Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Hey Now SES,

Welcome! It's good to have another member from "Little Rhody". Are your jewelry designs/products precious or costume? I'm a modelmaker that does 98% costume.

Again, welcome!

Tim

S
SES posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2003 5:39 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:09 ]

T

OK I think i screwed up all ready! :) Ooops! Somehow I ended up making a new topic instead of Saying Hello... Aloha!

Any one know much about Edgar Leeteg?

[ Edited by: titamom on 2003-09-16 17:44 ]

S
SES posted on Tue, Sep 16, 2003 5:51 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:11 ]

P

Aloha and welcome.
I'm only allowed to welcome you because I passed my 20th post.

Back in the day when I joined - we had to drink 12 Mai Tais on an empty stomach.
We had to sing in Hawaiian for 20 minutes.
We had to eat all of Martin Denny's vinyl releases.
We had to quote the chapter "A Luau on the Mainland" from Trader Vics Book of Food and Drink... THE 2nd EDITION.

Gee willikers and Auwe - you guys got it easy.

Welcome.

Aloha, I've just joined this forum. I was under the name 'throbbing Tiki' but I've decided to take the name of my cool carving in my garden. So I am now Kon-Hemsby.
Looking forward to all things Tiki and alcohol related.

Welcome Kon-Hemsby!

I also go by the name "throbbing Tiki" when I walk about my garden early in the morning. (But my fiancee' would rather I not mention it so often). Welcome to the family and hope to hear more from you soon.

Sabu

Aloha,

Been into Tiki for a number of years and have been checking out the forum for a while but have only just got round to signing up.
Collecting in England is a near impossible task, so we rely on our far to infrequent trips to California, and unfortunately Ebay when that itch needs a scratch!
Look out for a few posts over the coming weeks of my girlfriends cool Tiki paintings, and maybe 1 or 2 pictures of our humble pad.
We have booked for Tiki Oasis 2004 and hope to meet up with some of you then.

S

Hi, I'm new here :D

Met several cool Tiki Central posters in line at Disneyland for the Shag event, so I decided to sign up.

Looking forward to some So Cal tiki events.

I am relatively new to the "sport" of tiki collecting. My obsession has led me to the discovery of local flea markets and ultimately e-bay. After reading the forum for several months, I find it comforting to see that I'm not the only one with this affliction.

[ Edited by: cocktailmonkey 2006-01-19 23:52 ]

Aloha!

I am a fan of Walt Disney's Tiki Room (hence the handle), but also love all things Tiki. Since I don't drink alcohol, I don't get out to many bars--which is a shame because I love the whole Tiki ambience.

I joined after meeting up with members at Disneyland on the Tiki Room's REAL anniversary in June, and the Shag event last weekend.

T

Just wanted to say Hi to all of you from olde France. Oh la la, not a lot of Tikis in the area but we have our own handmade tiki bar at home, and some booze for Mai Tais. Talk to you soon.

TikiFROG !?!?!?!?!
HAHAHAHAHA snort...I love it! :lol:
Bienvenu!

Merci Purple Jade.

avast mateys!... oops, i'm a week and 1/2 late :P

johnny dollar's the name, mixology's the game.

moved this year to balmer, merlin. baltimore is not a haven to public tikiocity, but it lurks in non-regulated shadows.

baltimore rocks, particularly ham(p)den and points south.

tiki bar in the works in our vintage 1940 abode.

mahalo! pax vobiscum! j$

I
Iolani posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 9:44 AM

Howdy and aloha. O Iolani ko'u inoa, keiki o ka aina wau. Aka i kela manawa, noho au i Virginia. Whassup, tikimen and tikiwomen?

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 1:19 PM

Aloha J$ and Iolani!

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:37 ]

Welcome new members. 1369 strong.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

H
Hina posted on Thu, Oct 2, 2003 10:54 AM

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I too, have crawled out of the primordial ooze since the Shag/ Tiki Room event but have been reading and enjoying this forum for a while now.
It's nice to see so many who share my long time love for everything Tiki.

New Member, long time tiki lover.

Some of my first memories are a visit to Trader Vic's with my parents in 1973. Always loved the Tiki Room at Disney.

Now I'm building a house and my wife said the office is all mine to decorate. So I finally get my dream of a "Tropical Room"

To all the old timer Tiki Forum members, thanks for all the great reading and inspiration.

Tiki Flange!

I've been watching you folks for some time now. I always find these discussion boards entertaining and informative (entormative?)

I've just started "really" collecting and have been driving all my friends crazy. They think it's cool and all, but I just don't shut up about it. At least here I can feel like I'm among my bretheren.

I live up in Alberta, Canada. Lovely place, but kinda barren of tiki. The one Tiki bar here is weird and all post-modernish. I wonder what "Tiki Road Trip" has to say about it?...

T

Welcome Slacks! (I love that name)

Have you been to Prince George, BC? There's a tropical themed motel and restaurant called Esther's Inn. I have not been there but I heard about it in a travel book and I'm curious. The dining page on their web site shows a restaurant with some spears and other objects on the wall and they mention a "Monsoons Lounge". The interior courtyard looks great but I don't know if there are any tikis on the grounds. I'm not sure how far it is from you but it may be worth a weekend trip.

http://www.esthersinn.bc.ca/

Greetings to all. I'm new to the board, but a longtime tiki afficianado. As for location, I'm close enough to Tiki Ti's to make a difference.

Cheers!

Thanks Jab!
I'm gonna try to make it up to Prince George, BC and check out Esthers. Once I do, I'll post my report.

Greetings Slacks.

I was just moaning to a friend about how few Canucks there are on TC (I'm trying to "recruit" him). Great to have another Albertan aboard!

Sweet Daddy T.

Thanks Sweet Daddy Tiki

It's great to be here and to feel so welcome. Do you have any good tips on where to find tiki in Edmonton? I head up there every now and then when I visit my folks.
Of course, I don't wanna cut into yr share. I'm sure it's few and far between like here in Calgary...

Cheers!

Slacks

T

Yes, I have been abstaining for a while, and I feel that I am now "shiny and new". New username, new email, new fresh powder in my mind awaiting the footprints of the mighty tiki gods. How could I have stayed away for so long? Can the gods forgive me? Will the new altar under construction appease their wrath? Will anyone remember a wahine formerly known as daisymay? Only the great Tiki knows...

Daisymay?!!! Is that really you??? Welcome back!! How long has it been? 2-3 years?

For those who don't know, Daisymay co-founded Tiki Central with Hanford back when it was a club on Yahoo.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-10-05 20:29 ]

*On 2003-10-05 16:19, Slacks Ferret wrote:*Do you have any good tips on where to find tiki in Edmonton? I head up there every now and then when I visit my folks. Of course, I don't wanna cut into yr share. I'm sure it's few and far between like here in Calgary...

I'm glad you threw in that last bit -- I'd hate to see a bloody gangland war for control of Alberta's Tiki turf. As we're both gentlemen, let's agree to this: you control everything Tiki from Red Deer south, and I'll control the northern half of the province. And if that pesky coconutz gives you any trouble, I'll lend you a few of my boys to help you take care of him.

Seriously, the thrift stores here are not bad, I've found some cool stuff recently (see my posts in Collecting Tiki). I go to several thrift stores quite regularly. I'm not gonna tell you which ones, but I won't get upset if you scoop me on something.

Let me know when you come to town & maybe we can hit the Tropika for a Mai Tai or two.

T

On 2003-10-05 20:22, PolynesianPop wrote:
Daisymay?!!! Is that really you??? Welcome back!! How long has it been? 2-3 years?

For those who don't know, Daisymay co-founded Tiki Central with Hanford back when it was a club on Yahoo.

**Poly-Pop ***

Yes, it's me. I think it has been about a year or so. I guess I have some reading to do, so my next post should be in another year. Quick, somebody get me a :drink:!

E

On 2003-10-02 21:25, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I live up in Alberta, Canada. Lovely place, but kinda barren of tiki. The one Tiki bar here is weird and all post-modernish. I wonder what "Tiki Road Trip" has to say about it?...

Welcome Slacks! Calgary, where I was born and my Mom and most of my family still live. Still haven't been to whatstitcalled...Bamboo Tiki Room, maybe we'll be coming up in February though and I'll check it out. James gives it a mention in "Road Trip", but hasn't been there so no review. Maybe you could send him one for the next edition. Good luck on hunting, the stuff lurks out there (my Mom got me a nice PMP not long ago), but persistence and frequency of thrifting are the only way in Canada.

aloha,
emspace.

hello tiki folk!

Bonjour Femme Tiki. Can you tell us something about yourself?

Aloha La Femme Tiki. Welcome to da jungle.

Hi. I like cheese.

Oh yeah, and tikis.

Aloha!
My partner and I recently settled in Los Angeles and were so excited to begin exploring the rich tiki culture of yesteryear and today. We started making the rounds to the SoCal tiki shrines including the Caliente Tropics where we met our new tiki friends (Al, Shelly & Tina) on a fated night for an impromptu libations luau. We'll never forget that magical night and are happy to be a part of the tiki family. We can't wait to meet the rest of you at upcoming events.

Best Wishes,
TJ & Jay

T

Welcome TJ and Jay from LA!

And welcome to more Canadian tikiphiles!!!

But where are all my Toronto peeps hiding?

Sigh.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2003 8:38 PM

Hey

I stumbled onto this site in a google search. Lucky me! :)

The "Creating Tiki" forum has really got me primed to try some carving. Tikis are kinda hard to find in Florida (for me at least) so why not make my own?

I had my first trip to Oahu a couple of weeks ago and will post some of my finds in the "Collecting Tiki" forum when I get the ol' digi camera fired up.

Mahalo for this great forum! :tiki:

Kono, you're not all that far from the legendary Wayne Coombs' Mai Tiki in Cocoa Beach.

I thought I did this post whilst at work, but I guess not.

My name is Unkle John...i'm pretty darned plowed right now....too many of my own recipes to sample.

I'll update when i'm sober.. and on a faster connection :wink:

aloha, i'm a tiki central first-timer from berlin/germany. we're planning to open a tiki bar here early next year so i probably have a thousand questions to all the nice tiki folks out there. Anyone interested to design our trademark tiki (will be used for our 10' carving outside,mug,swizzle sticks etc.)? please let me know.

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 5:10 AM

[ Edited by: SES on 2004-01-05 19:03 ]

TM

Aloha! I'm the Tiki Mon, carver of palmwood tikis and maker of fantastic rum runners. Actually, I'm just a Florida guy whose trying to feed his kids and pay bills through his artwork. If you haven't seen my tikis yet please check out http://www.tikimon.net.

Great forum!

-Tiki Mon

Hello all,

nice fishy here, by way of Long Island. A place in serious need of tiki culture.

On 2003-10-31 19:46, nice fishy wrote:
Hello all,
nice fishy here, by way of Long Island. A place in serious need of tiki culture.

Welcome to TC Fishey!
Didn't Coney Island have some Tiki culture in "it's time"?

Welcome nice fishy!
Good to know you're a nice fishy...don't need no nasty fishies here (except Tikifish, who can on occasion be a bit ribald.)

You are correct about Coney Island, Unga Bunga, but once you head east, tiki culture quickly dries up. Pretty sad for an island.

Thanks for the welcome Purple Jade, I feel at home already.

Kaiserstyle, I would be interested in designing your logo. I've been a designer for 15 years so far. Lets talk.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies