Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Aloha Everyone!

I'm new to the site and already in love with it. It's wonderful to see so many people share a passion for all things tiki.

I'm in California ... Monterey Bay area.

Alooooooha Amy!

Nice of you to join us!
I see that you are in Munktiki's area. Have you been there or purchased any of their mugs? Very nice people there, so you may want to ask for a tour while in their area. By the way, there is a tiki bar just down the street from them that unfortunately myself, PolynesianPop, HulaHula, Florentina and TraderPup didn't have a chance to checkout while we were there in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area. Ask Stucky at Munktiki for directions if you do go to visit them. We'd all love a report and pictures if possible.

Speaking of pictures, don't forget to add your picture to the "Member Portraits if you like!

SugarCaddyDaddy

Welcome CruzinTiki! Yes, you definitely have to hook up with Stuckie at Munktiki. He's one of our in-house tiki mug manufactures and does stupendous work.

Nice to have you on board. :)

Thank for the tip guys! I just checked out the Munktiki website and DROOLED. Great stuff!

I'm going to have to plan a trip down to Pacific Grove ASAP. I'll be sure to take the digital camera along and post some pics.

Thanks again!

M

I'm not new I just didn't post for a year lol

KD

Ia Orana, Bula!

I have been lurking on this board for months now, I love all things Polynesian, Tiki, and Oceanic. My wife and try and travel the South Pacific at least every year or two. My grandfather was very Tiki, my earliest memories were dragging him out of Tiki/suedo Tiki Chinese bars, I never remember him without a Hawaiian short! My parents took me to Hawaii in the late 60's, I have never been without a a Hawaiian shirt since then! :wink:

I hope you don't all mind an old fart Tiki freak hanging out here, my taste are more South Pacific then shag, but I LOVE the Tiki drinks! :)

When I was 18 I puked Blue Hawaiians for 2 days when the drinking age was 18 in Hawaii, still can't get one down. I hope to meet some more of you at the crawls in the future, I'm in Nor Cal, but make it to So Cal several times a year.

Mauruuru,

Manuia! Nana!

Dan

[ Edited by: Kava Dan on 2003-04-18 20:12 ]

Aloha Kava Dan!

I see you're a landscaper. Any good info to add to this thread?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3358&forum=1&13

Exactly how old a fart are you?

KD

On 2003-04-18 20:31, purple jade wrote:
Aloha Kava Dan!

I see you're a landscaper. Any good info to add to this thread?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3358&forum=1&13

Exactly how old a fart are you?

Mahalo, for the welcome, purple jade!

I read the thread on landscaping, palms are great, but slooow to grow, I'll comment when i get some more information from the poster, there is a BIG difference from inland Orange County and coast line!!! :wink:

How old am I?!? I fart lava dust, or.... in mainland terms, 44!!! :o

[ Edited by: Kava Dan on 2003-04-18 21:17 ]

Oh, pee-shaw, BigBroTiki's fartier than you then!
(um...love and kisses, Sven. :roll: )

KD

On 2003-04-18 21:24, purple jade wrote:
Oh, pee-shaw, BigBroTiki's fartier than you then!
(um...love and kisses, Sven. :roll: )

In a contest of flatulation, I will go against the best, including the great Sven, given enough pupu platter! :wink:

Nana!

Dan

Aloha,

I am a relatatively new member to this board and can not get enough of Konakai.com.

I became enamoured with all things tiki after vacationing last year at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel in Maui,
which has an enourmous, 12 ft. tall
(Hawaiian style) tiki on the lanai.

Since then, I have come back home
(to the Village Green condos in LA)
and redocarated, with some help from
The House of Tiki in Costa Mesa.

I have also attempted to create a
tiki garden, like Humphrey's in
San Diego, by planting banana trees,
large bird of paradise,water features and, of course, tiki and moai statutes.

I also pay frequent homage to the gods
at Purple Orchid, Trader Vics and
The Tiki Room (Tahiti).

Mahalo.

Welcome to the Jungle JTD, KavaDan, CruzinTiki and ChrisTiki295.

I thought that I should join, since so many of my searches for all that is Tiki lead me here. I dig the Tiki Lifestyle, I would say that I'm more toes in the sand than a$$ in a lounge. There aren't any lonuges in Santa Barbara anyway! I am working on collecting things for my ocean room that will one day become a killer Tiki Bar!

Mahalo

Brent

Kreaky Tiki:

I've never been, but would Chuck's of Hawaii on State qualify as a tiki lounge?

If I recall, when I drove by last year, there were tiki torches burning outside.
Happy Easter.

Welcome to TC KreakyTiki. Yes, toes in the sand and sea likes me too. I love Santa Barbara. We had considered moving there from O.C. but once again real estate is out of this world. It's a beautiful city, no wonder. Put your loincloth on and join the natives.

Kava Dean, christiki295, KreakyTiki Welcome to the Tribe! Hope to see you all at the next big TC gathering.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-20 22:46 ]

Hello Tiki Central. I am a new member and I am very excited to talk with other tiki fiends.
My family is tiki crazy.

Hello Cheeky Tiki Lady and welcome to TC. Yes there are native Phoenicians in the jungle here. Hopefully they'll show themselves to you. Check the Tiki Events page.

K

...and I thought I was the only one who collected tiki mugs! Actually my whole house is done in a style best described as danish modern tiki lounge voodoo alter. I understand pure tiki but am not afraid to mix in anything complimentary. Buffet is not my bag but I have some close parrot-head friends, I don't get it, but it's a free country. Buffet is air-brushed and tiki is carved. I don't even think Buffet is tiki complimentary but that's just my opinion. I enjoy bossa nova and don't feel it clashes with the tiki feel of my home. But I realize it is not tiki. How do other tiki people feel about bossa nova? I would recommend the 1958 Brazilian movie "Black Orpheus" as the ultimate bossa nova intro. It makes me as happy as a 50 cent Goodwill tiki mug. Can anyone recommend a good tiki movie? I don't think I've ever seen one. If anyone has run across any good tiki noir (film or novel) I would love to know where to find it.

Aloha folks. On behalf of Poly Pop and Bong, I welcome you to this crezy crezy family.

Aloha cheeky tiki lady and kctiki. Welcome to the tribe!

Cheeky Tiki Lady, like ChikiTiki said, we're a crazy family here at TC too. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

KCTiki, right on bro! I don't think Buffet is tiki complimentary either.

BTW - Watch out for that Bong fellow....

Hello there...I just stumbled in here, looking for a coaster to rest my Head Hunter mug upon. Ouch! Stubbed my toe on a fallen tiki. Hmmm...better pick that up and dust him off. The gods get angry when they are ignored.

Hey...I like the decor in here. Think I'll stick around and talk story. Waitress, another round, please.

Hey KreakyTiki, can I borrow your name in about 40 years?

Sqwuaker, welcome to the tribe. Noticed you're from OC. Hope to see you at the next So Cal TC event!

Thanks!

I'd like to be going to the big Tiki Oasis get-together at the Caliente at Palm Springs in May, but my writing duties over at the magazine I work for has me tied up. Not only that, my vacation funds are commited to a trip to the Big Easy shortly afterwards. I'll be hanging out in the French Quarter.

Hey, does anybody know of a tiki bar around there? Margaritaville doesn't really count (even though I'm a Parrot Head).

[ Edited by: Squawker on 2003-04-23 11:51 ]

We put the "Fun" in Dysfunctional!

Hiya Tiki Fans,
Longtime reader, firsttime member of Tiki Central! Very happy to be here. My name is Pete Janzen and my wife Mary and I were at the Mondo Tiki event, also on the Neon Tour. We had a superb experience and it were pleased as rum punch to meet and hang out with so many beautiful tiki people. Truly the most friendly and welcoming group of mid-century culture people I have run into and we hope we can be invited back! If not we will just crash your parties! Just joshin' but thanks again for making our Vegas weekend so boss, we look forward to more tiki partying!

Larry Lava,
Aloha and Welcome to the Tribe! Hey, I guess I missed you at Mondo. Which one were you? Maybe we can meet at the next event. Are you going to Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs? I'll be the guy in the Hawaiian Shirt :lol: (...I know, old joke but I couldn't resist).

Poly-Pop,
I was wearing a light straw fedora with an abstract square band and my wife Mary Lava was in a full-length red Hawaiian dress. We were in the Cove bar after the neon tour too. We met quite a few people but we probably blended with Scorpion bowls and Mai Tais. Maybe next time. We unfortunately cannot go to the Oasis, bad weekend. We are trying to work out Hukilau possibilities! That would be superb! Thanks for including us again!

Please, pass the poi!

[ Edited by: Larry Lava on 2003-04-24 22:52 ]

A

Hey Pete -
Naomi and I (short Japanese shutterbug with tall kook) met you on the Vegas tour. Welcome to TC. Next time there's a bay area event, remember, Fresno's just a mere 3 hours from SF!

-Randy

Hi Randy,
It was great to meet you and Naomi! I wish we could have talked more, you two seemed very cool. Tiki contacts are virtually non-existant round the central valley. Plus I wish I woulda taken more pics of the sites on that tour especially now that we are back in the Fresno wasteland. I hope we can make it more events, especially around the bay. My wife works on weekends which makes it hard to clear out of here but sometimes it can work. Thanks for the invite!
-Pete

T

Aloha everyone! I'm from Oahu, Hawaii, and new to the site. If you are currently in Hawaii, please come to our Tiki Lounge Five-O, featuring Mr. Martin Denny! Check out tikiloungefive-o.com for more details! Mahalo nui loa for keeping this site up, it's wonderful!

Tiki Neko, welcome to the tribe. Nice to have another Hawaiian Centralite. You've got a neighbor by the name of Gecko out there. He's a regular here at TC.

Squawker, there's the Royal Hawiian in Laguna, Billy's by the Beach in Newport, a good bar at Duke's in Huntington, and the king of them all; Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach.

Try the Lapu at RH, the Navy Grog at Billy's, and the Tiki Central at Billy's.

For those of you who don't already know...I got layed off about 3 weeks ago and have decided to try to strike out on my own, doing what I love...tiki! Check out my stuff and let me know what you think. Maybe even buy some. I'm no Johhny come lately trying to get rich of this stuff either. I'm doing it because I love it and see a real need for my products in the market. I'm interested in your comments and thoughts. Peace everybody!

Mahalo
http://www.tikiclocks.com

Tik Tok Tikis, Aloha and Welcome to the tribe. I saw your stuff at Mondo Tiki - very cool!

Aloha, blowtiki here, Long Beach local always on the prowl for tiki archeological digs and a few tropical drinks in between. I went to the Shag pool party @ the Hard Rock, that's how I found out about this sight. It's awesome, I've already spent a couple of hours reading post and I hope to submit a few myself.

Blowtiki, Aloha and Welcome to the Tribe. You've got a neighbor by the name of TraderPup out there in the LBC. Glad to have you on board. Are you going to Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs next week?

E
Erika posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2003 1:19 PM

Aloha, everybody! And greetings from New Jersey. I'm a longtime tiki fan, but just joined Tiki Central a few days ago. I had been feeling tiki-deprived, so it's been a delight to read through the discussions.

I'm interested in all facets of tikidom, though I guess I'd say my favorite tiki topics are collecting and tiki decor. I have just a tiny collection--since giving almost all my mugs away when I moved across the country a few years ago. (I did just find three Kahiki No. 1 mugs earlier this month at a thrift shop--priced at three for a dollar. Maybe there's some hope for regrowing my collection!) As far as decor . . . no room for a tiki lounge at home yet, sadly, so I'm just thinking of the future. At least there's plenty of time to try building a replica blowfish out of tissue paper. . . .

Erika
(eremmy)

eremmy, Aloha and Welcome to the Tribe. Lots' of Tiki Geeky Collectors here. Just wait till we start talking "trekkie" about the stuff.

Nice to have you on board. If you feel like giving away more mugs, I can be reached at [email protected] :D

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-28 14:23 ]

Welcome eremmy. I'd be glad to hold your mugs for you also.

B

Thanks for the welcome, Poly Pop. No, I won't be going to Palm Springs this weekend. I'm still recovering from Vegas! But I want to make a little vacation get away to that Caliente Tropics some weekend.

Welcome to all the new members! Eremmy, have you been to the new Kona Kai in Philly yet? It's pretty good.

E
Erika posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2003 1:46 PM

On 2003-04-29 18:35, TikiGoddess wrote:
Welcome to all the new members! Eremmy, have you been to the new Kona Kai in Philly yet? It's pretty good.

No Kona Kai expedition yet, but I did read TikiGoddess's report and then studied the restaurant's location on a Philly map (Red Lion Rd. and Roosevelt Blvd.). . . so once I have some spending money, I'll definitely go check it out.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

Aloha, Tiki Centralites.

I'm posting from sunny (well, for the next four months) Columbus, OH. Beginning in early childhood, my frequent visits to The Kahiki sparked my interest in all things Tiki. Shortly after the aforementioned supper club closed its doors for good in 2000, I began to exhibit severe withdrawal symptoms. This prompted me to research exotic mixology, music, and decor. Almost three years, and countless bottles of rum later, I can mix a pretty mean Mai Tai, Zombie, Headhunter, Suffering Bastard, etc. I'm in the process of turning my basement in to a Tiki Bar (pictures are forthcoming), and after I read the entire "Carving Post" thread, I'll probably try my hand at rudimentary Tiki carving.

I'm thrilled to have stumbled across this online community, and I look forward to conversing with you all.

Cheers,

Cowtown Kahuna

K

hi

my introduction to tiki was from a t shirt made by Town and Country...they had all kinds of cartoon icons...gorillas...tikis...beachbums.etc...i drew those things over and over....

then after college i found the tiki ti which is the best way to fan the flames of pure relaxation on friday evening...that place is truely like NO OTHER...

http://www.kooch-e-koo.com/GALLERY/HTML/islandlounge.html

I can't help but be a little tickled...Miles Thompson introducing himself to US!

I love your stuff, Miles.
(gawd, I'm such a groupie...)

Cowtown Kahuna, Aloha and Welcome to Tiki Central! Glad to have another tiki geek on board. Sucks about the Kahiki doesn't it? I'll never shop at Walgreen's - EVER.

Kooche, Aloha to you as well. I love your work, by the way. Anything new coming down the pipe?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies