Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

L
lukyn posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2007 7:04 AM

Hi friends, how are you?

Lukyn

ConstructoresWeb

Hi Everyone! Just surfed into this site and love it, looking for info on Ernie Menehune & his Village - about an event we are planning. Great Site with awesome info - feels like I'm back in the day in Los Angeles area 60's & 70's. Best parties at Luau's & places called Tiki anything!

SS

First post! Testing testing. It's Tiki Time!

SS

Okay, now that I know it works:
What a great idea for a site for all us Captain Adam Troy wanna-bees (personally, I've only made to Gilligan, but that's another story.) But seriously, my tikiroom qualifications? Once helped deliver a 40' sailboat to Key West. Lived in Key West for 6 months or so (yes, I'm a Buffett fan. Is that a pro or a con?), Married a girl from Hawaii and now call Kailua home (sort of. we go there on "home leave" from my day job in Europe). More Tiki Trash qualifications: Have a closet full of Hawaiian shirts and a genuine tilly-endurable safari jacket (a true classic, that). Actually own a panama hat too (you get the mental picture. Yikes!!) Most importantly: I count hanging out in tiki bars as a character building hobby. Am I "in"?? Do the tiki gods smile on my application for membership????

T

Testing the tiki waters of the coast.

On 2007-11-05 04:04, South Seas wrote:
Am I "in"?? Do the tiki gods smile on my application for membership????

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us! One of us!

S

Aloha! First post, woohoo!

JTA

Hi everyone...just stumbled on this site searching for information on Ralph "Burke" Tyree. This is one of the few places where he seems to be known. I have six of his paintings. Three are animals on black velvet which my mother purchased (a northern owl, a cuckoo, and a dwarf lemur). Two are oil on canvas (?) which were probably painted in the late 1940's. These were both wedding gifts from the artist to my parents. The last is a nude Samoan girl on black velvet. This was given to my father as a loan from the artist in support of an art show. I believe that was in the early 60's. Hard to remember as I was just a kid and the picture was basically stored out of sight...and out of the mind of my two brothers and I. Anyway I like this site as it is interesting to read about the local history of where I grew up (near Stockton and Modesto).

Hi, i am Jesús Torrealba, from Venezuela, i want to share my Tiki erotic art with us, please be patient with my english, i use spanish.

I hope that the image of my art was updated correctly. I am not sure if i need open a new topic of my art, or use a old topic, please can somebody help me with my dude?

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster... since I'll be joining the crawl tomorrow and need something for my name badge, I decided to finally sign up.

I've gone to parts of the last two crawls and have been a pseudo-regular to Forbidden Island Wednesdays. I'll probably still be lurking most of the time, but I'll pop in every once in a while...

Disclaimer: I've known Hanford Lemoore since elementary school... he's the one who introduced me to the tiki culture.

Hello fellow Tikians... Have you visited out tiki virtual world?? http://www.mrtiki.com

I heart tiki... glad to see that so many others do as well.

--Dweeds

Hello everyone and Happy Tiki Crawl Weekend! I have just joined T.C. but have known about it for some time through contact with DJ Otto. It's great to be here! I'm a product of the '60s/'70s beach culture of Huntington / Sunset / Newport / Bolsa Chica beaches in South Cal, having lived in Huntington from '68 to '72. Body surfed at all these places, and became a certified (L.A. County license! - no longer offered) SCUBA diver off Catalina Island at age 15. I am a lifelong fan of surf movies, and quite a bit of surf music.

These days I'm a San Francisco jazz musician. I first met DJ Otto about ten years ago when my band was playing quite a few Martin Denny covers (5 tunes off the "Quiet Village" LP alone!) and some Tijuana Brass tunes too. These days the band is focused on jazz standards and our own tunes but with me on vibes our sound still has a substantial tropical component. I also play marimba. The band plays San Francisco's Park Chalet (behind the Beach Chalet) about once a month...that's a good place to check us out.

I had the great pleasure of seeing a large collection of Rick Griffin's work at the Laguna Art Museum this past summer, what a treat.

Cheers to all!
Blair Helsing

Welcome to all the newbies...this is a great board so have fun. Join the LIVE webcast of the Tiki Crawl VII...it is fun.

torrealbart...that picture is awesome....I hope you sell prints...count me in for one!!! Sent you a PM. :)

O

Hey everyone welcome.

Hey Torrea,very nice artwork. Donde esta usted in Venezuela? I worked in Maracaibo long ago. Have you even been to Barquisimiento, the village is famous for their pottery andI bought some cool pre columbian art when I visited there.

Ojaitimo

K

Hey, what is the Tyree website address?

hey i'm new to posting on tiki central, but have been coming on here for way too long to not post anything (sorry about the delay. my name is denise and i'm 21 years old. anyway, my first introduction to tiki was disney- the enchanted tiki room in florida, when i was really little. since then its grown to an all-encompassing obsession. i'm one of the few michigan tiki-philes out there, but will be moving to vero beach florida in january. just wanted to say aloha and get started on posting!

S2

Hi Everybody,

My name is Sam, I've been peeking in since September. I'm an artist in Calgary Alberta Canada. I've been interested in Tiki since i was a child, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a reaction to the cold frozen tundra, there wasn't much to do other than make art and watch Gilligan's Island or Hawaii 50. Other than that there was a couple of travel agancies with tiki themes on the exteriors, and one restarant with a tiki theme, but my psrrents were never into taking me there.

I've onwed the book of Tiki for 4 or 5 years, and i have others on so called primative art. I've made Tiki Mugs for my friends and family at christmas time for the past 7 yeasrs or so. Resently I've been carving large Tikis out of styro foam. Currently I'm doing more research on tiki styles, historic and contemporary.

This looks like the place to be!

On 2007-11-16 11:34, sam 2005 wrote:
Hi Everybody,

My name is Sam, I've been peeking in since September. I'm an artist in Calgary Alberta Canada. I've been interested in Tiki since i was a child, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was a reaction to the cold frozen tundra, there wasn't much to do other than make art and watch Gilligan's Island or Hawaii 50. Other than that there was a couple of travel agancies with tiki themes on the exteriors, and one restarant with a tiki theme, but my psrrents were never into taking me there.

I've onwed the book of Tiki for 4 or 5 years, and i have others on so called primative art. I've made Tiki Mugs for my friends and family at christmas time for the past 7 yeasrs or so. Resently I've been carving large Tikis out of styro foam. Currently I'm doing more research on tiki styles, historic and contemporary.

This looks like the place to be!

Hey Sam,
Welcome to TC! I met Sam this year at the Calgary Arts & Tattoo Festival. I traded him some TF mugs for his mugs. He had some Tiki carvings on display and one in particular really caught my eye. I'm hoping he'll cast it up & make some copies 'cause I'd really like to do another trade & put it in Mugoomba.

HK

Hi I'm Honu Kai in Santa Rosa NEW to posting but have watched mi partner Tiki Wine Bear at it for years!! Gotta say the crawl in SF/Bay Area was a BLAST and thanks to all yous who made it possible!!!!Much Much fun...Yes!!!

WOW! He finally made it! Welcome Hono Kai (Jay)!

B

Evening all,

Ifm new-ish to much of the world of tiki and have been rummaging around your site for some months now. I live in the land of bamboo and excessive drinking (rural Japan) where I wear a few hats, including bartender. However I will be heading back to New Brunswick (rural Canada) for the entire month of December. My schedule is wide open so I am hoping to hit at least a few great tiki spots. Perhaps do a road trip to Quebec or New England. Any advice, guidance, ideas or help any of you have to offer would be accepted with the utmost gratitude. What are the close-ish places that canft be missed? Are there any events coming up?

Thanks in advance and be gentle, itfs my first time c

M
miko posted on Sat, Nov 24, 2007 5:00 PM

Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to say this is an awesome forum. I am planning a tiki style wedding and stumbled upon this site. There are so many creative people. Thanks for all the great ideas.

I love the essence of the forum. First off I gotta say this style has the best of both worlds, the vintage/retro style and the tropics.

[ Edited by: miko 2007-11-24 17:08 ]

Hi everyone.
I am Alfie I am 28 and have been an avid Tiki freak for years. I have now converted my wife. We have a beautiful 5 month old son named Cash. we are both Hairdressers and Educators for Paul Mitchell. I also tour the country as a motivational speaker. When I get the chance a sing with a Rockabilly/retro country band and have owned my sucessesful photography buisness for 8 years now... its now a when i feel like it gig.
Living in orlando but will be moving near Columbia, MO very soon.
I look forwar to talking toall of you.

my favorite Tiki are a pair i got that hung on the in the movie The Devils Rejects. they are hanging together in the hotel room. by the window...
if you want to see my photography go to http://www.myspace.com/AlfiesRetroPhotography __________

photo of my wife and i at our Wedding

[ Edited by: Tiki Cowboy 2007-12-08 16:53 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Cowboy 2007-12-08 17:10 ]

Aloha all,

I've been lurking here all summer and thought it was about time to post something.

I'm called Calum, I'm originally a native of Scotland, but I've been living here in Sweden for the last 10 years or so.

My main interest is music. I bought my first Martin Denny LP back in 94, but just recently I've decided to complete my collection and have started buying every vintage exotica LP I can get my hands on. Every time I think I must have just about everything, something else turns up .... Where is it all going to end???

Bravo, QVI! One of the great TC names. I'm still laughing. Surprised no one's nabbed it before. Had to say Welcome, I'll look for you in TC Music, and hope you have great fun here!
Cheers nui nui,
SOK

I have been lurking for a while - I love collecting Tiki staff. I live near Clearwater FL.

Can you paint my car for $29.95?

S

Aloha! I've been lurking on this site for quite awhile, thought that it was about time I joined. I love the tiki scene and have been collecting tiki and related memorabilia for several years. I live and grew up in Hawaii since the 60's. I went to many tiki bars in the 70's with my fake I.D. Legal age back then was 18. Anyhoo, this is a great site and some of you characters really crack me up with your hilarious posts, I have also learned a lot from informative posts as well. You are all a great bunch.

Aloha! My name is C.J. I was using google search to see what shows up for my business and saw a review that was posted a few years ago, so I decided to join. I am a General Manager for a polynesian themed miniature golf course in Orlando called Tiki Island Volcano Golf. I noticed the post was a little out-dated. I recently put black light murals of various tiki's in our 4-story volcano, including Lono, Kanaloa, Kane and some others that I made up. The other course will have black light murals in the hole that goes through a cave. I will probably be posting some pictures once the second mural is done. I would also like to write to and thank whoever posted the review of Tiki Island. We also do parrot show here with my blue and gold macaw and umbrellas cockatoo. If anyone would like to check out my web site it is http://www.tikiislandvolcanogolf.com I look forward to seeing more about what this web site is about. Mahalo for reading.

Welcome to all the new folks. :tiki:

Wow CJ...that Tiki Island Volcano Golf looks like a great place. Very nice website too. I know there was someone here on TC that was thinking of starting a tiki golf course, I will try to remember who it was and link them to your post. :)

M

Greetings from the land of 10,000 Lakes. My name is Chris and I've been lurking for a while and finally decided it was time to get involved. I came to Tiki through my discovery and love of Exotica music. After hitting Hala Kahiki for the first time I knew there was no looking back! I'm glad to be a part of the forum.

[ Edited by: MNZombie 2007-12-17 14:21 ]

Hey everyone! I have been lurking around for a while now. I got into Tiki stuff a few years ago when I started selling Lighted Palm Trees. I get a kick out of all the fun everyone is having with the Tiki theme these days.
If anyone ever wants to talk about how our trees could fit in your Home or Business decor,feel free to give me a shout!
You can always check out our cool pictures on our website http://www.dmac-electric.com
We are always looking for New design ideas.So if you have any constructive criticism on our trees we would love to hear it!
Thanks and I hope to Talk to everyone real soon!

K
khona posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2008 1:29 PM

Hi everyone! My very first post here! I've visited this site a few times
the last two or three years. I always wanted to join but never got around to it.

I'm kind of an Exotica/Tiki music fan. I've always been a fan of Gilligan’s Island.
I know, dumb show but I love it. About three or four years ago I got XM Radio.
There was talk back then of a channel they use to have but got rid of called
On The Rocks. They played lounge music. They moved to the channel to their XM Online
site. I started listening and found the music very very fun and good. They played
a Les Baxter exotica song and that set me off to search for more of this crazy,
wild, fun, and beautiful music. That search led me to Martin Denny. I bought
a 2 CD set of the best of Martin Denny. I love this set.

Well, I got an iPod Touch over Christmas and am now doing this iToons thing.
I saw on Tiki Central a review of the Tiki album Voodoo. Sure enough, iToons had
the whole cd and I bought and downloaded it. I'm currently listening to it
for the first time now. I like what I hear!

Hello, I have been lurking around here for a while. It's a great place! My daughter got me interested in making tikis a few years ago out of concrete. I also make other things like plant pots.
But I am really famous for my Musubis which we make for the San Diego Tiki Choppers once a month.

Musubi Mom, Welcome to TC. Your name is making me really hungry.

Just want to say aloha from Maui.. Been lurking on the forum for awhile and thought I'd finally better register and say HOWZIT!! Have a small collection that is growing, mainly Tiki Farm, but always searching for older ones when I get a chance.. (and some extra $ $)

Aloha

All be dazed by the splendor that is Angry Idol. Angry - why? Tiki Gardens would be 15 minutes from my house, if it wasn't destroyed by those damned dirty apes.
Angry Idol, with his mate Moai Lisa, has attended the last two Hukilaus, and it shall never lack for their presence again.
Fear not the Idol, for his Anger is muted by rum, especially in the presence of fez-wearing monkeys, reverb, and Robert Dresnin.

See you all at the Bahi Hut for Mai-Tais and a Freaky Tiki or two.

M
Mouse posted on Sat, Jan 12, 2008 1:40 PM

Just introducing myself. I have been wanting to get into Bone Carving for a very long time now. I don't know the first thing about it, I have been searching random things about it, however I am trying to figure out exactly what tools I am suppose to use. I can't find a diffinent answer to what tools I am suppose to use. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

B

Hi all. Thought I had already done this when I joined a while back - guess not!

My name is Regan and I live in Bothell, Washington - a dinky little town north of Seattle. I got into Tiki because my husband, Carl, and I had been jonsen' for the Big Island and I didn't know how to decorate our very-outdated living/dining room. Virtually, the dining room was for collecting junk we didn't know where to put elsewhere in the house, so I thought; Why not make a Tiki bar and lounge?! So, we are on the long slow road to building a nice little paradise escape. You've met my sister, Motiki Mocha on here, and as she said, SHE started collecting Tiki mugs like they were going out of style (I had one I picked up at Goodwill!) Well, for Xmas this year she relenquished a small fortune in mugs to me and now I have a huge supply of mugs and nowhere to display them (yet!) Carl is slowly but surely working on the bar and I've been doing nothing but trying to figure out what to do with all the crap in the dining room! I'll let you know how it goes!

B

Oh, and I just noticed my "Grand Member" notice on the left says "2 years" - try two hours! LOL I just did that today! Didn't want you to think I was falsley advertising myself here!

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:41 ]

Hi everybody! I am a new member. I found this forum via critiki & tiki magazine. We are major Tiki enthusiasts and this forum looks like the place to be :) hugs out~ tink xoxo

Aloha kâkou!

My name is Zach and I'm researching tiki. I've got the official (and expensive) tiki book recommended enroute and can’t wait to get started.

I’ve been fascinated with tiki from my first exposure when I was young at the Disney World Tiki room. I it is a shame how they have butchered it with Gilbert Gotfried. (At least the Disneyland one is intact.)

My reasons for joining are a bit selfish as I don’t have much to share. I'm starting a basement redesign and building project in which I hope to incorporate a number of the ideas located here into the design and decoration.

Perhaps someday I’ll be recognized as a “Grand Polynesian Place of Tiki” or at least I ‘ll know what it means.

[ Edited by: millerz1897 2008-01-13 06:55 ]

Hey all!

Like most people I've been lurking around, checking out this forum for awhile and finally found the time to join up.

Like I said in my earlier post, I was raised with Tiki. Spending summer vacations down in Daytona Beach at the Aku Tiki Inn. I can remember walking up and down South Atlantic Shores going to different gift shops, including the Hawaiian Inn.

Its great to find a place where people appreciate the past and want to keep it alive!

XM

Aloha from Stockholm, Sweden.
As several before me I have been reading posts here a few years now. I got int Tiki hanging on Tiki Room Stockholm. I got interested into mixing. Drinks and music that is. My favorite drink at this piont is Blackbeards Ghost and faworite music theme from "Day earth stood still".

Been on here so much that I finally decided to join.

For awhile I have been painting tikis on scrap pieces of plywood and nailing them up on light poles. Surprisingly, many of them are still up months later.

Lately, I have been carving tikis out of cement.

The one on the right is the first one I did. The one on the left is the newest one. I use portland cement poured into a box I made, then grind the faces. They stand a bit over three feet tall and have a piece of rebar sticking out of the bottom so they can stand up on their own or can be cemented into the ground permanently. Was thinking of putting a few in parks around town but my friends keep wanting them, so haven't been able to yet.

Hi all, I've been lurking around the forums for about a year or so, but didn't join until this month. I've always been a big rockabilly fan...as some of you can attest rockabilly is like a gateway drug to tiki! I really started getting into it after attending last year's Tiki Oasis...since then I've been buying books and Tiki mugs like a madman. Thanks to everyone who posts regularly here, I've learned a lot!

Blindy: Tiki activism/street art....very cool ! The world needs more Tiki ! :) You are the Banksy of Tiki !

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-21 13:01 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies