Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

M

Oppps....
I didn't know that there was a proper way to join the list. Me so sorry!!

I think that tiki central is a great way to waste time... I love it!!

I am new to TC, but not new to tiki-culture.

Any other Polynesians out their?

Ahhhlooooohaaaa! to all lurkers and newbies alike.

Welcome!

Vic

My name's Brenda and I'm a Tikiholic. I'm also a newbie who made the social blunder of posting before an introduction was made. I too just found this tread. I've been a fan of tiki since the times of Gilligan, and even the Brady's bad luck could not keep me away from Tiki! I spend my time selling travel by day and Tiki-ing out at night. My husband and I enjoy French Polynesia and making our home in Woodland, CA our own Tikiland! What took me so long to find this great group? This is going to be fun!

Welcome to TC BendaTiki. So Woodland is northwest of Sacramento?

Aloha Bendatiki. Welcome to the tribe!

hay, i am a new tiki man. i found this thread while looking for tiki stuff to try n carve. I am big fan of los straitjackets, the ventures, the ocean, tikis, etc. For some reason i am was born, raised, and still reside in kentucky. go figure.

kentikione, Aloha! I like Los Straightjackets too. Good Stuff...

J
JonPez posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2003 3:36 AM

Aloha all!
Well, I did it. After promising over and over at the Hukilau that I would join, I finally did.
Glad to be amongst all the Tikiphiles here...
First post...won't be the last. :tiki:

T

Aloha and Mahalo!

I'm a small-time collector of tiki mugs, related tiki and have a few Shag prints. I love tikis bars, retro architecture and design. Never joined a message board before but can't think of a better place to start.

Just tryin' to have a little piece of Hawaii, a whole lotta fun and some rich tropical goodness here in ol' Beantown.

Trix

Welcome to the Tribe TrixieK. It's fun inside this Tiki world.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-07-02 08:05 ]

Hello all Tiki Lovers!!

I'm new to the Tiki Central Forum, and I can say honestly that I'm addicted to Tiki stuff!!

Anyway, I'm Jim from Phoenix!

Aloha,
Jim

C

Welcome Tahiti Jim from another tiki-crazed Phoenician!

IZ

Greetings. I've been lurking off and on for about a year now, but decided to jump in tonight with some postings.

I'm from Milwaukee soon to be moving to the Twin Cities. But first, I'm leaving for a vacation next week that helps explain what I'm about: Going from Milwaukee to Maine via Ft. Lauderdale and Boston. That's right, a two day stopover in Florida just to enjoy the magic of the Mai Kai, and a day in Boston to enjoy the Bali Hai and the Kowloon (and to check out a new Boston bar, the Tiki Room).

Aloha

New gal on the scene, just sayin' hi! I am fairly new to tiki--discovered it through my research on the Rat Pack in Vegas. Currently working on my master's thesis on that topic, and looking at tiki bars as part of it. Also just consider myself a burgeoning enthusiast looking to talk to other folks about tiki/lounge retro culture. Thanks!

On 2003-07-15 14:52, naughtykitty wrote:
discovered it through my research on the Rat Pack in Vegas. Currently working on my master's thesis on that topic

Pray tell naughtypussycat, what exactly might your degree be in, and what exactly do you plan to do with it besides hang it on the wall?

Master's in American studies. Not sure what comes next . . . hopefully museum work (something pop culture-y) but possibly a PhD in the future. The academic calendar is very nice, I must admit. :)

Welcome and aloha naughtykitty!

BR

Blank Reg here.
Live In the Bay Area.
Lived on Both coasts.
Been lurking here for a few weeks.
Been trying out the posted drink recipes on my wife and friends (What fun).
Some of ther Places I've seen or been to.
Tiki Gardens
Sunken Gardens
Cypress Gardens
Trader Vic's (Emeryville)
Trader Dicks (Reno)
Tonga Room (SF)
Hawaiian Village (Tampa) Long gone
The Caribbean.

One place I've never been is Hawaii (get there some day)

Welcome, welcome to the Tribe EyeZombie, naughtykitty, and Blank Reg.

PI

I live in FL. I've lurked for awhile and actually made a user name right before I went to the Hukilau :)

R

Hello All,
Been collecting tiki for only 3 years or so. Just moved from Arlington VA. down to Richmond VA. and in the process of turning my new dingy basement in to a proper lounge. Will post pictures once things start come together. I do have few photos of some Easter Island heads in my old back yard during a snowstorm posted at http://www.twistedlittlepuppy.com. Are there any tiki bars down here? I miss the Honolulu.

Aloha and welcome rwhgeek, Pomaikai and BlankReg!

Aloha from the Great White North. Sweet Daddy Tiki here from Edmonton, Canada (boyhood haunt of emspace. We've been in touch, reminisced about the Beachcomber Restaurant, even swapped stuff). I've been collecting tiki mugs & other polypop bric-a-brac for about 4-5 years -- just started picking up stuff that appealed to me at thrift stores while looking for other things (mostly records and amateur paintings). Considering how far this burg is from everything, Edmonton is not a bad place to find this stuff -- lots of folks vacationed in Hawaii & California in the 60's & if you hit the garage & estate sales in the right neighborhoods there's usually something to be found.

Welcome Sweet Daddy!

I hope your visit with us will be one of many, many more to follow!

Sit back, relax, and have a cocktail!

SugarCaddyDaddy

Welcome, Naughtykitty! I've been collecting Tiki for a while but just recently joined the Tiki Room. Things are so hot here in Las Vegas right now but I still manage to find some neat stuff here and there (check Tiki Finds under the Collecting Tiki Section). Is Kansas a Tiki Hotbed, or what? Let us know!!! Welcome and, as always, Happy Hunting!

E

Aloha and welcome, Sweet Daddy Tiki! Glad to see you made it here among our dysfunctional little crew (who usually says that, PolyPop?). Caught your thread with the link to the terrific pics of the suburban "Polynesian" room plans - they're keepers all right. I knew people with rooms like that back in the glorious 60s. And who knows, maybe Richard Nixon was Canadian, but in denial...

:), emspace.

Uhh, feeling dumb for just having posted a seperate thread to introduce myeslf. Should've started here instead. So anyway....Living inside the Beltway near DC and often found dreaming of Tiki's and rum (wife and I honeymooned in Barbados..). Amateur wookworker completly amazed with the Tiki's carved here and I must say a bit inspired to try it myself. Great work everybody!!

Hey All,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Zach, early 30's, I'm from the Metro-Detroit area. I used to make music for a living but now I have a "day job" (though I hope to return to it soon). I've been a fan of all things Tiki ever since my dad brought me back a mug from the Polynesian Resort at Disney World where he attended a convention back in 1980-ish. I began mixing exotic cocktails back in college because I was the guy with a blender (frozen Bacardi mixers & all) and that led to a serious interest in proper drink mixing. I hosted my first luau in 1993 and have been collecting for about 10 years. I've been reading this message board since it began and I'm just now typing my first post- Sad huh? I figure if I start posting, it might force me to start carving (something I've wanted to do for years) The carving posts have been very inspirational.
I hope to contribute something of value to this board, as it has helped me quite a bit.
-Z

Welcome to TC Zombified. Suck 'em up bruddah.

Welcome and aloha Sweet Daddy Tiki, ralphtiki and Feelin' Zombified.

P

When it's raining here in Tampa, and especially at night, I'll step outside for a smoke and sit at the bar, under the fan, surrounded by 30 or so palms lit dimly from the glow of the pool light and the low voltage light that shines on the carved 5 foot palm tiki at the entrance.
The masks and assorted oddities I've collected over the years seem to want to join in singing with the Hawaiian music that plays softly over the outdoor speakers.
I sip some tropical beverage and pretend that I'm in the Islands waiting for a dive in the morning.

Then, when I'm driving throught the mad traffic that Tampa has spawned through the influx of mutant yuppies and their "angry about having everything" progeny, I can hum a Hawaiian melody and think about my little hideaway, The Lagoon Lounge.

More and more, friends call during their busy weeks at their most stressed times and ask the simple question, "When's Tiki Time this week?"

My obsession began early - age 8 - dad brought me back a blue hawaiian shirt from the islands and took me to the Trader Vics in D.C.

Now he enjoys sitting at the Lagoon, although a tee-totaler, and watching his grandchildren and a few of his children sitting around playing ukes and various island percussion instruments and singing and swimming and eating lots of spam...

...well, not the spam. That's one part of the islands I haven't embraced.

Now I find a place on the web that gives me some of that same simple joy.
Thanks folks.

P.S. Kiliki and Swanky, congrats on the Hukilau - I ordered some matches and swizzle sticks from your site. Very cool. I'm dreadfully bummed that I missed the shindig but I just couldn't make it. I've already put next September on hold for it.

Welcome Pablus, thanks for sharing your story.

Tiki Pirate here, just got into Tiki, mainly through my intrest in carving, although I am quickly learning there is more to this than just wooden statues. Great forum you guys and gals have here.

Z

Hi- I'm a newbie to tikiland, but catching up fast after an evening at the Tonga room (Mai Tai good; band godamn awful)- It'll be trader Vics next-
Anyone know a good site for info on original tiki mugs?

Aloha all,

Hey Tiki Pirate, what part of Maryland are you in? The Maryland/Virginia/DC contingent of Tiki Central has a board as well for planning local events. http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com Stop by and introduce yourself.

Suburban Hipster,

I'm from the eastern shore...sadly a very tiki-barren bit of land. But I will certainly stop by your forum!

Just saying Aloha from Thrillville (www.thrillville.net). I'm pals with many current surfers in these waters who finally convinced me to dive on in.

I'm married to Monica, The Tiki Goddess. I like Tiki stuff in general, and always have, even before I knew exactly what Tiki meant. I want to live in Hawaii some day. I collect exotica LPs and own many aloha shirts.

Tabanga in "From Hell It Came" is one of my favorite monsters.

In case you're wondering where I got my user name - I'm not sure, it just dawned on me, though I think it was inspired by the infamous (in certain circles) under-water zombie scene in the Italian zombie epic, "Zombie" (1979) in which the undead swimmer first stalks a topless deep sea diving babe, then tangles with a shark (!). I don't know if it's Tiki (though it does take place off a tropical island), but I like it.

I think this tells you just about everything you need to know about me.

T

Hurray! Let me be the first to say, welcome to Tiki Central, AquaZombie!!!

Love the moniker (okay, pun intended!)

Lisa aka tikivixen

Anybody welcome ZedFish?.........HEY ZEDFISH, Welcome to TC, ALOOOOHA!

Welcome Tiki Pirate, zedfish and AquaZombie! Pablus,your story (almost) made me wish I lived in Florida! Aloha and welcome!

Aloha Nui!

I am new to the boards and pretty much new to Tiki. Thanks to reading here and various other places, you all have opened my eyes to the many varities of mugs and bowls and on and on.

Thank you everyone for helping feed my love of Tiki!

Cool Manchu

Hey all,

I am new to this board, livin' here in Houston, Texas like Formikahini.

Nice to meet ya!

E
ecm posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2003 7:10 PM

aloha....everyone , ecm...from hamilton ontario...canada

Cool Manchu, Daddy Coconut and ecm........ALOHA! WELCOME to TC.

E
ecm posted on Tue, Aug 5, 2003 7:49 PM

wow....everyone has such cool names , i should have been a bit more creative !
anyhow...thanks...this is a fun place .

G

Aloha from northern California! My husband, Johnny, and I have only begun to dabble in Tiki, though the drinks are tasty and the atmosphere is fabulous. We're lounge lizards of the vintage Vegas variety, so Tiki fits right in. Looking forward to getting all the latest scoop on Tiki -- and beyond -- from you pros!

T

Gin Atomic gets my vote for cool user name of the fortnight!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies