Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Hello Everyone! I've been converting my backyard into a Tiki retreat. My wife and I went to the Bali Hai in San Diego to have Mai Tais before Tiki shopping and we wound up purchasing "The Goof" & Mr. Bali Hai mugs. That sparked us to start a mug collection. Now, we are trying to play catch up from the places that we've been, but didn't get a mug. I'm here to try to fill in our collection from Trader Vic's (Los Angeles), Tiki Ti, Trader Sam's, Disneyland, Mister Tiki to name a few... Thanks for your help!!!

On 2012-03-17 00:51, Slap Happy Swingster wrote:
OK, It's taken me far too long to get signed up here! Hey all, I'm Christian, the bass player for the Hula Girls. I already know many of you from the various events, but look forward to meeting more of you. We'll see ya soon!

Cheers!
Christian

Hells Yes! good to have you, Buddy!

Hello all. This is King Paris coming to you from the island of Molokini. I, along with my band and dancers, will be appearing for the very first time this summer at Tiki Oasis in San Diego. You can view a shot of us in the current April issue of "Guitar Player" magazine on pages 22 and 23, and also visit us at http://www.kingparis.com where there are also links to my Youtube channel. Please drop me a line sometime!

Welcome to Tiki Central King Paris. Great videos, should be an interesting show! Ave Maria is hauntingly beautiful, I'm not sure it would be fully appreciated by the heathens at Tiki Oasis! :lol:

Hola from Rosarito Mexico!We are opening a Tiki Bar and Grill down here and hope to start the remodel on a ocean front property in the next couple weeks. Very excited about finding Tiki Central we need all the help we can get :)

T

Hola Jarvis, I am excited to hear that you are opening a Tiki Bar in Rosarito. I have a beach house in Ensenada and would love to have a new place to stop by and have a drink after crossing the border. When making your drink menu, please consider the vintage Trader Vic's or Don the Beachcomber Mai Tai recipe using fresh Limes. Mexico has excellent limes that I use when making a Mai Tai or two. Of course I use the Cuban rums. Keep us posted regarding the opening of your bar.
My brother and our wives would love if you join us in a sunset Mai Tai. Here is a picture of our Mai Tai Sunset from our front yard.

[ Edited by: tikivato 2012-03-31 08:34 ]

M
m&m posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2012 11:13 PM

Cool to see Tiki Central. So much tiki in one place. We are just starting to go tiki at our cottage. So far we have EL-wire Tiki, faux palm trees and a community fire pit.

[ Edited by: m&m 2012-04-12 23:14 ]

Hello! I just registered today and am looking forward to diving into Tiki Central. I am new to collecting Tiki, but am a 25+ year collector of '60s garage, freakbeat and Aussie beat 45s. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

Shout out to all the new posters and looking forward to seeing King Paris at Oasis!!!

For as long as I've been around on browsing through the internet, I've never posted in a forum... SO... with that, I hope I'm posting in the right spot. If not, I apologize in advance and I'll have to find my way around learning HOW to post as opposed to WHERE. Anyways, with that ballyhoo out of the way...

ALOHA! I'm Kurt and new to Tiki Central. I am excited to be a new member and hope to join into the conversation and contribute to all things tiki.

I found this place through konakai.com and was happy to actually find a link that is current. I hope the owners of konakai.com will up date their links (if not I know of a volunteer [me] who would be willing to update the links).

hello all I am john. I have been a lurker for a while. I attened by first Tiki event this past weekend at Mojave Oasis . What a great group of people. Everyone made me feel like I have been a friend for years.Iam looking forward to meeting more people and learning more about the Tiki life.

John Webber

Long time Lurker. Just got back from our 3rd Hukilau. My wife and I love it. We love the Mai Kai and we love the culture. Having always loved all things retro. Watching Disney channel as a kid in the 80s (when the cable remote was literally a box on a cable with switches!!) the only programming they had was old Disney reruns of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, Zorro, Micky Mouse Club (with Annette of course), and every old cartoon you could shake a stick at. I have a fondness of that time. Also having gone to Disney almost every year of my youth, I still remember the kitschy Florida spots as a kid, Weeki Wachee, the old Cypress Gardens, spook kill, gatorland, and in Miami the old Parrot Jungle, etc. I loved that stuff. Long story short, I love retro nostalgia of the 50-60s.

Have met some great people in person during the Hukilau's and hope to meet more now that I finally decided on a username.

The username originates from Guayabera. I was born in the states but raised by Cuban parents, in particular my grandparents. Love to discover old Cuban hits of mambo, and vibes of the time.

Wish I would have discovered tiki culture earlier. Miami is not a great place for independent minded people. Specially not like California.

Great to meet you all!!

Gianni AKA GuayaTiki

[ Edited by: GuayaTiki 2012-04-25 17:10 ]

Bienvenidos!

man, i've always wanted a cool guayabera like all the cigar shop guys around here...

at least i've got a barong...

Hi all, thought I should post here to say hi before posting elsewhere. I'm from Sydney Australia and have been clolleting Tiki's for a while but really started getting into it when I came across a copy of Tiki Magazine in Melbourne. I had no idea there was a whole range of things involved in Tiki collecting so I have broadened my search and have been collecting some cool stuff to add to my bar. My bar is only small but hope to one day have one as nice as some of the home bars ive checked out, big props to you all, they are awsome.
Thanks, Bevan

Hello every one i have been digging on the tiki scene for awhile. I fancy my self an artist, but don't like what i do and just got in to carving and by just got i have one chisel and a hammer and a recently broken chainsaw :( but love whats going on on the site can't wait to be inspired and maybe inspire some one else .

Hey folks. I ended up with a tiki themed home theater in my basement, almost by accident, then I started buying mugs, and it's all downhill from there. I like old cars, movies, rum, and fruity rum drinks, so this place is alright with me.

Hello all... have cruised through this site before, love the pictures of all the great home Tiki Bars and Yards. I got here via a pirate wedding (mine) and a love of Disney's Tiki Room. The Pirate wedding lead me to rum, the rum lead me to rum cocktails, the Tiki Room lead me to Tiki design. We're hoping to purchase our first home soon, and my desire is to have a Tiki Oasis of my own soon. So I'm here for inspiration. Thanks for having such a great place to be inspired by.

B

Aloha,
Ok, so I cheated a bit and posted in a few forums before writing my "Hello I am New post," for shame, for shame. I have been so excited over the entire goings on in the SoCal area and forgot my manners for a bit! However, if we just mix another fabulous cocktail I am sure we shall overcome this misstep of mine and live another day.
A recent transplant from Chicago, IL to SoCal, I have gained a greater appreciation of Tiki. As it turns out I was a HUGE fan of Chef Shangri-La, located in the burbs of Chicago. I didn’t realize it at the time but it is totally Tiki! It is there I found a love of the mighty rum god and the decor. Who knew that thatching could find a warm spot in one’s heart?
Moving to SoCal has allowed for the deeply hidden Tiki lover to come bursting out! So, with Hurricane in one hand and something that person over there is making that I am sure to love because of the signature umbrella in it in the other hand, I have plunged into the ever so wonderful delight. My favorite thing is that really you can’t have too much when decorating - though I still have to be reminded of all the time.
Mahalo, Kim

Aloha!
I'm a food historian who teaches a class called "50 Years of American Food" at Osher/UCLA Extension and is interested in tiki restaurants and cuisine. I met several people who post on this board at the "History of Tiki" event with Charles Perry, and it reminded me that I have meant to join this site for a while. If there are any members who have menus or pictures from Tiki Kai, Beachbum Burt's, and the Polynesian on the Pier, I'd love to see them. I remember dining at all three, though I was too young to drink at the time and therefore had no chance to try anything from the bar. I am working on a history of dining in the South Bay and would also like to have any personal reminiscences of tiki establishments in the Beach Cities.
Those who are interested in rum may like to take a look at rumhistory.com, my site all about, what else, the history of rum. It is a new thing without many posts right now, but I am updating it frequently with rum memorabilia and text that arrived too late for my book on the subject. (Out this week from Reaktion Books.)

Looking forward to spending some time here...
Richard Foss aka RumFicionado

Welcome to all the new TC members. I love the enthuiasm and hope to meet some of you at Tiki Oasis this year.

Well I thought I would post something on this thread since I joined not to long ago. My name is Steven Huffman and I live in Pismo Beach, CA. Thinking back on what first got me into tiki was at a young age. I was born in 1981 and from what I learned that tiki hit a falling point in the 80's. About 88-89 I was introduced to a movie called "Back to the Beach" by the family. That movie fascinated me as a young kid with its surf-tiki vibe. I loved it and is still one of my favorits today. So that stuck with me and then my true discovery of tiki came at about 2009-10. Even though the tiki revival came way before then and tiki is not big on the central coast, I just started seeing tiki everywhere when I payed visit to southern ca, orange county where my friend lives. He loves pinstriping and knew Doug Dorr. For those who know Doug, He's a tiki fanatic. So going to car shows such as Mooneyes in Irwindale, there is the tiki broker that vends there. So my interest was peeked. I started buying tiki stuff. Bought my first tiki in Huntington Beach and I own art and tikis from those mentioned above along with a whole bunch of other artists. Those are mentioned in my Forgotten tiki room thread. So my collection has grown ever since then ans I show no signs of stopping. I love this culture and the people surrounding it in every aspect. :D

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-05-04 20:21 ]

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-05-06 21:35 ]

M

Hi all ... I stumbled on this site last week while researching some ideas for a tiki I'm having commissioned. Love it here, great community and great ideas!

I've been lurking around for months now - but I'd just like to say Hi! My hubby and I are trying to make it to Tiki Oasis this year - so hope to meet some of you there. We live in the Phoenix AZ area. We got hooked on tiki on our honeymoon - we happened to go to Frankie's in Vegas on the morning of the day we were going home... 1 drink and 10 mugs later - we're addicts! We love treasure hunting for tiki (and other cool stuff), coming up with new things to drink and redecorating to find room for our growing mug collection.

Welcome everyone! Its tiki time...

[ Edited by: reptarlazer 2012-12-12 03:05 ]

Another longtime lurker here.

Hi everybody! See you at Tiki Oasis? :D

T

Oops, I think I posted my introduction in the wrong place. Here I am!

I'm Tapatiki, from Texas but am living in Guadalajara Mexico now. Beautiful place, not tropical but plenty of palm and bamboo, and Cuban rum. I'm building my oasis on the roof top, here they call it "Acapulco en la azotea", because we all don't have time to make it to the beach when a getaway is necessary.

All of your pics and storys have been entertaining and inspirational. Thank you to everyone for the great content and we'll be seeing each other,

Hello! New Tiki Central member checking in! Live in San Diego with my fella in our little mid-century atomic rambler...long time fans of vintage hawaiiana and tiki culture! Looking forward to another great Tiki Oasis in August!!!

MW

New member sending a hello! In the Milwaukee Wisconsin Area, repping the TIKI life in the frozen tundra. Irony?

Hello all:
I'm a tropical island girl who now lives in NYC. I'm lucky enough to live a block away from one of the tiki bars in the city. I'm a fashion designer by training and am now dabbling once again in accessory design. Have always loved Mid Century Modern design, fashions and music. I have visited the site plenty of times, but hadn't actually joined till today.

Check out some of my tiki inspired items.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AlphabetCityVintage?ref=si_shop

B

shout out...Bagoomba here!!! site looks great . in Central Pa, getting some great ideas on here.

Hey, I am new to Tiki Central as well. I am in San Diego and I am also looking forward to Tiki Oasis.

My brother lives in Hwood, so I frequent Tiki Ti and I just got back from a tiki bar tour of the big island and Oahu. My wife and I are working on turning our garage into a tiki bar. I have been making up drinks now for awhile. Planning a SoCal tiki tour as well.

See ya at the Oasis!

B

Hey Guys!

Bigtikidude on surfguitar101.com said i should join up over here, ill be posting my tiki paintings in the gallery eventually

im a Graphic Designer/ Illustrator by trade and i live in the San Diego area

Hi everyone
I live in Long Beach in an atomic Rancho -- love all things mid-century, be it modern, kitsch, or tiki! Just had a great time at Tiki Caliente, and am looking forward to being part of TC.

Alooooha! Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Some may know me and others might be new friends. My husband is Jason Lee. We live in San Diego, CA. I drive a 1964 light pistachio green and pearl white Thunderbird. I am an artist and vintage clothing collector. I am attempting to learn lap steel currently and have been interested in 40s-60's Hawaiiana since I bought one of my first Orchids of Hawaii mugs in the late 1990's. Always stoked on meeting others who share similar interests. There is always something new to be learned!

Hey there! New to Tiki Central but excited to join. Bar owner and Tiki enthusiast. Avid mug collector as well.
Im spending a day in San Diego next week and was hoping to be pointed to some must see Tiki places.

Welcome to TC Bewbajewb. Probably the most "tiki concentrated" area in San Diego would be Shelter Island with the Bali Hai Restaurant, Humphrey's Half Moon hotel, and Trader Mort's liquor store. There are a few remnants of tiki glory at the Red Lion Inn in Hotel Circle (formerly known as the Hanalei), site of Tiki Oasis in August. Other tikis are pretty much scattered.

Hey all! Wow really digging the whole vibe here, got sucked in reading posts and forgot to come introduce myself :wink:

I'm originally from San Clemente CA, moved to Las Vegas about 14 years ago. Miss the beach terribly so I spend a lot of time in the pool.
Our house has a hawaiian theme because I have such fond memories of trips to Hawaii thru the years.

Not that long ago my son tells me about this place he went to called "Frankies". He shows me these great tiki mugs he got there.
I was instantly smitten with tiki fever and went on a mission to get my own tiki mugs thinking it would be the perfect whimsical quirky addition to my tropical home decor.

Since then I've started a small collection that sits proudly on my fireplace mantle. I'm picky about colors and like the more traditional look. My son and I try desperately to find tiki places and
tiki type decor in Las Vegas but it's been hard. We found some great items at the Charleston Antique place in a little tiki section that was amazing, but that's pretty much it.

My sons collection of tiki mugs is much larger than mine, I'm so picky, but we share a love of tiki and have fun looking for new places to visit and things to buy.

This Wednesday my son is taking me on my first trip to Frankies! Yay! Seems like I've been waiting forever :wink:

I'm sure anyone from Vegas know where this is...

[ Edited by: beachytikichristine 2012-05-22 04:50 ]

Greetings all. I'm Dave from New Jersey, and my interest in tiki and other things mid-century has gotten to the point where I actually decided to join this site, which I've visited quite a few times before. I'm a fan of a wide range of music, including exotica, surf, lounge, spy jazz, etc. Over the past year or so, I have been busily working at home trying out different tropical drink recipes - I still dig the classic Trader Vic's style Mai Tai the most. Currently, I'm toying with the idea of putting a small tiki bar in on the back patio by the pool ...

Anyway, it's good to be here!

M

On 2012-05-22 04:47, beachytikichristine wrote:
Hey all! Wow really digging the whole vibe here, got sucked in reading posts and forgot to come introduce myself :wink:

I'm originally from San Clemente CA, moved to Las Vegas about 14 years ago. Miss the beach terribly so I spend a lot of time in the pool.
Our house has a hawaiian theme because I have such fond memories of trips to Hawaii thru the years.

I was instantly smitten with tiki fever and went on a mission to get my own tiki mugs.
My sons collection of tiki mugs is much larger than mine, I'm so picky, but we share a love of tiki and have fun looking for new places to visit and things to buy.

This Wednesday my son is taking me on my first trip to Frankies! Yay! Seems like I've been waiting forever :wink:

[ Edited by: beachytikichristine 2012-05-22 04:50 ]

Welcome to Tc!, I have a large selection of tiki mugs for sale here in vegas near the Rio. Let me know when you want to set up an appointment- bruce smiley

On 2012-05-22 19:52, mrsmiley wrote:

Welcome to Tc!, I have a large selection of tiki mugs for sale here in vegas near the Rio. Let me know when you want to set up an appointment- bruce smiley

That would be great, my son said his next day off is tuesday. I'll pm you with my info

On 2012-05-21 19:26, MadDogMike wrote:
Welcome to TC Bewbajewb. There are a few remnants of tiki glory at the Red Lion Inn in Hotel Circle (formerly known as the Hanalei), site of Tiki Oasis in August.

Doink! You'll never find the Red Lion. Look for the Crowne Plaza (formerly know as the Hanalei) :)

DOH! The Crowne Plaza formerly known as the Red Lion Inn formerly known as the Hanalei :lol:

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music" Friedrich Nietzsche

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-24 09:20 ]

Ha Ha!

T

I've been lurking for awhile now on Tiki Central, but now I'm a member! This post is just to say hi.

I just found this thread.. So consider this my official rum soaked greetings to all you Tiki Heads out there!

.... if Tiki is a sickness than I don't want be cured :D

Hello, fellow tikiphiles. I've been lurking in the shadows way too long, so I figured I'd move into the light and raise a toast: to friends, fun, and fire. :)

Good name! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies