Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Weekend in Georgia...

Pages: 1 17 replies

(Note: Unfortunately our friend Purple Jade wiped out and hurt her knee yesterday so she couldn't make it for the weekend which sucked-That last photo's for you, dear...hope to see you and your Kane next time!) Had Tiki Kiliki over to the Paradise Room friday night along with our record collecting friend Bill Taylor for Pu Pu's and libations...(That's a gaggle of tikis by yours truly she's posing with in the photo!). A good time was had by all...Adjourned Saturday night to Trader Vics where me, Heather, Kiliki, Russell, Omar (Dr. Phonic here on TC), Kava King and Kava Queen, JTD, and none other than Derek Yaniger enjoyed the immense talents of Joel (Trader Vic's bartender extraordinaire) and some delicious Ahi Tuna skewers, Crab Rangoon, Coco Prawns, Polynesian Spareribs, and Kona Ice Cream....(Mmmmm). Derek was there to reveal the official Hukilau 2004 artwork (verrry tasty). Mark my words, friends, this guy is going to be a millionaire. He is destined for Josh Agle's sucess and beyond. He's that good. Really. I saw the portfolio. The big tikis at the street entrance were carved by none other than Barney West, whose work is throughout the place, along with lots of original Leroy Schmaltz works and tons of authentic New Guinea artifacts. I included a small teaser of photos here, but won't spoil it for you if you have never been to a classic, dyed-in-the-wool Trader Vic's! :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-11-16 08:56 ]

AAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
You guys....
I love all of ya!

Great pix, the Paradise room looks like a Tiki jungle! Those Barney West Tikis are so fine, and totally forgotten there in the back. It used to be the front entrance until they turned the street into a one way freeway on-ramp connector. Hidden treasures, only to be noticed by urban archeologists.

K

holy COWS!

that is one beautiful and vast tiki experience...thanks for posting all of the picks...i haven't seen anything like them...that place is MAMMOTH!

sheesh!

On 2003-11-16 01:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great pix, the Paradise room looks like a Tiki jungle! Those Barney West Tikis are so fine, and totally forgotten there in the back. It used to be the front entrance until they turned the street into a one way freeway on-ramp connector. Hidden treasures, only to be noticed by urban archeologists.

...I know, BigBro....and it's such a shame. They really should be moved into the dining area to get them out of the weather. They indeed are "mammoth" as Kooche said, and so far in good condition. That place is another true treasure, but their business has been slow lately. PATRONIZE THEM, SOUTHEASTERN TC MEMBERS!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-11-16 14:07 ]

TM

Hey, I'm headed up to GA for Thanksgiving where is this Paradise located?

The Atlanta Trader Vic's is located on the basement floor of the Atlanta Hilton in midtown...The elevator has it's own button. Don't forget to look behind you as you descend into the world of Vic's...there is a Tiki diorama behind the glass elevator.

TM

Thanks BK, Mrs. Tikimon and I will definitely make a date of Trader Vics...thank God for grandparents. Are there any other cool tiki spots you recommend in Hotlanta? (Not tiki, but is Matt's still cookin' up the best ribs and blues down by GaTech?)

K

BK,
I wish you had posted about this gathering. I would have met you guys at TV's. Next time let me know!

Scotty

Hey BK,

Were you at a "Knack Convention" that day??

(arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

I actually looked more Brian Epstien-ish.

PJ, Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope you heal quickly. BK, looks as though a good time was had by all.

Here's more pics from the weekend. The 3rd is the one and only Derek Yaniger. Great guy - he brought his portfolio for us to dream by. The last is me with some great friends from Birmingham. They came out for the Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Boys show that I saw AFTER Trader Vic's - whew! was I pooped at the end of the night.

For those of you that haven't yet had the pleasure of taking in libations at the Kon Tiki Paradise Room - I must tell you, it's amazing. Being there actually evokes those feelings you get when you walk into a vintage tiki bar, that tingling sensation. I love that place!

Thanks BK and Heather for hosting a great weekend and I look for to many more.

Dag Nabbit!!! Man I'm sorry I (and my wife, of course, who's fault it all was) missed that gathering! It ain't often that we have an opportunity such as that one there in these here parts.
Hope you guys had fun! Looks as if you might have. Hopefully these opportunities will become available more frequently (especially with the opening of the Halé Tiki an' all.).
Anyhow... Thanks for the Pics, BK! I've never actually seen anyone Tending to one of the Chinese Wood-Burning Ovens before! Great stuff!

Looks like you guys had a blast. I wish I could have joined you (damn knee!!). I'll be there next time for sure.

Brad

damn! y'all done made me homesick!

On 2003-11-17 15:00, Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens wrote:
I wish I could have joined you (damn knee!!).

DITTO...

And look at BK, all stylin' and profilin' in those pics. Wotta heartbreaker!

Definately check out their weekly goings on.
Free pu-pu from 5-7 weeknights, free tiki mugs (while supplies last) Tuesdays, and 4.50 Bahia (Pina Colada, basically) on Wednesdays.
Tastee. And the specials take down the dearness of the price tag a little. Course, be careful you don't do what I always do (literally, like 5 times now) and go for a drink, then have a tiki bowl , then an appetizer, then another tiki bowl....

I just love Tiki bowls. Something about the illicit joy of ordering more straws to build bridges to various bowls on the table. Must be the GaTech in me.

Pages: 1 17 replies