Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Cowtown Kahuna!

Welcome aboard. You've chosen a fine name. I look forward to seeing pictures of your tiki bar.

Sabu The Coconut Boy

K

thanks for a warm welcome you guys...

i do have things to come...i have a tentative verbal agreement with COPRO NASON to do a ONE man show in next april....

but FIRST...i am going to produce some material on the tiki front...
30 or so new paintings...
a T SHIRT line
PRINTS
possibly some other stuff...i will make sure to update the tiki community...

thanks again for the welcome...tiki ti on saturday!

D

Hi, I'm a newbie. My name is Dawn I'm 32 years old and live in Melrose park, Illinois. I basically spent my teens years growing up with Hala Kahiki being in my backyard. I love all tiki items and also having a small but growing collection of barware. If anyone's out there from the Chicagoland area and needs someone to hang with and go to any of the great tiki places or go garage sale/fle marketing just let me know.

Dawn
[email protected]

C

Welcome Dawn! I was just in Chicago on Wed/Thurs, would have loved to meet someone out there for a drink at Trader Vic's. Oh well, Chicago is great even by yourself.

Aloha Dawn32 and Welcome to the Tribe! I'm in So Cal but maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll get a chance to go to Chi-town this August. Never been to Hala Kahiki but heard great things about it.

T

Ok, so I’m not “new”, but I guess I never posted my intro. I am Sabu’s fiancée. He and I will be married in October, I can’t wait. I am currently living in Arizona, but I will be moving to So. Cal in about 5 days, Yippee! Oh and, I love the tiki stuff, but It’s all about the (vintage) clothes for me. See all the hoity-toity Tiki Central Ohana soon. Love you guys!

Love Always,
Tikibelle

.·:* .·*·. :·.
.·:¨¨`:·.
·. .·* .·:´¨¨:·.
.·:* /. ·*· .\ *:·.

"I can handle anything that life throws at me... I may not be able to handle it well, or correctly, or gracefully, or with finesse, or expediently... but I will handle it."

E
Erika posted on Fri, May 2, 2003 9:25 PM

Hi, everyone -

I just changed from eremmy to Erika, so no one will have to think about whether to capitalize that first 'e'. Sort of a public service.

Erika

Hey Tikibelle~
Just looked at your homepage. Any girl who loves Patsy Cline is alright with me! Up for a duet someday?

R

Hello,

This is the first tiki BBS I have posted on but have gone by the handle of Carlos III in other parts. I live in Key West, FL (my family has been here 25-30 years) where I hack a cab, but was a chef by trade for 20+ years until my knees went out on me :( I have traveled and lived extensively around the world and had collected pre-Colombian artifacts in Latin America, Pan-Asian and African sculptures, so I guess it was natural for me to have caught the tiki bug over the last couple of years (4+ years living in Vegas probably helped too) :wink:

Anyway if anyone ever needs help/info about cooking, exotic travel or cigars (another one of my passions) I'm always glad to try and help :)

Welcome to TC Rattiki. Cheers!

Rattiki, Aloha and Welcome to the Tribe! I bet you have a killer collection. Maybe you can post pics for us? Would love to check out some of your stuff!

Aloha everyone... I'm new and from Italy.
I have posted some my carving... please let me know.

B

[ Edited by: badmojo 2006-06-08 11:24 ]

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 11:17 AM

Aloha!

I'm from swingin' Sweden :wink: Have been more or less interested in tiki stuff since the mid 90's when touring California with surf combo Daytonas. Main interest is exotic drinks :)

Skål!

Hey welcome badmojo and Klas. You guys are pretty far away eh? On the flip side you are as close as your computer eh? Cheers!!

Tiki Mauri, Klas and BadMojo,

Aloha and Welcome to the Tiki Central Ohana! It's nice to see some international representation here!!

T

*On 2003-05-04 05:31, Rattiki wrote:*I live in Key West, FL (my family has been here 25-30 years)

Welcome Rattiki! The last time I went to Key West was about a year ago. There was an old tiki bar called the Hukilau (on the main drag coming into town) that had just closed and we were told it was going to be turned into a sports bar. If you could check out the place and give us an update it would be great. I am afraid to hear the bad news but I am so curious.

A

Klas,
Welcome to TC, and thanks for the Gun Club recipes on the other thread. You were with the same Daytonas that did this record, right?

I think I have most of your recordings, since I'm a surf nut. I happened to like that cover art so much that I featured it on my website a while ago (which I haven't updated in forever). The cover reminds me of the style of Miles Thompson, who is also on TikiCentral these days.

Skol, Klas!

-Randy

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 1:14 PM

Thanks for the nice welcome, guys :)

On 2003-05-05 12:24, aquarj wrote:

You were with the same Daytonas that did this record, right?

Yep, that's our first album on the Corduroy label. As for the cover art, I have no idea who did it, as the record was put together in Australia. But I agree with you that it's really nice.

Cheers!

Surf softly and carry a big board

[ Edited by: Klas on 2003-05-05 13:21 ]

K
kooche posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 5:26 PM

i love you randy!

cool record cover....how are the sounds on it???

let me know when you're coming back to the city of angeles!

miles

A
aquarj posted on Mon, May 5, 2003 7:45 PM

Miles, about that Daytonas LP, if I remember right, it's about half car-girl-surf vocals and half instro, and on swirly blue vinyl. I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff. I really dig a song on there called Sound Barrier. Sorta Nordic surf sound, like Husky & the Sandmen and the Langhorns.

Klas, how's the music scene up in Sweden these days? Supposedly "Robert Johnson & the Punchdrunks" are pretty good surfy Swedes too, but I haven't heard much of theirs.

(sorry all, if this is OT for this thread)
-Randy

M

Hi Everyone.

I was a fairly active poster over at the old Yahoo! board but unfortunately have only been an occasional lurker so far at the "new" Tiki Central. After alot of extensive reading here recently I feel very compelled to start contributing again to this fine community (life was a little too busy for awhile for me to hang out here). There are obviously a lot of great people here and I hope to get to know all of you eventually. So here's a little reintroduction...

My wife and I have been tiki obsessed for about 3 years now (so I guess we're still relative newbies to the tiki scene). But we've got it bad! In the last few years our house has transformed from boring and lifeless to a wild polyenesian paradise (in progress). We are serious mug collectors and I have a fairly deep knowledge of mug history. We are slowly building our own ultimate tiki abode. We also collect Shag seriously as well as other artists that we consider hip.

We live in San Diego and have tried to explore every tiki related site that we can find here. Of course, the Bali Hai and Islands are our favorite spots because of their rich history. We're also hosting a big annual tiki party at our place in late June (I'll post an invite and details as they are worked out). If there are any other TC people in San Diego, we would love to meet up for a Mai Tai anytime. Until then...Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

M

Hey!, I just figured out who "kooche" is (that posted messages just above in this topic). Miles, glad to know you're on the board! We love your art and hope to own an original some day soon. Keep up the great work!

ModMana :drink:

ModMana, Aloha and Welcome BACK to Tiki Central! Hey, we have quite a few San Diegans here on TC. Every once in a while, we'll do an SD tiki trip to all the tiki spots - Bali Hai, Islands Room, etc. We'll have to meet you at the next one!

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 6, 2003 10:00 AM

On 2003-05-05 19:45, aquarj wrote:

Klas, how's the music scene up in Sweden these days? Supposedly "Robert Johnson & the Punchdrunks" are pretty good surfy Swedes too, but I haven't heard much of theirs.

Randy, I think Robert Johnson & the Punchdrunks are quite cool although it's more of a Link Wray style than surf IMO. As for today's swedish surf scene, I'm not that updated since I'm only into original 60's stuff nowadays, but I think Barbwires are still around and there's also a band called Pipelines which are supposed to be good.

Aloha!
Just posted for the first time on the EVENTS page, and was just letting y'all know about my DJ night in Seattle. My wife, puamana, and I are leaving tomorrow morning for Tiki Oasis, and look forward to meeting many of you.

Greetings Selector Lopaka, what in blazes does your name mean?

Cajabuz

Selector Lopaka is my disc jockey moniker. In Jamaica, DJs who spin records are often referred to as Selector. And Lopaka is Robert in Hawaiian.

Ok Im new at this so here it goes Hello to all you TIKI nuts checked out this site for about A month and its cool man looks like lots of cool people here I`ll post some old and new TIKI stuff soon so Endsville for now.

V.F.

Welcome Von Franco! For those not around when Tiki Central was on Yahoo, we had a big discussion about the Taboo Tiki Von Franco Bicycle there. Can't wait to see your other Tiki stuff!

~Hanford

T

Welcome VF and we will see you at the Oasis.
We (wife and 2 kids) met you through Big ED (Freaki Tiki) at the Coast airbrush show.
Nice to have you on board.

T

Hello Von Franco. Love your work, esp. the Tiki Pinstriping.

Welcome Von Franco, I have the Taboo Tiki bicycle, and the calendar. Thanks.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-05-09 07:45 ]

Aloha Selector Lopaka and Aloha Von Franco, Welcome to the tribe we call Tiki Central!

VF

Thank you all and hope to see some of you at the Oasis party we`ll be slidin in around 12:00 noon on sat.

Endsville tiki style....

Hi everyone,

I started posting and didn’t really introduce myself – how rude. I’m Can-Tiki-E, from Montreal, Canada – home of the Jardin (that’s garden in French) Tiki, who serve up the best tropical drinks and worst Chinese buffet north of the border. I’m a total online forum newbie, but Tiki Central just seemed like the coolest community, so I decided to take the plunge.

Aloha to all.

Hey all! I am a recent lurker who has finally decided to join! I suppose it helps that I'm sick at home today with a cold.

I am living in Seattle in wonderful Ballard, but I grew up on Oahu. Stupidly (or naturally enough) when I was living in Hawaii, I really wasn't into this stuff beyond owning a few aloha shirts (which no longer fit). But a few years I returned to Oahu with my wife and it felt really, really felt good to be back. Right after that we went to a restaurant with some tiki mugs which I thought were really cool. As a result, she bought me some repro mugs for my birthday that year that, much to her chagrin, got me started on all this.

Anyway, I have a few mugs and aloha shirts, some Exotica and lounge stuff, and a great big case of tiki envy for Bay Area people with so many cool events going on all the time. I'm pretty limited in space at home, so I try not to buy too much to keep everyone happy. While I aspire to have a tiki fabulous life, the reality is a lot more limited. Oh well.

That's all for now. Mahalo!

"Loosen your belt, Robin -- running's not the only thing I do at super-speed!"
Kid Flash to Robin the Boy Wonder in
"DC Super-Stars #10: Strange Sports Stories"
http://ape-law.com/GAF/Page26/

[ Edited by: Tiki Fabulous on 2003-05-12 13:05 ]

Welcome aboard Tiki Fabulous! Polynesian Pop or SugarCaddyDaddy usually welcome new folks but those kids are probably tired from last weekends 'Tiki Oasis' so I'll step in for them.

On 2003-05-12 12:29, Tiki Fabulous wrote:
I'm pretty limited in space at home, so I try not to buy too much to keep everyone happy.

Use the rest of the space for stuff to put in those tiki mugs and keep yourself happy!

AC is right! I'm still recovering from the weekend although I didn't drink 1/2 as much as some of the others (Bong)... My hangover is more related to sleep deprivation.

Anyways, TikiFabulous and Can-Tiki-E Welcome to our disfunctional little tribe. TikiFabulous I have family in Seattle and make it up there every 12 months or so. We have a few Seattle Centralites here as well - Humuhumu, sweetpea, woofmutt, etc. Humuhumu is down here in So Cal now (she DROVE down Tiki Oasis III event).

Glad to have both of you on board!

Welcome, Tiki Fabulous, from your Northwest Tiki Bretheren!

T

We have been reading the posts on TC for awhile and have finally decided to register. My wife (Staci) and myself (Jason) are orignally from Cleveland and now we live in West L.A. We got into the whole Tiki scene about a year and a half ago. We have been to Mondo Tiki 2003 and Oasis III and had a blast. We can't wait for Oasis IV.

Mahalo,
Jason & Staci

Welcome to TC TikiPug, looks like you'll be part of the Hoity Toities. Cheers!!

Greetings everyone. It was great to meet lots of you at Oasis III like Rockin’ Robin, Dr. Z and Z Girl, Al, Shelley, Tina and other regulars on this board. My name’s Michele and I used to write about lounge/tiki culture for Flipside Fanzine in Los Angeles and Organs & Bongos based in Seattle and I used to live around the corner from Sven in Silverlake but I live in Glendale nowadays. Or maybe I should say I am Tiki Bob from So. Carolina's friend here in Los Angeles, as many of you know him. I am just as interested in all things pirate as I am in all things tiki and I’m trying to merge the two (if the gal who wants to merge goth and tiki can do it, why the hell not!) I got a great big pirate chest next to my bar – sounds weird but it works. Would love to meet up with others in the area and hope to attend any bar crawls or parties in So. Calif.

On behalf of Poly-pop (I've always wanted to do this) I'd like to welcome all Tiki/Pirate crossovers to Tiki Central. Of course you're a nobody unless you've got a full beard - black or red are the only ones that count. Shades of brown & you'll be sucking barnacles for breakfast. Ahoy there ship-shites! The only seamen you'll be washing off deck is my own.

Capn' Woody

T

On 2003-05-15 17:29, Trader Woody wrote:
On behalf of Poly-pop (I've always wanted to do this) I'd like to welcome all Tiki/Pirate crossovers to Tiki Central. Of course you're a nobody unless you've got a full beard - black or red are the only ones that count. Shades of brown & you'll be sucking barnacles for breakfast. Ahoy there ship-shites! The only seamen you'll be washing off deck is my own.

Capn' Woody

How much does a pirate pay for an ear piercing?

A buccaneer!

T

*On 2003-05-15 17:15, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:*My name’s Michele and I used to write about lounge/tiki culture for Flipside Fanzine in Los Angeles and Organs & Bongos based in Seattle and I used to live around the corner from Sven in Silverlake but I live in Glendale nowadays.

Ahoy Michelle! You probably already know about the HMS Bounty. Great bar in LA.

If you're ever up around the San Francisco Bay area there's a restaurant on the Oakland marina called Quinn's Lighthouse and they have a group playing and singing old sea chanteys and drinking songs on Thursday nights. Good food, great beer selection, free peanuts, and sea chantey sing-a-longs! Aaargh!

http://quinnslighthouse.citysearch.com/

Aloha,

Just decided to join after some checking in. In the mid-90s I used to live in Illinois, and would drive East a few times a year to visit family. My midway dinner stop was usually Columbus Ohio - and this is how I first discovered the Kahiki, which forever changed my life.

I've since explored the venues in the Chicago and Bay areas in my travels and have been a Tiki News subscriber for some time. I am currently languishing in most un-exotic Connecticut, where even the nearest quasi-tiki Chinese restaurant is still one state's drive away. Hence the need for a larger virtual community!

Mahalo nui,

Trader Mack

K
Kala posted on Fri, May 16, 2003 9:57 AM

Hi everyone! If you live near Temecula California, stop into my shop. I sell a lot of SHAG Gift Bags, cards, photobooks, Card Box sets, inventations.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies