Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

LL

Aloha everyone. My name is Stephanie AKA (LAVA LIPS):D
I have been a lurker for quite some time now. I am so excited to be part of this community, and i hope to learn more about Polynesian art and culture as well as Tiki culture as a whole.
....LAVA LIPS

Hey what's up? If you have been to my Tiki shop let me know. Gulf Breeze Florida Juniper wood Tikis.
Check out my online store.
http://mycargoship.ipage.com/store/index.html

Aloha from Oshawa, ON, Canada.

We have been selling Hawaiian BBQ Skewers at various street events so I built a portable Tiki Bar. I am currently in the process if building a new Tiki bar and will post pics when I get a chance. Here's the setup we had last summer.

Rico, you must be doing something right - look at that line!

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou to everyone. New to the group. I'm a Hawaii born guy currently living in Arizona who loves everything Hawaiian and Polynesian even the lovably kitschy tiki culture that some back home find silly. Just thought I'd join up and introduce myself since I'm loving the forum and wanted to add some of my own posts about bringing some of my flavors from home to the desert. Hope to have some fun conversations and meet some interesting people on here!

~~Larry

RB

Hey, just checking in.

From Tasmania, Australia and feeling the vibe you guys are on.

Have been a bartender most of my life and love Tiki drinks, although I only really get to make them at home (not a bad thing!!).

Just ordered some Tiki mugs to grace my kitchen. Looking forward to partaking from them!!!

Some of the home bars here are crazy!!!!!! Anyway will try and contribute from time to time.

Welcome everyone!!!! Merry Christmas!

Welcome to all the newbies. Hope you are having a Happy Holiday season.
Wishing you a very wonderful Tiki 2012. :tiki:

Hello Everyone!

I've posted a few things since joining, but haven't done this yet, so I'll take this opportunity as I know a proper introduction in important.

My name is George, I'm fortunate enough to live in Oakland CA (I love this town!), and I've been into tiki for about 8 years. It all started with a flea market find, the Trader Vic's Suffering Bastard mugs, bought them for a $1 each, and the urban archeology began (that same seller had the decanter as well, but I didn't buy it...).

My girlfriend and I, whom I call Face (hence my screen name, and the name of our bar at home), have since been frequenting the local watering holes that we're so fortunate to have nearby, Forbidden Island, Conga Lounge, and Trader Vic's Emeryville. When we moved to our new place in Oakland in July of this year, we had an extra room, and decided to make it a tiki bar/adventurer's lounge, it's adorned with tropical and ethnic items from all over the work, and will also have up photos of friends and family and art when it's finished.

As I said, I have posted a bit, but will likely lurk more than participate, as I love seeing the contributions and information here. This place is an immense resource as well, I really enjoy it!

Please check out http://www.BeerSavedMyLife.webstarts.com and let please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Well Beersave, while I like a cocktail or two, but I am talking about drinking responsibly
The cold hard facts are Alcohol kills many more people in real life, everyday.

So what is the point of your post.

My site isn't about irresponsible drinking. Its about stories where having a drink could have a good outcome. It's nothing to be too serious about. Life is short and I do believe in drinking responsibly but have fun too.

What does it have to do with Tiki?

Bear

On 2011-12-30 00:01, BeerSave wrote:
My site isn't about irresponsible drinking. Its about stories where having a drink could have a good outcome. It's nothing to be too serious about. Life is short and I do believe in drinking responsibly but have fun too.

This one subject I don't joke about, Since it relates directly with the death of my Sister
On your website you mention a story about a construction worker who is drinking on the job
gets involved with an onsite accident, But because he was a bit drunk, It might have saved his life.

What about all the accidents & deaths caused by someone who is drunk when they should not be
and quite possibly your little story about the construction worker might have turned out quite differently, say
the worker might of had the wits about himself to avoid the accident altogether.

This is an issue of personal responsibility, there is a time & place to enjoy a drink, but work,driving a plane, Bus, train or car, controlling heavy machines etc. is not the place to do it, period!

I do not find it entertaining, nor funny to consider otherwise.

The worker in your story obviously had no concern for the safety of anyone else on the job site.
Get my point.

It was this precise lack of personal responsibility that caused the death of my Sister by someone
who should not been behind the wheel of a car.

Sorry to get all serious everyone, but it is this kind of idiot thinking that really chaps my hide
This is why life can be very short for others.

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2011-12-30 11:56 ]

'

Hello all. I registered a couple of years ago but never said hi. I'm writing to you from the veritable tiki wasteland of Maine! I do have a small collection that grows 3-5 pieces a year. I'm lucky in that I have a girlfriend who feeds the habit and who herself likes midcentury glassware, clothing, lighting, furniture and other things. I also collect Gil Elvgren illustrations. I dont have a home bar or anything like that yet, but give us time...we'll get there.

-Ross

Hello -

Been lurking for quite awhile, but finally decided to start the year off by buying Sven's book (used!) and joining Tiki Central. All this started several years ago with a vacation stay at the Beverly Hilton and my first Mai Tai. Wow. Started searching the Internet for a recipe upon getting home (ironically, we had driven right by the Tiki-Ti on the way to a Dodgers game!). This led me to the Beachbum Berry books and then finally to Tiki Central. Growing up in the sixties-seventies, the whole post-war era fascinates me, so much of my TC time has been spent "Locating Tiki". In that vein, I was fortunate to visit the Dallas TV's (the week before they closed!!!) and took the family to the Mai-Kai this past spring break (no Mystery Bowl in front of the kids).

My tiki name is from our recently installed pool-side palapa/bar ("CoCo-Pelli Cove"). The name is a nod to the Southwest, whose food my wife and I love to cook, and the tropical(ish) climates we prefer.

Aloha,

13,000. Welcome netfrtiki and other new members.

Let me suggest a few things...

1/ Read back a few pages on any forum... There's lots to see. The more you read back, the better you'll know.

2/ 'Search' is on the top right above where you log in. Often there are other threads with different material on the subject you are interested in.

3/ Have FUN.

Welcome one and all!

I don't know how new i am... i'm fairly new to tiki. i have a pretty decent mug/shirt collection. i am pretty much a computer geek. and i love mixing juice with alcohol. I'm in a serious relationship and look forward to being married soon. I have attended a couple TC events at Bahooka in Rosemead, Ca. i felt like an outsider... Oh well its nice at least being around tiki people even if everyone is clicked up with their old friends. i'm not one to break the barrier. anyway. i can sing, i can dance, i can act.

J

On 2012-01-11 16:43, Screaming Lord Richie wrote:

...I have attended a couple TC events at Bahooka in Rosemead, Ca. i felt like an outsider... Oh well its nice at least being around tiki people even if everyone is clicked up with their old friends. i'm not one to break the barrier...

Please feel free to "break the barrier" at the next event SL Richie !!

Now we know what you look like. :)

And don't be put off if people "appear" cliquish (because honestly when sober, we really don't even like each other :D).

I think Screaming Lord Richie's observation is correct. That is my sense too, as I attend almost all the SoCal events. I appreciate your extending an open welcome JOHN-O. I'll introduce myself the next time I see you!

My First Post. My First Tiki. .

[ Edited by: Carriemarie 2012-01-13 19:30 ]

Welcome. ARE you Carrie Marie, or do you CARRY a Marie? We don't have many female Tiki carvers around here, the Tiki looks nice.

On 2012-01-11 19:45, JOHN-O wrote:

...I have attended a couple TC events at Bahooka in Rosemead, Ca. i felt like an outsider... Oh well its nice at least being around tiki people even if everyone is clicked up with their old friends. i'm not one to break the barrier...

Please feel free to "break the barrier" at the next event SL Richie !!

Now we know what you look like. :)

And don't be put off if people "appear" cliquish (because honestly when sober, we really don't even like each other :D).

Yeah! What JOHN-O said! I think we might have even said "Hi" at Bahooka.... Break the Barrier!!!

On 2012-01-12 09:26, Carriemarie wrote:
My First Post. I hope I'm posting this correctly. Please forgive me if I'm not. I'm here because I love anything tiki and, after recently carving a tiki statue in a tree stump in my yard, was referred to this site by another tiki lover.

Holy smokes, Carrie Marie,

That's a nice one. You should post on the Creating Tiki: Tiki Carving thread, too, so that the love of TC's carvers, who are amazing, can be extended unto you.

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-01-12 13:04 ]

Howdy. I'm definitely new both to the forums here and to tiki as an interest in general. My possibly strange username is a blending together (with lots of ice, which is in abundance right now where I live) of poutine (in reference to the fact that I live in Ontario, Canada) and, obviously, tiki. I developed an intense interest in all things cocktail almost 2 years ago and did some basic exploring of tiki as an offshoot of that a while back. Now that I feel more comfortable and have my cabinet better equipped to be comfy in the world of cocktails, I want to begin a more deep and respectful journey in tikiland. Anyway, not trying to put anybody to sleep so I'll end this by saying that, other than a pretty nice rum shelf for a prisoner of the LCBO, I don't know much about tiki and don't have much in the way of tiki accessories to share at this point. Looking forward to learning.

Great start to the both of you & welcome!

B

HI Everyone.....

I am kind of a new member from the Sacramento area.... Been lurking for a few months.

I am fairly new to tiki and just getting to know more about it from this forum. Tons of info and looks like a lot of great people here. I hope to meet some of you in person and get to know TIKI.

I have a part time Ebay business selling antiques, gifts, and collectibles. I have had pretty good luck selling new and vintage tiki mugs and other hawaiian related items. I hoping in 2012 that I can open a retail store in the Sacramento area.

I plan on learning how to make mugs and take some ceramic classes this year.

thanks to all!

New (I think) to TC. Aloha to all. 8)

On 2012-01-12 11:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
Welcome. ARE you Carrie Marie, or do you CARRY a Marie? We don't have many female Tiki carvers around here, the Tiki looks nice.

Thanks, Big Bro. I don't know how to post on here. Yeah, that. Marry Carrie.

On 2012-01-12 13:01, Professor G wrote:

On 2012-01-12 09:26, Carriemarie wrote:
My First Post. I hope I'm posting this correctly. Please forgive me if I'm not. I'm here because I love anything tiki and, after recently carving a tiki statue in a tree stump in my yard, was referred to this site by another tiki lover.

Holy smokes, Carrie Marie,

That's a nice one. You should post on the Creating Tiki: Tiki Carving thread, too, so that the love of TC's carvers, who are amazing, can be extended unto you.

Thanks, Professor. I can't figure out how to post. I wound up at your food site. Jeez. Now I'm hungry. Do you deliver to Oceanside?

[ Edited by: Professor G 2012-01-12 13:04 ]

Glad you liked it CarrieMarie. Stop by anytime. I ate my first squid in Oceanside. It was life-changing. I hope you've discovered the carving thread: you won't want to watch television ever again; you'll just keep up with all of the really amazing artists and their work.

Screaming Lord R., Poutineki (that may take some explaining: there are benighted areas that don't know fries and gravy), bavtech, PJAA: nice to meet all of you.

Just wanted to chime in and say Hi to all. Been a lurker here for awhile.

I be new, New to a great site and look forward to discussing Tiki with knowledgeable folks . especially since it's not really on the radar in Tennessee

W

Another newbie to this wonderful site, Always been a fan of Tiki carvings etc & that island lifestyle especially long drinks on the beach or by the pool.8)

Long time reader, fist time poster. Looking for fun gatherings around San Diego area, and advice on improving my home tiki bar.

New to the post and have done everything except introduce myself, Jeff Rich , in Tennessee where Tiki is scarce but much admired by the faithful. Got fired up and took the herd to the Omni Hut in Smyrna for dinner and atmosphere. Now the kids understand the attraction and all have a new mug and appreciation of what makes the "Old Man " happy!

R

Howdy. New Tiki Central member from Denver, CO. Tiki bar in the basement and just came back from Moorea and Bora Bora. Cheers!

Z

Welcome, Rhummbatito, jeffro, wild65, charlie, and tom! Hope you enjoy checking out all of the great ohana discussions out there!
Jeff and ratutom, you might check critiki.com for tiki sites nearby, or keep an eye in the forums for nearby friends! Charlie, the SanDog area is choachablock full of great happenings, including the Tiki Oasis every year. RatuTom, I envy the fact that you have a basement to make your private Oasis..... I just keep stacking stuff in the corner of my apartment!

Again, welcome all!

~ZeroTiki
zerotiki.com

[ Edited by: ZeroTiki 2012-01-20 17:24 ]

Z

i'm not one to break the barrier.

If you ever come across me at an event, by all means come up and say Hi! There ain't no barrier, bra...and you will find that goes for many of the folks you see on here. A love of the Tiki and a sense of the aloha spirit goes a long, long way.
~Zero

Welcome to all the new posters. You've hit the Tiki mecca here. Mariecarie...nice carve.

Hello everyone!

I thihk like a lot of people, I've been scanning this site for cool ideas for my tiki bar, checking out good music, etc.
I live in Perth, West Australia, love to travel..spent some time on some of the further out islands of Fiji with locals ande really got a taste of the island way of life (which no doubt contributes to my love of all things Tiki).
If ever out this way, stop by, I,m always looking for an excuse to try a new cocktail.

On 2012-01-27 14:58, Space Aged Hula Grave wrote:
I thihk like a lot of people, I've been scanning this site for cool ideas for my tiki bar, checking out good music, etc.
I live in Perth, West Australia, love to travel..spent some time on some of the further out islands of Fiji with locals ande really got a taste of the island way of life (which no doubt contributes to my love of all things Tiki).
If ever out this way, stop by, I,m always looking for an excuse to try a new cocktail.

Space Aged- Hey I just might! I've some groceries to pick up, and the library of course, and then Perth! Ha, ha, just being silly. Welcome to Tiki Central! (And the next time yer in Indiana, I'll be happy to make YOU a cocktail.)

J

Which islands ?? Taveuni ??

Bongo - haha..yeh, it's a bit of a drive! Definelty hit you up for a bevvie when (if) in Indidana!
John-O - It was in the Yasawa chain of islands West of the main island. Absoulute paradise..you been?

Hello Fello TIKI people!
I'm new to Tiki Central. Living in Canton, Ohio...from all over the country. Love Tiki, Art, Pop Culture, Classic Cars, Architecture & so on.

I've recently inherited a kiln, glazes, potters wheel & other tools. I want to design some OuttaControlliey Tiki Mugs! Who knows how soon that will be?
But wanted to say HI! & Attached some links of my art NOT TIKI related yet so far, but something to check out.

Any advise or cool links? I'd love to know.
THANKS TIKI CENTRAL FOR THE AWESOME SITE!!!!!

No I'm not a carhop. :) DANG I wasn't wearing my Hawaiian shirt.
ART POST: http://slot7.deviantart.com/
ART POST Gallery: http://slot7.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=72
WORK Classic Cars: http://www.motorcarportfolio.com/about.php

MH

Hey everyone! My name is Michelle (aka: Miss Hell) and I'm from San Diego. And I feel like I should be sitting in an AA meeting. JK JK Sorta. I am Derek Mitchell's girlfriend (like his original name? Ha). I'm not new to the tiki culture, but finally getting into it more, thanks to the ol' man. I plan on going with him on the SD home tiki bar crawl next month and I will definitely see you at Tiki Oasis, as its right here in my backyard (I'm actually sitting inside the Crowne Plaza restaurant as I type this). I'm sure I'll ask lots of annoying questions or try to win you all over with my charming wit. But in all honesty, I look forward to seeing all those gorgeous rooms/bars/etc. Spanks for havin' me!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies