Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:11 ]

Aloha PurpleJade on behalf of Polynesian Pop and myself!

(Purple Jade, all through my mind...)

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:10 ]

Welcome Purple Jade, "don't know if it's day or night".

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:10 ]

I have visited ocassionally but never introduced myself properly... so hello to you all! This is a fun and informative forum. Love it!

• an Australian tiki aficionado

![](http://www.fwakanimation.com.au/IMAGES- web/web tiki/waltsurf.jpg)

Welcome Hula Hattie. Little shrimp on the barbie? I like the artwork.

Hula Hattie,
On behalf of Tiki Bong and myself, welcome to Tiki Central! Glad to have you on board!

Could there be a better place for Suzy Wong?
I think not.

Tres Kewl......

Love it!

Hey Suzy Wong! Did ya ever get out to the Bali Hai on Pontchartrain, or the Hukilau in Metairie when you were a kid? Finding an affordable Bali Hai mug (which is a Tiki Bob style copy) is one of my holy grails. Love your city! (Passed up two overpriced Hukilau ones when I was in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. There's still hope to find 'em cheap!) Welcome aboard Tiki Central!

Welcome Suzy Wong.

Suzywong, on behalf of Tiki Bong and myself - welcome aboard!

How's your world Suzy Wong?

Suzie Thanks You all!

It is most enjoyable to take a break from trying in vain to beautify
Wan Chai.....

(Formikahini, no, don't remember the Huki, but I do have 4 tiki mugs from there. My neighbor gave them to me. She had an elderly friend that was throwing them in the GARBAGE, and she said she'd take them, but alas, the faces scared her. The Bali Ha'i was spectacular, and a true homage to all things pure and tiki. I do have the blue Bali Ha'i tiki bowl though)

My world is, girl in a whirl at the moment....

Toodles for now.....

T

Hey all, Hello everyone! Cool site!

I just found this site, and love anything to do with Tiki's, tropical gardening, and South Pacific decor and lifestyle.

I own a home in Laguna Niguel, California (near the coast) with my wife (TikiGirl), and have been decorating it with eclectic decor for over five years now.
We have a faux black lava rock swimming pool with water-falls (that I did some of the work on myself) with huge planters contain lots of tropical plants, and an original Oceanic Arts 5' tiki (that I did the finish on myself). The Tiki guards over my property and wards off any evil spirits :) Also next to the pool is a thatched covered umbrella that I fashioned out of dried palm thatch from my 50" California fan palm (took me three weekends to build from scratch).

We have traveled to Hawaii (Maui and Kauai), and Tahiti (Moorea and Bora Bora) over the last five years.

So far we have entertained two Laua's at our home. But can't seem to find any true avid tropical tiki lovers (like ourselves) that appreciate good friends and laughter, some tropical drinks, a nice ocean breeze, and the sound of waterfalls while listening to the sounds some swinging Mambo tunes!

Love to hear from others!

K
Kim posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2003 4:32 PM

Hi everyone! I've been checking this site fairly often, and am now sufficiently emboldened to start posting.

I live in Portland, OR, at the moment, where it is often too wet & rainy for Lauas, with my boyfriend-who-will-be-my-husband-as-of-next-week. He is the real tiki-hound in the family-- I am more the bringer of tiki gifts and cheerleader of tiki-hunting.

We were hoping to make it to Vegas for Mondo Tiki or Tiki Oasis, but, alas, I think we'll have to wait 'till next year. We are going to San Francisco in a month or so, though, so maybe we'll see some tiki folks when we check out the SF scene!

[ Edited by: Kim on 2003-02-24 17:22 ]

Welcome TikiMan and Kim. TikiMan, you'll soon hear from a few folks who live right up PCH in Newport Beach. My parents are neighbors of yours on La Vue. Have fun.

T

On 2003-02-24 17:15, jungletrader wrote:
Welcome TikiMan and Kim. TikiMan, you'll soon hear from a few folks who live right up PCH in Newport Beach. My parents are neighbors of yours on La Vue. Have fun.

Sounds good jungletrader, looking forward to meeting some more tiki folk around here.

Cheers!

TikiMan

L
Luki posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2003 11:44 AM

Hi all,

I'm new here but TC looks like a fun bunch...reminds me of when the LEGO community first got online in decent numbers back in '95 / '96...but I digress.

Anyway, I'm looking for a few specific things and in general just looking and reading and enjoying.

First, is there a resource somewhere (a directory?) of people who are 'known' for being good tiki carvers?

Second, is there a similar listing somewhere of tiki bars that can be purchased? I've seen the same three or four pop up in quite a few places but am looking for something different / bigger / more elaborate (for an upcoming venture).

I'm amazed at how MUCH tiki stuff goes up for sale on eBay...my SpyScanner account has found over 2000 items in the last 10 days...and that's excluding all of the Tiki Barber stuff that's on there (I have those filtered out).

Anyway, I've purchased a couple of Rain's painting recently (little guys...missed some bigger ones that I had bid on in the past week, darnit) and the little diorama that Tikifish had up there (a gift to a buddy of mine) and then found TC this morning and was amused to see those items referred to in the boards.

So hello from me to you and thanks in general for the existence of TC!

A6

A6louie, welcome to Tiki Central. You've found the right place! Nice to have you on board.

suzywong,
Welcome to TC, how's the tiki scene in New Orleans? I almost took a job there four years ago, but I was dealing with a lot of family shit here in San Diego, so I could't really blast outta here at the time. But things have improved since then and the jobs down there are still beckoning. I know a lot more people from New Orleans now and everything they tell me sounds good.
Aloha,
Shipwreckjoey

S

I'm Kali, username Spookilau, and you can find me at http://www.strangegirl.org and http://www.spookilau.com . :)

Welcome to TC Spookilau.

Hi Spookilau,

I cruised many of your sites and was way impressed... You will find many kindred 'spirits' here on T.C. including other disneyland (addicts) fans...

welcome!

Aloha Spookilau, welcome to Tiki Central! :)

Hello, I'm new here. Introduced by Melintur and TikiMama, I will be attending the Tiki Crawl in SF this weekend. Yes, I was affected at an early age as well by DisneyLand, as well as several trips to Hawaii.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

S

thanks, guys! glad to be here!

C

I've slipped and gone from lurker to poster already so I better introduce myself. This forum is great!

I live in Phoenix and don't get past city limits often enough so the internet is my connection to the art, culture and cool new stuff you just don't see here.

I got here because at first I was just looking for some tiki mugs, then I found Munktiki on eBay and if that wasn't bad enough I clicked on their link to Shag. Goodbye disposable income. I'm not a true tikiphile yet but it fits with my 40's house, heywood wakefield and day of the dead addictions. Currently, I'm trying to learn to make tiki drinks for a party I'm promising to have!

E

Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome, tikimonkey (monkeys are always good!) and Cultjam. I'm pretty new myself, but as I work from home I grabbed the privilege of being the first to say this!

aloha,
emspace

Cultjam, Aloha and Welcome to Tiki Central. I too, have learned to kiss my disposable income 'goodbye' ( and then some)...glad to have you on board.

K

I'm new here too. I'm pretty sure I caught the tiki virus (like many others) from the visits to Disneyland and the relatives in Hawaii as a little squirt. The virus is chronic now, and I'm glad to know that so many others suffer the same affliction.

As a kid I had a placemat with my Hawaiian name on it, "KAHAKA," hence the reason why I chose it as my username. Apparently it means "CHAD." My younger brother still insists that the middle syllable of my Hawaiian name is silent, and that the name is pronounced "KA-KA." I still tell him "NO... that's the word for something else."

I'm now a 2nd grade teacher (believe it or not) so I don't exactly have the $ to go tiki-bananas, but I've done what I can with my house thus far. Like I've read in some of the posts "it's a work in progress." I made a bar (yes, teachers need an occasional Mai Tai or 5), some hanging lamps, and some other stuff for the place that I won't bore you with. I'm happy, but never fully satisfied. I figure "the itch" is part of the symptoms.

Thanks to all that have helped with my posts so far. I appreciate it.

Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2003-03-10 20:37 ]

Good evening. We have a complimentary mystery drink presentation for all new members....would you like?

K

What is it that you are serving?

C

Is it BYO...mug?

Aloha! I'm a Brit, living in NYC, and friend of manic cat. I'm new to Tiki, so be gentle.

[ Edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:12 ]

MC

It's true--Briit is da Bomb! I think that the next NYC tiki crawl will have to include a stop at Brit in the Hut's homebar! (It is conviently located in Zombie's Hut vicinity.)

M

Hi, I'm Madtiki from Orlando. Thank-you for having me aboard. I just went to Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale this past weekend! It was amazing! I'm looking forward to that get together there in June.

[ Edited by: madtiki on 2003-03-11 18:52 ]

MadTiki,

You don't have an evil TikiFish-hating twin brother also name MadTiki do you?

Aloha!

My name is Thorsten Hasenkamm and I'm an artist from Germany. I'm working as an illustrator/painter and I just love everything TIKI. Here are some TIKI/Vintage-related pieces that I recently did (here's the thread):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2959&forum=1&1

Aloha Thorsten and Welcome to Tiki Central. Nice artwork you've got there!

On 2003-03-11 15:23, manic cat wrote:
It's true--Briit is da Bomb! I think that the next NYC tiki crawl will have to include a stop at Brit in the Hut's homebar! (It is conviently located in Zombie's Hut vicinity.)

Absolutely - all are welcome. I better get decorating it quickly!

Get ready, Brit!

Uncle Arty's coming to town in May!

Welcome! And welcome to the rest of you!

G

My Name is Matthew McSheehy, from Seattle. I am friends with Mig and a recent Tiki Bar Crawl participant (SF).
So when is the next Tiki Bar Crawl going to be in Seattle????

Gramps
http://mcsheehy.com

Hey Gramps, come on you're not that old. I remember you at the Crawl. Good times. Welcome!!

E

Gramps baby, if there's a Tiki Bar Crawl in Seattle, count me in! And hopefully I'll drag fartsatune (we're both from Vancouver) along too.

Are there Tiki bars in Seattle?...

aloha,
emspace.

G

There are three that I am aware of. A good crawl could start out at the Lava Lounge early (giving people who want dinner before hand a chance to eat at Mama's Kitchen; another great eclectic spot in Seattle) then could crawl to Tiki Bob's Cantina. There are other places I have heard of, but don't know how they would work out; Luau Polynesian Lounge (I haven't been there) and Ohana has a very small Tiki lounge.

G

Thanks man, but the nickname has been there since I was a sophomore in high school. I went to a dance dressed up like a dirty old man. The girls I met that night have called me Gramps ever since. I met Mig through a twist of various friends originating from those girls. So Gramps follows me where ever I go. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies