Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

T

Here is another one I did that still is up. The funny part is that it is in such a prime location, I knew that it was going to be taken down right away. That was over a year and a half ago.

T

Aloha All,
Growing up in SoCal in the 60's & 70's I remember the Tiki Vibe in alot of places (I wish they were still around) but, hey there are alot new cool places to go. I never really collected much Tiki stuff, just shirts. Now my wife & I both are into collecting, we have a small mug collection & I have purchased a few art pieces. Our kids are grown so we have an extra room, patio, & backyard to totally Tikify. I hope to post picture of our progress as soon as I get started.

Hi every one,

I come here a lot so I figured I might as well join. I'm an avid Tiki fan and amateur carver. I collect mugs, art and any other poly pop I can get my hands on. I used to live in Atlanta where I spent most of my time at trader Vic's and attended the Tiki Torch nights. Now I'm in LA and attend the Tiki Ti and a few other Tiki haunts here like the Tonga Hut. I don't have much to say right now, so I'll just say Mahalo.

Hello All,

I have been a lurker for some time now and decided to join the group. Located in Long Beach, CA and I am in the process of building my home Tiki Bar. Thanks for all the great info you guys have provided and continue to provide.

Hello Everyone,
Just tryin to learn tiki lifestyle and would like to start designing and producing my own line of tiki mugs. Long time reader new poster.
BHTiki
Richmond VA

Welcome to Tiki Central!

TikiPops, I'm looking forward to seeing progression pictures of your backyard!

rocktiki, I hope to see your tiki carvings in the creating section

gonegoannas, this site is full of great inspiration for your home bar build! Good luck and don't forget to post shots.

BrokenHeartTiki, good luck with the mugs, I would love to make a few mugs one of these days too. I'll keep my eyes open for your designs in the creating section.

Q
QPQ posted on Thu, Jan 31, 2008 7:16 AM

Hi everyone - Ron from sunny Blair, Nebraska here...Well, 9 degrees and sunny anyway.

My wife & I have been lucky enough to make a few annual trips to Hawaii and I have become very interested in tiki (Seeing all the statues at The Place Of Refuge on the Big Island was awesome!)

I love to watch the guys carve at the market places, and a semi-related offhand comment about Indian/Eskimo art to my little brother caused him to bestow some soapstone and tools on me.

So...I'm not letting lack of knowledge and artistic ability stop me from having a go at carving. I may have to start with petroglyphs, but I'm gonna do it.

The shear volume of info here makes it hard to find things, but I'm going to scour the monster carving thread to hopefully get an idea for something easy to start with.

Mahalo on any tips for certain posts to look at.

Ron

[ Edited by: QPQ 2008-01-31 07:17 ]

J

Greetings,

I have been lurking for a while now and finally decided to jump in.

I'm in Oklahoma and about as far away from the beautiful ocean as I can get. Being a land locked Okie I have had a love affair with all things Tiki, Hawaiian, etc... since I was little.

I'm hoping to learn how to do some Tiki carving, and get some party tips as my wife is throwing me a HUGE Tiki Party in March for my 28th B-Day!

Hey Yall,
I'm Johnny and I really like seeing all the great
ideas from different artist and like minded people.
Great site ..!
Here are a couple of pics of my TiKi HuT .....

A 2X4 done with dremel......ok I was bored.

Hi All,

I've joined because I love Tiki & am looking for decor ideas for my pool for dogs! Of course the dogs don't care what the place looks like, but tiki will be fun for the people!

Lots of new members joining lately...welcome to TC. Have fun and share pictures of your projects. :)

T

Hello everyone...Was here years back as Divychic finally am able to come back aboard. I love this website!

J

Hi everyone, New to the forum and looking for information on tiki carving. I am located in VB and I see there are a few others on here from VB too. I built a modified tiki hut/bar in the backyard a few years ago and have decided to add some tiki poles to dress it up. The pic is me at my favorite place in the summer. Nothing like sunshine, cold drinks, and good friends to spend the day.

Joel

Aloha!
What a great site and resource for all things Tiki! Looking forward to exchanging ideas with the rest of you here!

VB?

Hey Everybody,

I'm Mike & grew up & still live in SoCal. Spent a lot of time in the tiki spots - eatin', drinkin', and listenin' to the music. There were lots to choose from then. I see the Bahooka is still with us. I spent a lot of time there. Gone are the Tahitian (Pasadena) - proposed to my wife there; and no, I didn't have to get drunk first. Also gone are Latitude 20° (best live entertainment), The Tikis (almost drove my car off the freeway the first time I saw that volcano go off), a huge place on D St. in Ontario (can't remember the name, maybe someone can help me out), and a place on Shelter Island in San Diego, I think was called the Bali Hai. Those were some of my favorite haunts. Now the kids are grown and I can go develop some new ones. I hope!

Mike

Aloha and welcome Mike. Maybe we'll see you at Hukilau in June or at Tiki Oasis in August in San Diego.

On 2008-02-10 10:40, joele8 wrote:

Welcome Joel! You'll find some great pictures of other member's tiki bars to give you plenty if ideas for yours. You're already ahead of me in construction, but this I've learned: To be a tiki bar all that's really required is rum, (lots of rum), and a tiki carving/mask/statue/drawing/picture. Oh, and white ceilings will get you into trouble. That's it! Have fun!

I've been lurking for about three months, but finally decided to become a member.

Greets All!

Wow, 162 pages of intros-- I am not sure who bothers reading this far--anyway. Just thought I'd say howdy from a long time tiki fan from South Texas.

Mustang Island Tiki

Howdy Mustang!

I am new to tiki cental. I like long walks on the beach, rum and bamboo.

Hi, I'm new to Tiki Central. I like Mexican Clown Wrestling. :)

T

On 2008-02-17 20:42, TikiTwang wrote:
Hi, I'm new to Tiki Central. I like Mexican Clown Wrestling. :)

Welcome to Tiki Central good to see another New Englander taking the Tiki plunge. I enjoy Mexican Clown Wrestling too!! As always sarcasm is welcome... (oops need to put an edit here) Sarcasm aimed at others, referencing their happy attitudes is always free!

Tikisgrl

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2008-02-17 21:26 ]

HA! Welcome to TC Twang. Yes, Mexican Clown Wrestling can be very entertaining.

Thank you both for the welcome. :) This website is like a dream come true. I'm seriously going to have to limit myself the amount of time I spend on here each day! :)

Howdy! I have been on here before, but changed name since I got the new domain name and all I figured I would stick with this screen name.

Anyway, I've been digging into tons of threads for the last couple of days and checking out all of the great work you folks are making and I'm gonna take some pictures of a guy I was last working on some time ago, but have not finished tomorrow to see if anyone has some advice. I do have some specific questions regarding tool use but I'll post it in the same thread with the pictures.

Some of you might remember this guy from the Hukilau last year...it has been THAT long since I carved. I wasted the only comfortable time of the year to carve in Florida so to punish myself (and my girlfriend) I'm going to sweat it out all summer.

Good to see you guys again!

Some people think being called a hack is a put down...I take it as a compliment.

[ Edited by: CarvenImage 2008-02-19 01:24 ]

Aloha, everyone.
My name is Ramona and my nickname on here is lildeuce32. I met up with some of the folks here from Massachusetts not too long ago. We went to a swinging restaurant called Kowloon in Saugus, MA. Amazing atmosphere. Photo ops everywhere. I even took home a carved coconut monkey drink holder/coin bank.

I would love to get together with more folks in the New England area.

Nice to meet everyone (who reads this).

~Ramona

On 2008-02-18 16:15, TikiTwang wrote:
Thank you both for the welcome. :) This website is like a dream come true. I'm seriously going to have to limit myself the amount of time I spend on here each day! :)

Good Luck!!!

( ina nice way :)

L
Luigi posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2008 9:17 PM

Hello, I'm Luigi! I'm friends with Ravenne and she's told me about this site a while ago but haven't had a chance to join yet. I look forward to sharing my tiki art in the Other Crafts folder in the near future. I'm still confused on how to navigate this site...so it'll be a while, but I can't wait!

PS. I am so lazy Ravenne is typing this for me.

See you all at the Tonga Hut! :) smiley face.

Welcome to TC WEEGEE!
i see the Tiki Fever has taken ahold!
:)

Excellent! You already have someone doing the work for you.

aloha everyone!
I was googling Tiki's and came across Tiki Central - AWESOME SITE! I've always been into Tiki stuff since I was young. My mother used to tell me all about how my great grandfather made a home out of driftwood in San Pedro, he started The Island Trade Store selling his findings as a professional beach comber and carving huge Tiki's out of feather stone.
By the way hi to Bamboo Ben my cousin - or something like that! It's been a while (Cala's son Ryan!)
Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to hearing from you all.

*thank the Tiki God's for spellcheck too!!!

T
thick posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2008 7:42 PM

Hello all! I actually made my first post in the locating tiki forum, but this one makes it official. Found this place searching for tiki images for a series of paintings I'm working on, I was shocked to find out not only was I not alone way up here in northern Michigan, but there was an actual tiki resurgence & I totally missed it! Any hoo if you ever find yourself in the north woods & hear exotica howling in the pines stop on in its probably me.

Hey everybody. Glad to finally post here a bit after wandering around the place for a few years. I think I've very slowly been working my way here. I've been collecting thrift store vinyl for a long time, always looking out for Hawaiian and exotica. I'm local to Atlanta, and Trader Vic's is a favorite spot. Other than Vic's, the only other time I've been to a real deal tropical drinks bar was a pilgrimage to Tiki Ti 2 years ago. (I shall return!) I've envied some of the Witco art I've seen around town, and once in a while pick up a mug at the thrift store. Even after getting into the Book of Tiki, I still just browsed here once in a while. Finally putting it all together and learning more and more from all the great posts here. Cheers!

Aloha to all you fab tiki fans! I've been collecting a variety of Tiki, tropical and Hawaiiana for a while and was recently turned on to your BB here by a fellow tikiphile. I guess it started for me when I was just a tiny girl listening to Mom and Dad's Martin Denny records in the early 60's and eating off Homeward House "Carribean" dinnerware. Between that and my grandmother's ultra hip Danish Modern furniture and barkcloth draperies my earliest fond memories are very mid-century modern, bird calls and drums, and the fabulous Tiki Room at Disneyland. Since I grew up in Orange County, CA, so grew a fondness for bitchen surf music and all the great nuevo-Polynesian architecture that was everywhere around here, from apartment buildings to restaurants and everything in between. So I'm in the process of re-inventing my home into a 40's inspired tropical surf shack. Too fun and way cool! Looking forward to getting to know you.
Kiki von Tiki

Ahoy Tikiphiles!

Not new to the forums and more of a lurker than anything else. Just wanted to say hi and give a big fat thanks for this awesome awesome forum of endless tiki related information!!

I started getting into Tiki around 5 years ago, along with my brother. Since then, we've built a 9 ft outside Tiki bar, hosted a couple luau parties (one for my 30th bday) and just recently, I bought around 30 vintage Hawaiian LP's and an old Audiotronic record player (the ones usually found in schools). So I think I'm starting to finally do some real collecting :)
Mugs are next on the list :wink:

I'm an artist who loves tiki related art and plan on doing a few pieces for fun. I'll update the craft thread when I make anything.

Well, that's it I think...back to more lurking :D

Hi there,
Name’s Steve – Been checking this site for a while and really dig the stuff I've seen here. Fellow carver Marcus (Tiki-Beat) put me onto it about a year ago.
I knew nothing about carving, but decided to give it a try. Bought some el-cheapo chisels and got into it. This is very very addictive. I attach a couple of pics of some small pieces I’ve attempted.
Always learning and TC is a great place to get ideas. I see some amazing pieces on this site – certainly a lot of talented people here.
Hope to carve bigger and better, yet lately i'm getting smaller and smaller.
See you round.

sweeet pendants!

T
Teve posted on Fri, Mar 7, 2008 5:14 PM

Aloha~ I am new to the site, and am REALLY impressed with all the talented artists.

I spent some time dancing in the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show @ The Polynesian Resort in Walt Disney World Florida. I currently dance in California, and the show I'm involved in has a very TIKI feel. It is a TON of fun, especially because my experience has mainly been in traditional Polynesian culture.

Anyhow... Aloha!

RH

Hello, I am a part-time Tiki artist. I work on black velvet with oils. This medium is a natural for me since my most popular work in the past was with colored pencils on black paper. I like using a classical art technique and style with this lowbrow form of art. I've been a Tiki fanatic since I discovered Sven Kirsten's Book of Tiki in spring of 2002. I never thought seriously of doing Tiki art until my wife suggested it while we were lounging in our Tiki-decorated gazebo listening to Don Tiki and Combustable Edison in the summer of 2007. Her idea was brilliant, and I started immediately. My first painting was finished just a few weeks later. I've dreamed of being an artist my whole life, and have now finally found a genre I deeply care for.

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-03-07 18:41 ]

[ Edited by: Robb Hamel 2008-03-08 18:41 ]

aloha bruddahs and Wahines..its been a long time since i been posting anything here. in fact so long i totally forgot all my login info and had to create a new one..to my old pals on here a big wassup form yer South Florida Kreepy Fam..to all the people who i never met on here that got on here since i was last on a Big Cheers to you too...take it easy..Kreepy jaksin

W
wedweb posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 1:48 PM

Hi,

I am Bo. I have been collecting records I have been finding from Salvation Army and Goodwill. Some of them have been Hawaiian themed. Mainly Arthur Lyman. I have also been ripping the LP's to my computer and making mp3's or audio cd's. I can remove some clicks and pops, mainly the big ones, but some get to stay.

Bo

Aloha guy's

I live in the Uk and I and was so pleased to stumble upon this fine website, I have been having Luau's for the past couple of years now! My friends and family are getting used to it, they all have their Hawaiian shirts and leis at the ready, I just love the dressing up and the music and just the whole package of tikidom...

I am having a Luau for my sisters birthday in the summer, I have decided to try my hand at carving a Tiki head...I am pretty arty so I am a little confident but also quite nervous about the whole thing...I am also planning to build a tiki bar, I have already purchased some bamboo and some matting for the roof. will post pix when have started and finished...

Anyway guy's I cannot chat too long as I am trying to get some info off this forum to improve my Luau's and lets face it there is so much info on here...its great... :D

I've been a Closet Tiki forever and this is my "coming out" announcement. As a young boy, we had lots of date palms and I used to carve tiki masks from the palm fronds (still do occasionally). In high school, I worked in a tiki bar/restaurant and grew to love the decor. When I took a trip to Oahu in 2003, I really got the bug - I came home and decided to try my hand at carving, so I carved a pair of 3 foot tikis out of Indian Laurel wood. I never really tried anything like it before but I figured you just carve away anything that doesn't look like a tiki. I doubt that they'll win any prizes, but I had a good time with them. I even tried my hand at the fire staff for a Luau I did last year, what a rush!
Seems that all of my tiki related Google searches always lead me to this forum, I decided I might as well join in the fun.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2008-03-30 19:42 ]

Hey everyone. I joined this group a few weeks ago, but hadn't put in a formal introduction on this thread yet. So...
I hail from Edmonton, AB, Canada where Tiki culture was late in coming and has long since disappeared from the urban landscape. I love all things modern and kitsch from the early to mid 20th century and stumbled onto Tiki pop culture while planning a Tiki party. I was familiar with the imagery but not the history. Now I've joined this group to keep learning and talking about everything Tiki.
Mahalo (that means 'thanks', right?)
Brandomoai

Rock on Newbies!!

Search and Destroy!!

Tiki Tiki!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies