Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,276 replies

Really great Tiki work! I'll be at the Tonga Hut's 55th...and looking forward to seeing your artwork in person!

Hello!
Have been a member of Ooga Mooga for a while and thought it was time to join up here. We are a husband and wife team in New Orleans that share a love of tiki culture. We collect tiki, create modern and not-so-modern tiki art and furniture and partake in DIY tiki projects. I thought we could make a little introduction here before we started posting some of our finds and projects on the other forums. Glad to have joined! If you're in NOLA give us a shout!

Hello all,
I am a newbie on this board but a not so newbie in life. I live 30 miles North of Chicago. I am a collector of alot of different mediums. I appreciate all forms of art. I have some velvet paintings, a few cheap tiki cups and just took ownership of the cannibal tikis I posted in the appropriate section (i hope). I did look through alot of postings before I posted the pic of my tiki but there are an aweful lot of them. I apologize if I offended anyone or broke any rules.
Thanks,
Mike

J

On 2013-07-07 22:52, Ho-Tep-Nefti wrote:
I was first introduced to Tiki culture by my favorite older brother, who carved a Tiki necklace in woodshop, around the time I was born. He was shipped overseas in the Air Force, when I was eight. I asked if I could have his Tiki necklace until he returned...assuming that if I had one of his most prized posessions, he HAD to return alive. I named the necklace Hotep Nefti, from a Gidget episode, where a Tiki broke a curse. My brother returned 18 months later, and let me keep his Tiki, which I had worn almost every day while he was gone. My brother passed away ten years ago, and my life situation changed, where I had to put a number of things in storage. Hotep Nefti was safely placed in the jewelry box that my brother brought back from Asia, for me. Last year, I discovered that the storage unit had been broken into and ransacked...and my jewelry box was among the items missing...and I assumed that Hotep Nefti was gone. A good friend of mine, gave me a silver Tiki necklace that he used to wear, to ease my pain. Last month, while going through boxes in storage, I found Hotep Nefti...and we have been celebrating it's return to my life ever since. If I could have ANY item to best remember my brother by, it would be Hotep Nefti. I do Tiki to honor my brother and the bond we had.

In the near-future, I am looking forward to attending the Tonga Hut 55th Anniversary, the new Ven-Tiki, Tiki Oasis, visiting The Spare Room, Cruising on The Tiki Mermaid, and many other upcoming events.

Native Angelino, having grown up "on the beach."

Ho-Tep-Nefti
Tiki Goddess Extraordinaire

[ Edited by: Ho-Tep-Nefti 2013-07-08 08:20 ]

Cool story and user name, welcome to TC !!

You might want to scale down the size of your signature picture to something like this though :)...

Aloha. I've been lurking here for quite a while and decided it was time to sign-up (spurred by a particular query, but with the hope of an ongoing participation). I live in the Southwest Suburbs of Chicago with my wife and two kids. I've always had a fascination with Tiki. I find it transportative, mysterious, alluring, simultaneously comforting and fear-inspiring, and I just dig the aesthetic of it all.

Hello, been lurking for a while. Love the forum and the members are so helpful and informative. I have gotten the carving bug and am looking forward to trying my first tiki. I have already learned so much here but I know I have only scratched the surface. I am in the process of turning my yard into a tropical oasis and am excited about surrounding myself with my own tiki carvings.
I live in Texas about 20 min. south of Houston so if there are any members in my area I would love to get together sometime.
I will be posting pictures of my creations when I make them. I'm sure I will have lots of questions eventually but for know I am combing through the old posts and trying to absorb as much as I can.
Thank you all and keep it going.

P

Aloha! If you've read Tiki Road Trip by James Teitelbaum, you have seen me! Of course in the photo I was 4, and the year and spelling of my sister's name (should have been an f instead of ph) are incorrect in the caption in the 1st edition (page 14), and the caption disappeared in the 2nd edition (page 6)... but other than all that, I am famous!!!

Ok really I'm just a poor math teacher in the High Desert of southern CA looking for someone to carve a tiki out of a 3-foot log my neighbor gave me.

I am in that book, though. For reals.

[ Edited by: pvlgize 2013-07-23 14:09 ]

H

On 2013-07-23 14:08, pvlgize wrote:
Aloha! If you've read Tiki Road Trip by James Teitelbaum, you have seen me! Of course in the photo I was 4, and the year and spelling of my sister's name (should have been an f instead of ph) are incorrect in the caption in the 1st edition (page 14), and the caption disappeared in the 2nd edition (page 6)... but other than all that, I am famous!!!

Ok really I'm just a poor math teacher in the High Desert of southern CA looking for someone to carve a tiki out of a 3-foot log my neighbor gave me.

I am in that book, though. For reals.

[ Edited by: pvlgize 2013-07-23 14:09 ]

You must be Melanie! Welcome to Tiki Central!

As far as finding someone to do some Tiki carving, be sure to post that you are seeking a carver in the Tiki Carving forum:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=7&89757

Cheers!

-Haka

Aloha,

I have been watching this site for a long time now, and decided to join in on the fun today. I have been collecting Tiki mugs for a long time, love Exotica music, and spend a lot of time at the Tiki Room at Disney World. I have enjoyed lurking on this site for quite a while and have gotten lots ideas and inspiration from the posts I have seen here. I hope that I can add to the conversation and share my love of all things Tiki along with the rest of the community.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: tikijim30 2013-07-24 20:08 ]

Hi Folks.

Have spent some time in the past looking at other's home bars for inspiration. Now that I have some space, I've been working on my own and figured I'd join the party.

I got my introduction to tiki as a teenager, but once I was of age, I got my true introduction at the delightfully untouched Trader Vic's here in Atlanta.

I lived in NYC for a few years and my home away from home was Otto's Shrunken Head in the East Village, where I spent a lot of time either at the bar, playing gigs with my band, or DJing forgotten 45s. It is my favorite bar anywhere.

I run the Starlight Drive-In Theatres here in Atlanta, and when I have to head to our home office in Los Angeles, I always make sure to drop into Tiki Ti.

There's some amazing work on this forum, looking forward to learning more. I'll try and post some photos of my home bar here in a bit.

Cheers.

The Blacktop Kid

BK

Hello everyone!

Always had a love of Tiki (Like many people, from the Tiki Room)

Been lurking on this board for about a year now, in anticipation of buying a house and slowly start saving up money, mugs, bottles, etc...to build my own bar.

Got the house, some everyday mugs (mostly from Trader Sam's, my only real experience with any sort of Tiki), a handful of unique bottles, just need the money now :)

As mentioned, only really been to Trader Sam's. Have yet to make it out the Bay Area to check out some of the bars there, and the Sacramento area is lacking in any real public Tiki it seems.

Looking forward to starting to be active here, and asking a bunch of questions!

Hey guys new to the forum I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a lover of cocktails in general and I am fairly new to making authentic tiki drinks. Looking forward to learning all that I can!

Hi-

My name I Justin. I have lurked for awhile but have recently joined TC.

I first became interested in Tiki and Polynesian culture while working as a lifeguard at Disney's Polynesian Resort. I still work for the company but now in a professional role (graduating college sucks!)

I like reading here because I am learning a lot about tiki and not just things with a Disney spin... I can answer most questions about Disney tho...

Looking forward to a great time.

Mahalo

On 2013-08-02 14:04, blueeyedtiki wrote:
Hey guys new to the forum I just wanted to introduce myself. I am a lover of cocktails in general and I am fairly new to making authentic tiki drinks. Looking forward to learning all that I can!

what part of Florida are you in?

Aloha oukou! My name is Vanja, I live in Norway and I love tiki and mid century stuff. This forum seems like a great place to learn more and see the fantastic things others create, so I figured I'd sign up.

I have a small collection of tiki mugs and other related items. I also like to draw and paint, and when I was younger I used to carve (very simple) figurines and masks from wood. I'm hoping to give that a try again soon, hopefully with better results this time.

Me ka haahaa,
Vanja

Hi all
I'm totally new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.
I'm an artist. Kind of new to the Tiki scene as I have focused mostly on the kustom car and pin up genres. But we all know how the scenes are blending these days.
I live in KNoxville, TN via, San Diego CA, via Burbank CA, via Detroit MI.
Cheers!
Jim O.

http://www.car-noir.com

Hi All, Damian here. (Spamboree D) Finally decided to pull back the shimmering veil that is Tiki Central and try setting up a Tropical lounge for myself. I was lucky enough to have had my parents take me to Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic's, The Tahitian Village and the like as a child, (no we weren't rich, just a working class family that liked going to interesting places). I loved all of it and was sad to see it slowly fade away... But it was a night at The Tiki"s in Monterey Park that sealed the deal for me! Talk about sensory overload!!! I've never forgotten it, or my first Tiki mugs that we brought home from there. I must admit I am not what you would call a purist, I collect things that look like they want to go home with me, not just Tiki, but things 40ish to 70ish that just feel right. So my apologies in advance if some of my pics are not "traditional Tiki". But, hopefully I won't embarrass myself too badly. Any help along the way would be appreciated!!

I've been doing a Vintage RV rally in So Cal Called "The Teardrop Spamboree" for 10 years, a Hawaiian themed event that takes us back to the golden years of travel before video games and Blackberrys.

Next year we will be having our first 5 year Spamboreeunion (Where the Tiki's Meets the Trailer Park), and would love for some of you to stop by for the fun. I'll be announcing the dates and location soon. check out http://www.theshortshorttrailer.com The site hasn't been updated for awhile (Whew 5 years) but it will be as soon as I get the dates for next years event! Check out some of the pics on the album page for an idea of what its about!! Look forward to chatting, and possibly seeing you all soon Damian!!

Welcome aboard Spam, you'll fit right in.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2013-08-08 14:34 ]

Thanks CN!!

A hearty welcome to all the newbies from near and far. Plenty of wonderful posts to read on this board to get you up to par on basic Tiki knowledge. Wonderful artists here with much to offer you as you build your lounge. Carry on............

(Love that emoticon Vanja!!!)

Aw jeez, just when I thought tiki culture was enough, now I want one of those teardrop trailers. Damn you Sir! (love the pics)

Hi! New guy here with a general interest in all different kinds of art! Just picked up a beautiful Hawaiian black velvet painting and a little research led me here. Looking forward to learning more about this amazing medium of art!

Thanks for being a great resource,
Larry

Brand new here...wanted to show off bar I bought at Goodwill for $60....it also has 5 no-back stools....super clean and sturdy, just has normal wear and tear scuffs on wood, no gouges or peeling.

Is this a cool find? I think it is.

Not sure if I did image right.

Hello all!
My name is Madison, but all my tiki lovers call me Duchess. I'm the general manager of Tiki Iniki: a new Tiki bar and casual fine dining restaurant opening next month on Kauai's blissful north shore.

I'm here to meet fellow tikiheads and learn as much as I can! Can't wait to hear from you!

You came to the right place. Love to see some picts of your new Tiki restaurant.

H

Welcome to Tiki Central Duchess! Glad you are here. The Tiki Iniki looks like it's coming along great and I can't wait to visit.

Creativenative, check out the Tiki Iniki thread in Locating Tiki.

K

Aloha to all O'hana.

Just checking in on a great site. I live in Central Florida and have had the Tiki/Hawaiian itch ever since I left Oahu in 1975. I'm starting a pool/spa at my "retirement" home. Decided to just give in to the Tiki Gods and theme the whole project.

Mahalo.

kala (carl)

Hi All, Jeff here(Tipsy Yeti)and I'm really glad to be here. I've been a lurker for some time now, I've loved Tiki culture from afar for years but have just really gotten into it. Here in San Francisco, we have a couple of really great places right in town. The Smugglers Cove, and the Tonga Room which is just a block from our home. I've been an artist for many years, mostly Halloween related items, Masks busts etc. I've sculpted my first mug and I'm waiting for my mold to dry out so I can cast it up. The Tipsy Yeti name is our home Tiki bar that we will be building when we buy a house, we hope to do that in the coming months. It will combine a tranquil Tibetan back yard, with a tiki bar. Very Disney inspired, we just love Disney. Anyway, I really hope to interact with you all and thanks for having me.

Hi all, Matt here, I'm am new to this forum and I salute you all! I am from Italy, big fan of rock music, vintage clothes and of course tiki culture!

Currently having fun browsing the many topics here, while sipping a mai tai of course.

A big toast to you all, proud members of Tiki Central!

-Matt

Hi Matt, good to meet you, and welcome!

Howdy!
My name's David and I'm from landlocked San Antonio, TX.
I play in a surf band called, The Phantomatics, but that's neither here nor there.

I've lurked on this site a few times, but finally decided to join.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to lots of good reading material!

Hello tiki guys and gals new to tiki carving grewup in hawaii nevercarved a tiki till now man theirs some cool tik carving going on here just wanted to be part of. It got a few logs hope to get some help from some of the kine tiki carvers here aloha tikihut1p

T

I have a 10 foot palm tree in my backyard. I had to have the top chopped off, it was growing into the power lines above it. I'd like to have it carved into a Tiki theme. Is there anyone in Orange County, Ca that carves Tiki? I'm in north Huntington Beach. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello there!

Back when I was a little too young to enjoy all the tiki drinks I visited the Go-Go themed Tiki Oasis where I become engulfed by the most beautiful scene I could ever imagine.

Well now I'm all grown up, and I suppose I want to get back into my Tiki Roots. You can find me squandering about the bay area- Forbidden Island and Tonga Lounge anyone?

I'm a flight attendant looking for fellow tiki-ers around the world.
Looking forward to new adventures. Nice to meet you all!

[ Edited by: Della_Outlaw 2013-09-02 13:04 ]

Aloha to all in Tiki Land!

Wow this is pretty insane! Just came across this. So much cool information!

It is nice to see that there is such an awesome community.

Look forward to finding some cool events in So Cal.

Mahalo!

D
dtel posted on Fri, Sep 6, 2013 7:56 PM

New here, thought I could at least sign up considering all the lurking and "borrowing" of ideas I have done.

Cool site, look forward to posting some pic's of a garden project were slowly working on and asking many questions, thanks !

Aloha from Maui. I am happy to join a group of tiki lovers.
Ever in Maui or want to swap a tiki mug please let me know.

Howard

Aloha to all you cool sounding newbies! Learn early on how to post pictures, it adds so much to the conversations!

aloha from paris, france. happy to be here and share with you. guys and girls!

I carve wood, bone and stone for about one year, mainly tikis and skulls.

T

Aloha Tiki followers. A big fan of the tiki for a long time... Got a 32 Ford called the Tiki dream.. Just got it in for upholstery in the 60's theme... Tiki shifter, and now I'm hunting for a tiki pin striper to add some licks to my ride. I joined up to check out the pics and check out the life style...

Welcome to all the new folks. That ride is pretty cool...gorgeous blue, hope someone chimes in for the pin-striping as I know there are artists here that do some fabulous work.

Hi Folks! Finally joined after lurking around the forum over the years. Here I am at Tiki Oasis 2013!

Ahoy! New to the site but I've been a fan of tiki for years. Aloha shirts, tiki mugs, tiki cocktails... MMMMM! AND EXOTICA EXOTICA EXOTICA!

Aloha!

I've been lurking for quite a while and decided to show myself. I used to live in MONtana and now live in verMONt, hence MON-Tiki Man. I'll get around to posting some pics of my little home bar when I can. In the meantime, I really like seeing the incredibly creative things you guys have come up with!

Did you know you already had a bar in Quebec? :D

They stole my idea! :wink:

damn, first BK stole that girl's idea for the fries-burger, and now this...

S
Suede posted on Sat, Oct 12, 2013 1:46 PM

Aloha.

I have just come across this group. I live in the UK just outside London. I have just moved into a new house wit a conservatory that is crying out to become a Tiki Lounge.

Are there any other UK based members out there who can make any suggestions on where I can start getting genuine Tiki style furniture, fixtures and fittings?

Cheers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4276 replies