Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The surf giveth and the surf taketh away...

Pages: 1 7 replies

K

I lost it. I should have known better, but I always wear it. I expected that it might come off in rough surf and the hurricane had sent some big rollers into Cinamon Bay. Not North Shore monsters mind you, but enough to play in and drink Cruzan from the bottle.

As the day drew to a close I packed up my things to head back and that's when I noticed that it was gone.

I lost my surfers charm necklace.

A small black Ku from the early seventies that I've had either on or close by ever since is gone to the waves off St. John. I searched for it in the sand, but I knew it would be fruitless to expect to find it.

The faux gemstones in it's eyes had come out long ago, and the plastic material it was made of had been worn to a nice patina of black and underlying deep olive green. I figure the clasp must have given way on that beautiful day and it tumbled to the bottom of the bay.

It came all the way from the big island only to be lost some 30 years later on a very small island miles and miles away.

I can never replace it.

Just thought I'd share. My neck feels naked.

Maybe some kid will find it washed ashore and hang onto it.

pele

[ Edited by: pele on 2003-10-27 17:53 ]

I know how you feel...I had a very elaborately carved bone Manaia (the Maori guardian of the Earth)that became a fixture with me. I lost it while changing clothes in a restaurant bathroom on the way to a funeral 3 hours away that I was late for. Just the thought of some little asshole in a Limp Bisquick shirt wearing it despite having no inkling of it's origin or meaning burns me up to this day. It has since been replaced but I'd love to have the original back.

Dude, I am touched by your story, I remember when my girlfriend lost her favorite ring while we were "hanging out" on the beach, and we went back the next day to search, but no luck. So, I'd like to offer you one of my tiki necklaces as a gift to a fellow surfer. Towards the bottom of my first post on this link, there are some necklaces. Let me know which one you like, and I'll send one to you.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5772&forum=7&18

My bro-in-law lost his wedding ring on DAY ONE of his honeymoon in Hawaii when he took his first dip on the beach. Amazingly, they found it after about 1/2 hour of searching.

-Z

hmmm, didn't lose anything close to my heart, but instead, close to my head.
My GLASSES are floatin somewhere off Acapulco Mexico... at least it was only 2 days before we were leaving, so I didn't have to wear my prescript. sunglasses day and NIGHT for too long.... hehehehehe

K

On 2003-10-27 23:10, tikitony wrote:
Dude, I am touched by your story, I remember when my girlfriend lost her favorite ring while we were "hanging out" on the beach, and we went back the next day to search, but no luck. So, I'd like to offer you one of my tiki necklaces as a gift to a fellow surfer. Towards the bottom of my first post on this link, there are some necklaces. Let me know which one you like, and I'll send one to you.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5772&forum=7&18

Hey man, that's awfully nice of you, and I appreciate the thought. Your work is damn fine stuff and I'd be more than proud to hang one of those on my chest.

I don't get to the water as often as I did in the past, and my old charm always kept me feeling connected, you know?

Anyway, thanks for the offer, it's a real righteous thing to do. I'll peruse your stuff and get back to you.

Thanks for the comments all. I just needed to tell the tale to someone who would get it. To most folks it was just a rinky dink charm, to me it was special.

pele

K

a comic i am working on has the EXACT same theme as your story only my main character has a job schelping fish tacos for a living...then when he finds a tiki (more like tiki finds HIM) floating in the inside tide he is transported to an actual local yet unknown to earth

i dig your tale my man

GRIFFIN FOREVER!!!

That's so sad. I hope the gods bestow a new token of power to you, though you can't replace an old friend. At least his severance frrom your neck was in an apropo place where a tiki might feel at home.

Pages: 1 7 replies