Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

S

Tiki room, tiki bars, tiki music are so good. I like tiki central very much.

smac

Addiction Recovery Hawaii

Welcome to all the new TC friends...and a big wave across the ocean to Singapore. :)

hi my name is tera. I have been collecting tiki now for over a year and I admit I have been lurking for quite some time. I know I will have a great time in here.

Hi everyone. My name is Lisa and I'm a new member. I live in southwest Florida about halfway between Sarasota and Fort Myers. I joined mainly to learn about classic tiki style and to get ideas for creating a home tiki bar/lounge. I have seen some amazing projects and outstanding craftsmanship on this website, and I know I will gets lots of inspiration and tips here. Hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll have some before, during, and after photos to post as well.

Aloha e Kakou,
It's looks like I have several of you as Myspace friends:). Thank you for the opportunity to be a member of this forum.
Malama pono,
Adornments by Milani

http://www.adornmentsbymilani.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/adornmentsbymilani
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28555535@N05
http://www.adornmentsbymilani.com

[ Edited by: Adornments by Milani 2008-07-17 01:02 ]

Aloha - proud to be a Tiki Central member! Any Florida Panhandle Tiki's? My first job was bussing tables at the Kona Kai on Long Beach Resort, PC Beach. Wonder what happened to those tiki's? Also am the world's biggest Goofy Golf fan. Bring on anything cheesy tourist-style from the '60's!

On 2008-07-17 00:59, Adornments by Milani wrote:

Aloha e Kakou,
It's looks like I have several of you as Myspace friends:). Thank you for the opportunity to be a member of this forum.
Malama pono,
Adornments by Milani

http://www.adornmentsbymilani.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/adornmentsbymilani
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28555535@N05
http://www.adornmentsbymilani.com

[ Edited by: Adornments by Milani 2008-07-17 01:02 ]

Aloha Milani, nice la'i lei. Good dog :)

Hi. I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to jump into the waters here. I've spent many hours looking through the posts and have been truly amazed by how talented a group this is. I always learn something new here. One day soon we hope to finish our backyard and I've always wanted to incorporate a tropical feel. Some of your backyards are literally a paradise. You are my inspiration.

I'm from the cold Midwest, live in California now, have been to Hawaii, got married on a beach there, and fell in love with the whole atmosphere there. I don't have much real tiki experience or knowledge. Still a newbie. I vaguely remember being in Chicago in the 70s and having dinner at a tiki restaurant (maybe along Lake Shore Drive or Michigan Avenue?). I remember it being kind of dark, there was a "river" running through it and you had to cross over small bridges to get to the dining area. Tropical drinks. Fire. Island music. Anyone know what restaurant this might have been?

Well just wanted to say hi and see you around the boards.

B

Hi Poly and Welcome to TC, come in and Stay awhile!

V

Hello everyone,
New here and new to Tiki collecting. I've been a fan of Tiki for as long as I can remember but only within the last year or so have I actually started collecting.
I spend a bit of time on the lottaliving.com website as I am also a big MCM fan.
My wife and I recently (6 months ago) bought a McMansion here in Anthem, AZ and I've
been given the upstairs covered balcony to build my TIKI BAR. Photos to come on the build. I look forward to reading all your experiences and knowledge of everything Tiki.....

Hi...longtime lurker, as they say, always harboring a hankering for tiki treasures.
Food blogger at EatingLA.com

Lover of L.A. history, restaurants and architecture, indoctrinated at the Luau in Beverly Hills at an early age.

Hope to meet some of you one day.

T

Hey All! I've been reading posts on this site for a little over a year now. I don't usually post on sites since I'm inconsistent on checking them, but I noticed I am here just about every night so I thought I'd start. I'm from Edmond, OK. I call it the inland island. Thanks for having me!

J

Hi all,

I am Jeanfi and I am coming from Belgium.
I collect tiki mugs since more than one year.
Have big interest in popular culture, music, tattoos, reading...

Hope to find here more informations about tikis, tiki culture.
Maybe somes peoples from Europa...

Please excuse my english, it is not my native language.

Jeanfi you sound like an excellent ambassador of tiki, welcome!

JT

Hello everyone, I'm new here to TC. I live in San Diego, CA. I've always dug Tiki, but finally started to carve and create tiki. I am fully addicted now. Mugs are starting to accumulate, along with the tiki theme in my backyard. My old neighbor Bob (Buzzard) taught me some tricks of the trade on carving and took me to two chops. There I meet some of you, and learned some more. I will post my progress soon.Thanks for having me aboard!!
-John A. Butterfield, aka, Johnny Bass, jab tiki.

Hello Folks! I have been reading posts here for sometime and I would like to thank everyone for such generous provisions of information, but also the good feeling among so many of the people here. My name is Robert and if you can guess from my moniker, I love The Beachcomber's (IMHO) masterpiece. I look forward to many more hours of tantalizing and interesting discussion! Sincerely, Robert

Aloha All!!! I have just joined, even though I have been a tiki-file for some time!!! I grew up in Ohio and have many, many many fond memories of the Kahiki!!!! Just ask my older sister, which some of you will know as Sabina ... or Exotic Sabina .... Can't wait to make it to my first Tiki event at that Hot Rod Hula Hop in two weeks!!!

Hope to see you all there!!!

Guess which one I am?

Proudly Posted By ...Buckeye Bern Tiki!!!
ALOHA!!!

[ Edited by: Buckeye Bern Tiki 2008-07-28 19:05 ]

S

Gee Bernie, those whiskers of yours are really outta control! (kidding, just kidding.)

Yup, beware TikiCentral, my little bro has found his way here!

Can't wait to see you at the HRHH kiddo!

Hey Everybody! Dave Bird here from Utah! I am an guest artist with Disney and love the Tiki way.....even in Utah. Just wish we had a palm tree or 2 here. Oh well.

As a new guy here I wanted to get this introduction out of the way as quickly as possible.

I am a professional Chef and have been cooking for around 20 years. I've done all kinds of things, including fully authentic Luaus (with homemade fermented Poi)and tiki themed events for over 1,000 people. I cook all types of food and am more than willing to give pointers on food preparation or recipes.

I am currently building a tiki bar in the basement of our house. I will post before pictures very soon.

My tiki interests are some mugs (not collecting for collection's sake), Black velvet paintings (both buying and making), and any other DIY type projects that come up.

About the only thing that I do that's very different from what else is going on around this board is that I am somewhat known for my tiki ice carvings. I do tiki poles and relief carvings out of ice for special events. Occasionally I do fruit and vegetable carvings of the same nature, notably an Easter Island scene on a watermelon.

I hope this gives everyone a little glimpse into what's going on from my end.

Thank You

Chef, welcome! I love ice and food sculpture! Please post some pics. Here is a classic, by Babalu:

Tiki Hotdog? Hmmmmm....

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2008 8:53 AM

Aloha all - Greg Reyes here to introduce myself. I have tiki mana in my blood you could say and I'd love to share my tiki experiences with you here.

I was born in 1963 at Hoag Memorial Hospital in Newport Beach, CA and was raised in Huntington Beach in a $11,000 1962 tract home on Mauna Lane. Tiki was everywhere in my neighborhood backyards as I grew up in the 60s.

My father, Tanner, was born on a pineapple field in Hawaii in 1928. He learned to swim/surfboard by none other than Duke Kahanamoku in the 30's. Sadly he passed a few years ago.

My mother, Karen, was born in Oil City, PA and moved to So.Cal in '59. I attribute my love of rock and roll to the 45rpm record collection she had. Today she resides in the cold environ of Spokane Washington.

My parents, as a kid, were exactly like Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, a redhead wife with an exotic husband.

My parents loved the Polynesian-pop all around us. Orange County during the 60s was full of it. I attended pre-school in Costa Mesa and vividly remember numerous Polynesian apartment complexes with torches and tikis. I loved it then and I was only four!

I learned to bowl at Kona Lanes, another tiki palace gone to heaven.

I have searched thru my meager personal collection of family photos and did find two cool pics of me as a kid within So.Cal tikidom.

The first black and white souvenir photo was taken in 1967 at the famous Kono Hawaii restaurant on Harbor Boulevard in Santa Ana,CA. Kono Hawaii is no longer standing of course. Again I'm only four but my expression says it all!

The color snapshot was taken in the backyard of the Hedley family in July 1969. Ever present tiki in the background.

In the 1980s I was a urban archaeologist. I would drive all over Orange County looking for googie style anything to take pictures. Tiki was rare then, and if I had only known about some of the classic tiki locations...

Please follow me on Facebook (Greg Reyes TikiG) for updates and images of my latest artwork.

Mahalo - TikiG

TikiG

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-08-05 08:57 ]

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-08-05 09:04 ]

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-08-05 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-08-05 09:12 ]

[ Edited by: TikiG 2014-08-01 15:05 ]

S

wow, just found this place today & I'm in loveee! I've always been enamored with tropical/tiki culture. You guys & gals have great stuff! This place may not be good for my wallet.

Hello, I am new here. I've recently found this site and will be attending the Tiki Oasis for the 1st time this year. I'm a lover of history, architecture, vintage fashion and music. I can't wait to dive in!

Hey all! New to the site and very excited to meet like minded people. I can't wait until my den looks like some of the ones on this site!!!

See you at Kona!~

D
drtiki posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 3:24 PM

Hello everyone. I have been a long time lurker of the forums and finally decided that it was time to register and introduce myself and stop being a troll.

Not much to say really except I love Tiki's and the culture, drinks, music, drinks, life style, did I mention drinks?

I was on the site a few days ago looking at the guys creating their own Tiki's and came up with the idea that I should create my own.... I mean how hard can it be right? :) I have some chisels and a hammer or two.... just need to find some wood laying on the side of the road right? Hey, it's a project that won't cost me anything. ... I know famous last words and my girlfriend was just shaking her head as I announced another project for me not to finish.

In any case, I'll give it a shot. You can read about it on my blog @ http://www.drtiki.com/blog

• Dr. Tiki

Oh... no relation to the Tikibartv.com people but I do enjoy the videos.

R

I am new to this forum and did an intro in "Tiki Central Ohana." Not sure exactly where to post introductions, saw this thread, and decided to link my previous introduction on here, just in case. BTW, love the site and looking forward to checking this site out in more detail...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29395&forum=15&5

J

Following my presentation a picture of my Tiki mugs collection here in Belgium.
I do not know if it is the right place for it on the forum.
Not on a nice rack like the one you have in USA. But I will change it

T

Aloha - Pat here to introduce myself. I'm a compulsive collector of many things. Though some of my collecting has nothing to do with Tiki, I enjoy them all. The Tiki collecting over the years has been great and hopefully I can share my finds and tiki obsessions with all of you. Buy let me tell you a little bit about myself.

My favorite place when I was growing up was were we lived in Cornwall-on-the-Hudson. My dad raised the four of us in our house which was right over the railroad tracks along the Hudson river. We didn't have all the things other kids had, but it was quite an adventure land. My nick name back then was Pat the River Rat. Everyday was a day of either exploring the shore line to see what washed up that day or walking in the woods finding all sorts of things. Or actually going to the town dump right down the road to see what we could find. After all my dad was the care taker of the town dump. Yup, that's right I was a local dump picker. And still a picker of things now.

Maybe that's where my collecting started. I remember growing up hating all the things that my dad would bring home each day. Our house was really like a land mine when you entered the back door. All of his finds were right there on the kitchen floor and in every nook and cranny. I laugh now, because all of those things that I use to call junk, I'm collecting now. Well not all, some of his finds were actually junk, but he would fix everything he found and sell it.

One of the other things that we use to do as kids was hauling in the fishing nets with a man named Pete Thompson who literally live in a shack between the tracks and the shore line. We all would take turns on who was staying on the shore line and who was getting to ride in the row bow to drop the net. We would go out, drop the net and then wait a few hours and with two people on each end pulling close to the ground the bottom of the net and the other one pulling in the top of the net. This would go on until the net was in and all the catch was just sitting there flapping away. Then we would get the buckets and throw all the fish in them. There were carp, crappies, bass, chad, eels, and every other kind of fish. Pete actually sold most of the catch to the locals. He was famous to us for his fish eyed spaghetti. Yeah believe it or not people actually ate the fish out of the river even me. Yuck.

There was a small boat club just across the tracks from our house called Staples Boat Club. And as the little poor kids, we would row the rich folks out to their boats for a quarter or fifty cents. They would go out for the day traveling up and down the river and we would be there waiting for them by the time they came back in. We would watch for them, row out to there buoys and pick them up and bring them back to the dock.

We had our own little beach down the road called Wards beach. What fun we would have there. We would get up in the morning and pack our breakfast & lunch. This would be a few eggs a couple of slices of bread and some hot dogs for lunch. We would have a setup hidden in the woods which consisted of a stove rack that we used for cooking on. We would put the rocks in a circle, fill up the fire wood, place the rack on it. Then we would take our little frying pan, cook ours eggs, eat the bread and that was it. Then we would swim all day or fish right through the tides both high and low. And in between we would stop for lunch, cook our hot dogs and eat again. Then we would get home just in time before my dad would arrive so he wouldn't yell at us. When we got older we had a lot of parties on that beach. Beer parties every weekend. Maybe that's why I hate it so much now. LOL Yeah now, I'm just a fruity tootie drinker. Rum, rum and more rum.

So I guess when I think of the Hukilau, I can actually relate to the real meaning of it. And as a collector or yard sale junkie, my husband Dave and I go out just about every weekend to see what scavenged luxuries we can find. And we've made some great finds indeed. A complete dining room set by Stickily, a complete kitchen set taking out of an old barn with pigeon shit all over it. China, pottery, Bakelite, Anri, paintings, etc.

And when I find things to add to each of my collections, I think of my dad and what a great dad he was. He raised us, put a roof over our heads and worked his butt off. And at the same time gave me some of his traits and I thank him for that.

I'm also an animal lovers, currently with one dog and three cats. Tux the pit bull, and Bart the orange tabby, thumbelina the calico, and big bird the big hunter.

So, I think that's enough about me for awhile. And I want to just say, that I'm sorry that I didn't mingle with to many folks at this years Hukilau. I guess having had one person whom which I felt actually be littled me, because of using the word click instead of clique and then pointing it out to me actually hit me hard. It was a great time had, but I just felt like I was a little bit beneath some of you. I don't know why that bothered me so much, but I guess it did. I just couldn't strike up a conversation with people, and my husband is not a very social person. But that doesn't mean he's stuck up it just means he's also not the type to just walk up to someone and strike up a conversation.

So, for now that's it. I've been in and out of TC sense the day I signed up, reading all the posts and comments made by some. And this is actually my first post. And I know there are some RED PENNED folks out there, but be kind, not everyone has had the great up bringing that they might have had. So just because someone can't spell or put words in the correct context doesn't make them a bad person.
LOL

Wow, looking back at this, sounds like I'm some kind of nut case. But I'm really the happy go lucky kind. But I've been told that my mouth is always a few steps ahead of my brain. As with my typing. My thoughts are going a mile a minute and my words just get jambled.. LOL lIke that word, jambeled.. LOL

Well now I hope I'll being talking with some of you soon. Hell, I hope this won't be my first and last post.

And if you're actaully reading this I thank you in advance for taking the time to make it to the end. LOL

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-08-10 19:28 ]

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-08-11 01:25 ]

Aloha!! It's great to be on this board! How cool is this! I love the Tiki way and am a big fan of Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. I have an Enchanted Tiki Bathroom which I just finished this year and hope to post photos of it soon! It turned out very cool! I know some of the people on this board so I feel right at home already!

Aloha...signed on today though have ghosted the forum now and then! I think I may know some here from elsewhere. Exotica, surf, and Bachelor Pad items hold much interest to me as well as much space in our home. I sell records on ebay, teach Kenpo Karate and play guitar for the Trad surf band North of Malibu. Anyway, glad to be here for the ride...

Aloha to all of the newcomers.

Welcome ashore.

I just realized that when I first posted to this thread it was only up to page 69. And I even made a wise-crack at that fact.

My how this place has grown.

Hello, One and All!

Some of you guys will know who we are just from the name, but for those who don't, it's Pete and Amanda.

We've been into the Tiki Culture separately but really delved into it about two years ago when we met, feeding on one another's enthusiasm. This Tiki Oasis 8 was our first Oasis event, and we do look forward to being regular Oasis Faces. We were greeted and welcomed with general open arms, and we would like to say a genuine "Thank You" to everyone we met.

The highlight of the event for us was the Zombie Costume Contest. Not only were we stopped about every five to ten feet for a photo op, but we were awarded the "Best Couples Zombie Costumes" by the applauding audience. We are forever indebted to you, the people who make the events what they are.

C

I've lurked here for a few years--I signed up 3-4 years ago with another username, but have completely forgotten what it was--but, having been buoyed by TO8 I figured I should post an intro.

My original osmosis intro to Tiki came in the 60's/70's through my mom, who listened to Martin Denny & Arthur Lyman, and dragged us to eat at South Orange County eateries like the Outrigger and Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach and Don the Beachcomber in Corona del Mar (and I remember a few visits to the Islands at the Hanalei way back when as well). That and the Enchanted Tiki Room (and Thor Heyerdahl movies) and growing up in a harbor area as it was being built (Dana Point) gave me those first tastes I took for granted (I also remember when I was about 6 or 7 years old swimming in the backyard pool of Hobie Alter--inventor of foam/glass surfboards--which was a totally custom Polynesian motif swimming pool with palm trees, a bridge going over it, and I'm pretty sure some Tikis as well).

My first inkling of a budding revival came in the very late 80's/early 90's via Josh (aka Shag) and Steve of the Swamp Zombies (and later Tiki Tones), with whose bands my bands (the Pivot Foots & Del Noah and the Mt. Ararat Finks) used to play with in the LB/OC area--what with their immense tiki mug collections, huge manufactured tiki props and Shag's incredible art that, in a just world, would someday get the notice it deserved (fortunately, in this case at least, it turned out to be a just world). From them, and my friend Monte Vista, I learned about Tiki News and Otto, though I was somewhat intimidated by the knowledge and enthusiasm of these formidable folks so I got only partly immersed over the years (though exotica did inspire a couple Del Noah songs, "Re-Satch-a-Go-Go" and "The Enchanted Dragstrip"). These days I work as a web developer, do some writing about old films, and play with the above bands (occasionally) as well as more frequently (these days) with the Fleagles and the Henpeckers, and as my wife and I redo our house we are trying to incorporate more tiki into it.

On a more personal level, my wife Christine and I owe our getting together to the late, great Kelbo's on Pico in West LA, during its last years of existence. We had met a couple of times before, but it was one particular night in late December 1991 when I hitched a ride with her (from another event of some sort at a Long Beach coffeehouse) to see our mutual friends' psycho lounge band Lovingkindess play in the Coco-Bowl room at Kelbo's. Sparks flew, numbers were exchanged, and a 17 1/2 year-and-counting romance (and 15 year-and-counting marriage) began, partly thanks to the romantic setting of Kelbo's (and I think an assist from a Kelbo's skull & bones drink or two).

Brent

Hello all,

No grand introduction here unfortunately. I live in the furthest reaches of the north of England where no Tiki has ever dared venture. There is no Tiki culture anywhere near so i am alone- so totally alone. I have grown into Tiki culture very slowly over many years. My first tiki was a small resin charm I bought 10+ years ago. From there on I gained an interest; read The Book of Tiki, collected a few mugs, mixed a few cocktails, bought some music, a hawaiian shirt or two and generally lurked here for a little while.

The high spot of my cultural education was stumbling upon the Trader Vics/Polynesio hidden at the base of the Hotel Havana Libre (Havana Hilton) in Havana, Cuba. Like an ancient ruin you could still see what it would have been like in its prime.

Anyhow- I guess i'm gonna ask the usual dumb questions all newbies ask, commit several cultural and social "Faux Pas" and generally make an arse of myself; but hey- that's me.

T.

Hi all!
I'm Dan and I'm kinda new to this whole tiki exotica thing. I love cocktails and this is the main reason I registered to TC. the food and drink forum is outstanding!

thanks for having me :)

A

On 2008-08-19 13:19, congawa wrote:
I've lurked here for a few years--I signed up 3-4 years ago with another username, but have completely forgotten what it was--but, having been buoyed by TO8 I figured I should post an intro.
Brent

Hey Brent!
Well if it ain't old Cal Southern! Good to see you at Oasis, and here on TC.

-Randy

Hi Tiki Forum

Aloha!

Tiki_Bass_Man aka Adam Novicki here. I may have been lurking in the past, but after TO 8 I don't want to be mistaken for a zombie and be shot by Tinney's 12 gauge.

Looking forward to keeping in touch and to meet SoCal surf music enthusiasts.

Newly registered and saying hey. We've made it to Tiki Oasis 7 & 8 now and had a blast both years. Great bunch of people to hang with.

D
David posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2008 5:59 AM

Hi Tiki-Forum.

I've been a fan ok the whole Tiki thing for quite a while now and I'm glad that I found this great forum now. :)

Have a nice day.

S

Aloha all!!

Just found this site after being into the retro pop music for years...didn't know there was a whole lifestyle attached to this stuff..lol...
I just completed my small bar out in my garage but i was aiming more at a ww2, south pacific enlisted club look more than anything.Though alot of the tiki decor has my attention now..

J

Hi also all! I posted a thread, but I'm introducing myself here too because... well why not!

A brief tale of my tiki-awakening! I found the magic that is Martin Denny and Robert Drasnin during the long cold winter here in Vancouver last year quite by accident. It got me through the chill, but also inspired me, and now my apartment looks like this! (Pic attached.)

http://www.jimzip.com/images/blog/jimzip_room1.jpg
http://www.jimzip.com/images/blog/jimzip_room2.jpg
http://www.jimzip.com/images/blog/jimzip_room3.jpg

(Take a look at the site too [jimzip.com], I designed it myself! :) )

I've always loved tropical things, tiki, sun, sand, palms and music, but I never knew how extensively this passion could run until I got into the music and decided to find out what inspired it! In real life I work as a graphic designer at a multimedia company; in my head, I'm a surfer living on Maui in a tiki hut that's got an incredible bar, and which of course is always open. :wink:

I look forward to getting to know tiki central and its inhabitants! (That means you!!)

Mahalo!

Jimzip :D

[ Edited by: Jimzip 2008-08-21 23:27 ]

T

Hi there JimZip, I love the #2 photo because I noticed it looks like your were playing some vinyl on that cool player or yours. But why is your wide screen on the floor?

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-08-23 02:03 ]

Hi everyone. We just joined this forum after going to our first Tiki Oasis. Can't wait til next year.

Aloha all you tiki carvers and carving fans! I am a new member, and my nick name is Louie the Fish, a handle I got in Fiji in the aerly 70's cuz I fish obsessivley, have fish tattoos, and carve fish of every species. It was Louie Na Ika at first, but I translated it from the Fijian. I guess I began whittling as a kid, but really got into bone carving while getting my degree in Fine Arts at the U of Hawaii in 1970. I saw a Hawaiian bone fishhook, carved it and sold it the same day, and just kept carving. I try to carve exact replicas of famous hooks and lures, and well known artefacts from all over Polynesia, and I make my fish as accurate as possible. From 1973 I carved as a beach bum/spear fisher/and angler for 10 years in Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga, and I have been credited with being the seminal influence to what later became a huge bone carving cottage industry in those islands. I am the only guy to get permanent residence in New Zealand as a bone carver (with export potential!!), in 1983, and soon after gained citizenship there, where I still have a house in Turangi (trout fishing capitol of the universe) ! I was also a fly fishing guide there for 15 years. My wife of 28 years, Sasa Satele, is from Pago Pago, American Samoa, and we moved to Hawaii 4 years ago so she could get a degree in Global Environmental Science. I continue to carve original work here, which can be seen or ordered on my website at http://www.louiethefish.com. Two years ago I partnered with fishing buddy and jade carver in NZ John, who sent me to China, where I now also import my exclusive range of personnally designed hooks, turtles, whales tails, monk seals etc, all hand carved in black and green jade and other materials. I have a lively wholesale business now and I am trying to further popularize the Fishhook Pendant as jewelry in shops from Florida to California. This range will soon be on my website also.
I am not a regular tiki carver, but I have carved replicas of Hei Tikis, and a long time ago I carved hooks and Maori war clubs in whalebone, now an illegal material. I will try to post some old photos of 3 famous replica clubs I did, a Kotiate, a Wahaika, and a Patu Paraoa, and a carving of the Samoan legend of the Rat and Octopus, done in Cow bone. I hope you enjoy my work and I am always available to give info on tools and techniques. Tightlines, Louie the Fish!!

Hi, I just attended my first Tiki Oasis too and I'm hooked. We're already planning on going next year.

Looking forward to lurking and posting here and possibly attending local events here in Sacramento.

real name
Darilyn

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies