Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

On 2013-03-18 20:24, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2013-03-18 20:10, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I like your name, BambooRadley. Good one.

Yeah, it's pretty rad! :)

thanks...I'm slowly learning how to post...exciting times here...

HT

HAHAAHAHAHAA I am thoroughly amused, Mr. Radley.

On 2013-03-19 04:19, Hale Tiki wrote:
HAHAAHAHAHAA I am thoroughly amused, Mr. Radley.

Thanks HaleT

C
Carey posted on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 6:03 AM

Hey all, my name is Carey (I know, my screen name is REALLY CREATIVE! Lol), and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm kind of new to the tiki world, so I'm here mostly for the education and more importantly... The ARTWORK! :) I'm always looking for new art and artists to hang on my walls, and I've noticed google always brings me here, so I figured it was time to officially join the group. I'll try not to cause too much trouble while I'm here! :)

HT

On 2013-03-19 06:03, Carey wrote:
Hey all, my name is Carey (I know, my screen name is REALLY CREATIVE! Lol), and I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm kind of new to the tiki world, so I'm here mostly for the education and more importantly... The ARTWORK! :) I'm always looking for new art and artists to hang on my walls, and I've noticed google always brings me here, so I figured it was time to officially join the group. I'll try not to cause too much trouble while I'm here! :)

From a fellow Pittikiphile, ALOHA!

P
porco posted on Tue, Mar 19, 2013 9:59 AM

On 2013-03-18 20:16, BambooRadley wrote:
I'm considering attending this year's Hukilau. But, it's a long haul for the un-initiated. Regulars here fans of this event?
Aloha,
BR

do it. perfect primer for the uninitiated (as i was at last years). super nice people, great vibe, amazing education at the seminars, you won't be disappointed.

On 2013-03-19 09:59, porco wrote:

On 2013-03-18 20:16, BambooRadley wrote:
I'm considering attending this year's Hukilau. But, it's a long haul for the un-initiated. Regulars here fans of this event?
Aloha,
BR

do it. perfect primer for the uninitiated (as i was at last years). super nice people, great vibe, amazing education at the seminars, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Porco...much needed insight
Cheers...
BR

On 2013-03-18 19:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Welcome Dave, but let me just say this up front
electronic dance/house music is not Tiki.......just so you know.

OK that may be true as I did read the other day that Tiki is not true South Pacific Island music, but if I remember right basically a jazzy, romantic Caucasian vision of what Caucasians think South Pacific Island music is. If that is basically true I asked the wrong question. Let me add that I do like Tiki too, from what I have heard, if this is the case, I like a lot of different music.

This does remind me a lot of a conversation I had several years ago over contemporary Native American music, which I also enjoy. A woman at work who said she was 15% native American said she was very offended by the music, because it wasn't “authentic”, and it was an insult to her ancestors. I'm thinking to myself that the music I was listening to was created by full blooded Native Americans so who was this self acclaimed 15%er to tell me it wasn't authentic! And does that mean that the only “authentic” Caucasian American music is Fife and Drum Corps?

However if Tiki is not true island music but a stylized version of it, perhaps a better question is, I know a lot of Native South Pacific Island music is very strong on drums with a fast beat for dancing, does anyone know of any updated electronic dance/house music twists on this?

Thanks to those who responded to my question.

On 2013-03-20 23:24, ExplorerDave wrote:

On 2013-03-18 19:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Welcome Dave, but let me just say this up front
electronic dance/house music is not Tiki.......just so you know.

OK that may be true as I did read the other day that Tiki is not true South Pacific Island music, but if I remember right basically a jazzy, romantic Caucasian vision of what Caucasians think South Pacific Island music is. If that is basically true I asked the wrong question. Let me add that I do like Tiki too, from what I have heard, if this is the case, I like a lot of different music.

This does remind me a lot of a conversation I had several years ago over contemporary Native American music, which I also enjoy. A woman at work who said she was 15% native American said she was very offended by the music, because it wasn't “authentic”, and it was an insult to her ancestors. I'm thinking to myself that the music I was listening to was created by full blooded Native Americans so who was this self acclaimed 15%er to tell me it wasn't authentic! And does that mean that the only “authentic” Caucasian American music is Fife and Drum Corps?

However if Tiki is not true island music but a stylized version of it, perhaps a better question is, I know a lot of Native South Pacific Island music is very strong on drums with a fast beat for dancing, does anyone know of any updated electronic dance/house music twists on this?

Short answer, Exotica. Exotica has been co-opted to categorize a style of modern house music that does in fact blend "island sounds" with electronic music. I'm not a fan, but I know that a lot of searching for exotica on Spotify and the like turn up a bunch of the modern exotica take. They call it lounge, but lounge doesn't mean lounge like it used to. Different music types again. In this case, lounge refers to stuff that can more likely be associated with smooth jazz.

I have the perfect example at home, just can't think of what it's called.

I'm not a fan, and it's not "tiki," persay.

But if you want good drums, might I recommend tahitian drumming!

AL

Hi,
just saying Hello!
I've always had a thing for Tiki culture, but mainly like the Mai Tai's in Hawaii.
We recently bought a house with a bathroom that is in need of a Tiki restyling.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

BTW I'm in Los Angeles,CA and a Toy Designer at a big Toy company.

I read about the Tiki market Place happening in Costa Mesa, is that worth going to?
Thanks! Any tips or tricks??

I'm looking for some Tiki-bamboo light fixtures.

[ Edited by: Abe Lugo 2013-03-25 09:14 ]

Welcome to TC, Abe Lugo!

I can recommend taking a look at local TC member, tikiskip, who makes some awesome tiki lights. Just google "tikiskip tiki lights" and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks AceExplorer!
And welcome Abe Lugo.
Have lots of new stuff commin out once mother f!^& nature releases this death grip
she has on our fine state.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

Looks like my back yard, Skip.

I declare This state uninhabitable and not conducive to the Aloha spirit.
Leave now or be doomed to half a life spent in a cold grey depressive stupor.

On 2013-03-25 09:13, Abe Lugo wrote:
Hi,
just saying Hello!
I've always had a thing for Tiki culture, but mainly like the Mai Tai's in Hawaii.
We recently bought a house with a bathroom that is in need of a Tiki restyling.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

BTW I'm in Los Angeles,CA and a Toy Designer at a big Toy company.

I read about the Tiki market Place happening in Costa Mesa, is that worth going to?
Thanks! Any tips or tricks??

I'm looking for some Tiki-bamboo light fixtures.

[ Edited by: Abe Lugo 2013-03-25 09:14 ]

Welcome to TC!

The Tiki Marketplace is in Huntington Beach (Sunset Beach) at Don the Beachcomber. It is worth going to. Somebody is usually selling some wonderful handmade light fixtures. The upcoming ITMP has a couple of excellent artists that are coming in from out of state so it should be a great one.
Tips or tricks for the marketplace? Get there early, talk to the sellers and artists, have fun and bring a lot of cash.
-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-25 13:49 ]

What! The International Tiki Marketplace (at Don the Beachcomber in Seal Beach, by the way....)
is the greatest collective of Tiki Artist, Craftsmen, collectors on the face of the planet!

No where else can you meet the greatest Tiki minds (and buy some nice mugs to..) the world
has to offer & no where else can you experience the sites & sounds (The drinks are pretty good also)
of Tiki perfection (picture Gene Wilder saying this!) in this reality (did I mention the drinks?)

THIS IS TIKI! so I recommend you go.........do it now......go....even though it's not til April 6th....go...now.

On 2013-03-25 13:55, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
What! The International Tiki Marketplace (at Don the Beachcomber in Seal Beach, by the way....)

According to the Don the Beachcomber website they're in Huntington Beach. I work in the same zipcode as Don the Beachcomber and my office is in Huntington Beach.

Don The Beachcomber
16278 Pacific Coast Hwy.
Huntington Beach, CA 92649

It's "Sunset Beach".......which is now part of Huntington Beach, just since a year or so ago
H.B. annexed Sunset Beach: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/08/sunset_beach_now_officially_a.php

But the address is still "Sunset Beach", so we are both technically right "tomato, tomato"
but if you access GPS or mailing info for directions....it is still listed under Sunset Beach.....so there :)

Now kneel before ZOD!

(Fixed reference to Seal Beach)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-25 15:21 ]

Stupid Gerrymandering!

Sunset Beach is South of PCH. Except for small section called Surfside which is Seal Beach. North of PCH (where Don's is) is Huntington Beach.

And how about a link...

TikiCentral: International Tiki Marketplace

King Bushwich the 33rd you are right! I wrote "Seal Beach", but I meant "Sunset Beach"
stupid every town here is named "Beach" something or another.....or maybe I am just getting old...

I will fix my post above accordingly...

So King Bushwick is correct and I'm not? That's to be expected.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-25 15:23 ]

Lori, please see corrected posts above, I forgot to take my "Geritol" today
So now if you please......Kneel before ZOD!!! :lol:

On 2013-03-25 15:19, tikilongbeach wrote:

No, we are both right (if you can forgive my use of "Seal Beach" for Sunset Beach"), because of the county gerrymandering
now enjoy your cocktail as it is your last before I enslave your world!......or not.

I did mention i forgot to take my "Geritol" today?

I have asked them and they say, "No one knows where Sunset Beach is so we say Huntington so that people can find us."

T

That's what's called a thread page flip.
Welcome to TC.

AL

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks we will definitely go to the marketplace.

One last thing, does anyone have any of the world market Bamboo light fixtures 412 or 414? They are discontinued, But it seems no one has mentioned them here. Though TIKISKIP has given me some ideas and may even order a light from him, just really exploring right now.

I did get most the pegasus Bamboo fixtures. The chrome one in the bathroom don't go with it right now anyhow. I'm going to main the Moen bamboo handles and pulls to match.

T

You can find ANYTHING on eBay.
It may take some time, And it may not be at
your price.
But one day it will be on eBay.
So if you want those lights eBay is where I would look.
Good luck.

AL

Yeah i have an auto search setup on ebay, does anyone happen to know how long ago they were out? Tikiskip where do you find those bamboo rings?

Abe Lugo, if you have not gleaned the message from today's posts already
Go to the ITMP at Don's!.........in Sunset Beach...which is part of Huntington Beach.

but only for the last year.......Kneel before ZOD!

T

The Bamboo rings are actually rattan.
I make those out of rattan that I get from Franks cane and Rush.
http://www.franksupply.com/

And for gods sake will you please go to
"The ITMP at Don's!.........in Sunset Beach...which is part of Huntington Beach."
The beginning and end of ALL that is was or ever will be TIKI.
Opps..:)

AL

thanks, we will be going to the HB marketplace for sure!

On 2013-03-25 15:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2013-03-25 15:19, tikilongbeach wrote:

No, we are both right (if you can forgive my use of "Seal Beach" for Sunset Beach"), because of the county gerrymandering
now enjoy your cocktail as it is your last before I enslave your world!......or not.

I did mention i forgot to take my "Geritol" today?

And I forgot to take my anti-bitch medicine that day! I do miss Sunset Beach. Work related nonsense made me cranky.
New members of Tiki Central, ATP and I know each other so please don't think we are being hateful to one another.

Everyone who "knows" me, also knows that I threaten
(but in a good way!)
to destroy the world (or at least enslave humanity)
several times a day......does that make me a bad guy?
(I pay my taxes, have friends etc.)

Now if I can at least get my order of "Laser Sharks"
maybe I can get the ball rolling :D

oh & I almost forgot........Kneel before ZOD!...now have a nice day.

On 2013-03-27 09:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
oh & I almost forgot........Kneel before ZOD!...now have a nice day.

Here's a little present for you, ATP:

A ZOD action figure! God, I was so young back then......

Z

Hey Guys,
My name is Radoslav and I am a big fan of Tiki mugs :)

Welcome new members of TC
1st rule of Tiki Central: There is no crying in "Tiki"
sit back and enjoy the ride!

TM

On 2013-03-27 10:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
A ZOD action figure! God, I was so young back then......

so was he:

T

On 2013-03-28 15:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Welcome new members of TC
1st rule of Tiki Central: There is no crying in "Tiki"

Did a search on tears and got this... 566 matches total.
Search on crying....440 matches total.
This has joy and cry in it.

But I am all for welcoming "Newbies" while providing them a safe & semi comfortable environment
as long as we can still browbeat them with Tiki & Mid Century Dogma until they cry......in joy, that is.......

Good news is joy and happy has more hits than tears and cry.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-28 16:27 ]

Which is why I had BambooBen build a giant Bamboo baby crib
to put those whiners in!

Thanks Tikiskip! I am glad to see that some of my old ramblings
still make sense......"Okay Ramblers, let's get rambling"!

But the real message that "Tikiskip" has for you...
Use the search button, it works and will keep you from future bitch slaps
and knowing is half the battle! :lol:

See what we did with that!

HT

On 2013-03-28 16:43, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
and knowing is half the battle! :lol:

G I JOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEE!

On 2013-03-28 17:53, Hale Tiki wrote:

G I JOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEE!

But the question is...

Are we talking REAL "G.I. Joe"...

... Or that crap from the Eighties?

HT

On 2013-03-29 01:01, Brudda Bear wrote:

But the question is...

Are we talking REAL "G.I. Joe"...

... Or that crap from the Eighties?

Them's fighting words, sir. The series in the 80s was great. The new movie actually looks good too.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies