Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

On 2009-03-05 10:15, jdarvizu wrote:
Hey There,
just introducing myself. Great Site!
Just started carving Tiki in my spare time....
~jon

Jon, my goodness, you are starting very young! I hope you are wearing gloves while carving, or you get splinters in your lil' soft paws!

:wink:

and he learned to type very early.
good for you young grasshopper.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2009-03-05 10:44, jdarvizu wrote:
Oh yeah, and here's an illustration i created a while back. The carving i posted is based on this guy.

Cheers!

I like it !

E Komo Mai

Yes, nicely done. Another great use of the Stephen Crane Luau/Hanalei Tiki:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30653&forum=4&vpost=426223

Some day I gotta do a post about its original carver. Keep up the good work, Jon.

M
Marty posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2009 8:24 PM

Hello everybody! I've been lurking around for a while trying to learn a thing or two about tiki carving. Here is my first one. What you see on your screen is actual size(unless you have a huge screen). It started as a piece of pallet I found at work(thus the nail hole through the side). I used a pocket knife and a razor blade to carve it out and then used a red hot nail to outline everything. After that I toasted the whole thing with a torch then sanded the teeth down to the original color. I finished it off by staining it with a few coats of coffee and then rubbed it down with gun oil. I want to make a big'un so I cut down a palm tree at work that needed to come down anyway. I also included a picture of some other crap I've carved at work(on my lunch breaks). The white and yellow are railroad chalk and the black one is another piece of pallet that I blackened by holding it a few inches above a zippo so as to cover it in soot and not burn it.

Aloha..........Coming soon will be the hottest mobile tiki bar available. As soon as we go live, I will post the link to the website, so check back for updates. We'll see ya in the tropics B-)

Cheers,
Tropical Todd
Time to Tiki

[ Edited by: timetotiki 2009-03-10 20:05 ]

[ Edited by: timetotiki 2009-03-11 13:55 ]

[ Edited by: timetotiki 2009-03-31 08:28 ]

A
ash77 posted on Wed, Mar 11, 2009 5:46 AM

Greetings,
Long-time TC looker, but just joined last month. I'm in grad school in London working on my dissertation on American Polynesian Pop-Culture at Mid-Century :D
--Ash

V

Aloha from Florida,
Finally joined TC after enjoying the site for a while. Interested in everything Tiki, especially mugs. I started collecting off of Ebay six months ago and have gotten some nice ones. Also have a large collection of tiki cocktail books, because what is a tiki mug collection without a cocktail????? We are also looking forward to the Hukilau in June--already made reservations for the Mai Kai. This forum is great--the resurgence of Tiki Culture is awesome--I am looking forward to what comes next! Have a great day everyone.

M
mp posted on Thu, Mar 12, 2009 2:20 AM

Hi Everyone, My name is MP, I have been checking out Tiki Central since the last Forbiden Island parking lot sale and I think the whole tiki community thing is awesome. I paint and carve with my spare time and want to share some my art with all of you. I am not a tiki artist yet, but I do have tiki's in my art and love tiki's and polynesian style. I'm a happy husband and father and hope to get involved in some way in o9.

I'm Looking forward to talking and
hopefully meeting some of you soon!

Mahalo
MP

Mmmmm... welcome creative newbies! jdarvizu, marty, mp... nice stuff.

Aloha all

New member in London Ontario Canada, eh.
My Grandmother was born (1908) in Hawaii and raised there, so have always had Tikis and other Hawaiian/ Polynesian/ Japanese art and stuff around. Even have an original Leeteg painting! As a kid I use to spend ALOT of time studying that picture,lol.
I have just recently started on the Tiki mug collecting. I'm kind of oblivious to things till it catches my eye and really didn't know about them.
About four months ago my girlfriend of seven years dumped me (this gets better, I hope?) and to ease my sorrow was doing some E-Bay'ing. I happened to run across the Tiki Farm O'opu Hue mug/bowl. Back story here…two years ago the girlfriend and I were in Hawaii and went scuba diving (first for both of us), she was really nervous but went down. Well the whole time she was down there, there was this Puffer fish that hovered right on her shoulder. The dive instructors took our picture under water and sure enough there was the Puffer fish on her shoulder in the picture. So after seeing this Tiki Farm O'opu Hue I had to get it for her. She really loved it. Still didn't help, but I had discovered the wonderfull world of Tiki mugs! Well we have been talking the last couple of weeks and she even came over to my house a couple of times. By now I have about 32 Tiki mugs and she thought (like me) that they are the coolest things. Well she told me tonight she would like to see about us getting back together. I don't know if it was due to the power of the Tiki or not, but I'll run with it,lol!
So that's my story so far....

M

I've been lurking on these boards on and off for a good 2 years now, and finally decided to register. I have been collecting tiki goodies for about 10 years, but within the last year or two I have become a more active collector. I look forward to connecting more with people now that I am officially registered!!

Z

On 2009-03-12 23:50, Lightning Steve wrote:
I don't know if it was due to the power of the Tiki or not....

The tiki can do many things, good Kane. Hope you & your Wahine are having fun collecting!!

Aloha,
~Zero

aloha

T

Greetings Tiki people! I just happened to stumble upon this site while I was Google-ing Solar Powered Tiki Torches. I am happy to have found it and I haven't had a chance to look around yet, so I thought I'd stop in here and introduce myself.
First of all, my first intro to Tiki was the TikiBar TV Podcast on I-Tunes about 3 years ago. It was the first time I'd ever heard of I-Tunes or podcasts. So I was lucky enough to witness the very first episodes of TikiBar TV, and of course, being a red blooded young man, I fell in love with Lala... and the show, of course!(if you don't know what I am talking about go to tikibartv.com and have a look around) So needless to say, I couldn't wait till the next episode. I bought a TikiBar T-Shirt and cool TikiBar hat and was kinda hooked on Tiki from then on. Later on that summer, my Dad was planning a big family reunion party in his very large back yard out in the country. But first he wanted to replace his small back steps with a nice patio deck, so we tore up the old one (3' x 8'), and built a new one (20' x 30'). I hauled the sections of the old deck out by the fire pit to be used as firewood for the party. The morning of the big day I showed up early to help out and for some reason I wanted to build a Tiki Bar, so my uncle, Cousin and I built a Tiki Bar using mostly the remains of the old deck. We decked it out in Christmas lights, hooked up my I-Pod, stuck in a few Tiki Torches and it was the life of the party! A few months went by and my Mom called me to ask what I was going to do with the Tiki Bar. It had served it's purpose and she wanted it outta there! So I took it apart and loaded it into the back of my Dodge Caravan. It fit like it was made to go back there. I brought it home and set it up in my sunroom. I've since taken it apart and brought it to 3 more cool parties. My plans for the Tiki Bar this year is to make it totally solar powered, so that I can run my 30 watt Altec Lansing subwoofer computer speaker system, hooked up to my I-pod, and some flickering LED lights, all plugged into a 800 watt inverter which is tied to a 12 Volt Deep Cycle Marine Battery, which is charged in the daytime by a Solar Panel on the roof. That is my goal for this year, so if you know anyone who has talked about a similar set up using solar power, I would love to read about it because I am trying to learn as much as I can. Sorry about the long drawn out story, I guess I just got carried away!! Peace

T

On 2009-03-12 23:50, Lightning Steve wrote:
Aloha all

New member in London Ontario Canada, eh.
My Grandmother was born (1908) in Hawaii and raised there, so have always had Tikis and other Hawaiian/ Polynesian/ Japanese art and stuff around. Even have an original Leeteg painting! As a kid I use to spend ALOT of time studying that picture,lol.
I have just recently started on the Tiki mug collecting. I'm kind of oblivious to things till it catches my eye and really didn't know about them.
About four months ago my girlfriend of seven years dumped me (this gets better, I hope?) and to ease my sorrow was doing some E-Bay'ing. I happened to run across the Tiki Farm O'opu Hue mug/bowl. Back story here…two years ago the girlfriend and I were in Hawaii and went scuba diving (first for both of us), she was really nervous but went down. Well the whole time she was down there, there was this Puffer fish that hovered right on her shoulder. The dive instructors took our picture under water and sure enough there was the Puffer fish on her shoulder in the picture. So after seeing this Tiki Farm O'opu Hue I had to get it for her. She really loved it. Still didn't help, but I had discovered the wonderfull world of Tiki mugs! Well we have been talking the last couple of weeks and she even came over to my house a couple of times. By now I have about 32 Tiki mugs and she thought (like me) that they are the coolest things. Well she told me tonight she would like to see about us getting back together. I don't know if it was due to the power of the Tiki or not, but I'll run with it,lol!
So that's my story so far....

Cool story Dude! The Power of the Tiki...eh!
peace

Welcome Tiki-Den. The Atlantic provinces have been severely underrepresented on TC.

SDT

T

On 2009-03-15 21:52, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Welcome Tiki-Den. The Atlantic provinces have been severely underrepresented on TC.

SDT

Thanks Sweet Daddy!
Cool screen name, you must be a wrestler.
How are things on Edmonton? I've never been... yet.
peace

Thanks Sweet Daddy!

Hey, you're probably the first person to pick up on the wrestling reference.

How are things on Edmonton?

Very snowy.

SDT

TS

Bump and welcome all....Hanford, I noticed a bunch of newer users within the last few weeks, and was wondering if this thread could be reverted to a sticky post up top?

Im new to Tiki central & glad to be here. Somebody give me a shout out! My syudio is located on Anna Maria Island fl(thus the name AnnaMarikiTiki!) check out some of my work online if you like. Ill post some of my carvings soon.-jkn

Tiki Central doesn't have the concept of "Sticky posts that people can still post to". it's a limitation of the system. Someday that may change, but for now, a post needs to be locked before it can be sticky. Sucks.

On 2009-03-16 07:14, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

Thanks Sweet Daddy!

Hey, you're probably the first person to pick up on the wrestling reference.

WOW,

The true identity of SDT unveiled:

Sweet Daddy Siki started wrestling in 1955 in Artisa, New Mexico. He also did some training in Los Angeles with Sandor Szabo and Ray Ortega. He says he was about 180 pounds when he started, but within three years weighed in at 230.

He moved to Toronto in 1961 because it was a good central location to travel across North America. "When I came to Toronto, I said 'My God, this is God's country," he said recently. "I fell in love with it." He still lives in Toronto today, and uses it as a base for his country & western band and his work as a DJ.

It's like the caped crusader unmasked.

DC

C

Howdy!
I joined because I want to keep a weather eye out for anything to do with The Tonga Room of the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco. Since there's a forum dedicated to the subject that's where I'll be. I found my way here by way of Radio Bamboo. Happy they're pod casting again! I often hang out in the chat at http://www.luxuriamusic.com where tiki lounge exotica is held in high esteem. Been in love with tiki all my life: From my dad's stack of Martin Denny records to my first visit to Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room as a kid. I'm happy to be here and look forward to new friendships.

I'm not Siki, but I own his record:

ALOHA & ODABO!!-brewtikiman here~~

NEW TO THE SITE ~~ yet lover and collector of all things tiki...have no had time to do me profile yet;can use the library equipment just now until my WIFI laptop gets online...

LOVE THE SITE SO FAR~~here's the deal:I saw on another site someone was talkin' about a TIKISPORK...well, I have one...it's way cool...won't be gettin' to this site too much,,,just as time permits...goota run,surf's up...

QUAND OMNI FLUNKUS SURFUS....(WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS-GO SURFING

[email protected]
RT

Aloha from Hotlanta! I have found this sight to be awsome and had to join. I was born in Honolulu and have since moved around the world. I collect Rat Fink items, Shag items, vintage wind-up robots, and Tiki mugs. I love anything hawaiian and drinking Tiki drinks! I am also in the process of building a 1939 Ford Rat Rod---:)

Hiya - Moondoggie here.
Have been lurking for a little while but since I have recently become obsessed with the polynesian pop phenomenon, I thought I'd join. I just can't stop thinking about tiki!
I am particularly interested in tiki mugs but don't yet own any!(a glitch I'd like to soon rectify) In fact, all I have is my new 'Tiki Modern' book.
As a complete and utter beginner, I may not have much to say, what with all the experts around here, but thought I'd better introduce myself... so, hi!

Aloha! New here as well. Very kewl forum!! I've been into ukuleles & Hawaiian culture for sometime.--I suppose it only (super)natural that I end up goofy about Tiki, huh?

Still a noob, but I'm gettin' there.

H

So actually it is already my second day here but i just found this thread now!
I just wanted to say hello to everyone and i hope we will have fun together :)

hi all. first time poster. long time lurker. this website gets my creative juices flowing. i've been tiki-fying my back yard SLOWLY for about a year now and just scored my first palm log and wanted to share that and just say hey and thanks for all the inspiration.
ian

hey everyone!
i'm not too new here, i've found this place a ways back while trying to find "tikikings" jewelry, since his site went down.
anyway, i enjoy tiki, reminds me of when i was a kid, born after the 60's.
must be the reason for my enjoying 60's british rock as well!
both were pretty popular back then!
anyway, i was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on the individual the builds the custom tiki carvings as well as the tiki built from resin, with a smoke machine so the tiki will blow smoke from the nostrils, as well as containing running water sound?
Yeah, they're for real, i forget who builds them.
anyone here have a 10' pole in their house?
if so, how does your wife feel about it?
hehe.

Aloha everybody!

Long time listener, first time caller. Glad to be here.

S

Good evening from Greece!

Long time fan of the site but just yesterday registered!

Glad to meet you!

Aloha tiki friends,

I am new to this forum so I wanted to say hello.

H
hombre posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 5:33 PM

another newbie here. I have been reading the site for a year or so. My home tiki bar is called the Cannibal Lounge and we usually have 5-8 people hanging out most weekends here in Avon (near Cleveland Ohio)

I enjoy checking out Tiki Davids Witco at one of the local antique malls. I have my eye on the outrigger but can't afford to pull the trigger yet.

Mug collection is at about 30 I guess. Some thrift finds, some antique store/mall finds and a few Ebay or new from Tiki Farm etc.

I am looking forward to learning more and hopefully meeting and partying with some of you fine folks.

Hombre (John)

Aloha and welcome to all the new tiki people.

just want to pass along a link to the hottest mobile tiki bar on the market right now. Please go to the following,

http://timetotiki.com/

Click on towable tiki bars.

Enjoy,
Tropical Todd

Hello Tiki People....I am new to Tiki Carving but think its killer. I have recently carved a large tiki which in inverted allowing the root ball to form the hair. I am having a problem with it starting to soften. The wood only dried out for a couple of weeks. While it was firm at first it is now carved and is starting to get mushy. I hope someone can help. I would hate to lose it.
Thanks Clay

Aloha!
New to the posting game. I've been steering the ship(bar) here at Elettaria in NYC over most of the past year. We do a very rum heavy bar program with nods to classic Tiki drinks (Zombie, Grog, etc.) as well as my own rum concoctions. Anyway, thought I'd get in the Tiki Room and nose around a bit.
Cheers,
Joe

H

lap top lurker signing on: northwest totem carver in the 90's. been carving tiki last few years. have tiki central to thank for helping me to not lose my mind from a year of back fusion surgery healing. as a former south sea island tattooer, i try to blend that art with carving. have been working my way up to some pendant carving. also trying to learn way around the computer so as to be more involved with pictures and posting. aloha...tom

I've been lurking in the tiki shadows for months, but was finally overcome by the need to join. My love of all things tiki began last year when my brother-in-law introduced me to Hala Kahiki here in the Chicago area. After a wonderful cocktail in their beautiful bar, I was positively hooked. After reading up on tiki travels since then, I feel fortunate to have given my tiki virginity to one of the most revered tiki bars in America.

Since Hala Kahiki, I've enjoyed repeat visits to Foundation Bar in Milwaukee. Can't wait to get up there again in the summer when the wife and I can enjoy some music and stay for the night. A few weeks ago we visited the new incarnation of Trader Vic's in Chicago. A great Mai Tai from one of the most professional bartender/mixologists I've met (so sorry I forget his name at the moment).

Meanwhile, my wife and I are starting our collection of mugs (up to six already) and are hoping to host a tiki party sometime this summer to celebrate our new passion. We've expanded our music collection to include the likes of Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman, with much more to come.

To consummate our new relationship with all things tiki, we hope to attend Tiki Oasis 9 in San Diego this year. We hope to meet many of you there and I feel that I know some of you already through your many posts, websites and contributions to a very wonderful, very social pastime.

Great to be here...officially!

Mahalo,
MauiHowie

[ Edited by: MauiHowie 2009-04-20 19:40 ]

[ Edited by: MauiHowie 2009-04-20 19:42 ]

T

Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm a tattoo artist in northern Ca. born and raised in San Diego. I'm joining to buy, sell, and trade anything tiki.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 21, 2009 10:52 AM

Welcome to all new members.
Steer clear of Ken Ruzic (Little Lost Tiki)---he's crazy.

Other than that you'll be fine.

Hello new tiki friends. I've been reading this and that from TC for awhile and now I want to try my hand at carving. I live in Southern California and can't wait to get started.

Mahalo

D
dcman posted on Sat, Apr 25, 2009 1:34 PM

I've been lurking for a while - finally decided to join - looks like a great place - check out the tiki bar I made last week, I'll post under tiki crafts

dcman

Z

Welcome all! It is so cool that so many of us get smiled on by Tiki!! I see that you're up here in NoCal, tuffluck... planning on dropping in to the Tonga, or Forbidden Island? If you're in the bay area, there's a fw good spots to hit.

Aloha,
~Zero

John The Bastard, reporting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies