Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

War of the Carvers

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

Tikifille has a good point...

What started out as a silly suggestion might actually be a very cool thing to do.
If any of you carvers really want to do a carving session, I'm sure we could make arrangements with management.
All I would ask is that you consider donating your finished products to the Hawaiian Inn to decorate the grounds. The lobby, showroom and bar have tikis, but the only tikis in the pool area are the ones holding up the roof of the bar. It would be really fantastic to have the grounds of the Hawaiian Inn populated by Florida's finest chisselers. You could probably afix some kind of label, so interested parties could contact you for more info.
This isn't to pressure anyone, but it is a nice idea with maybe some marketing benefits.
KG

awright here's da tiki brawl unofficial card: tiki freak Vs tiki mon, wayne coombs Vs the bula bula guy,(one's ebay the others not'' both florida though) charlie Knight (ebay with an endless supply) Vs richard miller (not ebay but the keys)the Palmtree charlie Vs David landry (two others from ebay also outta Florida)and yours truly Vs kreepy tiki loonatiki (ebay and florida based also).so lets forget the peace talks..whatya thinks ? if i left any Fl carvers outta this whole loop lemme know .(sorry) oh and hell I'll do something for the Hawaiian inn. kreepy tiki jaksin

Geoff, that's brillant. I think it could be beneficial to the carvers and to tikiphiles as well. I think it could be a cool event for the tikiphiles/carvers in Florida and an excuse for the northeast coast to come down and drink some Mai Tai's in sunny Florida. Maybe we can even get Basement Kahuna to bless us with his presence. We need more events on the east coast!

That sounds like a killer project and a legendary event in the making. I'd be there watching with bells on!

just where exactly is the Hawaiian inn located?

The Hawaiian Inn is located in Daytona Beach. There is a thread with alot of info here:http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6117&forum=4&45
Basement Kahuna, whatya talkin about, watching.

F

Since I started this thread with my closeminded whining, I appoint myself Judge and Jury for first prize of best tiki at said Carve-Off

"I've never really liked the "Mai-Tiki" style- too cartoony for me and it's taken over Florida like a plague, (and I don't even want to mention the 10,000 Coombs wannabes out there- all that misguided effort ..sigh..) but thought this article was interesting:... "

You would attend such an event of 10,000 "Coombs wannabes" spreading the plague over Florida with their cartoons and be willing to judge it? Mighty nobel of you, thanks!

[ Edited by: mcdougall on 2003-11-26 21:42 ]

F

only as judge so i could disqualify them all

HAHAHAHA

I like your attitude, really. Hope you do come to said fest I hope happens, you will leave with more respect for Florida carvers I am certian.

oh,oh, fatuhiva has a backer!

Tiki Mon said "Yeah, but instead of battle, let's make a reality TV show - Florida Tiki Carver Challenge."

FINALLY some TV worth watching!!

Tiki Freak Gary said that he loved all the tiki's...
I could not agree more, brother! I certainly appreciate different styles (especially from an artistic view), but I love all of it! I don't really care as long as there are stands along the sides of the roads with reasonably priced pieces of wood with carved faces for me to throw in my trunk and give a new home!

And. last but not least; Fatuhvia, thanks for the post, much appreciated. Nice story. Interesting topic.

Stingray......glad you see it that way, too bad others do not. Everyone has their own opinions, like's and dis-likes. I respect that and have no hard feelings towards anyone who does not like my work or the next guys. There are plenty that do....... What started out as a bashing on Florida carvers has somehow turned into a war between the Florida carvers. That is not what this thread was really about to begin with. How did it get this way? Why would we want to compete between each other. I never read anything about one Florida carver saying anything about who was better or not. I'm pretty sure I read every post, but if I missed one I apologize.

It actually started out being about how much some people do not like certain Florida styles is all. Now somehow it has turned into this.....a "War". Go figure. It's beyond my comprehension..........Why call it a war? I think it would be cool just to get together and have some fun. My stuff against someone else's.....no thanks. It doesn't matter who's better or not. What matters is who enjoy's the art and what they are doing the most. It is still an art and not a competition between fellow lovers of the same thing, correct? I agree with Jaksin, I'll do something for the Hawaiian Inn, but not over a battle between fellow carvers. I personally see it as an OPPORTUNITY to help bring a once cool establishment back to it's original roots and grooviness.....

I know I said I had nothing else to say about this subject, but somehow someone had to shed some light about what this thread really started out as. I have seen no other attempts as of yet.

Anyway, I know it's just talk actually and a little harmless ribbin', but what's the reasoning for turning something that was not originally the point into a fued? Maybe I personally missed something......who knows.

Gary "T.F."

Tfreak i could'nt agree with you more, i hope everybody here knows i am not serious about a Fl "tiki brawl" .but the thought of competition amongst us is straight up silly,i think none of the fl carvers on or off tc is having problems selling their art, regardless of what style they carve .i think the more people carve tikis the more styles come out, the more inspired i will be.the idea of getting together, and doing something for a local tiki spot is hot.BTW (those easter island 3 headz are the shit man)lets see if we can all hook up for real and have a f'in tikified gatherin here in Fl. you know .i know we are not in da west coast but im seeing more and more heads (artists and non artists) outta florida lately and think we should really organize some shit bless a few tikis for the hawaiian inn ,let the barrels a 151 flow into our veins and get kreative, chainsaws,chissels, paintbrush,whatever you use dont matter.bring em all !!!so wuzzup florida?

I think it would be a hell of a good time. I't be even cooler to open it up to tiki carvers from all over the east coast. Could yield a two-day tiki baby boom, too, and the world can never have enough tikis. I'll be there just to hang and watch either way. I can hear the sound of a hundred mallets pounding away at the same time right now...

Jaksin you seen'em huh........thanks for the words. It started out as one to put up for a little extra chrima' doe, but I kept on till I had shree, so a set it becometh. BTW, it's nice to hear you agree with me. I do not expect everyone and their brother to, but it's always nice to know someone does. Peace brotha Jaksin'......I'm really diggin' seeing your stuff as well.

A simple gathering huh....it's sounding mo' betta already. Nice to hear it.

B.K., you always seem to have a good mind about things to me.....It's nice to know this.

At work today killin' time. It's like a desert around here at the ole' USPS. Ran outta leave for the year. I'm outee at 3:30 though. Gotta head home and start my second job....chop, chop. Got (4) customs to kick out.........Guess it's that time of year.

UF vs FSU tomorrow......I say go "Gators". Should be a good one no matter who the victor is.

G.

summary of issue at hand:

Wayne starts tiki carving in Florida way back in the day.

Wayne creates "big teeth and lips" tiki carving style

People relentlessly knockoff said style, thus undertstandably irritating Wayne

"Big Teeth" style tiki spreads like virus across East Coast- by the 90's one hardly ever sees any other type of tiki in Florida.

Fatuhiva irritated as well. FatuHiva no-likey the goofy bigteeth smiley tiki. Ranks big tooth carving style right up there with Brazilian Pepper Trees and Cuban Anoles.

For some reason EastCoast carvers almost never carve a tiki that does not look like the Mai-Tiki Big Tooth Invasive Variety.

Fatuhiva wishes he would see other styles of tikis in florida. Notices article in FLAToday newspaper and posts it, along with above observations. (tongue in cheek obviously)

Thread goes crazy- go figure

Conclusion: What the World Needs Now is Milan Guanko or Barney West to gather a mighty army of carvers to battle the big cartoon tikis!

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-11-29 00:19 ]

On 2003-11-29 00:17, fatuhiva wrote:
summary of issue at hand:

For some reason EastCoast carvers almost never carve a tiki that does not look like the Mai-Tiki Big Tooth Invasive Variety.

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-11-29 00:19 ]

...Hey, now...I am east coast (Georgia born and raised) and I never touched the stuff...but I am hardly a career carver...More of a "for the fun of art" carver that makes a little money on the side with it. But I do believe the "Jimmy Carter taking a poo" observation...it's rampant and just awful...it's remedial, Wal-Mart, quickie, boiled peanut carving. That's why I would so dig seeing some other carvers from Florida do their thing. I still believe deep down there's more to Florida than meets the eye.

Barney West, dude this is kinda contradicktive on youre part .the carvings Ive seen of his were cartoony / alien looking as hell. not very tight traditional stuff. which is what i like to see more of anyways. besides, wouldnt it get kinda boring after a while if all you ever see is different versions of say a "Ku" style tiki? I mean c'mon i know youre just stirring shit up.but "hot damn it's a new day" (sing it like the popular rap song from months ago)if i was you i'd be happy that right now there are enough tiki styles out there to pick and choose, and love and yes hate.Basement , Well if non Florida artists would like to hook up, all the better man.i wish one day we can really make it happen.the Misfits by the way were ,and are my favorite punk band of all time they wore cartoony monster goth type make up and all. but in my opinion the most important music group ever.I dont kare what anybody here thinks....f you!! if you disagree with me on the Fiends from New jersey...by the way..jaksin

P

So... this thread begs the question now...

Are all you guys/gals going to be at the Hawaiian Inn on Jan. 17th? Or is this a separate event in the making?

I'd come over a day early to watch some wood fly.

I'd even pay for Kahuna's gas if he and Wahine wanted to skirt the coast that weekend.

I'd bring one of my good cameras to video this event if someone would promise to take it from me and put it up after my 7th Mai Tai.

I guarantee local press coverage, as well.
Free advertising.
Plus - this would be terrific footage to supplement the Hukilau Documentary already in the works.

So?

The Fiends...Gynecology...great record!

I think fatuhiva was saying he wants variety, cartoony is cool, anything is cool, just not the Mai-tiki rip offs, unless your Wayne Combs. I tend to lean to the more Cartoony/ traditional side myself.

Highjackers! :wink:

F

I like a mixture. I dont mind a cartoony tiki once in a while.. definitely not my favorite look, but I can handle it in moderation. I just like to see different styles. Nothing gets me more excited than a tikimug I have never seen before- so its kindof a bummer when I find a carved tiki nestled behind a bush in someone's frontyard here in Florida, and its... just.. exactly like.. the one i saw last week... and the one over there, and over there, and, you get the picture.

Imagine if you thrifted constantly, and found alot of mugs, but they were always a tiki leilani. Over and over and over.

There ARE some sweet tikis that are little unique individuals around here. I plan on posting a space/treasure coast "tikis in the wild" photo gallery soon. You will get a better idea of the predicament here when you see how many tikis look almost exactly alike, even though they were probably carved by many different people. But also in that gallery will some hidden gems of much older tikis that predate Mai-Tiki Style, and the amateur tikis that were born of individual inspiration.

Yes, you are right, Barney West's style can be cartoony at times- but for some reason its always struck me as a "vintagey" cartoony style and not so Jimmy Buffety 80's, so i dunno somehow it doesnt bug me so much.

Not that I am clamoring for "authentic" style tikis though- that can get boring as well. I like alot of variety! One of my favorite designs is the simple Tiki Bob, which was obviously a cartoonish tiki, but it still seems like it was from another time period. I guess thats maybe what bugs me about the goof-style.. they don't seem like ancient relics from a lost paradise

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-11-29 18:31 ]

Is the wescoast going? I might, cause my pet project is researching the old-school carvers and doing some sort of carvers gathering/summit/interview? Hmmmmm?

I smell major new tiki event. I major smell it...

chikitiki ,not only should the west coast hook up for this, but all in between too .theres a few caevers from neither coast, who will def add to this melting pot of tiki.and how about Gecko? not east or west but we would be missing an important part of Tiki today should he not be there to show his stuff . btw this thing should be not only a carvers meet,but all artists tiki related should get up and be part of this.Exhibit / meet.so lets ask who the hell is down? Jaksin (smelling something bigger than wat Basement was smelling already)p.s.what about a band to supply the needed vibes for tiki?

This ones for you Fatuhiva! I carved it today, and only fifteen minutes away from Mai Tiki. No Jimmy Carter here!

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-11-30 15:24 ]

P

C'mon - steeler-boy.
There's no way that's your "first" tiki.

I will personally mix your first 3 Mai Tais on the 17th if you're ...

...heck I'll do it anyway!

NiceTiki

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-11-30 20:33 ]

T

I'm hitchin' a ride with Chiki! Flounder, nice wun, I think I know what C' Al traded you for the painting now! ha ha

Seriously (if that's possible), if anyone wants to carve at the Hawaiian Inn on the 17th let me know for sure so I can make arrangements. I know Wayne would dig it. They have a large meeting room that could probably be used, or if the weather is nice maybe a spot could be set up surf-side.
KG

How about April or late march? Something like this needs posters, stickers, tee-shirts, a little website, maybe? It could be like a tiki carver's "Bike Week"! I'm there...I'll start sending my rum supply down in advance (need to get the tanker trucks lined up)

I think it's an excellent idea that probably needs it's own thread. I think it could be an outdoor event maybe on the beach next to the pool area. I see people sitting around the pool area sipping Mai Tai's as they watch the wood chips fly. Maybe a couple of bands also, some surf bands would be cool.

I'm gonna talk to some tiki peeps that are in on this in one way shape or form. Sven,Otto, and Bosko. The thing is there are some Westcoast greats that are really up there or probably did all of their drinking the first time around. My aim is to document the second round of carvers and the Titans from the first round . Have the old-schoolers talk story and show some of their stuff. I need to be respectful of the OG'ers wishes and limitaions, I have more wrinkles to iron out. UH_HUH.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 11:15 PM

sounds like something that will be talked about for generations. Gotta have da OG's there. Get my boy Milan Guanko to come to. I'll post a new tiki when I'm done thats was inspired by the masta. I've fell in love with his work mainly from the B.O.T also the ones I've seen at the Royal Hawaiian in Laguna beach and at Sams I think that was. I love the idea!

I was just chattin' with C'Al the other day about a gathering @ Caliente Tropics in like August when it's 115+! Start early in the a.m. on a wild "log" hunt w/ a mai Tai or 4 (cochella valley has a lot of down palms)then trek it back, carve it and who ever finishes first (thru last) get's their choice of the finshed pieces. That is, IF you finish without dying from heat stroke, alcohol poisoning or a rattle snake bite. Kinda like a "survival of the tiki fit'est-fest!" He mentioned something about having an egg toss but with coconuts and in fast-pitch style too!

Uhhh....Nope, Florida wins! (85 degrees, sunny, and plenty 'o shade!)

Damn...y'all have me excited now...What can I do to help get this thing 'shakin? (I've been drinking Knob Creek Bourbon...brings out my true southern drawl)...Wanna divvy up responsibilities? I'd love to help with the advertising end...I'll donate the tiki I carve there to help finance the event as well. It'll be more than worth it to hang with braddahs from all over, carve, and get buck wild for a weekend! Or pledge it to charity (after-school children's art programs?) to do some good and promote the thing. I'd say we'll need a big parking lot or some major beachfront to get the big day or two going.

Ohhh...I just had a hell of an idea....If we're calling it "War Of The Tiki Carvers" how about we get a medal made for all of the participants and fly General Leroy Schmaltz out to "decorate" them? Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Basement, I love the enthusiasm. I really think this could work. I'd be into donating the art or doing a poster for the event. I also agree that it should be in Florida, we need more tiki events! West coast has enough cool shit. I still like the phrase "East Coast Tiki Revival".
I do love the General Leroy Schmaltz idea!

Man.....do "I" smell an opened can of worms. Ask and you shall receive.....

Anywayz.....I guess it kinda looks like "Jimmy Carter".......This is what I did this past weekend. Groovy huh. It's 2-1/2ft tall.

C

Just an idol thought...how about having it in Atlanta in conjunction with the opening of Hale Tiki?

BK & Flounder:
I'm not a website, poster, drink stirs, matchbook, commemorative mug, event organizing kind of tiki worshipper. Too much hippie influence in my youth I suspect. Take the idea and run with it. I sincerely hope you carvers can make it happen, but please try not to step on the Hukilau or other already established events.
KG

?

Neat Tongaroa, Gary..

T

Thanks B.K.....

On 2003-12-02 12:11, Basement Kahuna wrote:
?

BK,
If your "?" is for me, I just mean if you want to do this in an informal manner at the Hawaiian Inn on the 17th of January let's firm it up. If you want to do it some other time or place with extra bells and whistles, go for it and good luck. I didn't mean you shouldn't do it. I meant I couldn't be much help setting it up.
KG

Hey guys, I'm the newest guy in town and I have a question for you. I was wondering where I get or how I go about getting a bundle of palmwood to begin carving? Do I go to a nursery or what? Also, is palmwood ready to carve right off the bat or is there a process before carving begins? Thank you all for your help...it's much appreciated.

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies