Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Hi, it's me after a long absense, does any one remember bula bula, I'm baaccckkkk!!!!

B
Bonj posted on Tue, Nov 18, 2008 3:55 PM

Hi all,

Long time lurker here. I came into tiki simultaneously through my all-grain homebrewing (currently carving a tiki handle for one of my beer taps) and through my appreciation for ukuleles, particularly the pineapple shaped ones. I love the tiki bars people have put together. I plan on putting one together in my limited back yard, but will have to make do with my 3 tap chest-freezerator for now.

R

Hi all, I'm from Colorado and kind of new to the whole "tiki" fenom, but I'm hooked. Glad to be here.

A

Aloha all!

Just new to this forum as of last night. I'm Drew from Portland, Oregon. Just started my tiki mug collection as of last month and have close to twenty mugs so far. Kalewikiki is a hawaiian version of another nickname of mine, Drewski. Tiki Kupcake and I have a mutual love of tiki bars and tiki culture. She's been on here for a while, and I've known about it since she joined. We are planning a tiki road trip to this years Tiki Oasis in San Diego with stops at all the major and minor tiki hot spots along the way from Portland, OR.

I'm loving what I've seen so far in the forum!

Mahalo!

I'm new, though not quite new. I fell in love with the Tiki renaissance about a year and a half ago or so with TikiBarTV. However, it wasn't until I found some other local enthusiasts, namely Kiki von Tiki and her meetup group, that the passion for all things Tiki really took hold. I feel really lucky to be down in southern California.

It's about time you got on here! Now let's go to Thatch! :drink:

On 2008-11-23 17:17, Kalewikiki wrote:
Aloha all!

Just new to this forum as of last night. I'm Drew from Portland, Oregon. Just started my tiki mug collection as of last month and have close to twenty mugs so far. Kalewikiki is a hawaiian version of another nickname of mine, Drewski. Tiki Kupcake and I have a mutual love of tiki bars and tiki culture. She's been on here for a while, and I've known about it since she joined. We are planning a tiki road trip to this years Tiki Oasis in San Diego with stops at all the major and minor tiki hot spots along the way from Portland, OR.

I'm loving what I've seen so far in the forum!

Mahalo!

Greetings,

I've lurked here a bit in the past and decided it was time to participate and give back where I can.

I'm interested in Tiki Drinks and making my own ingredients when possible. So far I've made Apricot Brandy, Orgeat, Falernum, Passion Fruit Syrup and Maraschino Cherries/Cherry Liqueur. My next project will be Pimento Dram.

KT

Aloha Tiki Peeps!

Finally joined a couple of weeks ago, but have been a fly on the wall
for a while now. I actually posted something recently but should have
introduced myself here first. Whoops! Apologies... Where are my manners?

I first got interested in Tiki on trips to Hawai'i. I found myself
taking picture after picture of everything tiki. I Moved to London for work after college for a couple of years and would frequent Trader Vic's there. I came to LA for work and saw some tiki art shows and was blown away. Got Sven's Book of Tiki ages ago and have been a tikiphile ever since.

I Wanted to join in on the art shows, but I helped start a side business for fun that totally took off and has consumed me and my fiance's life for the past 5 years (no complaints here, as we were able to quit our day jobs soon after we started). Anyway, I thought I would be able to paint on the side...yeah right! People always say starting a business from scratch is the hardest thing to do, and boy...were they right. Especially if you got no money! However, we were able to design some tropical Hawaiiana tiki themed stuff for our products that have been some of our best selling items, especially in Hawai'i, so that's been fun to do.

Anyway, finally on top of things business wise, as much as can be, so we have started to go to a few local tiki parties/events recently. Met some great people, artists, writers, musicians, etc... and have had a blast! Looking forward to more! And I have finally started my art outside of work, which I will be posting soon. Better late than never.

Making up for lost tiki time!

Mahalo!

http://www.fluffshop.com

Aloha, everyone. I'd like to introduce myself and say I'd like to invite you all over to my place...www.davidpaulseymour.com

Cheers, DPS

Hi guys,

Been running tiki partys for a while.
looking to kick it up a bit.
Thought this is the place to start.

shay

N

I'm new! Hi guys!

Aloha, kids. Just saying hello. I'm a brand newbie to this site and have been a tiki and exotica fan for years. I found this site through a meetup group that attended the San Diego tiki party in August this year. I wish I could have gone, but prior commitments kept me home in Loss Angeles. Maybe next year. It certainly sounded like some cool fun.

Aloha! been slow to get to this. sorry all.

My site name Don Brewski, was given to me by Tikiyaki when we played in a 70's cover band, Authorized Dealer. we later did shows as Grand Fake Railroad. hence the WHOO! when myself and Jim meet-up.

Me? my real name is Jeff Utterback. I was in the Tiki Tones and Huntington Cads with SHAG BITD. Been in lots of bands and around the Tiki thing since I was a young lad when my folks would hang at Java Lanes in Long Beach and the Grass Shack also in L.B.

Was heavy into collecting in the 90's with my ex, Pamita Neptuna.(our wedding is in Tiki News #1 I think btw) we liquidated most of our collection when we had kids and Pamita elected to stay home with the boys when they were young. Hey, we needed money!

Some of the stuff we sold I would LOVE to have back but you all know that line...

Got back into the scene when Tikiyaki drug me to KONA for two of their shows...ugh. (LOL!)

Just got to play at Spermy's party with my surf band the Boardwalkers and got to sit-in with my old band mates (early 90's) the Insect Surfers.

Glad to be here. hope to see you all at Tiki Oasis 09 with a cool surprise!

P.S. I also drive vintage race cars. http://www.pisanoracing.com/

Mele Kalikimaka!

[ Edited by: Don Brewski 2008-12-18 20:42 ]

Aloha Don, aka Jeff.

glad to see ya on here.
who are these tiki tones and Huntington Cads bands yer talking about?
Shag was in a band? really?
wow!! who knew?
:wink:

see ya round.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Glad to be here

Aloha Everybody,

I've been reading and occasionally posting here for about a year.
Seems to be a drinking club with a posting problem :)

I attended the Tiki Oasis pre-party at the Bali Hai the past 3 years
in a row. (King Kukulele introduced me as the "Mayor" in 2007 :)
Wow, the pre-party become a major party in 2008. I also
took the whole family to Tiki Caliente in Palm Springs in May 2008.
What a blast. I never miss Holden's parking lot
parties at Tiki Farm. His Mugoomba bar is amazing.
Gotta figure out how to build a bar like that here at home.

I'm a software manager in San Diego
by day, but i'm also starting a non-profit cleantech
business incubator, http://www.cleanventure.org, to help save the planet.

Todd aka MrGreenTiki
http://www.MrGreenTiki.com

Hello all. I have been lurking on TC for about a year. I am very much into MCM and after my daughter went to work for Disney in Orlando I began to become more interested in mine and my husband's Florida history. (My father was with GE at Cape Canaveral in the late 50's and early 60's during the early days of space exploration. My husband's great grandfather was Reynolds Cothron who oversaw the building of the railroad that ran from Florida through the Keys that was wiped out during a hurricane and replaced with the interstate). With this new found interest came a sudden urge to recreate those days - which included palm trees and I Dream of Jeanie decor. So, that is how I eventually stumbled into here. Now we have decided to turn a spare bedroom into a Tiki Bar so that we have our own island getaway. Since we are just getting started it will be awhile before I upload any pics - but I have gotten great ideas from what I have seen here.

Hello everyone.
Saludos from Spain.
Been long time lurker here.
It´s out the tiki closet time for me.

Excuse me for the mistakes to come.
I´m really clumsy with all this forum thing.

Nos vemos.

New to TikiCentral!
A regular visitor of The Alibi and Thatch in Portland, Oregon..
Lover of the surf guitar, Satan's Pilgrims, The Ghastly Ones, Nebulas..
Modest tiki mug collection..
Wondering if anyone has any info on the Thatch tiki mug to be released??

Hello all at TikiCentral!
PhantomTiki aka Jason

Hello!

Been admiring the work of tikicarvers and other artists on this site for a while, and got interested in trying to carve some stuff myself.

I hope to be able to post some photos in the near future.

PS. Anyone here livin further up north than me? Ill buy you a beer when i see ya :)

Cheers!

J

Hi I am wanting to call the tiki place in Sedalia to set up an event ....a social for the sorority I am in ....PLEASE contact me...E-mail [email protected] with a phone number!!!!

On 2009-01-21 09:03, JBallard wrote:
Hi I am wanting to call the tiki place in Sedalia to set up an event ....a social for the sorority I am in ....PLEASE contact me...E-mail [email protected] with a phone number!!!!

I tried this new thingy called "Google" and found the owner of the Tiki House is Rob Parkhurst. I cross-referenced that name against the town and local newspaper and kept finding the same guy several times. I can't guarantee this is the fellow, but you might want to try calling his office at 660-827-0900. If not, just look in your local White Pages.

For those wondering what she's talking about here's a cool thread describing the place.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27235&forum=2&51&PHPSESSID=b1650333cd0c8acbd4e02bbd5442abfa

• SV

Hello, I am here in land locked Colorado. Just started collecting Tiki and anything tropical. Love the site and look forward to many lost hours looking around the forum !

P
Pyro posted on Thu, Jan 22, 2009 5:17 PM

I'm not new, but since I haven't posted in a couple years (been on tour) I figured I should reintroduce myself. I'm based out of Orlando (but I travel ALOT for work). I have lots of tattoos (including a tiki chestpiece) and collect tiki mugs.

Hey fellow Tikiphiles,

I'm new to Tiki Central and just wanted to introduce myself. I have only been collecting Tiki for about a year (mostly mugs) and have a modest collection (recently put on ooga-mooga) which I am slowly expanding. I am so stoked I found tiki central and ooga-mooga and the network of other tiki fanatics and I hope to talk/post to many of you soon.

-Tikimommy

[ Edited by: Tikimommy 2009-01-31 19:30 ]

On 2008-10-03 06:20, TangaroaTiki wrote:*
I'm glad to have found a place online to hang with fellow tikiphiles. I don't personally know any and being from New Jersey - there's not a whole lotta tiki fun going on here either. I have a nice collection which my husband tolerates with amusement. Nice to meet you all & I'm happy to be here!

Hi, I see you posted this awhile ago, but I just joined TC today and read your post. I am also from New Jersey - so you're not alone! :) I grew up in North Jersey and now live in Central Jersey near the shore. Not a lot of Tiki-specific stuff going on around here but at least there is a thriving surf scene in these parts so I can sometimes find some cool tiki stuff in local surf shops. I have a modest tiki mug collection which my husband tolerates with confusion lol.
Glad to see another Jersey Girl here!

I am trying to identify this tiki bar. It's really cool, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. The bar rails look like teak as do some of the alternating half round that makes up the "bamabo." There is this maker's mark on it:

Gillette here. Interest in Tikis-Mid-Century Culture-Exotica music, googie & moderne streamline since the early 90's. I found a bunch of Martin Denny, Jackie Gleason, & Arthur Lyman albums while cleaning out the old record library at a radio station I worked at in the summer of 1993. Everything else got tossed except the Exotica-bachelor pad stuff. Glad to be here.

Gillette here. Interest in Tikis-Mid-Century Culture-Exotica music, googie & moderne streamline since the early 90's. I found a bunch of Martin Denny, Jackie Gleason, & Arthur Lyman albums while cleaning out the old record library at a radio station I worked at in the summer of 1993. Everything else got tossed except the Exotica-bachelor pad stuff. Glad to be here.

Hello from Los Angeles' San Gabriel Valley!

Glad I found TC. I dig all things Tiki -- but especially like reading about its history and listening to the exotica, tiki, and lounge music podcasts that get mentioned here on TC.

I'm also just starting up a (mucho) modest mug collection and hope to be able to occasionally add one from time to time?!

Best Regards.
BYh :tiki:

Welcome to the friendly confines, everybody!

Z

Greetings! Tiki artist Zero, into midcentury & modern tikiana, new to active tiki collecting, but very interested in learning swapping and expanding!
~Zero

Aloha everyone! I think I have just found my new home on the internets! I live in the frozen tundra of New England, but grew up in the South Bay area of So. Cal. My house is based on the style of the now defunct Kelbos. I am always lookingfor the "perfect" Mai Tai and friends to enjoy them with!

Mahalo!
Tim aka Monotikitia

M

Hello, Mark from Chicago checking in. The extent of my tiki collection consists mainly of tiki mugs and a few tikis from trips to Hawaii. Currently working on my home bar. My not always better half is only semi-tiki tolerant so have been given the no bamboo and has to look "normal" order.

Hey,

Not a lot of you from down yonder here in Florida from what I see so far.
My boss recomended your site, love it so far. My husband and I are currently building a patio bar, soooo, well I will post all the pics later I have been taking them progressively.

Gotta go paint and cut trim ttyl!!! Zuki

M
mick9 posted on Thu, Feb 19, 2009 8:39 PM

Hi pretty new here but have been lurking for a couple of years, I live near Vancouver BC.(the wet coast)
Im 42 and have developed an obsession with mid century easy listening music and design. Last summer I covered my back yard in lavarock and erected a large Rapa Nui . I am trying to wean myself onto rum drinks. Most of my friends are like.....O...K.....? I am a chemist during the day and a lounge lizard by night.I long for the days of mood music.
any way, This is a great forum and discovered it via link through Digitiki.com,thanks again Mark!!

Hello Everyone!
I've been poking around for a while and finally decided to
introduce myself.
I am so excited to have found this site!!!
I love all things tiki especially exotica music
(Yay Tikiyaki!!) and all kinds of tiki art.

Claudette

I'm a lifelong resident of sunny Rockledge Florida on the Indian River. We have been making various tiki additions to the house over the last year or so. My wife has also started making ceramic tiki mugs. We are looking forward to seeing everyone at Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale again this year. I am going to try to start collecting pics of tiki throughout the Space Coast.

Greetings-

My name is Pete. I grew up in Iowa and now live in Chicago.

Thus, as you might imagine (especially in the dour month of February) my interest in all things Tiki as both hobbypassion and form of escape from the winter death knell is well justified.

However, blaming it on winter would be a cheap shot. I would call this more of an imbalanced obsession than anything else.

I spend a great deal of time (and money) at the Hala Kahiki whenever possible, even if the club goers at the next table are drinking rounds of Jagerbombs and Miller Lite. Several of my last vacations have revolved around Tiki hotspots (and will continue to.)

It's 7:30 on a Tuesday, and I'm drinking Meyer's and pineapple juice. I'm ready to go.

On 2009-02-21 12:03, TikiHardBop wrote:
I'm a lifelong resident of sunny Rockledge Florida on the Indian River. We have been making various tiki additions to the house over the last year or so. My wife has also started making ceramic tiki mugs. We are looking forward to seeing everyone at Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale again this year. I am going to try to start collecting pics of tiki throughout the Space Coast.

I know TikiHardBop and his lovely and beautiful wahini and they are the coolest! Their house is awesome and becomes more tiki every day!! Great to have you on TC!

S

Well much aloha to all tiki addicts..This is Steve from Siargao island in the Pacific.My company kaputikicompany.com is a maker of some of the worlds finest tiki carvings.Hand carved by some of the worlds best carvers on our small island and lovingly finished out of aged cocowood (the original material for tiki).I am visiting family here in the US near the Sebastin area of Florida for a few weeks and have a beautiful selection of our works here straight from the island.We are gallery grade and a fine addition to any true tiki lovers collection.call Ren at 8582136776 or me (for awhile anyway) at 7572144678 we would love to talk tiki!!!

Hey Howdy! Cool Site Dudes! I had to cut one of our trees down in the back yard. So I thought, what the hell, I'll try to carve me a Tiki, my style. I think I liked it so I'm tryin' a couple more, but I really don't know what the hell I'm doin'. That's when I found you all. I dabble in many, many things, so I don't know how often I'll be on here, but I'll try and stay in touch. Cheers!

R

Greetings all!

My name's Ralph, and I became enamoured with all things Tiki after being taken to the marvellous Thatch here in Portland last year.

I've since begun a small collection of mugs, and enjoy making my own ginger beer.

I've also started dragging the wife and inlaws to Tiki bars I can find on vacation - we enjoyed a night at the Kon-Tiki in Tucson last month.

Looking forward to meeting other Portland tikinauts!

Hello! Lover of all things Tiki, tropical, and related to pools, bars, and boats. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to jump in. :)

Thanks for this board!

Thanks for jumping in!

J

Hey There,
just introducing myself. Great Site!
Just started carving Tiki in my spare time, we have a lot of palm wood here in Beautiful Scottsdale. Here's a sample, i'm working in a few different styles now. I also do custom Tiki culture illustrations for just about anything from in store dispays to Apparel, you name it. Guess thats it, check out my website if you're interested, i'm going to be posting a Tiki section in the portfolio soon.
Cheers!
~jon

J

Oh yeah, and here's an illustration i created a while back. The carving i posted is based on this guy.

Cheers!

I

Hiii! :) New here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies