Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are you a Tiki freak? - Take the Quiz

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

great idea for a topic! scored 25 here...did not realize i was at goddess status. i agree with tiki chris, if tikis were spoken of or involved in your wedding ceremony, there should be an extra point earned there! (of course, i didnt get married at tiki oasis or anything, but dammit, if we had only known....)

any extra points for eating crummy food inside of a covered wagon at a restaurant because it USED to be a prevalent tiki establishment?

:tiki:

I mostly lost points due to my preference for vintage stuff, over tiki-revival stuff.

RIGHT ON!

Borderline Goddess/Freak here with 17 no's. I may not own a Bosko mug, but I've been to his home/workshop and he made me a drink in one of his mugs (thanks to Monkeyman!). But I did not give myself the point. Now to buy a mug and earn that point, dammit... And I wasn't wearing a Hawaiian/tiki dress at the moment, but I was wearing tiki jewelry. I may go back and add that point!

And maybe add on a proselytizing question: Have you ever tried to recruit others into the World of Tiki, spreading the gospel, so to speak? My students are aware of Señorita Berry's prediliction for tiki. One is in Hawaii as I write, and she has been instructed to bring me back something! ("Ya wanna get an 'A', kid?")

And you know, this quiz may be Cali-centric, but I don't live in California and I scored d*mned high. Ya gotta go where the tiki is, folks!

It would be interesting to see in how many states/countries you could claim you visited a tiki shrine of whatever sort. I added on a second visit to a Virginia tiki spot this past weekend, soon to close too (The Honolulu). Hurry and see the good ones, folks - they could show up, as did the Kahiki, on a future quiz! (I'm very proud of my #64, Been to the Kahiki yes, where I met Otto for the first time. Two yes's with one trip - well 3, as it took an airplane ride!)

(SCD, I am SOOOO impressed. Actually, maybe I'm a little scared with your answer of only TWO no's!!!)

November 2007 Edit:
I'm solidly in Freakland now: 9 No's. And I still haven't gotten my Bosko and thus am still not counting that one. But owning a home means I can have tikis in my yard that are over 2' tall. Score and score.
Someday I'll own a Shecky and see The Enchanted Tiki Room.
Ya gotta have goals in life.

"Zazz captivates felt."

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2007-11-11 08:43 ]

A
Andrew posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2003 3:47 PM

Tiki God — 23 no's.
A

S
SES posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2003 5:01 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 09:07 ]

"10. Made a profit re-selling a Tiki item?"

I'd rather sell my arse!

Trader Woody

TC

On 2003-12-09 08:18, Trader Woody wrote:

I'd rather sell my arse!

Yeah, but would you make a profit?

H

I knew it all along I am a freak, yeah....

Ok....time for a vacation!!!! I found out I needed to go to Hawaii, then realized this little quiz was mad up almost 2 years ago!!! How about adding:
Ever been to Oceanic Arts & met Bob and Leroy?
Ever met Crazy Al?
Ever bought a bar from Bamboo Ben?
Bought a ukelele after seeing King Kukulele live at Tiki Oasis?
Had a weekend where you hit 5 diferent tiki events between Friday and Sunday?
Rescued a burning Tiki Tony tiki from a beach burn?
Then put it in your front yard?
Just a few more questions for the quiz!
SoccerTiki

WooHooo! With a little help from Soccer Tiki I think I can be labeled a Friki Tiki!! LOL

Tiki God.

"Own over 100 tiki items in your collection."

You set very lofty standards - I only have 70 and I'm was wondering if I was falling in to deep, after getting my Sam Gambino print framed on my way to the Purple Orchid last night and debating whether I'm going to Tiki Ti tonight.

MR

I'm proud to have made Tiki Freak by one. I think having Tiki tattoos should push people into the category even faster. The quiz was fun, thanx.

B

I should have been a God: I feel like one. I lost points on only liking antiques that are mint (limited space), living in Texas, and for number or posts (I only post when drinking).
Unless this was mentioned else where, how about the number of different rums one owns, and the number of ultra rare mugs? oh, I am not drinking right now, but wish I were.

On 2005-10-06 06:50, Matt Reese wrote:
I think having Tiki tattoos should push people into the category even faster.

If not automatically. Wearing your tiki not just "on your sleeve," but wearing it on your skin, permanently, is the real deal of tiki devotion.

On 2003-11-12 18:33, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Yes, I am evidently Sabu The Coconut Freak as well. Doctor Z has travelled to a tiki event by plane, which I have not. So he is the more tiki of the two amigos. Give him all praise. Amen. Yea, verily.

There should be a higher yet category for those, like Dr. Z and Sabu, who hold annual tiki worship gatherings.

I was just hipped to this Thread by Jon Paul,of Tiki Magazine.
so I took the quiz.
I was surprised that I scored 21, and am as Hard core as it says.
But happy to be a tiki god and not a tiki freak.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2007-11-05 15:24 ]

P

Casual... Just the way I like it.

Gawd..but making a great effort to move up a notch. :)

R

i'm sad to say that i'm more than a tiki freak

MN

I am letting my freak flag fly.

On 2007-11-06 17:57, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I am letting my freak flag fly.

LOL me too :roll:

Hence the name "Psycho Tiki D". What more can I say?

PTD

Have you posted on a "Post" 4 years old...bonus points of how many ...I was so close to be a Freak , how does one live with ones self when only a god..

M

Great fun! Freaks come out at night!! 8!

Excellent quiz, Maui Tiki.

Wow, Tiki God status.

CL

Wow, and I thought I just liked the stuff and had the bug....Tiki God...great quiz!

BB

Gozer: Are you a God?
Bora Boris: Yes.

GHOSTBUSTERS (1984)
Gozer: Are you a God?
Dr Ray Stantz: No.
Gozer: Then... DIE!
*[Lightning flies from her fingers, driving the Ghostbusters to the edge of the roof and almost off; people below scream] *
Winston Zeddemore: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Tiki Gawdess...but I have aspirations. :lol:

TT

Well i scored 21.. Pretty proud actually to be an Australian Tiki God!
Cool thread!

Bumped for the new(er) members of the tribe.

T

Casual tiki moving toward tiki god

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jun 27, 2008 5:00 PM

WOW!!! I'm like totally GAWD like :D
So I figure #65 is anything to do with Don Ho and not only did my dad produce one of his albums ( Take A Walk In The Country) but I actually got to sing on stage with him @ Don the Beachcombers a few years ago. Do I get bonus points for that and if so maybe I can be a frikin' freak baby, yeah!!!...

T

GOD ! 19 no's. I'm OK with not being a freak. I'd get nothing done if I was.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-06-27 17:34 ]

B

Only casual so far, but working on it!

19 no's, as well...

33... Not too bad. The mug questions got me. Ten no's in 11 mug questions. Now the question becomes do I spend less money on carver tools and start buying mugs?

K

29....not too bad for a canadian! holla!

On 2008-06-28 12:36, blindy the pirate wrote:
33... Not too bad. The mug questions got me. Ten no's in 11 mug questions. Now the question becomes do I spend less money on carver tools and start buying mugs?

yeah, I noticed the heavy bent toward collecting, as well. Not that THAT didn't help me....

Cool quiz! I am a Chiki Tiki haha

Aboout 27 no's between BTH and CB@BTH (because her stuff is my stuff). We are Tiki Gods!

On 2008-06-29 09:33, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2008-06-28 12:36, blindy the pirate wrote:

yeah, I noticed the heavy bent toward collecting, as well. Not that THAT didn't help me....

I figure that if your Tiki collection is minimized then your creating ability is compromised. Unless of course you are still exposing yourself to the historical imagery via non physical methods.

There are a lot of Tiki carvers out there producing utter garbage and I (hopefully) believe that most of it can be blamed on lack of exposure.

I gave up my mug collection. ( sold it) and sold a bunch of the rest of my collection.
A.) I dont want to compete with everyone trying to out collect each other
B.) my Tikiness is not defined by what I spend money on and collect.

I have been "collecting" my entrire life. I have accumulated and purged MANY house fulls of cool stuff. and what Im left with is the cream of the crop. Each piece is supurb and could stand alone. This way my house doesnt get too cluttered.
and instead of focusing on the accumulating part I can spend my energies on creating environments and perfecting the rooms so they look great even empty. ( obiously Im still working on that, considering every room in my house is still half finished)

Great pieces find their way to me without any effort on my part.
PLUS Im constantly making stuff. and if I really want a paticular piece I try to find a way to trade for it. so I dont knowwhere on the scale that puts me as far as being more or less tikier that thou Dawn

Sounds like Dawn got a LOW score!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

S

Like 13, but some of those are dated. Subscription to Tiki News? I got the last issue at Tease-O-Rama and no more happened, so... I was pretty near single digits as some are iffy. I think I have a Steve Crane mug, but have to look...

I have 40 no's. But would owning a Suffering Bastard mug give me extra points? lol

T

But would owning a Suffering Bastard mug give me extra points?

Yes but only if it was not a reproduction. +3

I got Tiki God which sounds a lot nicer than a Tiki Freak. It was the last hand full of questions that got the extra NOs. I think it was all the mug questions that really boosted the score.

How about a bonus round for the tiki Freaks (suggestions)

Have you ever bought a tiki mug over $100 dollars?
Have you ever bought a tiki mug over $200 dollars
Have you ever bought a tiki mug over $300 dollars
Have you ever bought a tiki item over $500?
Have you ever bought tropical spampoo to smell more tiki?
Have you ever had a dream about tiki?

Score here is 23. All I need to do is get on an airplane and fly to Hukilau then share a Mai Tai with Swanky served in a Munktiki Mug while reading Tiki News under the light of a Puffer Fish lamp as I am simultaneously text messaging 350 new posts to Tiki Central to move to the next level. That should be easy.

On 2008-07-03 12:24, teaKEY wrote:
But would owning a Suffering Bastard mug give me extra points?

Yes but only if it was not a reproduction. +3

It's a Tiki Farm reproduction. BUT...I've touched an original that my friend owns. How about extra points by association.

Signed,

Desperately Trying to be Cool

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies