Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

N.O needs Tiki!!!!

Pages: 1 15 replies

I'm posting here to get that maximum exposure referred to in the Events rules, since I want to gauge the interest in this.

I'm in negotiations with a friend in the Quarter to convert his currently non-tiki establishment into a tiki temple as best we can for one weekend, and if all goes well, perhaps permanently. We're thinking a weekend in late March/early April, after Mardi Gras and before Jazz Fest.
Our intention is to make this a major event, with music, performers, presentations, auction, commemorative mug, the whole ball o' wax. A few members are already in on it, bless 'em.
So what do you guys think? Can we bring tiki back to N.O, T.C. style?

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip!How does that time period rate on the busy/non-busy scale of N.O.? If you hold the event during a lull in tourism you might have the additional draw of cheaper lodging prices and perhaps cross promotion with nearby hotels. I was last there in early September 2001, one week after the decadence festival and the place was relatively devoid of tourists. Thus, appealing deals were offered by many hotels.

We'll be arranging a group rate with a convenient hotel as soon as I get an idea how this is going to fly.

Except for the chance of spring showers, the weather in N.O. is probably about as good as it gets at the time we've chosen. Rates obviously are better further into the summer, because no one wants to be here in August, blechh. It's Amazon hot 'n' humid then.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-11-06 08:20 ]

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-11-06 08:22 ]

T

I think it would be helpful to talk with others that have put on similar events, like Huki Lau, Exotica Chicago, Tiki Oasis, to get an idea what needs to go into the planning to make it a success. Location probably has a lot to do with getting a good crowd. I know N. O. is a popular tourist spot, but I'm not sure tiki would be what they would come for. But maybe it's something that would tie in nicely with the rest of the N O mystique.

On 2003-11-06 11:31, tikigreg wrote:
I think it would be helpful to talk with others that have put on similar events, like Huki Lau, Exotica Chicago, Tiki Oasis,

Already doin' it!

P

It would be cool if it was during jazz fest. I think I will be going again this year.

Not practical though, everything's already overcrowded then.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-11-06 15:21 ]

K
kooche posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 3:22 PM

if it's during jazzfest...BRING THE PAIN!

converting a bar into a tiki paradise isn't that simple...as i am sure that you know...my friend Dale Sizer has enough tiki pottery vessels to furnish a club that could capacitate near to 50 people all drinking at once...he also happens to have an ENTIRE PAD full of tikis and tiki tchotchkes (Witco and the like)...ALL VINTAGE...buying this collection would be the ideal thing to do if you wanted to open a new tiki bar...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811826538/qid=1068156908/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-7362687-2534319

he is in this here book with his dogs...bless this man!

chi chi madness!

Burlesque performers?

S
SES posted on Thu, Nov 6, 2003 7:33 PM

On 2003-11-06 18:17, thechikitiki wrote:
Burlesque performers?

I know someone who can help with that!
:wink:

Re: burlesque...I sincerely doubt it. Sorry if this is an attendance decision maker or breaker. This isn't meant to be Tease-o-Rama.

And to respond to another post, perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I have no hope of recreating a Mai Kai or Kahiki. I am not Paris Hilton and cannot afford to purchase a truckload of vintage pieces for one weekend. I said I we would convert it "as best we could" and if that was successful, maybe go for a permanent conversion. I am doing this in part to try to help a friend whose business is struggling, and to enjoy an event I don't have to leave home to attend. I was hoping for the kind of support MTKahuna got with the Hawaiian Room project.

It will NOT be during the Jazz Fest, because the Jazz Fest will be during Jazz Fest, period. The people without existing Jazz Fest plans would never be able to find accomodations. If it is not in March or early April, it might have to be in September.

K
kooche posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2003 8:46 AM

i wasn't suggesting that my boy's collection of wacky mugs was even up for bid...i was just saying that his collection kicks ASS!....the decor is a thing all on it's own was my point....

as for jazzfest...i am a giant music WHORE...i love music history...so when i went to N.O. for the first time i was psyched to get a gander at all the mud hole bars with live tunes being played in them...but the first time i was there was during superbowl/mardi gras....the only music i heard was the idiots playing at the superbowl...sting bono no doubt(my LEAST FAV) etc...man that place was SO full of jocko idiots it's not even funny...it was sad for me...though getting to photograph the french quarter and paruse the louisianna music factory on decatur was a blast!!! and the FOOD!!!

WWOZ FOREVER!

If you need to fill up wall space I could send you a "Tiki Esher" poster. Just tell me how large you need it. 30" wide is my max.

P

Are you talking about just temporarily converting an existing bar into a tiki bar, or are you talking about an event on the scale of something like Hukilau or Oasis? I had kind of assumed the former.

Personally, I don't see that I can afford the time and expense of making two trips to New Orleans this year. I would have to choose one or the other (the other being jazz fest).

Sorry for any confusion.

On 2003-11-07 12:01, PiPhiRho wrote:
Are you talking about just temporarily converting an existing bar into a tiki bar, or are you talking about an event on the scale of something like Hukilau or Oasis? I had kind of assumed the former.

Something like Hukilau, just no Mai Kai.
From my original post on this thread:
"Our intention is to make this a major event, with music, performers, presentations, auction, commemorative mug, the whole ball o' wax. A few members are already in on it, bless 'em."

It'd be way cool if the event was timed so people (musicians, like me) could catch it either on they're way to or from SXSW ...

Pages: 1 15 replies