Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

Whoa! When my friends and I met you all on the first night of your tiki crawl a few weeks ago at Trader Sam's I had NO IDEA what a MASSIVE and impressive group you all are!

I'm so glad to be moving to the bay area knowing that there are like minded folks out that way - Since my man Jimmy Buffett doesn't play shows in the vacinity I'm going to have to exercise my tropical drinking muscles at the city's many fine tiki bars.

Look forward to seeing some of you out and about!

Welcome to TC creolescience, crataegus and browngirl. Browngirl, were you on the bus Sat. night?

On 2004-04-12 11:55, creolescience wrote:
I'm interested in learning more about the "Tiki Philosophy" but don't know where to start.

Welcome to TC. To walk you must crawl first! Of course if you do it right, you'll be crawling again from time to time. :)

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-04-18 01:14 ]

hey browngirl! didn't i meet you at the little grass shack on kealakekua bay?

D

Hi everyone! Dano (like in "Book'em Dano") here. Coming to you from So. Cal. After tagging everything doing with "Tiki" in my Favorites, I ended up here (actually spied along time, before joining). Purchased a "Bamboo Ben" bar and was on my way. Love the Tiki Lifestyle (laid back, booze, parties, booze, warm island breezes, booze, and of course beautiful women).

Bartender! I see light through my glass - mind the gap! The bottle stands near you!

[ Edited by: Dano on 2004-04-21 10:39 ]

Book 'em Dano....couldn't resist. Welcome Dano, many brethen down your way.

D

Not that I know of . . . but working on it! I'll have my first Tiki Party this summer and try to convert the civs. . . Ah, just noticed, there was no question mark at the end of your sentence. Can't wait to meet you all!

Bartender! I see light through my glass - mind the gap! The bottle stands near you!

[ Edited by: Dano on 2004-04-19 12:49 ]

[ Edited by: Dano on 2004-04-21 10:40 ]

On 2004-04-18 08:23, Tiki Chris wrote:
hey browngirl! didn't i meet you at the little grass shack on kealakekua bay?

No you met her in the ring tra-la-la-la-la, She looks like a sugar in a plum, Plum plum

Howdy all!

I'd call myself a gremmie tiki-phile, spending years loving The Enchanted Tiki Room at the Big D since I was a wee lad (I'll never forget my first encounter with flaming drinks from the restaurant that used to be aside it), listening to old LPs of my parents over and over, eating at the Bahooka, and being spoiled by west coast weather.

After a long time off the path of Tiki, I've come back to it, after a couple recent incidents all colliding at once: 1) I was doing some research for a Kelbo's birthday party for my sister-in-law (her favorite restaurant) so I could make some graphics for it and learn how to mix authentic drinks at the party, 2) I was sick of the music I was currently listening to and checking out what new stuff I could find on the web, and 3) I totalled my car in a rather harrowing accident, giving me a chance to reflect and reprioritize my life a bit. But enough with the long-winding explanations.

Luckily, Tangaroa smiled down on me, and I found Tiki Central. It pretty much re-ignited my dormant interest, so I've been reading up on new places, purusing music and shirts, buying some books, and getting my love on for all the great modern interpertations of Tikidom, as well as the old classics.

I can see here a real appreciation for the genre and a lot of real talent in bringing tiki back for a new generation. That's really pretty cool, and inspiring. I think I'm going to take some ceramics classes, just because seeing so many great projects makes me want to step away from the computer, and make some art with my hands.

Anyway, this is a great place, and thanks all for making it so worth coming to.

Howdy!

Just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Brian, aka KopeKahuna... and I am a long time Polynesian-nut in Baltimore. I have lived everywhere (including Hawaii Kai on Oahu) and have seen many Tiki Bars and Restaurants in my travels. I am looking to open a Coffee company in the next few months (preferably in Florida) and plan on making the Roaster's retail outlet (aka coffeehouse) Tiki-centric.

That's it for now.

Maholo!

KopeKahuna

DRINK COFFEE!!

TW

Hi! I'm new to the Forum and to the Modesto area. I'm a Tiki fanatic and true Lounge Lizard! I'm hoping to meet other Lizards in the area! E-mail me!!!!

3Dtiki – KopeKahuna - Tiki Woo
WELCOME!!!!
Enjoy the site!
Unga

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-04-28 14:36 ]

modesto you say?? do you per chance frequent minnie's or the tiki lounge? we have a small modesto contingent of tikiness...well okay, its just me and jungeltrader, but dammit, we are cool people. come join us at minnie's! let's swap stories over some drinks.

:drink:

aloha

It started about 4 years ago when I decided to paint my livingroom the color(s) of the rasta flag (it looks good, REALLY!), then came the underwater mural on one of the walls, then the shelving shaped like a row boat found by the dumpster, the 6ft.mermaid lamp, the tiki cookie jar, the many assorted thrift shop items leading to a need for tiki glasses->yup, got em', the fish netting & shells, then stumbled into the "Swank Pad" and bought a music C.D.(love it), then more "music", & books whoa!!, then finding the Tiki Central web site and reading, reading, reading, then the munktiki mugs (yeow-very cool), then realizing I could find tiki stuff on ebay (Wooo-hooo I signed right up)and 2 months and many purchases later I felt worthy of joining tikicentral...I have arrived!Peace

[ Edited by: tikiaholic on 2004-09-28 14:55 ]

TW

I did say Modesto! Let's meet at the Tiki Bar soon! I've been to the Tiki Bar once, I was the one outside hugging the tikis!

My boyfriend and I just bought a house and don't know a soul in the area. I would love to meet some people! I'll let you know when I'll be at the bar.

tiki woo~ if we are not able to meet up soon, be sure to check out minnie's restaurant on mchenry (just down the street from the tiki lounge) on may 22nd in the early evening. if you look under the tiki events section, you'll see a thread talking about a tiki show by jungletrader. he is a carver, and is going to bring a little tiki sale/show to minnie's that evening. other tiki artists and tiki centralites will be there as well. so definitely come out for that. we also meet up every month or so for drinks at minnie's on friday nights.

do you collect mugs as well?

:drink:

Hi everyone! I know it's a little late, but i hadn't seen this thread until now. I have been into collecting tiki's for a couple years now, and just recently found this site. everyone here is pretty damn cool, and the artwork posted is phenomenal. I live in the ft lauderdale area, if anyone wants to hang out and grab a drink at the Mai Kai happy hour!

TW

I'll be there! I do collect mugs, just anything tiki in general. I want to start collecting carvings for my backyard so it sounds like the sale/show is right up my alley. And I gotta check out Minnies! Count me in for a Minnie's meet-up. I would love to meet other enthusiasts. E-mail me!

K

Hi all! I've loved browsing Tiki Central for about a year now and I've finally decided to post. I'm up at Lake Tahoe and there's really NOT a lot of tiki around here, so that makes for lots of road trips. But every now and then I'll find a surprise at a yard sale or flea market. Met some folks yesterday that found what I believe to be a witco "copy" or witco-like tiki bar hanging out by a dumpster...DAMN, wrong place, wrong time. BUT, they stripped it and splashed a pink whitewash all over it and put about 20 coats of polyurethane on the top! YUCK! I tried to get them to give it up or sell it (without luck) to restore it back to original condition...the man's in love with it , the wife hates it, won't let it in the house, but can deal with it in the garage if it stays pink! Any other tikiphiles in this area? I hope to meet some of you at the NW tiki crawl. This'll be my first tiki crawl so I'm thrilled. Cheers to you and this wonderful forum! K

A

Aloha Kalikiana,
My wife and I lived in Gardnerville Nevada for six years. No Tiki?!!!! I got the bulk of my collection in thrift stores on Fourth St. in Reno. Ever go to Trader Dicks at the Nugget? Order the Volcano. Great place.
Mahalo,
Al

T

hi - i've been a sometime reader but decided to jump in with both feet and stop being a voyeur. actually, "the divas" are me and my daughter, whose name actually is diva. we pretty much do everything together. looking forward to some back and forth with y'all.

K

Hi Alnshely,
Hmmmm, I must've hit all those thrift stores along 4th street Reno right after you went thru! I have found a few items there, but usually I see items I already have. But I'll have to look harder and go more often. I guess I just get disappointed when I come up tiki-less after 4-5 tiki-search trips...but then again, that's what makes it fun and even more thrilling when you DO find something. I did find a large carved wooden tiki mug at the Salvation Army store in Carson city the other day. And Yesterday in South Lake I found a Rapa Nui travel brochure from 1963 with Moais on the cover. It made my day. I guess there IS tiki around here afterall. I DO love the giant Moai at the putt-putt golf right off South Virginia in Reno. South Lake's putt-putt also has a neat tiki fixture. Trader Dick's IS cool...love the aquarium, however, the times I've been there the service was horrible, and they were playing very loud and distorted 70's-80's hard rock music (like Van halen and George Thorogood). Nothing wrong with these guys, just not the right atmosphere for sipping tiki. The drinks were OK though, once you could get someone's attention. I often think about quitting my job and starting up a neat tiki bar somewhere. Cheers to you! K

K

Hi Divas,
Do you live in Silver Lake off Hwy 88 near Tahoe, or Silver Lake near LA? I've never gone thru either. Glad to meet you both. K

T

Hi Kalikiana:

we're from the LA Silver Lake tribe. just a hop, skip and a jump from the famous Tiki Ti on Sunset. i share your dream to someday open a little tiki bar. other than Tiki Ti, there aren't any in this area (that i know of) and i know Silver Lake/Echo Park is rife with tikiphiles. Aloha nui, Carol

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tiki Central and relatively new to Long Island (had my going away party at the Mai Kai).

I've been to Otto's in NYC, but if anybody knows of anything cool to do on LI, please let me know.

Thanks and mahalo,
Katie

Hi, i'm new to tiki central, and i live in Sterling, VA. There are a couple of lounges near here , the Hula Inn in Herndon, and the Luau Gardens in Herndon, and Pacific in Sterling has some tikis and a tiki bar. I'm hoping to meet others in the area to check out establishments, hang out or taste rums, etc.

It was sad to see the Honolulu restaurant go.

welcome to you all!

hey wayward one, if you haven't yet, maybe check out http://www.marylanddctiki.com/ and http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/

us local folks ~ sounds like some summer field trips are in the making...

mahalo, johnny dollar

Hey Bibliotiki,

For a Long Island, there is an extreme shortage of tiki. Huntington has a happening nightlife, and the Blue Honu Restaurant/Bar is the closest I've found to a tiki vibe.

If I find anything I'll keep you in the loop. Welcome to TC.

On 2004-05-03 10:02, Johnny Dollar wrote:
welcome to you all!

hey wayward one, if you haven't yet, maybe check out http://www.marylanddctiki.com/ and http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/

us local folks ~ sounds like some summer field trips are in the making...

mahalo, johnny dollar

Thanks, I'll check them out. There is also Mango Mike's in Alexandria, but i think that the Honolulu was better than these others i've listed. I'm hoping to get out to Politiki soon, i've not been there yet.

Peace,
the wayward one

Hi. I'm new to Tiki Central. I've been doing a lot of Tiki web surfing lately, as my design them for remodeling my basement is Pete's Monkey Skull Voodoo Lounge. I'm building a dark tiki sort of feel, and my big project will be creating an indoor koi pond and waterfall.

Welcome Monkey Skull. Not much to your website but cool image anyway.
Indoor koi pond? Sounds good to me.

HI! OOPS! I think I posted this in the wrong place the first time...so I'll try here!! Just want to say hi to all! :D I'm into all things Tiki in a huge way! Been a tikinut ever since I first went to the Original Kon Tiki in Montreal when I was 16! Never forgot it!!! Now I have an official Tiki Room in my house, filled with all things tiki....soon the whole house will be retro 50s/60s tiki! hheeehheee! I originally joined up in August of 2002 as TikiGoddess 8) ..but been busy, busy, busy....and away for a long time, decided to check in and see what's UP! Sooooo glad to meet y'all....any fellow tikiphiles in Montreal? Any members of the Montreal Tiki Appreciation society here?? HI!!!!

I also haunt Diamondchitchat.com :wink: So, anyone got any good tips on finding Tiki stuff where I live??

A sandy spot on a tropical beach, a Fog Cutter to drink :sheckymug: , and my hubby by my side..AH! that's heaven!

[ Edited by: TikiPearlsOfTahiti on 2004-05-09 14:12 ]

Aloho, Tiki-Centralites!

I'm not new member, I'm old, (but young...uh...relatively...and cute!) but I haven't posted since the last tiki crawl in spring 2003....shameful, I know.

But hi everybody, for anybody who might remember me from the SF tiki crawl in 2003. I was the dolly in vintage go go boots and vintage tiki dresses.

I was talking about moving to Cali back then, and now I have the chance to do it. I've graduated from college and have a job offer in L.A. I'm in England right now until May 25th (yes, I'll miss the Caliente Tropics event). I'll be heading back to Florida (home) and trying to figure out how to move to L.A.

Anyone on this list in L.A.? I know there are some "Hoity-Toity's" out there! (LOL)

I've been in England inbetween semesters for the last 3 years. I have an internet business here selling vintage mod clothes (some of which I make), as well as artwork having to do with the 1960's. But things are about to change!

I just got offered a really great job in L.A. and and looking for some
kind of connections to find a place to stay in the L. A. area until I
get settled in and find a place, or am looking for someone who needs
a roommate. I can't
accept the job unless I have place to stay.....

Please help if you know anything or anyone.

MAHALO!

Laura

TikiCutie,

Is cute "HOT" or is it like, "ah, a kitty cat" type gig?

If it means "HOT", we'd love to see some pictures. If it means "ah, a kitty cat", welcome aboard!

On 2004-05-10 14:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:
TikiCutie,

Is cute "HOT" or is it like, "ah, a kitty cat" type gig?

If it means "HOT", we'd love to see some pictures. If it means "ah, a kitty cat", welcome aboard!

Ya gotta be quick:

Greetings TPoT. I'm not in Montreal but both my neices live there and I'd really like to visit them when I can afford to (probably not anytime soon, unfortunately). If I ever do make it out there, what's say we meet up? My neices aren't into the Tiki so much, but I'm sure they can be persuaded to visit Jardin Tiki, especially if fruity drinks are involved. One of my neices is a jazz musician -- she plays Hammond B3 organ. I believe she has a club gig during the Jazz Festival this year but I'm not sure where. Her name is Vanessa Rodrigues.

-Proud Uncle Tiki

S

Just home from our first Oasis! Wow--what a party. I am proud to report that my lovely wife and I are no longer tiki-virgins. After the long drive home to Seattle (in our long, long trailer--which by the way is our home tiki bar on wheels)I am here to report that we had a rockin' good time. Thanks to Otto and all. Hope to meet even more of you at the NW Crawl and the Hukilau.

TB

Welcome Sea-Tiki!

A big Aloha and Hola to those of you I met at the last Tiki Oasis...My name is Art Cruz previously part of alohacruz.com. For the most part I have been part of the Vintage Hawaiiana scene....for the last 8 months I have been getting to know a ton of tiki carvers, manufacturers, low brow artists etc etc....I look forward to future events and the Mai Tai's....

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:17 ]

Woops, I also originally posted in the wrong place. I'm in Scottsdale, Arizona, close to the Drift Lounge (very cool tiki bar). We have a Polynesian style backyard to die for, vintage mugs, huge vintage outdoor masks, etc. I am Mrs. Arizona 2000, a professional pianist, ex-professional ballet dancer, competition ballroom dancer, and a 2-time breast cancer survivor. Chemo and all in 2001. Chemo had lots of similarities to excessive rum drinking hangovers! I loved the Palm Springs Tiki Oasis IV. It was my 3rd year in a row.
-Mrs. Arizona

Welcome Mrs. Arizona. My wife Kitty and I met you at Tiki Oasis 2 and 3. We couldn't get down this year but perhaps we will see you next time.

Hi SweetDaddytiki, sure if you are ever coming this way to visit family, post on the board, hubby and I will meet you at Jardin Tiki for a drink!!! sounds like fun!

N
Netty posted on Mon, May 17, 2004 8:15 PM

Aloha to all. I had my first TO experience this year and I am completely hooked. I had such a wonderful experience with some of the warmest, friendliest people I had ever met. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone even better.

Thanks for all the kindness.

M

Hi, this is MrTikiAZ I'm in Phoenix and in the East valley and jsut build a 20 foot by 10 foot Tiki Room and will be ready for Tiki Parties and Entertaining by July or August 1, 2004. I'm single and attractive and invite any Tikiettes (yes the girls) to say hello and all guys are invited to the parties too of course. Just looking for a Miss TikiAZ at the moment to also help host our Tiki Parties with me...... It will be a very authentic room for sure.... Feel free to contact me at [removed by forum admin] if you're in the Phoenix area to contribute to this fun room in AZ. Mr. TikiAZ (Scott)

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-05-18 19:42 ]

Hello fellow tiki fans. I've been lurking for a bit and thought I would step up and say hello. I run a website called Java's Bachelor Pad http://www.javasbachelorpad.com which features some tiki items...mostly classic South Seas stories from vintage men's magazines. I also host a weekly lounge/exotica radio show called, what else, "The Bachelor Pad." I'm all about the Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Arthur Lyman, Don Tiki, and the like.

I don't know about you, but my tiki collection is taking over my real-life bachelor pad. I've got mugs everywhere, more little statues than I can count, some very cool hula girl items...plus more Hawaiian records than I care to admit.

My whole tiki obsession is kinda funny when you consider I live in the middle of corn fields in the center of Illinois. Any other Midwest tiki folks out there?

Keep Swinging!
Java

K

Welcome Java!

I've been a fan of "The Bachelor Pad" for a few years now and am happy to see you join us.

Awwww...thanks. I'm always happy to find fans of the program out there. When I do my show live, it feels like all of 3 people are listening.

Keep Swinging!
Java

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies