikipants!

My brother lives in Virginia, he always calls me 'Shani Pants'

There's a whole group of great tiki aficionados in your area:

http://www.marylanddctiki.com/

Nice! I'll have to look into these guys and maybe join up.
You have an insane mug collection, btw. I'm envious of your Tiki Bob and your plethora of volcano bowls. Very nice suff. Thanks for the welcome aboard & cheers to your bro.

wow....i totally zoned out. I didn't even realize this was that thread. My bad. D:

PockyTiki: tuning in = good; zoning out = divine. :wink:

Aloha TC!

I have been diggin Tiki and Poly-Pop for as long as I can remember. I figured it was finally time to join the coolest place on the computer internet information superhighway thing!

On 2007-04-12 11:11, TronTiki wrote:
Aloha TC!

I have been diggin Tiki and Poly-Pop for as long as I can remember. I figured it was finally time to join the coolest place on the computer internet information superhighway thing!

the road to Tomorrowland, with Mr. Tom Morrow?

On 2007-04-12 09:50, Bahookahuna wrote:

PockyTiki: tuning in = good; zoning out = divine. :wink:

Mrs. Hoptiki here.

Aloha to all. We are long time Tiki Central lurkers and lovers of all things Tiki. Mr. Hoptiki and I are California born and raised mid century babies. I especially have many fond memories of the Tiki, Poly Pop and Hawaiiana influence that was part of my growing up. Those were wonderful times. I’ve wondered for many years if anyone today remembered or even cared about that era and then I ran across Tiki Central. Thank goodness for all of you. Those of you who remember and the younger ones of you who endeavor to explore and recreate that wonderful time.

Mr. Hoptiki and I have been trying our hand at carving tiki’s for about a year now (when time allows) and will soon be posting some pics in the Carving forum. Neither of us claim to be great artist, all though Mr. Hoptiki does have some cartooning background. Anyway we are having a great time seeing what we can create. Thanks to all the carvers, artists and creators here who’s threads we have scoured through for education and inspiration.

Mahalo for listening, glad to be here,

Mr&Mrs. Hoptiki

Let's hear it for all those mid-century babies!!! YEAH!!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome!

• Myke

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies