Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Jack-o-lanterns

Pages: 1 2 3 4 153 replies

N

Al- You put the CARVE in "CARVE a pumpkin"!!!! :) HAPPY HALLOWEEN :)

V

Oh MAN - carving is tough! tooled around with a few pumpkins this afternoon:

I just can't wrap my brain around this whole subtractive sculpture concept! I am too spoiled by the clay - I kept wanting to make a paste out of my pumpkin shavings and add on a bit of detail here, a bit more on the nose there...

raining cats and dogs over here - I'll be lucky if we get 1 trick or treater. Lame! I spent all day setting up!

VanTiki

T

I

Van.. those are great.

I

Tahi...that one is special..I would hate puttin' so much work into one and then throwing it away.

T

IsleConch
It only took about 2 hours and a 1/2, so it wasn't that bad,
it's also good training for the reel thing.

Thought I'd bump this bad boy back into action... wish the badmojo picts still existed, they were awesome...

Thanks for bumping it...I wish those pics were still available too...I think I saw some last year...he is really a wizard with a pumpkin. I can barely carve a turkey.

O.K. ... So it looks more like a dentally challenged Indian. That's what I get for using one of those patterns.
At least the kitty's came out looking like....kitties.

R

Did one 2 years ago from an online pattern but this year wanted to do something different... so was looking at which mugs might be good to mimic on our gourd this year, and behold! Munktiki's "Ultra Cute Kitty" fit the bill pretty well:

And here it is all lit up in the dark...

Cheers! And...
Happy Happy Halloween, Halloween, Halloween!
Happy Happy Halloween, Silver Shamrock!
(Tune in for the big giveaway at 9; don't forget to wear your mask!)
~Rupe

"Rum will be absolutely necessary to get through this night"
--Hunter S. Thompson in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'

[ Edited by: rupe33 2007-10-31 07:40 ]

S

Hey, where is TikiJoe'sPop??? He did some amazing pumpkins this year. Gilligan, Jimi Hendrix, and Dean Martin. I'm mad I didnt take photos!

First year that I havn't had a pumpkin. But this guy has been around a while.

CJ

I can't believe how amazing Crazy Al's pumpkin carving's are! Went to Damon's for brunch and I've had the champagne/after brunch wine urge to carve one.

Haven't carved a pumpkin in 4 or 5 years. Got a call from my cousin who carved an amazing Mario head pumpkin, and the Ellen show wanted him to carve on the show but he lives way up in Oregon, so I had to whip this up for a backup. You might see Crazy Al and me on Ellen this week!

AT

Some cool pumpkolanterns around here !!!
Here are my humble submissions to the collection.

First is a carving I did 9 years ago for a contest among the employees at the Charthouse here in Kona.

And this next one was from last year - a little sculptural conceptual piece that towered over the oceanfront drive through town.

[ Edited by: Alii Tiki 2008-10-29 19:15 ]

Found this Moai profile pattern on tikifish.com (inactive TC member?) and carved a pumpkin tonight

Here are the 3 that Sweet Pea was talking about from last year; Gilligan, Jimi Hendrix & Dean Martin. They're all about 4-6 days old at the time the pictures were taken, so the "sag" is setting in. Still, it was a blast to make. So here's 3 of my heroes (too bad they never jammed together - Bob Denver (Gilligan/Maynard G. Krebs) was a hell of a percussionist!) ---

[ Edited by: Tiki Joe's Pop 2008-11-01 14:39 ]

T

did this one in a hurry ( not that I could do anybetter if I took my time lol )

On 2006-10-29 12:30, crazy al wrote:
here are some results of the pumpkin carving contest at the Puka bar here in Long Bch CA....

I was a judge and my two pumpkins where not judged

the nice palms and Moai were the owner's hand at carving, and the second from the left was the winner.

Wow!

How I've lived 30 yrs and never carved a pumpkin I'll never know...but here's my first attempt! Thanks to a Shag illustration I had a pretty good template :)

CA

thanks for the bump christiki! i've yet to get back to the squashes... been doing this media...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wq3dzd2ao
i wanted to get some pumpkins in this thing but spent all my time on the mugs...

my pumpkins......tiki and star wars........hmmm

Happy Hawaii-Ween Tiki Tribe!

Solar powered Tiki-o-lantern!

On 2004-10-21 10:39, MachTiki wrote:
Jack O'Tiki was quite distraught over the fact that he wasn't nearly as attractive as BadMojo's carvings.

Bump

Well after trying to copy a mug I had..... It looks more Jacko than Tiki....
Good fun though with the keiki...

JV

Gave it a shot with the pumpkins......

Tiki:

Not Tiki:

Beach Bumz the carving looks great ...you did a fine job.
Happy Halloweeny to you and your family .

L

Joe V love your pumpkins! Great stuff!

Thanks 1961Surf... It's fun "trying" to carve... I'm staring on my second tiki carving carving today, picked up a nice log the other day..

Joe that pumpkin is awesome!

BB

T

SHRUNKUN PUMPKUN!

M

Excellent work carvers! It's great to see the tradition alive and well.

B

Joe, I REALLY love your carvings - the removal of the rind really gives it a wood-like appearance. I was amused at the position of the top pic - looked like a giant carved pineapple! Hey, there's an idea - a very STICKY idea! Nice carvings all.

Seasonal bump.

Thanks Bongo...love love love Halloween and too bad the original pix in this thread are gone...they were awesome. I recently watched a professional chef carve off and their creations were unbelievable. They had mechanical aspects to make the pumpkin animated. The most amazing one was a Medusa with snakes moving in and out of the pumpkin. I have trouble just cutting a lime in half!!!

Go to the Ghoulishly grand carved pumpkins and it is the picture in the second row, 4th from the left...it is crazy!!!
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39527582/ns/today-today_halloween_guide/39688215

Here's ours we did the other night...

You carvers always have the best jack-o-lanterns! All I can do are those patterns you pin onto the pumpkin, poke holes around the pattern and then try to play connect-the-dots with a carving knife! I just light up one of my cheap-o Big Lots Tiki candle holders and let it go at that!

My friend Judy came over with a nice Aloha pumpkin.

The front with a Hawaiian beach scene. Palm trees, clouds, a Tiki torch and a turtle.

Left side with a Volcano.

Right side with a double stacked Tiki.

She copied this off a Tiki product label, can you guess which one? (Hint, those are Tiki dogs).

DC

Lots of broken links to pictures of amazing Tiki'o'lanterns...but still a few good ones here...so resurrecting for Halloween.

We did a Flaming Tiki (no not that kind) a couple of years ago in Jasper, AB over the thanksgiving week-end. Came in first place ... Wish I could carve detail as well as Tiki Tony or Al, would have been much better (fortunately you couldn't tell how badly carved it was at night when it was roaring with fire). Sorry about the picture, my wife took it. Basically, soak a roll of toilet paper in Kerosene and drop it inside a can, then into the pumpkin, light it up and voila. Really awesome.

HANALEI TIKI

[ Edited by: Hanalei Tiki 2011-10-04 16:29 ]

T

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TC!!!!

Not mine...but nice.

T

Cool. My pumpkins always end up looking like the ones in the old Peanuts Halloween tv special.

This year I gave the tiki pumpkin carvin a try...

I made a Jack-KU-Lantern and a Tang-O-Lantern:

then I took my efforts down to the Newberry Springs CoC Halloween festival with Crazy Kelly O and set up the Mojave Oasis "Haunted" Tiki Shack:

A lot of people couldn't believe they were real pumpkins. The High Desert Times took a bunch of photos of them

at first we didn;t take the fire torches, but we were overcome with the spirit of competition and went and got them:

4WD tiki and skull by Big Ed:

On the table is a floating candle in a pool of BLOOD!

We also had fancy lighting and a soundtrack playing. It was much more impactful in the dark, during the actual festival

Our efforts were rewarded when we won Second Place in the booth decorating contest!

Best part was I got to cop a cheap feel off Miss Teen Barstow when I posed for the newspaper shots!(Yes, newberry springs actually had to import a pretty girl from barstow for the festival)

Winning Rules!
Buzzy Out!

Congrats Buzz on the award (and the cheap feel). As if Newberry Spring HAD a Chamber of Commerce you lying sack of #@$* ! :lol:

Well I suppose only Disneyland nuts like me are going to get this...I am going to just post it and see if anyone can identify what it is before I tell... (note: I did take a few very minor artist liberties).

AT

Took another stab at carving last night after a couple of cocktails, it's been a couple of years since I carved anything,I'm fairly stoked at the outcome.

And here's the inspiration image from an ebay auction last week.

On 2011-10-25 01:27, tigertail777 wrote:
Well I suppose only Disneyland nuts like me are going to get this...I am going to just post it and see if anyone can identify what it is before I tell... (note: I did take a few very minor artist liberties).

Isn't that Shrunken Ned, the jungle's only self-service which doctor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVnPFAT37us&feature=related

One to many 151 Swizzles for this guy.

DC

Pages: 1 2 3 4 153 replies