Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

M

Welcome, blacklagoon!

Maybe it's just me, but Shag's "Jetsam" mug always struck me as slightly resembling the Creature from the Black Lagoon. (Well, he's green, at any rate!)

Thanks guys, I'll need to keep an eye out for that mug, he does resemble the Creature a little. :wink:

I also just applied to be a grand member, a cool place like this needs funds to exist, so the least I can do is throw in a few bones.

Paul

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2010-08-03 13:20 ]

P
phinz posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 1:44 PM

On 2010-08-03 07:47, blacklagoon wrote:
thanks to our friends Swanky and Tiki65.

/me feels left out...

Sorry and my first Friday brother Scott!!!! :wink:

Paul

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 2:08 PM

On 2010-08-03 07:47, blacklagoon wrote:

...know a little weird but we are huge Creature fans and think it will fit the theme nicely.

Maybe not so weird. In Tiki Magazine (Winter 09/10 Vol. 5, No. 3), writer Will Viharo (who I believe posts here as AquaZombie) lists TCFTBL as #2 on the list of Top Ten Horror Cult Classics that complement Tiki.

"The Gill Man is the ruling Tiki God of Classic Monsters".

I agree. :) I look forward to seeing your upcoming "Creature" Tiki bar.

BB

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time user. This is my first post. So glad to finally be a part of the community.

MN

Aloha Bongo Ben,
Take a seat. Would you like a mai tai?

Just saying 'ello and thank you for having me!

Howdy,

I'm from Perth, Australia and love my Tiki bars and culture. Also in the vintage scene and lover of all things art deco and 1930s.

Have travelled the globe and always drop into Tiki bars wherever I go. Amazingly - 2 of the best Tiki offerings I have been to in all my travels are local! So I am very lucky.

A

Hello everyone, I'm Anna from Singapore. Glad that I found this site, since I'd love to learn more about Tiki culture :)
I also love making new friends and having fun here.

L
Liana posted on Mon, Aug 9, 2010 4:39 AM

On 2010-08-08 21:05, Frangipani wrote:
Howdy,

I'm from Perth, Australia and love my Tiki bars and culture. Also in the vintage scene and lover of all things art deco and 1930s.

Have travelled the globe and always drop into Tiki bars wherever I go. Amazingly - 2 of the best Tiki offerings I have been to in all my travels are local! So I am very lucky.

Hi there!

Welcome to tikicentral, it's always great to see other Australians joining this forum - we need more tiki dammit! What are the 2 local tiki offerings you speak of?... Hula Bula Bar, and...?

Liana

Hi,

I’m a reporter with The Columbus Dispatch. I’m working on a story about the 10-year anniversary of the Kahiki’s demise. I’m asking around for any memories minor and major and checking in on any Kahiki related projects. Please give me a call before Aug. 23 if you’d like to share.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Gibson
Metro News Reporter
The Columbus Dispatch
614-461-8561 (office)
614-461-7580 (fax)
[email protected]

Follow eagibson on Twitter.

M

Aloha Tiki People!

From the sunny shores of Fresno California.

Cheers,
Darrin aka mr_retro

T

Hello all, long time peeping tom of the site. Not a big fan of computers so don't get on too much, but the beginning phase of a new business or shall I say passion has forced my hand. I will be asking all for help in the near future as it does take a village to undertake what I'm about to do. Thanks to all of you on this site for making my life better in every way!!!!

Hello everyone! I have been lurking for a few months and figured it was now time to register, introduce myself and try to contribute to the community in some way. I've always had a love of tiki and 40's and 50's pop culture and, while I was single, had a great collection of, well... bitchin' stuff. But, after getting married, buying a house, moving, trying to clear out the basement, etc. I got rid of nearly everything that was cool. A few weeks ago my wife decided she wanted to throw a tiki party in September. I jumped up, grabbed a pad and paper and shouted "I'll build a tiki bar in the backyard! I'll be in the basement planning!" And I grabbed a cigar and a bottle of gin and disappeared for 2 days.
So, I've got some basic plans drawn up and I hope to start construction sometime this week or early next week. It will probably be 8 feet long simple b/c that's how my local lumber yard sells plywood (yes, I'm using plywood). I'm sure I'll do a hack job b/c I'm not a carpenter and don't have any valuable skills when it comes to building (or math). I plan on building the bar in one part of my yard for the party but, next season I hope to install a patio in a different section of the yard, so I want to somehow, someway 'move' my bar. But I'll worry about that next season.
Anyway, hope I can somehow contribute to the forum.

Cheers!

On 2010-08-16 10:27, Adcurium wrote:
... "I'll build a tiki bar in the backyard! ... I plan on building the bar in one part of my yard for the party but, next season I hope to install a patio in a different section of the yard, so I want to somehow, someway 'move' my bar. But I'll worry about that next season. ...

Welcome to Tiki Central. Movable Tiki Bar? Here's one that's on hidden wheels (and it's classy lookin' too)!

More info here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37523&forum=17

Aloha...Tiki-ites. New Member here, and New to Tiki collecting. Currently collecting Enchanted Tiki room memorabilia from Disneyland, and found this group through a web search on Bing. Glad to be here!

Aloha! My wife and I are sitting in the San Diego airport waiting for our flight back to Colorado. We just spent 4 fabulous days at Tiki Oasis 10.This was our first time attending and we will definitely be back. Thanks Dave and Tara for recommending such a groovy vacation! Everyone told us we should join the rap at Tiki Central - so here we are. We met so many far out people this past weekend! We look forward to keeping in touch - and to Tiki Oasis 11! Mahalo!

Howdy - ahem - Mahalo, from the bucktooth state (Ohio).

See you folks around here, enjoy.

wow, just getting started, and fresh back from tiki oasis 10, where many of the locals from here encouraged i get my ass here asap. I see why they were so adamant. LOL --I think i have not stopped looking for 2 days! got a lot to catch up on.

L

On 2010-08-25 11:44, TikiBeast wrote:
wow, just getting started, and fresh back from tiki oasis 10, where many of the locals from here encouraged i get my ass here asap. I see why they were so adamant. LOL --I think i have not stopped looking for 2 days! got a lot to catch up on.

YAY!! SO glad you are on here now!

DT

Hi there!

I want to introduce myself, and since this is the introduction topic, i think I'm in the right place!

My name is Henry, 27 years old, and from the Netherlands.
The first time i ever saw a tiki, i was intrigued by their ''personality'', it was on a marketplace near a rockabilly festival. Seeing the strange faces and masks carved out of wood and the unlimited ammount of mugs offcourse made me very anctious about the origin of them, (Are they really from outer space? or just an ancient art, blah blah :wink: ) I started out on the internet searching for them, and saw this forum passing by a couple of times.

So I've been lurking here for not to long, been looking around on ebay, and started building my own little tiki-bar in my home, it's been a bit hard, 'cause there are not a lot of stores around here in Holland which sell stuff specifically in tropical theming

Another reason i started building my own bar is that I've been visiting our one and only little Tiki-bar in The Hague, NL. It's called ''the Vavoom Tikiroom'', been there one night, and totally got hooked on the style and interior... And i don't like to drink and drive!

So here's my story for now, i hope i can post some pictures in a few days of my own project, it's almost done, and i don't have any ''construction/work in progress'' pictures, 'cause i like to work efficient and fast paced, but if there are any questions, I'll try to answer them and make some sort of an explanation.

See ya, Mahalo,

Henry

Hello Everyone,
I'm a camera man living in Los Angeles and have been enjoying reading about and drinking the history of cocktails and recently Tiki drinks.  I joined recently on the advice of another member so I could go on a pub crawl put on by John-O.
Most Thursdays, when I'm not working, I take part in the Mixoloseum Blog  TDN (Thursday drink night) where we experiment and share original cocktail recipes.
I'm just dipping my toes in the Tiki history and culture here in LA and am looking forward to learning more about it.
Me and a couple friends have been posting our favorite cocktails at:
http://drunkycrow.blogspot.com/
Check it out.  It is mostly pre-prohibition recipes with a few tiki and originals thrown in.
Sketch "drunkycrow" Pasinski

C

Hello Folks, Names Troy.

While I'm currently living in Bakersfield California with family, I was living in Santa Cruz previous to that with a bottle of run and sand in my crack. I'm poking around for ideas for the home bar me and my fellow booze-hound girlfriend will be putting together when we get our ducks in a row and finally move in together (hopefully in the next few months). I'm rather fond of all sorts of drinking, but who doesn't love the wild whimsy of Tiki. Tiki, with its rich Polynesian pop heritage, and the ability to bend anything to the theme so long as its fun. Besides, like all Californians, I suffer a pirate fetish despite my coast only ever having one real pirate.

JD

Hi, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I just joined Tiki Central. I've always been fascinated by different aspects of Polynesian culture but I must say that it was my buddy Tony (Martini Kings) that really turned me on to the Tiki scene. I am a filmmaker in Los Angeles and I have been directing projects involving different aspects of Tiki, Lounge, and Burlesque. Yesterday I finished my most recent project entitled "Save The Tiki." I'm looking forward to posting and meeting new folks. I have lot's videos to share!
Cheers,
Josh

Click Here To Watch The Film

[ Edited by: Josh D 2010-09-03 06:55 ]

T
TikiG posted on Sun, Aug 29, 2010 8:50 AM

Josh - Bravo! Welcome to TC

I made the pilgrimage to The Hut earlier this year when I was in Tucson for the Kon Tiki re-lighting ceremony.

Tucson is a world-class tiki destination no doubt about it.

Thanks for sharing this little video piece with us. I'll be checking out your other projects too.

(if you are attending Tony's party in a couple weeks, I'd love to meet and chat with you, okay?) Cheers! G

I love how Oasis always brings new enthusiasts to TC...Welcome to all the newbies.

Great film & save Josh. :)

On 2002-03-26 11:49, TikiMama wrote:
Was Aelfgifu, now TikiMama, still Heather. :)

Hey everybody brand new to Tiki central,Everything Tiki It dont get better than this!!! NOMADTIKI

[ Edited by: NOMADTIKI 2010-08-30 13:24 ]

M
Mauii posted on Mon, Aug 30, 2010 5:33 PM

This is my first post. I am new to this forum but not to Tiki.
My name is Maui and I play guitar in my Surf band here in Denver Colorado, The AquaSonics.
I was at Tiki Oasis 2 weeks ago and at the Modernism show last weekend. I talked with some local Moai, Zulu Magoo and a few others who encouraged me to jump on this page.
I'll be hanging around. Glad to be here!

B

Big welcome to all you nubees out there, Welcome to TC!
Josh, Excellent video and Good'on'ya for saving a giant, wee,bit of tiki!

Whatever it was that brought you guys here I Hope you will take a few minutes to open a new thread and tell us about your Tiki experience. Again Welcome!

JD
Josh D posted on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 7:02 AM

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I just realized that I should have a better screen name. Something a little more Tiki! Unfortunately, I won't be at Tony and Val's shindig next weekend. I'll be trading my grass skirt for some rain gear. I'm heading up to Alaska. Hopefully I'll have some good footage to post. I'm searching for a Tiki bar in Anchorage.

D
Danger posted on Tue, Sep 7, 2010 2:55 AM

Many of you are my friends... I am now "officially" here.
Danger is in the air!

• ELECTRO TIKI MASTER *

*** Its not pretty being easy. - Craig Portman ***

[ Edited by: Danger 2010-09-07 02:56 ]

[ Edited by: Danger 2010-09-07 03:01 ]

[ Edited by: Danger 2010-09-07 03:02 ]

[ Edited by: Danger 2010-09-07 03:05 ]

Hi all, I'm a Tikiphile with a Disney bent in San Diego County.

As a Baby Boomer I remember when there was a talking parrot in front of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, and how it would stop traffic and cause a pile-up at the Adventureland Bridge. (No animatron could do that today, I'd wager.)

We took a teenaged exchange student from Spain to Tiki Oasis X -- she was puzzled but had a good time.

I'm excited that "Tales of the Gold Monkey" is finally out on DVD.

I'm currently looking for a photo of the "NEWS FROM CIVILIZATION" sign at Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort in the '70s and '80s.

Blessings to all.

We climb the highest mountains,
just to get a better view.

[ Edited by: OrangeFlash 2010-09-07 12:39 ]

Aloha! I am new here but not new to tiki by any means. I have been to this site many times but didn't realize there was a forum! Must lay off the rum - can't read.
Anyway - I compose tiki music and have a tiki bar at home. I am glad to be here!

Hi there at TC,
Over the weekend I thought about an introductory note but it's as simple as that: My preference for 50s and 60s design and living paired with a yearning for the South Pacific myth inevitably have led to become a tikiphile. With the membership in TC and a recent subscription to Tiki Magazine I openly confess to it!... Also I hope now to gather all current development(s) in Polynesian Pop better - especially those that are taking place in Europe.
After my first trip to Hawaii in 2008 I started to become obsessed with the idea to open up a Hawaiian cultural center (offering hula and ukulele courses, surf band gigs, tiki mugs swap meets etc.) in my hometown of Frankfurt/Main in Germany. But if you knew this city you can imagine it's only a crackpot idea!
Finally, please forgive me if I am not posting a lot and be rather a passionate but passive member of TC (which is by the way the first forum ever I am registered to!).
Aloha and all the best,
Andrea

J

Hi, I found the Tikiroom site after looking for information on the Mauna Loa restaurant in old Detroit. I love the interest in Tiki mood and design. Reminds me of old Martin Denny records. Thanks for having me. I'm going to make a mention of the Mauna Loa on that topics message string. I grew up in Livonia Michigan in the 60's, so I remember the Mauna Loa name and its mystique.

John Otak

G

I've been looking on TikiCentral for a while now. I finally decided to join, after I gave carving tikis a try. Here are my first 2 trys at tiki carving. I used a soldering iron torch for the burnt look. I also used solder for in the eyes and earrings.

Been reading TC for years. Just completed some refurbs on our constantly evolving tiki room/sunroom at home. Four weeks ago had our first tiki sad story: someone stole our Florida carved 3' tiki totem in front of our house here in Oklahoma in a garden. Very into exotica music and classic tiki culture. Visited the Caliente Tropics in early August and got the grand tour from the owner. Amazing stuff there. Hoping to attend one of the big tiki events in 2011 for the first time. Love Disney Tiki, Shag, Heather Watts, Thor and have a few signed prints. Avid readers of Tiki Magazine and appreciate all those guys do. Always searching for good tiki stuff in antique and vintage stores. Weiner dog's name: she is Tiki Ali'i, the Island Weiner Dog. Currently planning a 10 day trip to the Big Island next year and can't wait to check out the new tiki bar there: Okolemaluna. Gearing up for our favorite holiday: Halloween.

Glad we finally decided to "join the tiki party".

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Sep 27, 2010 1:22 PM

Bienvenidos a la central tiki!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Sep 27, 2010 4:55 PM

On 2010-09-09 02:17, An-tiki-drea wrote:
Hi there at TC,
Over the weekend I thought about an introductory note but it's as simple as that: My preference for 50s and 60s design and living paired with a yearning for the South Pacific myth inevitably have led to become a tikiphile. With the membership in TC and a recent subscription to Tiki Magazine I openly confess to it!... Also I hope now to gather all current development(s) in Polynesian Pop better - especially those that are taking place in Europe.
After my first trip to Hawaii in 2008 I started to become obsessed with the idea to open up a Hawaiian cultural center (offering hula and ukulele courses, surf band gigs, tiki mugs swap meets etc.) in my hometown of Frankfurt/Main in Germany. But if you knew this city you can imagine it's only a crackpot idea!
Finally, please forgive me if I am not posting a lot and be rather a passionate but passive member of TC (which is by the way the first forum ever I am registered to!).
Aloha and all the best,
Andrea

Cool. Welcome An-tiki-drea! and count with me for your euro tiki projects. I am an expert on the Spanish branch.
And PLEASE post passionately! Tiki needs you!

M

Hey tiki folk,

I have less than 100 posts---pretty sure that still makes me a noob---so I guess I'll finally take the opportunity to introduce myself. I discovered Tiki Central while searching for info about Shag's Disneyland Haunted Mansion art/merch last year. I've been a longtime Shag fan, and I think that just naturally segued into a love for tiki.

I have a blog (who doesn't, right?) called Tiki Chick where I've been chronicling my tiki adventures and trying to help my friends/family understand what I've become obsessed with.

Fun fact: I came up with my TC name on the fly, later discovering (after watching "The Mighty Uke") that Uni & Her Ukelele has a song/video named "Mahalo Maui Rose."

Hawaiian Beverage Museum

Aloha!

I have been collecting beer, soda, liquor and juice items from Hawaii since the early 1970's, acquiring Primo and Royal beers, Okolehao bottles and other vintage beverage items. My website is http://www.beercan.com. I am glad to be a new member here and will take some time in the future to post images from my collection that fellow tiki aficionados may find interesting.

Okole Maluna

P

Hello all. Have stalked here for a while but am ready to make myself known. Name is Rob and I live near Houston Texas. Growing up in Anaheim CA exposed me to a lot of cool things such as the Tiki style and Googie architecture, as well as, all the neat things that too many days at Disneyland can show you. My recent interest started with SHAG, PIZZ and some found tiki mugs at a yard sale. From that point I've been hooked. Unfortunately there is nothing remotely tiki where I live, however, I'm open to travel and recently my girlfriend and I visited Don the Beachcomber in Huntington Beach. I hope I can meet some other people in the Houston and greater Texas area.

NO

Hi everyone. I used to collect mugs, but now am mainly interested in older South Pacific artifacts like clubs, spears, shields, arrows, masks, and figures. I'm always open to trade for older carvings, and sometimes I run across vintage Tiki pieces that others may want.

[ Edited by: Nifo Oti 2010-10-20 10:40 ]

Howdy!

Used to be a regular at Tiki Ti back when I lived in the neighborhood.

Lately I've been diggin' Don's. Tasty drinks, snacks and groovy tunes!

Still make it out to Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut and Bahooka here and there.

Stopping by to wish a warm welcome to all the newbies. Remind me to never make Nifo Oti mad at me or else improve on my dodging skills. :)

O

http://saverapanui.org/benefit.html (Easter Island)

I was just introduced to this site by those who attended the Tikifarm 10th anniversary. Billy from La Luz de Jesus gallery was generous to allow me to solicit information about an upcoming benefit that will put some international attention on the current rapanui struggle to re-settle their homeland on rapanui (easter island). The rapanui people are an endangered people and Chile has a reputation for political kidnappings and disappearances. We want to ensure that this struggle is peaceful and without incident.

please go to link for more info.

De plane! De plane!
Good morning Boss.
Good morning Tatoo.
Smiles, everyone, smiles!
Welcome! Welcome to Fantasy Island!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies