Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

kaiserstyle, didn't see your post earlier.
Welcome, and good luck with that bar!

T

What the hell does ribald mean?

F

Kaiserstyle,

Sorry I missed your post too. I may be moving to Germany in a year or two after I get married to my very own Krazy Kraut. If so I will definitely head over to your place in Berlin to soothe any Tiki cravings. Keep us updated!

-Shannon

What, they don't have dictionaries in Canada?
Or at least reruns of SNL, the Lovitz years?

ribald-
1.[n] a ribald person; someone who uses vulgar and offensive language
2.[adj] humorously vulgar; "bawdy songs";"off-color jokes";"ribald language"

I of course meant 2.

Wilkommen kaiserstyle. Ich bin ein Kalifornian. Unser Governor ist jetz ein Austrian. Arnold Schwarzenegger - der kaiser von Kalifornia.

Hi all

My name is Scott, I would like to test this new registation out.

Ok, go ahead and test it, but if it doesn't pick up all the dirt you just threw on the carpet, I'm siccing the dog on you.
(Welcome, Scott Bike Shack :) )

On 2003-11-02 17:37, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Wilkommen kaiserstyle. Ich bin ein Kalifornian. Unser Governor ist jetz ein Austrian. Arnold Schwarzenegger - der kaiser von Kalifornia.

Jello Biafra must feel very prophetic these days...

Wie Geht's kaiserstyle - wo in Berlin sind Sie Ihr tiki-gasthouse öffnend?
Veilliecht können Sie ein Mauer-Moai errichten :)

Spater ~ Johnny Dollar

T

Hi, I'm a newbie and so here's my blurb. I got my nickname from tending bar in a tikibar at burningman. Now I have atiki bar in my home and I recently landscaped my yard for my luau/wedding reception.
:tiki:

Welcome to TC tikiangi.

I hope to go to burningman next year.

Have a look around, you'll probably meet other TCer's in your area.

aloha!
brand spanking new tikifreak here, experiencing this site for the first time. where have i been...how did i miss this place for so long? ive been a hardcore tiki purveyor for 5 years now, with my passion lying with stockton islander vessels. i dig mr. bongo (still searching for a suitable record player to play the record!), and i am a self-proclaimed mai tai expert taste tester. other interests include moderne streamline art deco (40's primarily), vintage clothing, atomic tiki lounges, exploitation movies from the 70's, and those thirst-quenching thrift store tiki finds.

glad to be here and excited to participate!

On 2003-11-13 22:52, tikicleen wrote:
aloha!
brand spanking new tikifreak here, experiencing this site for the first time. where have i been...how did i miss this place for so long? ive been a hardcore tiki purveyor for 5 years now, with my passion lying with stockton islander vessels. i dig mr. bongo (still searching for a suitable record player to play the record!), and i am a self-proclaimed mai tai expert taste tester. other interests include moderne streamline art deco (40's primarily), vintage clothing, atomic tiki lounges, exploitation movies from the 70's, and those thirst-quenching thrift store tiki finds.

glad to be here and excited to participate!

you have been assimilated...

Tikicleen, holy moly, I'm not alone after all. Welcome aboard and where the hell ya' been all these years? Must get together for grog and grub. I'm in Turdlock.

hey, thanks for the welcome guys. i guess that this is one situation that is good to be assimilated (i think) :drink:

hey jt--cant belive you are so close! i checked out your website/business. nice work! also saw your pictures from your summer swinging tiki shin-dig, ive been dreaming of hosting a party like that. i just bought a house in ripon (i had been living in an apartment in stockton...not one of the ghetto tiki one's mind you) im in the process of unpacking the boxes and boxes of tikis ive accumulated over the years. i actually work in modesto....do you go to the tiki?

:tiki: cleen

[ Edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-14 12:08 ]

S

Relatively new to the site. I'm a So. Cal native who has been down with the tiki ever since I was a wee lad and saw Greg Brady wipe out with one around his neck. Maybe meet some of you at the Tiki Ti next week for Mile's painting unveiling

DZ

Sirginn-- whereabouts are you in Redondo? North? South? We (myself, Z-Girl and Humuhumu) are just a few blocks up from Bristol Farms in South Redondo. There are more and more TC'ers showing up in the South Bay, and we get together to do stuff quite often! Drop me a line and I'll have you over for cocktails or somethin'...

Cleen, I'll send ya' an e-mail or Personal Message. (See the "Personal Message" link at the top of this page.) I go to Minnie's on McHenry more often then The Tiki. Look for a PM (You'll have to Log-in to see it.}

S

DoctorZ-
I am in South Redondo, living on the Esplanade. If I'm not working, I am always down for a frosty beverage. Keep me in the loop on the So. Bay activities.

I am a new member, a raw recruit joine 08-11-03, so go easy on me you jokers. OK! :)

Bonzbazza, look for the thread below says "Welcome Bonzabazza", in the Main Discussion Forum. There's a question for you.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-11-17 08:35 ]

Aloha Everyone,

My name is Ulianna from SoCal. I am a new member and just moved to Long Beach from Oahu. I just love this site. I had browse through some of the forums and I love the different cultures.

Mahalo

Aloha Ulianna
Welcome to Tiki Central and SoCal. You'll love Long Beach. A lot of da TC ohana lives up & around there.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-11-22 00:26 ]

Hallooo..

I'm new.. From the Tiki wasteland that is the great white north.. Former lurker on the Tiki Central yahoo group.. Nice to meet everyone!

D

Welcome back Velvet Ruby :drink:

Aloha Velvet Ruby!
I think we need to team up and star in our own graphic novel.

M

hiya all,
im andrew, sometime lurker who has finally succumbed to the offshore breezes of tikicentral. i met some of y'all at the Tiki Ti in my hometown, during miles thompsons signing - -your ambassadors were so swell, figured i should peek in the hut and say hi!
cheers!

Aloha,

Long time reader,first time poster(on the urging's on one Mr. Tikimaxton!!).

Collecting Tiki for awhile, lived in Hawaii when I was a little "haolie", still love the Pacific Rim! So much so I have a tiki arm band tattoo!!! See you on the boards - Surf's Up!!

First it was Ultra Lounge CDs about a year ago, then I fell in love with a portable tiki bar I saw for sale in a gift shop for about $1900 (have gone back to visit it about 5 times now, can't purchase yet) and have been day dreaming ever since how fun it would be to create a tiki bar room out of my dining room we don't use.

Then I was at Half Price Books yesterday and there it was, The Book of Tiki. My life is forever changed. I started hunting tiki on the Internet and found among others, Tiki Farm, I want it all.

I just have to have my tiki bar. I had no idea I would be sucked in by the power of TiKi! What is happening to me? I couldn't even sleep last night. I am tiki crazed! Now I've decided to do the hall bath and back yard in tiki too, couldn't stop brainstorming. Can't wait to get my hands on a chainsaw and make my own tikis. I'm telling you, I have suddenly gone bananas.

I live in the Dallas, TX area and I don't know of any tiki bars here, but I will be in Austin on Saturday, where is that Oceans 11 place? Husband is willing to be an enabler to my new addiction, says he will take me there.

Stepson at breakfast this morning asked, "What is tiki?" Husband answered, "Something that is going to cost me a lot of money."

GoneNative, ALOHA and Howdy!
If you need any questions awnsered about tiki locations and good thrift shops, just ask myself, juno, TikiMikey, or any of the quiet Dallas tikiphiles. But general questions will be happy awnsered by any of us.
So how's your collection?

I got that book yesterday, and that is it, I mean, I am hooked - less than 24 hours ago, I just realized I had a passion for it and what it was, I didn't even know until I saw that book yesterday. I've been enjoying my Ultra Lounge music and lusting after a tiki bar, never realizing there was a whole culture to be explored here.

Where is a good place to start? I loved the stuff I saw on Tiki Farm, it looked high quality. I don't care for the plastic mugs, I would like a little bit of marketing memorabilia, the tiki bar I saw in the gift shop - too cool, bar counter is in the shape of a boomerang - probably some of that Shag person's art, and a few shelves of mugs and other collectibles. Gotta have the bar, stock the bar, and get some mai tais concocted. I love to throw theme parties - when I can get some of this together, I will always have a party ready to go!

I am day dreaming of a volcano to hang on the wall, plugs in, looks like it erupts over and over, made with neon or something, maybe the volcano is just part of a larger piece of art or advertising. Ever seen anything like that? Also, does anyone sell any shelving with a little dim, colored indirect lighting built into it so that it shines on or behind the collectibles? That would be cool. Just ideas to get me started. I am not ready to install a fish tank, but I think I would like to replace the curtains in that room with some thatching, looks like that could get a little expensive.

A

-Stepson at breakfast this morning asked, "What is tiki?" Husband answered, "Something that is going to cost me a lot of money." -

Glad he's figured it out so quickly!
Welcome,
A

Aloha,

I just joined Tiki Central. I've enjoyed your posted messages, especially GoneNative, and decided to join.

Like many tikiheads out there my interest in the whole scene started in childhood. Growing up in the San Fernando Valley out of L.A. my parents and their friends had the tropically decorated backyards and patio bars. I remember many a summer night as a kid as our WWII generation parents partied it up with the tropical drinks and the Louis Prima records. I also remember the trips to the Magic Kingdom and the Enchanted Tikiroom.

Over the years all this had been forgotten, until about a year ago when a friend of mine introduced me to Ultra Lounge. I picked up "Mondo Exotica" and the tiki memories returned like a flood of lava.

Career and family have kept me from indulging much in tikihood, but I do what I can. Living on the Central Coast of California I haven't found much Tiki, so I usually end up surfing the electronic Pacific with a cold tropical cocktail while listening to exotica. However, recently I visited Palm Springs for a conference (leaving the family at home!) and found a great little tiki lounge called "The Reef". It's located poolside at the Caliente Tropics motel. What a great place! If you've been there you know what I mean, and if you haven't, you've got to go!

Well, this is enough for now. Just want to say it's great to be on board and hope to hear more from all of you!

Mahalo,

TikiSteve

TikiSteve,
Welcome aboard.
Be sure and check out the Tropic's website and do a search of postings on "the Tiki Oasis" held there.
:drink: Aloha!

O

Aloha fellow Tikiphiles,
We've been reading the posts for awhile now and have enjoyed them greatly. We have finally decided to join and get into the swing of things. We live in sunny San Diego and are hoping to catch up with some of you at the Bali Hai on Friday. We love that place!! We were bitten by the tiki bug about five years ago and now have Tiki in every part of our life. We have dedicated our entire yard and most of our home to tiki. Our fully stocked tiki bar is called the Ona Tiki Lounge. Hope to get to know some of you so you can enjoy the Ona Tiki too.
Moki & Ric

Welcome all new members! Feel free to post pics of your "stuff" here on TC, (backyards, tikis, paintings, mugs, hot hula girls, bars, etc.)

Aloha Moki & Ric,
We plan on dropping by the Bali Hai tomorrow about 7ish. Hope to see you there.
Terry & Sally

I followed the flicker of the tiki torches and ended up here. I'm Mai Kai 'na Girl and I've been browsing T.C. on & off for a year now and just recently felt the urge to speak.

I was introduced to the beauty of tiki as a child growing up in Fort Lauderdale within view of the Mai Kai's splendid architecture and fantastic tiki. These primitive figures stirred one wild child's imagination and no doubt contributed to a passion for nostalgia that has long been an undercurrent in my life.

in other words -

I like old stuff & stiff drinks. Any questions, boys?

P

No questions.

Just an "aloha."

O

Welcome Mai Kai'na Girl,
We hope you find this group as friendly as we have. :D Lots of interesting people here. Enjoy.
Aloha
:sheckymug:

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2003-12-01 00:35 ]

Aloha Mai-Kaina GRRRL Hope U have some tikiriffic times here.

B

ummm...ALOHA!? I just found this board while looking through some other tiki related sites. I figured I had better post an intro, so here it is. I've been drawn towards tikis and tiki related things for about 6 years now...I'm not sure what the fixation is...just know that I dig them. I have a couple tiki tattoos that some really talented friends put on my legs. I'm a sign painter/pinstriper/blue collar artist...in that order. I dig traditional hot rods and customs and American roots-type tunes. I'm really amazed at the artistic talent here!! Definitely gonna be a great place to soak up some inspiration! Hope this wasn't too long winded...

Welcome Barnett!
Not too long-winded at all, a very nice introduction.

hot rodders rule!

when you get a chance, a post of the tiki tattoos would be swell.

johnny dollar

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-03 06:30 ]

On 2003-12-03 00:06, BARNETT wrote:
ummm...ALOHA!? I just found this board while looking through some other tiki related sites. I figured I had better post an intro, so here it is. I've been drawn towards tikis and tiki related things for about 6 years now...I'm not sure what the fixation is...just know that I dig them. I have a couple tiki tattoos that some really talented friends put on my legs. I'm a sign painter/pinstriper/blue collar artist...in that order. I dig traditional hot rods and customs and American roots-type tunes. I'm really amazed at the artistic talent here!! Definitely gonna be a great place to soak up some inspiration! Hope this wasn't too long winded...

Hey tiki-cats! I'm also a sign painter / pinstriper / artist. I'm kind of new here as well. It's nice to meet a fellow pinstriper (Barnett). I posted some a while back, but plan on spending more time here at TC on a regular basis. It's a very interesting place with lots of great people. My site address is:

http://www.samgambino.com

UJ

I'm a sign painter/pinstriper/blue collar artist...in that order. I dig traditional hot rods and customs and American roots-type tunes.

Well at least I'm not the only sign artist (though i work with vinyl) around here. Lets see there are now offically two guys from Texas who know about kick ass hot rods, good music and tikis. And sign artists to boot.
But only one is in Outhouse Moan.

Hey how did that plug get there!?

B

Thanks for the welcome. Good to see some fellow Texans AND other sign artists, too! I'll get my wife to take a pic of the tattoos and then I'll see if I can figure out the posting procedure here...I'm pretty computer stupid. To add to my computer stupidity, I have one of those iMacs and the mouse doesn't have right and left click...so I'll have to find out what keys are gonna do the job. Sad, huh? Too much time painting, not enough time catching up with technology. :-?

Barnett, to "right click" on a Mac, hold down the control key while clicking. I'm on a G4. Once you go Mac, you don't go back I always say!

http://www.samgambino.com

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem ... but it isn't my problem - the tiki made me do it!

Hello all - I'm not really "new" in that I've been lurking for awhile, and enjoying many of the threads here on tiki central. I'm a tiki-phile living down here in S. Florida (Fort Lauderdale more or less) about 15 minutes from the Mai-Kai. I'm converting my yard into tiki gardens little by little, and my back room into a very large tiki bar. Should be fun. Should annoy my cowboy wannabe neighbors no end - I don't think they like Martin Denny. I also have a website that is dedicated to tiki, and where I'll be putting up electronic copies of some of the great (historical) Hawaiian Holiday Scrapbooks that I've managed to collect. Don't know if anyone is interested, but I recently started a tikiblog in my ongoing quest for tiki consciousness. Anyway, that's about it, just doesn't get any better than tiki!

[email protected]
http://www.cybertiki.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies