Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

I'm a new member at Tiki Central, but I've known about this place through Tiki Atari, who has used guidance from here for ages. I also signed up as FenrixTiki over at Ooga-Mooga.

I live in Atlanta, and frequent our Trader Vic's. We're planning an excursion to the Bookhouse Pug Tiki Tuesdays and will make a report.

Trader Vic's started the affair with Tiki, but Frankie's Tiki Room in Vegas sealed the deal. I appreciate the resources here and have gotten lots of info on Hawaiian Cottage in NJ, which is down the street from where my wife grew up. Next time we go home I plan to do some antiquing to see what I can find.

[ Edited by: FenrixTiki 2010-05-31 15:02 ]

Hey everyone....I've been researching building a tiki bar for my pool area for the past few summers. Still haven't found the right design to get it done. In doing my annual research, I came across Tiki Central and it seems like a good place to get some ideas!

When not dreaming about a pool side Tiki bar, I'm thinking about my reef tank hobby-addiction. Something about tropical things is appealing to me up here in Michigan. If you like reefs, please check out my reef keeping forum, http://captivereefs.com.

Anyway looking forward to seeing some inspiring designs on Tiki Central!

Hello to all,
I have read thru this forum over and over, alot of great artists and people here. Finally joined, so I can start posted and sharing stuff!

Nick

I'm a Tiki fan and now that I'm on TikiCentral I hope to share stories and look for cool Tiki events and stuff. lately I've been looking for vintage Tiki Hawaiian Aloha shirts.

Hello guys. Zerostreet told me about this place and I happen to be part of a Tiki Show down here in South Florida.
I'll post it up in the gallery. I have been fond of the Tiki Art I've seen throughout the years especially the Ryden
and from the Tiki Art Now books. I love the mystical side of this kind of art and it's really a bit of a mystery to me.

Here's the link to the Art I did in case you are interested.

Hi everyone! I am a new member, but have been coming to the tikiroom for a while now. Love this site. I am working on my second tiki and decided that I needed to be a part of this group. There are some amazing carvings out there and I am an aspiring carver. Thanks for all the inspiration over the past few years, glad to be a member now.

L

Hi all...Newbie here. I recently found this site and am thrilled to be here. I've been a closet Tiki fan since I was a little girl sneaking out of bed to watch Hawaii 5-0 in the hallway without my parents knowing (for some reason, the show came on at 10:30 pm, way past my bedtime :o). My first effort at creating a Tiki world was when I was a teenager, and I hung one of those Pier One nets in the corner of my bedroom with a bunch of Tiki-ish stuff tossed into it. Of course, I had an incense burner and a bamboo curtain, too. :) My Tiki addiction went underground for many years, but has finally reemerged. My current goal is to convert our back porch into a full-fledged Tiki bar like some of the great examples I've seen here. You'd think any man would be thrilled his wife wanted to do such a project, but I'm dragging my husband kicking and screaming into accepting that this would be a really cool idea, LOL. I'll mostly be lurking, but look forward to getting lots of great ideas from y'all. And when we finally start the project, I will be sure to post pics. Thanks!

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, finally decided to sign up so that I can post from time to time. My username comes from my love of classic 50s-70's Latin music and is based on a Tito Puente album, but I have eclectic musical tastes so on't hold that against me :)

Have a small collection of mugs that reside in my kitsch tiki-value-added home bar and have been dabbling with rum drinks for some time now. More than a casual attempt too as I have taken the step of making my own pimento dram, which I'm pretty pleased with.

Look forward to interacting with folk, toodle pip!

B

Hi everybody !

Just thought I'd post up an introduction since I'm new to the site (and so glad I found such a great little oasis on the 'net !).

My name is Rob, I've been playing Hawaiian/Polynesian music in the San Diego area for about 14 years now (still have a day job for now, haha).

Here's looking forward to making some new friends, learning some awesome new cocktail recipes to share, and hopefully sharing some music with you guys somewhere down the road !

Mahalo nui loa,
Rob

Aloha!

So...first off...it says I'm a member of two years...which might be the case, but I've just now actively started using this website. Reason: I'm buying my first home!!! So exciting. Second reason: I want my whole bedroom done in as authentic as possible Tiki! Been a fan since I was a teen, and I've been slowly acquiring pieces, some great stuff, even a hand done reproduction of a recent piece of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room art for it's anniversary. SO FUN! Anyway...I have a friend at PIXAR who took me on a tour and I met his boss who is a HUGE ...omg HUGE Tiki fan and I basically think he's the coolest. He turned me on to this site and so here I am once again and planning to enjoy the site to it's fullest! All the best...Colby

I just realized I havent even posted my introduction on here yet!

I'm Carlos Rossi, I'm a 31 year old Los Angeles local, been browsing this forum for a while now, been fairly active just recently posting and getting involved. I'm a regular at the Tiki Ti, Damon's Steakhouse in Glendale, and when I get to leave the city you can find me at Bahooka, Don the Beachcomber and maybe even Oceanic Arts!

I run a blog called Dark & Tiki which is my hunt for the dark side of the Tiki. Music, Films, Bars, Decor, Clothes.. you name it.

So if you're feeling bored and want to hear a little rant on my search, I have a podcast up on my page. Click the link below for a re-route to my dark & tiki world!

Other than that, I'm EXTREMELY grateful for this forum! It's been a HUGE help!!

Mahalo!

i all my name is mick from leeds uk. i hope to post some photos shortly, and sip a few rums with you all.

Welcome Mick,

From just down the road in Sunny Sheffield.

Cheers,
Joe.

hey up joe
going tiki mad at the moment.converting my garage,most stuff from ebay.realy hard to find tiki props in uk.not far off completion now.just need more sun.
regards mick

9T

Hey All,

I've been long time lurker here, I also ...finally decided to sign up so that I can post from time to time. Some may know my band, 9th Wave. We play Hot Rod Surf, tiki, twang, spy, sci-fi, and much more. It's not just surf music and tiki drinks ...It's a way of life.

Mike - 9th Wave

D

Hi Everyone, great to be hear amongst like minded people. I'm a gardening DIY nut and drive my wife crazy by constantly tweaking and adding to the cavings and oil torches in our garden and on the deck.

We have 2 hives of bees at the bottom of the garden and 4 chickens.

I'm violetgirl from Fort Lauderdale and I'm Tiki-by-marriage...to Hurricane Hayward. I'm a newbie to Tiki, so please be gentle with me.

My parents practically lived at Trader Vic's and the Luau in the late 1950s and 1960s, but I guess it wasn't genetic as I'm just learning about Tiki from my new husband.

I just attended my second Hukilau and we frequent the Mai-Kai often (we were actually married there in March) so I'm learning fast...

[ Edited by: violetgirl 2010-06-29 06:56 ]

Hi Violetgirl. Enjoyed talking with you and Hurricane Hayward at Hukilau. Welcome!

D
DJKen posted on Tue, Jun 29, 2010 4:03 PM

I'm DJKen...been a fan of tiki since I was a little coconut running around the King Kauai Apartments in Santa Ana (near 17th & King St...still there!).

A deep and profound love for Mid-Century, Tiki Googie and many of the styles and cultures that sprang up in those fertile times!

Keep on Rockin',

Ken

http://www.djken.com

(714) 686-8397
USMC '82-'85, 5711/0811
A Budhist walks up to a hotdog vendor and says "Make me one with everything!"

[ Edited by: DJKen 2010-06-29 16:05 ]

Mahalo, excited to be aboard! I have been living a parasitic existence, taking in vast amounts of information and knowledge, yet giving nothing in return. Looking forward to being a contributor. I’m fortunate to be in the Southern California area, where I’ve had many opportunities to explore the rich local Tiki offerings-my favorites so far: Oceanic Arts Warehouse, Tonga Hut, Tiki-Ti, and Trader Vic’s in downtown LA. Cheers to all those who make this site possible!

Welcome, welcome one and all! Tiki Central attracts some of the most interesting people on the planet.

T

Welcome DJ Ken & Gold Zephyr

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 1, 2010 10:17 AM

On 2010-07-01 01:46, gold zephyr wrote:
I’m fortunate to be in the Southern California area, where I’ve had many opportunities to explore the rich local Tiki offerings-my favorites so far: Oceanic Arts Warehouse, Tonga Hut, Tiki-Ti, and Trader Vic’s in downtown LA.

Be sure and go to Don the Beachcomber off of Pacific Coast Highway; it's awesome. And, if you haven't hit Damons in Glendale and Bahooka in Rosemead, they are definitely worth checking out, too.

X

Hi guyz! I'm new to the Tiki thing but Tiki statues and tropical things rock and I definitely want to learn more... especially about building Tiki huts... and definitely nothing plastic, lol. I'm out of school for the summer so I have tons of time to learn! Thanks for having me here!

Hi Everyone,
New Member here,
I'm Scott and I live in Savannah,
collect vintage Tiki items, bamboo rattan furniture, especially the Ashcraft line of Heywood Wakefield. Especially like large timber bamboo items. Anything bamboo themed ! Here is an antique chinese Bamboo cabinet I acquired years ago
!

I especially like the 2-tiered ikebana vases - made from the large bamboo culms. here is an example: _ I want to grow my own bamboo and make one !

I also collect vintage Tarzan movie posters, especially the large 4'x5' French posters, which have amazing graphics. here is an image of my favorite poster:

I bought this many years - it's a bollywood India production/ rip-off of the American tarzan movies , which stars TURKISH actors, and was released in France -with poster artwork done by French artists - - talk about global !

I just purchased a Rattan plant holder in the shape of an upright standing curved snake with a forked tongue! - about 5 feet tall - in process of restoring it !

I'm looking for a bamboo, pineapple, pagoda themed chandelier. I also collect chinese bamboo root carved sculptures. next project is to start growing moso timber bamboo and build my own tiki bar/ gazebo in the backyard !!

PS: Savannah has the Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens, which is hosting the National Bamboo Association conference this year in November !

Ok, enough raving -off to sleep !! with my miniature piebald dachshunds !!

Glad to meet everyone, looking forward to chatting, love seeing photos of other people's tiki rooms, backyards,
Cheers,
scott in savannah and the dachshunds

Roger Grog will check those out when I get out of my cage

On 2010-07-03 22:16, savannahscott wrote:
Hi Everyone,
New Member here,
I'm Scott and I live in Savannah,
collect vintage Tiki items, bamboo rattan furniture, especially the Ashcraft line of Heywood Wakefield. Especially like large timber bamboo items. Anything bamboo themed ! Here is an antique chinese Bamboo cabinet I acquired years ago

I also collect vintage Tarzan movie posters, especially the large 4'x5' French posters, which have amazing graphics. here is an image of my favorite poster:

I bought this many years - it's a bollywood India production/ rip-off of the American tarzan movies , which stars TURKISH actors, and was released in France -with poster artwork done by French artists - - talk about global !

Cheers,
scott in savannah and the dachshunds

Welcome - I'm a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs - and after years of watching Turkish Star Wars and Star Trek I am shocked! that there could be a Turkish Tarzan.

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2010-07-03 23:09 ]

P

Aloha everyone. I kinda forgot to introduce myself. I'd been lurking on the board for a long time and when I forgot my log-in and password I decided to just make a new one and start participating a little. My only contribution so far has been a sorely lacking attempt at getting the great plains fired up -

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36829&forum=1&15

As you can see, I live in Nebraska. I'm thirty years old, still in school and renting, so there's not much I can do. I only have a small collection of mugs, but a big interest. I'm at that frustrating point in life where I'm waiting for all the pieces to fall together to start building a permanent life (a tiki bar). I just proposed to my girlfriend and we're getting married next year, so that's a start (and a subtle hint for everyone to get me tiki paraphernalia for wedding presents).

So, as a young newbie in an obviously non-tiki-central area of the big US, if anyone knows of any ideas or helpful hints to kickstart a collection on a student's budget, throw 'em at me any time.

Mahalo.

Well I decided to join after you all got me addicted to tiki mugs about 3yrs ago, the music followed and now of course the bar is now in progress.I wasn't going to post progress pics of it as all my ideas have been stolen straight from these pages and I didn't want to be compared to others....but what the heck. So i'm here now Smuggler Joe and we have named the outside bar now officialy "Smuggler Joe's Emporium of Exotica...Thanks for the addiction folks...

O

New to this site, looking forward to exploring the tiki lifestyle, I am Robert from Tiki, er I mean Tulsa, OK, looking for a tiki god chimenea, any help? email, [email protected]

tikifarm.com

Hello everybody! My name is Martini BombsHELL, and I am brand-new to posting, but have been reading Tiki Central posts and topics for 4 yrs. now. Glad to be here!

I just signed on to Tiki Central and wanted to say Aloha. I'm in Gainesville, FL and just recently went to my first Hukilau and now I'm suffering serious withdrawal symptoms. Must...have...more...Tiki! I'm an artist and do some fun stuff that I hope to post before long. Cheers!

Greetings!

So glad to find you!!!

I just purchased a 28' Ford Elite motorhome and while it is in the shop, being readied for the road, I have been scouring the internet for resources and ideas to transform it into my own little Tiki haven (or heaven, as the case may be!)....and here you are!!! What a fantastic site!!!

Can't wait to get started and looking forward to sharing my progress and picking the brains of all you brilliant Tikiphiles!

Cheers!

L
LOCKr posted on Sun, Jul 18, 2010 5:13 PM

Hello All, I can't believe I found this site today,I haven't even seen a portion of it and can't wait to get to the photo section,but I thought I'd introduce myself.Not a typist for sure so excuse any mistakes.I am here because I've been bitten by the Tiki bug and so much I decided to turn it into a business, but thats not why I'm here.I'm here to learn more of Tiki attitude and to explore the world of Tiki.On the business thing,I rent Tiki Bars and accessories in central Nj.I enjoy dropping of and setting up a bar for others to gather around and relax and party.of course getting paid for it IS a plus.I also set up a bar when my wife and I have guest over for an evening of relaxing.I saw a post somewhere about how the Tiki lifestyle was waining but finding this site with it's huge membership has proven to me otherwise. I hope all is well with you all.
peaceout!
Rick

Howzit? Been lurking off and on for a bit, and figured it's time to go all the way and take the plunge. I was born and bred in So Cal, spent much of my early years in Hawaii. I was lucky enough to have a Dad that worked construction in da islands, and every summer he'd send for us. Tiki is a way to keep the youngster alive in myself, and rum laced cocktails don't hurt either.

Cheers!

G

Hi, everyone. I'm from the US originally, but I live in the Tokyo area now and just like you I love Tiki pop culture and art. I also love Exotica music. I love going to the Trader Vic's in Tokyo in the New Otani Hotel and will post photos up here or at least a link to my Picasa folder of a visit a few months ago to it. Heck, I guess I can put the link in my intro here as well.
http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/thomas.gantz/TraderVicsTokyoDinner
I also have a blog with lost of photos about strange and interesting things I've found in my life here in Japan. It is at:
http://exotic-japan.com
Hope you can check that out as well.

Thanks.

Tom

[email protected]

D
DJKen posted on Wed, Jul 21, 2010 9:30 AM

Tom,

Welcome! Konichi-Wa! Spent most of my tour in Okinawa but I was stationed at Camp Fuji near Takagahara in '84-'85, (USMC), and stayed at the New Sano hotel many times while in Tokyo for the weekends...really enjoyed my time there...we did our own version of a Pub Crawl one night...starting at one end of Ropongi visiting each bar, collecting matchbooks, but only drinking at every tenth stop...we got hammered!!! (if you've never heard of the Ropongi District of Tokyo, it's all bars and nightclubs...six to ten story "office" buildings with a different bar on each floor!).

Had a good time on the trains too... The Ginza was amazing! Visited a six-story toy store, each floor was dedicated to different types of toys...record stores were several floors with recording studios at the top...I still have a decal from a new television show that was being launched, "Midnight In Ropongi". The exchange rate was 230-250 Yen to the Dollar...ah, the good ol' days!

Keep on Rockin',

Ken

http://www.djken.com

(714) 686-8397
A Budhist walks up to a hotdog vendor and says "Make me one with everything".

[ Edited by: DJKen 2010-07-21 09:31 ]

[ Edited by: DJKen 2010-07-21 09:33 ]

JJ

Ungawa! Greetings everyone! I've been luking here for a little while and have finally taken the membership plunge. This site is amazing if not a little overwhelming!

I'm a 42 year old graphic artist from the Metro Detroit area. Though I've never been to the islands or the jungle, For many a year I've been facinated with world that is Poly Pop. And thanks to Tiki Magazine, I've been able to get a my fix and find this wonderful site.

I'm looking forward to immersing myself in the lifestyle a little more (a welcome relief from Michigan's woes) and hopefully having something to contribute in the future!

Hi! I originally posted my "introduction" in the Ohana forum (BAD newbie). Like many of you, I've lurked for a while around here before becoming a member. About me: I'm the manager of services and support for a healthcare software company in Fresno, my beautiful wife and I just celebrated our 15th anniversary and we have two boys, 9 and 12. One of my interests has always been Hawaiiana, but I'm relatively new to vintage tiki, pop culture and the like. I've been searching for a new style for an old pool bar - that search led me to Frankie's Tiki Room in Vegas, which opened my eyes to this new world, and Rumshaker pointed me here. You are all so creative and talented that I will no doubt unabashedly steal some of your ideas for my own space. I am absolutely stunned by some of the spaces, large and small, that you have managed to design and build. I know that my progress will be slow, because although I fancy myself relatively comfortable with power tools I've also committed myself to learning to carve my own trim pieces and small tikis, as well as possibly creating my own tapa. Some of my ancestors were Hawaiian, and as I get older I feel the connection more and more - what better way to show respect for my heritage than to learn their ancient artistic methods?

The ancient Hawaiians DID have the Dremel, right?

Aloha everyone. I'm another one who has lurked here for a while to get a feel of the place and finally taken the membership plunge. I'm an independent filmmaker living in Los Angeles and currently living the debauched life of a man in a long term relationship. I've been a fan of tiki music (Marty, Les and Art) for about 10 years. I'm also a big fan of the 60s, vintage tv shows (my favorite is Mission Impossible), googie architecture, space-age themes, Soviet women, airport departure lounges, stewardesses (especially Swedish ones), alcohol and tropical midnight watering holes.

Looking forward to interacting with the personalities here.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Jul 26, 2010 11:50 PM

Welcome newbie ex-lurkers! Nice to meet you.
Now get working posting cool tiki stuff (or bilge or beyond) to compensate those years of lazy selfish leachness!

P.D. Avoid the too simple comments like "cool man" and never make fun of artists.

It's really a jungle out there!
Good luck

Zeta
Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico

B
Bau posted on Tue, Jul 27, 2010 10:44 AM

Hi,

I am a female guitarist from New Jersey. I play mostly rock and metal but am working on slack key and that is what led me to an interest in polynesian culture and all things tiki.

I have a homemade backyard tiki bar (even though I can't drink alchohol lol) that I have had for about 3 years and slowly expanding on as ill health (Lyme Disease)and finances allow. Reading this forum has been great for inspiration. :)

I read when signing up that this forum is geared for tiki 'pop culture' of the '60s type stuff?
I am still a bit confused as to what is considered 'traditional' and what isn't, so please excuse my rampant ignorance.
As a natural course, I have always loved many forms of tribal art and music and incorporate all sorts of things from various influences and cultures in my art and decore and and have more historical influences and knowledge over pop culture.

I love the escapism my tikibar and looking at all the great tiki art on here provides. visions of paradise, even if only fantasy, are a wonderful escape and cheerful distraction from my rather painful incapacitation. I can't ever travel to beautiful exotic places, but I can , in a way , bring them to me :wink:

cheers everyone

Read Sven Kirsten's "Book of Tiki" or "Tiki Modern"..and you will learn all about Tiki!

Thanks Lucas. It is really very simple. There are three main categories:

1.) REAL Polynesian and Oceanic tribal art and culture

2.) The 20th (Mid-)Century Americanization of that culture (which was inspired by 1.)) now known as TIKI culture

3.) The Tiki Revival of the 1990s and 2000s (which was inspired by 2.), and also a bit by 1.))

This site embraces all three, favors 2.), and has had an active part in promoting and inspiring 3.)

E
evel posted on Fri, Jul 30, 2010 3:40 PM

Hey I'm Piero and I use to be on here but it was a while ago...

I run Mad Fabricators Society witch is a Hot Rod and Custom DVD Production Company..

I also work for George Barris and started a new site called Barris Kustom City witch focus's on
early Barris.. Pre Hollywood..

I've been Collection everything that is Polinesian for about 10 years now and even have 14 Tikis
tattooed on me.. I know..

I also have time share in Maui that my whole year revolves around trying to make enough dough to
get out there,,,

I'm going to start to sell off some of my collection and I figured this is the best place to have people
that respect vintage Polinesian goods...

Hello all,

My name is Paul Francis and we have been lurking for a long time. My wife and I are artists and have been bitten by the Tiki craze thanks to our friends Swanky and Tiki65.

The wife has made several Tiki mugs and our future 1200 sq ft Bar will be Creature From the Black Lagoon Tiki Theme. I know a little weird but we are huge Creature fans and think it will fit the theme nicely.

Attached are several of our mugs and a pic of my full sized creature that will be the included in the new bar once we start construction.

Tiki Rex

Creech tiki

KNB Creature

We are active on Facebook and have started adding our mug collection to our Facebook pages.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1014120709

Our website is: http://www.lucasfrancisstudio.com

We are just here to share and enjoy everything tiki!

Thanks,

Paul

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 7:58 AM

Welcome my friends.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies