Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Aloha,

My name is Mitch and I'm from Milwaukee WI. I popped in her every once in a while but never posted. My girlfriend and I are really into tiki culture and traditional hawaiian culture. Hope to have some really great conversations with you all!!!

MITCH!!!

Welcome Mitch,and girlfriend,come on out to Oasis this year!

Hello everyone from Scotland. I'm a lifelong fan of all things monster, sci-fi and Tiki and just love the panache and lore of the topic. Recent 'Pirates' movies reminded me of Butlin's, Filey's 'Beachcomber Bar' I experienced in my youth. This reignited my love and interest for all things Tiki and while scouting around for 'Beachcomber' memories, I found this magical site.
Oh, and I thought this might be of interest:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1097

Good juju to y'all!

Aloha! I am Hula Mama, aka Jennie Cole, aka Sharon Moffatt's (Nalani) oldest daughter! I just joined and wanted to say hi!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jun 17, 2009 1:29 PM

Hi! to you too - Hula Mama!!

Welcome to TC

C
chibb posted on Fri, Jun 19, 2009 8:35 AM

I am n
Images uploaded by you in the last 24 hours:
How do I include these images in my posts?

ew to site.My first tiki is named the protector

On 2009-06-16 19:03, kustomtiki wrote:
Welcome Mitch,and girlfriend,come on out to Oasis this year!

We would come to Oasis if we hadn't already planned a trip to Hawaii. There's always next year, I suppose :(

New member here, Jay Sullivan from Fort Worth, TX.
Going to get a new Tiki Tattoo this week (some of my ink pictures on facebook http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2122875&id=18307927&l=11bc279c39)
Also made an offer on a house with a back patio/porch, perfect for my own tiki bar!

F
Fredo posted on Sun, Jun 21, 2009 6:28 PM

New member Fredo from Brooklyn, NY checking in!

D

Okay so I'm new, too! As an inveterate lurker I just never can get the courage up to post ANYTHING!. Even a question. But it time to break out and say hello to all you nice Tiki folk! Hello! A little background on me (look at me-i'm typing!)I've loved exotica music since my grandma turned me on to it many, many years ago. Recently I was the Dj at the Kon Tiki here in Tucson doing an exotica/spy-fi/lounge music thing on sundays. I also spun from high atop the easter island statue on the last night of the Magic Carpet mini-golf place. Well thats enough for now...Aloha from the desert!

C

Hey Group. This site is way cool!

I am from Neenah, WI Into cool old stuff and old school rides. I have a bunch of classic cars and own my own business. Love Tiki and Rockabilly.
Friend of mine and myself put on a rockabilly old school hot rod show in Aug here in WI http://www.symcoshakedown.com.
Hope to find some good conversation and friends here!!
Mike

G

Hi everyone, I'm a new member today. I have always been landlocked but certainly appreciate and enjoy the Tiki look and lifestyle. I'll be visiting San Diego sometime this summer (July) due to my job and found Tiki Central while doing research to see what my dining and lounge options would be in SD. I'll be near the convention center.

Great to be here, any advice on San Diego's Tiki options? Bali Hai?

Cheers!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 29, 2009 5:39 PM

Welcome all new members. The 3 most important things to remember on TC:

1. Always use the SEARCH feature before starting a new post or asking about something
    that's probably been discussed a million times before.
  2. Always offer to buy GROG a drink when you see GROG at Tiki events.
    3.Ken Ruzic (Little Lost Tiki) is only being nice to you because he wants you to buy his crap.
    (Kirby, on the other hand is genuinely nice and you should always buy his artwork).

Vote DAILY for GROG' niece:
http://tinyurl.com/p8nojd

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-06-29 17:41 ]

Hello Everyone, I am new to Tiki Central and a Colorado transplant to Los Angeles. It's been great meeting everyone at the local shows.

Hi All...not really a new member, as I'm known to some of you as Pahoehoe Ule. I'll be doing some product design in the coming months under my new handle, and would welcome all encouragement and criticism you might feel led to offer.

[ Edited by: White Devil 2009-06-30 17:32 ]

Just checking in. Somehow I know AlohaStation. I live in Navarre FL, up in the panhandle. I have a wedding service called Tiki Beach Weddings.

Hey - I know you!! See ya soon!

B
Bunyip posted on Wed, Jul 1, 2009 7:58 PM

Aloha and G'day Tiki'ites.
I'm an Australian designer, newly signed up, working on my second series of Polynesian legend themed surf industry graphics, the site was a big help last year, this year I'm trying to find Myths/Legends about giant creatures or creation myths. So far I'm using The Fish of Maui and a Sepik creation myth involving a giant crocodile, any suggestions welcomed!
Bunyip

[ Edited by: Bunyip 2009-07-01 19:59 ]

M

Aloha from Kailua, Just wanted to shout out and say "I am here if any one has any info about Skipper and Lucille Kent." They lived in Northern California and Kailua-Kona. Restaurateurs and Adventurers! Artistic and Volatile! Skipper Kents and Zombie Village were their restaurants and bars. Amazingly decorated with Lucille's flair for Polynesian Pop! Tootles, Ms. M

Hi all! Not really new to tiki central but I haven't registered until now. Thought it was about time seeing I want in on the room crawl this year at TO9!

Aloha and lets drink a zombie together

[ Edited by: bradalbone 2009-07-28 12:11 ]

L

Welcome to the newbies!

PLEASE BEFORE YOU START POSTING ...

READ the mission statement http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php
so you know what this site is and is not about.

READ the rules about posting http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/rules.htm
(especially the ones about trolling since we have had a rash of that lately)

and

when in doubt PLEASE use the "Search" function

Mahalos!

Ia orana...good day.

'Been sniffing this site for a while and finally came ashore...

...it all started upon seeing "South Pacific" in film and on stage and watching "Adventures In Paradise" and reading Tales Of The South Pacific and Return To Paradise. And those 33 rpm records of "Hawaiian" music...

...and the appeal of Polynesian pop culture never went away. But now there is an e-Tiki culture and Tiki Magazine and new Tiki decour and art and music! How hip is that!?

'Looking forward to some good e-times here.

Haere maru (take it easy)

Haole Jim
(from the USA's central coast, the Great Lakes, specifically metro Chicago}

HI Everyone Aloha!
I joined a while ago but never made it official
Aloha! :drink:

[ Edited by: bamboo blonde 2009-07-19 13:33 ]

J

wow this site is really cool. my dad just told me about it. I'm Jennifer i live in new york i grew up around tikis and i never thought they would get this popular.
thanks for letting me join.
Jennifer Van Oosting Allen

N
noah posted on Tue, Jul 21, 2009 3:19 PM

Hello-
New to your group. I am particularly passionate about vintage rattan furniture and have a set to sell. No pix yet, but it is ten pieces in total. Six band arm/four piece sectional sofa, end table no top (meant for glass),kidney bean shape coffee table w/ mahogany top, corner table with little triangular top piece w/ mahogany tops, two seven band wall shelves that take two glass shelves. I will post in "For Sale" section with pix and more detail.
noah

T

Aloha!

I have fond childhood memories of leaping around the living room with my older sister as we tribal danced to our parents' "Taboo" LP (those shrunken heads captivated me as a youngster), so that may qualify me as a tiki aficionado from way back when, I don't know. At any rate, I think the tiki bug lay dormant until a few years ago when my wife and me threw our first luau and since then there's been no turning back.

I only recently found this forum and already I check in numerous times a day. Lots of great stuff here & I'm looking forward to discovering more!

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: Tobor64 2009-07-21 15:41 ]

Hello everybody! A short history of how I got here:
In the 60's I caught the bug in the Tiki Room in D-Land. (grew up in Huntington Bch, lot's of surf influence) The 70's brought me to "Kona Hawaii" a dinner/show in O.C. CA. The 80's and 90's brought trips to Hawaii and Sailing to Catalina Island, visiting Luau Larry's and Dougs Harbor Reef. After moving back to the Central Coast,CA (after a short stint in MO) with my wife, Moana Kai Maestra, the dormant bug became more active. We made our own small tiki bar and decorated our small condo dining room. Now we are in full swing in our '63 atomic ranch house (competely retro interior) with its own tiki room addition, including the Brazilia furniture and Tiki mask made by Zac Efron (a former student of mine). I have always been interested in Exotica Music. My vinyl collection is quite large now. You could categorize my tastes as "anything Atomic."
I'm looking forward to being more Tiki involved now, even though, I must admit I have other non-tiki interests such as classic cars of the 50's and 60's(emphasis as a Shelby enthousiast, but enjoy em all), model trains, record collecting, and I play Low Brass instruments.

[ Edited by: Loco Honu 2009-08-03 20:38 ]

[ Edited by: Loco Honu 2009-08-03 20:40 ]

DZ

On 2009-07-22 12:02, Loco Honu wrote:
In the 60's I caught the bug in the Tiki Room in D-Land. (grew up in Huntington Bch, lot's of surf influence) The 70's brought me to "Kona Hawaii" a dinner/show in O.C. CA. The 80's and 90's brought trips to Hawaii and Sailing to Catalina Island, visiting Luau Larry's and Dougs Harbor Reef. After moving back to the Central Coast,CA (after a short stint in MO) with my wife, Moana Kai Maestra, the dormant bug became more active. We made our own small tiki bar and decorated our small condo dining room. Now we are in full swing in our '63 atomic ranch house (competely retro interior) with its own tiki room addition, including the Brazilia furniture and Tiki mask made by Zac Efron (a former student of mine). I have always been interested in Exotica Music. My vinyl collection is quite large now. You could categorize my tastes as "anything Atomic."
I'm looking forward to being more Tiki involved now, even though, I must admit I have other non-tiki interests such as classic cars of the 50's and 60's(emphasis as a Shelby enthousiast, but enjoy em all), model trains, record collecting, and I play Low Brass instruments.

You have a Zac Efron-made tiki? Interesting - post a pic!

And you're a Shelby enthusiast? Sounds like you and our very own Queen Kamehameha might have something in common! :wink:

Welcome aboard! :drink:

M
Mako posted on Mon, Jul 27, 2009 4:26 PM

Big hello to all. I'm half of web design co. and while searching for inspiration found this site. Loving it, lots of great stuff here.

Hello to all. I am a new member, but have been a lurker for quite a while. I thoroughly enjoy your passion, banter, humor, and especially your hunt for information. Those are things I enjoy (besides all things tiki) and I am sleuthing on now and will hopefully be able to add some tid-bits in the future, as I have with Critiki some in the past. Thanks! Chris

P

OK, this is like the 3rd or 4th account this person has created to post spam. It is time to get rid of this individual. Mods?

Aloha aus New Braunfels.

G

Hello- I'm the newbie.

I'm yet another velvet painter and tiki lover.

Just giving y'all a shout out from Oakland, CA
Cheers!

Aloha Everyone!

I've been a tiki lover ever since my early childhood growing up at the beach here in San Diego around all the tiki inspired places (I won't say how long ago that was, but it was kinda still in the day). Anyway, several trips to Hawaii only fueled my love of tiki and it's great to finally be in a community of like minds! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Mahalo,

Rapa Nui Rich

K

Hello ! I must admit, I'm new to this culture, and I have much to learn. It started with an introduction to the Zombie, and my search to find a recipe. From there I stumbled onto this awesome world of food and drink, something I only ever seen in old movies.
Well, I can't wait to discover more of this site! See you around!

Well, I finally found an appropriate tiki name. I've been attending your Tiki Gatherings under my pseudonym "Tiki G's and Tiki Mango's Friend".

I realize that this name means "Merry Christmas", and as I see it, I give you all my gift of gab everytime we meet, just like Christmas!

Most people know me as "MEL".

I have to say, I absolutely love the vibe of the group and their inherant obsession with all that is TIKI. Now, I can actually post my own pics!

Hi everybody! We've enjoyed meeting some of you at events the past few years and finally took the jump into the forum. We really appreciate everything here on the board and look forward to sharing some of our collection with you.

I am very new to posting on TC but I've been a fan for years. I love tiki and have been spending the last couple years collaborating with another artist friend and biz partner Dan Peeler. We are also animators....(worked with Grog a long time ago) and puppeteers. Dan produced animation for Sesame Street (in the 1970s) and we had the pleasure of redesigning Chuck E Cheese at one point among tons of other fun stuff, all while living here in Texas. But I first fell in love with Tikis while growing up in Vacaville CA a long time ago.

I attended Tiki Oasis 8 last year...had a blast and decided to expand into making more tiki art and collecting. We'll have a booth at Oasis 9. Come see us! We'd love to meet you. Mahalo! Tiki Charlie

Welcome Tiki Charlie!

T

Aloha everybody! I've been a lurker for quite some time now and am well overdue of introducing myself. A couple friends of mine first told me about this site and I've been a tiki fan ever since. Tena korua Paipo & Tama :wink: I look forward to meeting many of you on here... Catch you soon, ~Marino (TasiTiki)

On 2009-07-22 12:02, Loco Honu wrote:
In the 60's I caught the bug in the Tiki Room in D-Land. (grew up in Huntington Bch, lot's of surf influence) The 70's brought me to "Kona Hawaii" a dinner/show in O.C. CA. The 80's and 90's brought trips to Hawaii and Sailing to Catalina Island, visiting Luau Larry's and Dougs Harbor Reef. After moving back to the Central Coast,CA (after a short stint in MO) with my wife, Moana Kai Maestra, the dormant bug became more active. We made our own small tiki bar and decorated our small condo dining room. Now we are in full swing in our '63 atomic ranch house (completely retro interior) with its own tiki room addition, including the Brazilia furniture and Tiki mask made by Zac Efron (a former student of mine). I have always been interested in Exotica Music. My vinyl collection is quite large now. You could categorize my tastes as "anything Atomic."
I'm looking forward to being more Tiki involved now, even though, I must admit I have other non-tiki interests such as classic cars of the 50's and 60's(emphasis as a Shelby enthusiast, but enjoy em all), model trains, record collecting, and I play Low Brass instruments.

Hi Loco Honu, glad to meet another Shelby enthusiast, even a Tiki /Shelby enthusiast! I sent you a PM.

AMy

C
ccain posted on Sun, Aug 9, 2009 2:14 PM

My wife recently introduced me to clay sculpture and I've been making tikis all morning. These have a hole drilled in them and once they are fired they will be the lock handles for my '64 Fairlane since I've decided to make a surf wagon out of it.

So without further ado.... Tiny Tikis:

Here's a shot with the X-acto just so you can get an idea of the scale:

Those are really cool ccain,nice work,coming to Oasis?

On 2009-08-03 04:25, KernTiki wrote:
Hello ! I must admit, I'm new to this culture, and I have much to learn. It started with an introduction to the Zombie, and my search to find a recipe. From there I stumbled onto this awesome world of food and drink, something I only ever seen in old movies.
Well, I can't wait to discover more of this site! See you around!

Me too KernTiki! I started with research into the Zombie drink and fell right in!

C
ccain posted on Mon, Aug 10, 2009 6:26 PM

On 2009-08-09 15:22, kustomtiki wrote:
Those are really cool ccain,nice work,coming to Oasis?

Thanks, I've made a few more since this post and will be firing them tomorrow. And YES! We are coming down to Oasis on Saturday! :D

Oooooh Shakalaka Ooooo Shakalaka WELCOME TO ALL THE NEWBIES!!!! Looks like more talent to honor. :)

hi im gabe, new user but been lurking around the site for a couple of months

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies