Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Okay, I'm finally here. Now, let's talk tiki.

I was driving along Almaden Road this morning and saw the site of the former Club Lanai where my parents used to go dancing in the 1950s. I decided to look online to see if any information was available.

On 2013-02-03 22:56, Haunted_Howlie wrote:
Okay, I'm finally here. Now, let's talk tiki.

Aloha. Welcome to TC Haunted_Howlie. I am a Big Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise fan. I am hoping to come in June. Tell us a little more about yourself. Are you into the Disney Tiki seeing as you are so close? Do you frequent Trader Sam's? :tiki:

TT

Been trolling for a while doing research for my authentic Tiki bar going up this spring/summer. Figured it was time to introduce myself and give a thanks to all of you for creating and contributing to such a wonderful resource.

I've been lurking here off and on for several years. I'm in the Salem, OR area but often hang out in PDX. I know some of you and have bought things from several of you. Currently working on a portable tiki bar (to go with our mimsy tiki pirate bar) nothing as grand as the tiki at Burning Man, Shipwreck Bar. Just something to transport to Sea Dogs and friend's back yards.

T

Hello from Orange, CA!! I'm new to TC and fairly new to the wonderful world of Tiki. We had our first Tiki Party last year and I can't stop thinking about Tiki now!! :) Awesome to see a site dedicated to amazing group of tiki artists, enthusiasts and collectors.

[ Edited by: TikiJaxx 2013-02-09 12:46 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 9, 2013 12:42 PM

Welcome new members and lurkers. Here's a few unspoken rules on Tiki Central so you don't get your feelings hurt and stop posting when somebody corrects you.

The SEARCH function is your friend, use it often and always use it before posting a new thread topic, because many times your subject has been discussed previously on TC.

Some Tiki Central people have a dry or sarcastic sense of humor that sometimes comes across more of an attack, so have a thick skin and/or ignore them. If they bug you, send them a PM rather than fighting on the thread and derailing it. If that doesn't work, contact a TC administrator and they will help fix the situation. We try to be nice here, but sometimes an attempt at humor doesn't always come across as that.

On 2013-02-05 16:13, malahabana wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181073585265
Please check my hand carve tiki

Malahabana, you ALMOST got Tiki Central etiquette right.

Your first post was in the introduction thread----that was good.
Your first post is about selling your stuff----that was bad.
Your first post should be in this thread introducing yourself. Your second post should either be in Tiki Carving showing your carvings or in Tiki Marketplace with your ebay listing. People here don't appreciate when somebody just jumps on here and the first thing they say is, "buy my stuff" before introducing themselves.

Post these in the carving thread and you'll get compliments and helpful critiques . Just jump in to try and sell stuff and you'll get your hand slapped.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-09 12:50 ]

Aloha New members. Listen to GROG. He knows what he's talking about. Follow those rules and you will be trouble free.

Hello all
Have fun and
Welcome aboard...

sometimes Grog posts things twice
Don't worry
He's not yelling
Grog is Grog
He just wants to make sure you listen
:)

Jon

TT

Thanks for the etiquette lession Grog. Wish I would have seen it earlier. I went ahead and removed my post offering my wife and son for sale/trade/BO. They both like Tiki so I thought it would be kosher, my bad. I'll wait till I get a couple more post under by belt before I put them back up, pics coming.

[ Edited by: Tiki Toli 2013-02-10 16:26 ]

J

On 2013-02-12 00:44, HelenCampbell wrote:
Hi everyone! First, I would like to say sorry because I really can't find the right place to post this one.

I just want to introduce myself here. By the way, I am Helen from Sarasota. Hope I am welcome here! Thanks a lot! :)

Glad to meet ya !!

Welcome folks, Grog said some wise stuff, but if you are not sure of something just ask,
plenty of nice folk here to help........not saying I'm one of them, sooooo.....:) :) :)

Aloha all!
I have been perusing these forums for several months now, and even posted a couple things; but figured I should introduce myself.

I think I've always had an attraction to Tiki stuff, and perhaps it started from (what some here view as not 'Real Tiki' ) Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. I think I also like the mid century vibe and mourn the loss of so many architectural treasures in the name of progress. This web site has helped me discover some of the remaining Tiki Treasures, and to uncover historic places I didn't even know about. I love all the Urban Archeology going on here.

I also am inspired by all the creative things going on amongst the Tiki Centralites. Home Bar projects, carving, and other crafts. So Awesome!

Hopefully I can contribute in some way, and encourage others.

Mahalo to all the people who make this web site possible.

Greetings Tiki Central Forum Members!

Just had to drop a 20 foot queen and am going to try my hand at creating a few tikis with the 4ft pieces I saved. It's been over 30 years since I carved anything... So I'm here to learn and ask.

I tried looking for a few answers and didnt find anything that dealt with my q's... Specifically, I know it is customary to strip the bark off the logs; is that best done now while still "green"? Also, after stripping bark, is it better to dive right in, or let the wood dry and cure? If so, how long?

Thanks in advence for any help or pointers!

Mahalo

Darryl, I'll give your Q's a shot.
Queen palm is not the best carving palm, in fact most carvers avoid it.
BUT, since you have it, may as well go for it, right?
First, I would let it sit a few months, unskinned. I would not bother with any pieces from the top half of this 20' tree. Stick with the lower half.
Queen tends to be like a pumpkin, a the wood is solid at the surface and for a couple inches into it, then gets mushy/stringy/soft inside.
Your specific pieces will dictate what you can do with them. Once you start carving, you'll know if they are decent or trash.
Hope this helps. Look through the carving forum for more info...

C

Hello,
I'm Cyn in Colorado. Have lived and traveled in Asia and the South Pacific, and wasted many a fine hour in tropical bars. Now I have a tiny home bar that I think would tiki nicely, and will be asking for help in the other forum. Also looking for fun tiki activities in Denver. Cheers!

L

All hail the tiki gods!

Ok - that aside.

Aloha nui! I'm Less - born & raised on Oahu, grew up in Wahiawa (pineapple country), played on the North Shore and party in Waikiki. Spent many years on the eastern seaboard learning my trade (graphics, design, printing & publishing) - only to return to my island home for there is NO PLACE like Hawaii! Besides, that white stuff called snow is just way too much for me to deal with on a regular basis. :P

My interest in tiki's... well, I've always been a lover of wood work (my dad is a master carpenter) and I have carved my own itty-bitty-tikis, canoes, picture frames and such-what-not as projects to earn various scouting badges. Now with my Dremmel, I do some pretty good detail work for friends and family as well as myself - nothing commercial. Is a hobby I love so don't wanna ruin it with money.

I grew up eating at places like the Pearl City Tavern, Tahitian Lanai, South Seas Restaurant, Three Coins, Willows, Wysteria, Golden Dragon and more. It was the style and designs of these and other TH-era buildings that got me into graphic arts in the first place. :) It amazes me how much Oahu has changed, and continues to do so, as this island struggles with its roots while being a progressive metropolis in the middle of the Pacific ocean (subject of a series I am writing for my blog).

Doing research on a rather unique tiki piece (which I couldn't place until I fell into this forum here) owned by my employer, I stumbled across this site - and you guys are a treasure trove of information & passion for the style that gives me such warm fuzzies! I'll post about this piece in the pertinent boards. :)

Anyhoo... I'm glad to be here... and hope to expand my knowledge more with everyone's help.

A hui hou!
~Less

Greetings all, have been lurking for a while and finally posting for the first time. From the midwest with no tiki bars (Tiki Bob's does NOT count), and had my first tiki experience about 3 years ago at Frankie's in Vegas, hooked ever since. I'm usually spotted at Tonga Hut in North Hollywood or Tiki Ti in Los Angeles. Now the party's started!

John

Hello tikiman of carlsbad trying to post an introduction don't know if this is right forum but I have been carving tikis in north county since 1999 and I am the guy who carved the live trees at the ocean palms beach resort in carlsbad funny because I just read an old article that said tiki Tom did them which is incorrect I have carved over 50 live trees and over 500 tikis love the tikis Anthony tikiman

Hello All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Ive been a longtime reader of this forum over the years, and finally signed up. Having my own Tiki bar has been a long time obsession of mine, but things like time, money, and the fact that I rent my home have always gotten in the way. But at long last, Ive actually started to to take the plunge. I work from a shoestring budget, and really try to use found material for this project, but the ideas Ive gotten from this site have been INVALUABLE!!! Just wanted to thank all those who post, and I look forward to sharing what I'll be creating. Thanks Again everybody!

HT

Is there anyway to have this thread as a sticky? Keep it at the top, so that it's the first thing new members can see?

O

Aloha! Greetings from non-tiki friendly Northern NJ. Our quasi Tiki Lounge provides us with the winter refuge, as well as some of the outside tropical plants. When the weather averages 50F, the plants go out and the backyard grooming starts.

I am interested in all things tropical and Tiki. I credit this with falling in love with Disney's Polynesian Resort as a young kid in the late 70s. I have been striving to recreate a little piece of paradise for the last few years.

Please check out the website at http://www.koenigtiki.com.

Ohmsford

Hello ... My name is Sammy Velvet... and im a TIKI addict .... everyone... "HI SAMMY" ...

Big TC welcome Sammy!

Some of you SoCal TCers will know Sammy, Francine & their celebrity Dog "Mei Mei"
(Don't tell Francine, that Mei Mei is a dog!)

from Tiki events like Oasis & Caliente.

Sammy is a rep for "Deadhead Rum" so I think we will be seeing a lot more of him in the future!

MEI MEI!
YAY!

Howdy Sammy!
Moss you and francine!
Welcome to TC!

HT

Hi Sammy.

My name is Lucky and I'm a cocktail addict. It's been 2 days since my last libatio...oh, that's not what we're doing? Oh okay.

Sammy, sent you cats an email the other day through the web form.

Welcome!

On 2013-03-03 22:56, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Sammy is a rep for "Deadhead Rum" so I think we will be seeing a lot more of him in the future!

My Deadhead Rum arrives today, and I am really looking forward to it.

Welcome to TC, Sammy!

Hey Hey Everybody!

Aloha from Sunny San Diego. I have been active in Tiki Culture for a long time now, and am lucky and happy to be a SD Native. My bar is the Creepy Tiki and rum is my friend. Come to think of it, so is Scotch and Whiskey too. Vodka isn't bad. Well, wine too. um, missing anything? Oh Well. I love my tiki peeps.

Aloha!
"Pops"

H

Aloha folks......just found this site. It looks like a fun place.

Aloha brah, howz it. Welcome to TC.

T

'Sup, dudes!

A surf/skate loving chick from sunny England here, just saying aloha to you guys. I've loved tiki since I was a kid (my dad was in the Navy, it's in the blood!). I'm getting a garden cabin in the future and I'm already looking at ways to turn it into an island paradise. Glad to be here. :D

HT

On 2013-03-07 14:13, TikiLemur wrote:
'Sup, dudes!

A surf/skate loving chick from sunny England here, just saying aloha to you guys. I've loved tiki since I was a kid (my dad was in the Navy, it's in the blood!). I'm getting a garden cabin in the future and I'm already looking at ways to turn it into an island paradise. Glad to be here. :D

Aloha! I hope you've made it to a Lola Lo or two! I love the mugs that Cheeky Tiki does, but shipping to the US is insane.

Well, welcome!

On 2013-03-07 16:14, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2013-03-07 14:13, TikiLemur wrote:
'Sup, dudes!

Aloha! I hope you've made it to a Lola Lo or two! I love the mugs that Cheeky Tiki does, but shipping to the US is insane.

Well, welcome!

But of course! Although I am in the North and sadly I don't have one nearby. Cheeky Tiki stuff is very cool, and boy do I know about import charges! I wish I could buy more tiki from the US. Cheers for the welcome!

J

Hi,

My tiki man directed me to this site, so here I am. (Who knew I'd ever have a tiki man or need one?) I'm Julie and I live in Palm Springs, CA. home of Tiki Caliente. I'm working on some cool tiki art that I'll be posting in the Tiki Gallery. When I have some finished items, I'll post them in the Tiki Marketplace. To give you a hint at what I'm up to; I'll just say there are tikis, pineapples and glitter involved.

Peace,
Julie

P

greetings all,

long overdue intro here. my name is stefan, and with any luck, the wife and i will be opening a bar this spring/summer in cleveland, ohio. we've met a number of you at last years hukilau, as well as in our travels across the country in researching for our establishment. while i don't post much, i've all but worn out the search function of this place. will be glad to answer any questions, but didn't want to jam up this thread with back and forth, and wasn't sure if i should start a thread in "locating" since we're still a couple months off from opening?

either way, you're welcome to ask any questions or follow us in any of the below media to see our progress. thank you for being such a great source of info and preservation of the culture, and we look forward to serving you!

cheers,

stefan

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/porcolounge

twitter: https://twitter.com/porcolounge

Hi Folks,

I'm a first-time poster (mostly), long-time fan (a few years). I love the site and am constantly working on improving my tiki-cred.

Thanks,
Destro100

I'm a tiki nut, a rum snob and I wrote a short book of tiki cocktail recipes based on the horrifying Cthulhu Mythos -- The Tikinomicon! It's great to be here...

ET

Happy to be part of this forum.......have been reading and following for a while. Main interests in regards to this forum are mixology (have been mixing and sampling going on 5 years now from Jeff Berry's esteemed works) and Exotica and Lounge music. Will be at Hukilau 2013 and hope to meet a lot of you there.

F

Greetings everyone. I'm from hot as he'll Arizona. My fiancé and I have just started to get into the tiki culture but its a lot of fun. We love going to Frankie's tiki room in Las Vegas and building out tiki mug collection. Hope to start going to some tiki events. The one here in Phoenix stopped being put on.

Aloha from Nashville,TN

Hi everyone I'm Dave and I've loved things South Seas and Tiki ever sense I was a kid and saw Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room for the first time. But I will admit I never really got into it like I am now. I live in a small FL cabin and am working on turning it into a Tiki hut (it's real small) as much as I can it's a rental.

I have a music question, I will use the search too but often a direct question to knowledgeable people is still better. Is the any electronic dance/house music that has taken up the tiki theme?

Thanks

Welcome Dave, but let me just say this up front
electronic dance/house music is not Tiki.......just so you know.

I like your name, BambooRadley. Good one.

Dave: Re: Music...I've found Blue Tiki Lounge @ Live365 a decent primer...
Also have a question: Nashville is land-locked and Tiki-less..I'm considering attending this year's Hukilau. But, it's a long haul for the un-initiated. Regulars here fans of this event?
Aloha,
BR

:) SDT

TM

On 2013-03-18 20:10, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I like your name, BambooRadley. Good one.

Yeah, it's pretty rad! :)

TM

On 2013-03-18 16:50, ExplorerDave wrote:
Hi everyone I'm Dave and I've loved things South Seas and Tiki ever sense I was a kid and saw Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room for the first time. But I will admit I never really got into it like I am now. I live in a small FL cabin and am working on turning it into a Tiki hut (it's real small) as much as I can it's a rental.

I have a music question, I will use the search too but often a direct question to knowledgeable people is still better. Is the any electronic dance/house music that has taken up the tiki theme?

Thanks

Only one band I know of:

http://narcoloungecombo.bandcamp.com/

Start with track 2. It's not electronic dance/house but it is electronic.....

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-03-18 20:27 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies