Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Teehee...fortnight! Those crazy Canadians and their wacky way of talking.

J
JTD posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2003 1:35 PM

ecm, there's nothing wrong with going by one's initials, although I've got a bit of username envy, too.

[ Edited by: JTD on 2003-08-06 13:36 ]

K

Hey all. John here. I live in Honolulu, in a building called (really) The Waikiki Tiki..although the only tiki is painted on the side of the building. I collect Hawaiian/exotica records/cds, play steel guitar, etc. I also enjoy watching old beauty pageant tapes..kitsch comes in many forms.

GinAtomic, Cool Manchu, Daddy Coconut, ecm -- Welcome to the tribe! :)

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2003 3:30 PM

I've been posting on TC for a couple of weeks and haven't officially introduced myself here....Juno from North TX, tiki is my most recent fixation. It really started with Martin Denny, Thor Heyerdahl and then The Book Of Tiki (thanks Sven). I have been to the islands one time (Maui) about 2 years ago but was not into tiki at all at the time. I've been trying to arrange a second visit...the best I've been able to do so far is Tribal Island in Myrtle Beach, SC (miniature golf). If anyone knows of any real tiki in the Dallas area PLEEZE let me know.
Mahalo

Aloha Kaiwaza!
Are you a local or a haole like me?
KG

G

Wowie! On the forum only a day, and already I'm getting "cool" votes...from a Canadian, even! You sure know how to make a wahine feel welcome...!

Kaiwaza and Juno, welcome to the tribe!

P

hello tiki people.I am not much of a talker, more a reader.See you at sams with my husband twt.

C

Relatively new to the tiki scene. Been lurking for a bit and decided to jump in. Will be at the Kona Kai on the 22nd, so I hope to meet some of you there.

BTW, is it too early to ask you guys to buy my stuff? J/K :wink: I'm still far too busy acquiring at this point. Anyway Hi, all!

"I drank what?!" - Socrates

[ Edited by: CornTiki on 2003-08-11 14:20 ]

On 2003-08-07 17:54, politiki wrote:
hello tiki people.I am not much of a talker, more a reader.See you at sams with my husband twt.

Hi Politiki,WELCOME!!!
Your married to Two Wheelin?
Were here to support you, any way we can. :)

P
Pooka posted on Mon, Aug 11, 2003 5:33 PM

Aloha Tiki-ites!
I have been lurking around for awhile and finally got around to joining. The hubby and I got into tiki a few years ago, when we decided to turn the guest bath into a tiki hut (complete with a Bamboo Ben Towel rack, thanks Ben!).... it has since seeped into the rest of the house.

Greetings all!

My name's Aaron, I've been doing the tiki thing since high school, much to the confusion of my classmates... Now it's hip with the college crowd... Natch...

I hail from Portland, OR, and am always looking for any quasi-island experience (including orgiastic worship of primitive idols and volcano sacrifices)...

Aaron...

On 2003-08-11 22:00, Sheikh Yerbouti wrote:
Greetings all!

I take it you're a Zappa fan? 8)

Hello all,
well I got an order for my tiki room fanzine from someone on this site, and decided I better check it out. Evidentally Hoahole Howard put up a plug for my fanzine (thanks Howard). This place is pretty spiffy, I will have to come back from time to time and look around. I had no idea there was such a large tiki culture out there...very cool! :)

Just graduated and moved to San Diego from Wisconsin. Looking to get involved with anything Tiki. I brought all my mugs, martin denny and esquivel records, and my hawaiian shirts. Ready to surf and get in the tiki loop!

Hi,
Paul from New Zealand, new to the board, closet Tiki fan from way back, plenty of pacific carvings/artwork down here but a bit of a lack of Tiki bars or anything real fun....

Hi everyone. I'm new here, well newly registered. I've been poking around here for a while. From sunny Los Angeles. I wish all of you well.

Hello fellow tiki enthusiasts,

My husband and I will be enjoying the festivities at Exotica 2003 and thought we should introduce ourselves. Per our username, I am Sally - he is Jay. We are both CPA's from the Bucktown area of Chicago.
Jay is an avid thrift score record collector and started our tiki interests with Martin Denny albums back when the REsearch "Incredibly Strange Music" books came out.
I am a vintage shopping queen with an eye for the 50's and 60's,pre '64 is a good rule of thumb - just like the car enthusiasts.
As par for the course we also collect Shag and may have met a few folks already at the Minneapolis show earlier this month.

Hope to meet some new people at Exotica.

Sally

Welcome to TC all you people, Shake yer booty, Tonguroa Tigertail, Northwoods surfer dude, Unkle Sammy, Plastikus Autisticus, Sally & Jay, Kaiwaza, Juno, Gin Atomic, Politiki, and Corn. Sheesh!

M

Smiles everyone....
Welcome to Fantasy Island
:tiki:

O

Hi all. Stumbled upon this site after link-hopping for awhile. It's nice to see so many people into all things tiki and lounge.

[ Edited by: Obake on 2003-08-22 10:21 ]

Aloha Obake...
Welcome aboard

Good morning/afternoon/evening from the California desert, where the Tiki culture is... uhm... hmmm... buried in dust. Or maybe the scorpions carted it off.

I've been lurking on this board and decided to plunge in after seeing some delightful posts about places from my past in Orange County, CA.

waves Does anyone have a palm frond fan? Lordy, it gets hot out here.

D

Welcome. Which California Desert are you in? (high or low)

I'm out in the High Desert, near Mojave - have been here about 15 years.

Welcome to TC Obake and DessertFlamingo. I just had Chocolate Silk for dessert. mmmm. Speakin' of pink, I just saw a front yard that had about 10 pink flamingos stuck in the lawn. How tacky, but delightful. And how about the Royal Hawaiian in Hawaii. Everything is pink, the waiters and waitresses wear pink, you can order pink beer and mai tai's. Pink napkins, pink rooms. Oh jeez, this isn't about pink is it? This is about welcoming you to TC. ALOOOOHA! Just teasing about the dessert spelling, I've had a couple glasses of wine now I'm ready to have a few more. hiccup

Hey Now Everyone,

Greetings from the smallest state in the union, Rhode Island. We may be the smallest but we have the longest official name (Rhode Island and Providence Plantations). We're a bit lacking in the Tiki department around here, but the search is half the fun. :)

Hello Midway Cafe and Desert Flamingo, Glad tah meet yah!!

Hi, my name is Tim Stucky. My wife and I live in Southern California. I spend my working hours toiling in a genetics lab, but on my personal time, I like to go to thrift stores, coffee houses, public parks, museums, and other places that relax me or inspire me creatively. I enjoy composing electronic music, collecting action figures and sci-fi toys, writing, going to Disneyland, and driving around Southern California searching for mid-century architechture. Growing up in SoCal, I was surrounded by (the now vanishing) Tiki culture of the 50's and 60's. Restaurants, motels, apartments, bars and bowling alleys were an early introduction to my American version of Polynesia. In the past few years, my wife and I have been actively adding to our collection of tiki mugs and decor, and have attended most of the area's Tiki events and gallery exhibits. We recently returned from the Hukilau 2003 in Ft. Lauderdale. The Mai Kai topped our highest expectaions and we met a whole new bunch of wonderful Tiki enthusiasts. After about a year of reading posts on TC, I finally took the moment to register. Thanks for having me!! TikiTimbo

Welcome aboard TikiTimbo! Aloha!

Just returned from Exotica 2003, a great big awesome blowout. This trip seals my affiliation, affection and obssession with all things Tiki and with this post i be an official Tiki Centralite;)
Aloooohaaaa!

Welcome to T.C.
Tiki Timbo and Primo King!
You're gonna love it here.

Welcome to T.C. Tiki Timbo and Primo King!
You're gonna love it here.

Hi ya'll,
I'm a tiki lover trapped in the middle of nowhere. Actaully, I'm in Piney Flats, TN and bored out of my mind.

I have been surfing around on this site and finally decided to get involved.

I love old Hawaii movies (eventhough I have never been). My favorites are all of the Elvis movies. Friends say I that I resemble Ann Margaret from that time. They call me Miss Flame because I won a beatuy pagent at ETSU for redheads.

Anywho, I just wanted to say "HI" and meet some new folks.

XXOO,

[ Edited by: Miss Flame on 2003-08-30 19:54 ]

Welcome to TikiCentral Midway Cafe, TikiTimbo, Primo Kimo and Ms. Flame. Fix yourself a drink, kick back, and live it up.

Welcome Miss Flame!

Holy Moly Mama! Ann Margret! (yes, "g-r-e-t")

She was one of the two "all ages" Las Vegas Shows that I saw when I was under 18 years old (the other being Sammy Davis, Jr.).

That is one sexy woman if I do say so myself! I believe the animators for The Flintstones thought so too. Remember how "Ann Margrock" looked? Yowzah!

Have fun Miss Flame!

Hello,

My name is George, and I only recently got into tiki. Some how I got sucked into it through my love of old lounge records and 50s rock n roll. Now I love collecting tiki mugs and statues.

I put out my own e-zine called Life In A Bungalo that covers pretty much anything related to modern garage and punk rock. And I hope to eventually have some tiki involved in it.

Thanks.

George Koroneos
http://www.lifeinabungalo.com

UB

Hi Miss Flame,
Welcome to T.C.!
You must have some Irish in you to posses such flaming locks.
Hope you enjoy yourself here.
Unga

On 2003-09-02 10:24, liabungalo wrote:
Hello,

My name is George, and I only recently got into tiki. Some how I got sucked into it through my love of old lounge records and 50s rock n roll. Now I love collecting tiki mugs and statues.

I put out my own e-zine called Life In A Bungalo that covers pretty much anything related to modern garage and punk rock. And I hope to eventually have some tiki involved in it.

Thanks.

George Koroneos
http://www.lifeinabungalo.com

Hi Bungalo George! Nice website, but you need more coverage of the Staten Island scene. BWAHAHAHA! Hahaha... heh! I kill me...

No, really, welcome to Tiki Central, George.

A

Hi All,
I've been into tiki since, well since I was born in Honolulu. Only recently have I discovered this site while searching for info on the SHAG Disney event. After coming back every day to read stuff, I figured I might as well join.

I'm the proud owner of a Tiki Room myself and after I finish the japanese garden in the backyard, I'll get down to finishing the Tiki Garden on the side, which the Tiki Room looks on, of course. In a few years I hope to start making stuff with our bamboo.
A

Aloha

My nerd name is Scott. I'm from Cocoa FL. I have been collecting for about five years, and painting tiki related material for about four years. I enjoy everything tiki. Since Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale I have been painting like a madman and working on a website mostly devoted to the mighty tiki. Check it out.

Flounder

Original Art by Flounder
flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-09-10 15:25 ]

Welcome FLOUNDERart
Nice Art.
Nice Mug Collection, and
Nice Hat. (I gots to get me one of those hats)
:drink: Aloha!

Hiya!

I'm new to the whole tiki scene, but I have admired from afar for quite a while. I'm from the Detroit area, and I would like to know about any tiki places around here...I don't think there are any that are still open from what I have been reading?

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and I look forward to making many new friends!

:)

Welcome flounder and ampersand!!!!

Welcome Flounder,
Cool Painting

S
SES posted on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 5:16 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies