Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

I think you're right guys, I always thought the Zombie Village shot was mislabeled, but now it definitely looks different from Skipper Kent's.

Here's some renderings of Zombie Village:

...the two bars looked so close to each other, they could share artist's renderings:

-Trad'r Bill

I got a new PC recently - another angle of a dining room...

Notice the famous dinner menu and smaller drink menu... as well as two Genghis Khan mugs:

Enjoy-
~Trad'r Bill

Tradr Bill,

Great postcard, glad you won it. Really shows the amazing interior landscape skills that Skipper Kent brought to the place. He obviously had a green thumb (as exemplified by his Garden show entries).

DC

Finally found one of these ashtrays pictured here:

-Trad'r Bill

I picked up a nice little 3 set of luncheon and drink menus from Skipper Kent's.

I don't remember seeing this little piece of advice for longevity.

The choice is clear....RUM!!!

I also like it that a Polynesian Maiden would help you with your buffet selections, what service.

DC

Phew! I'd be dead by now if I wouldn't have started early! Next: How the VOLUME of rum you imbibe greatly extends your life expectancy!

8T

From the 1940's. A matchbook featuring both the SF location and Oakland.

The inside reads: WE TRADE IN AND SELL SHRUNKEN HEADS. TAPA CLOTH. HULA SKIRTS. BANKOK JEWELRY INDIA BRASS FROM BEN-ARES. WOOD CARVINGS NATIVE WEAPONS. RUMPUS ROOM DECORATIONS TROPICAL FOOD ETC. ALSO HAWAIIAN SHIRTS. "SKIPPER KENT"

Wouldn't you love to shop there today!

C

Nothing too wild here; an ad from a 1952 issue of The Playgoer.

Here is an ad from a 1956 edition of the Key Guide from southern California that included some locations in San Francisco.

Looks to be the same photo from the postcard I posted early in this thread.

DC

C

An ad from a 1951 issue of The Playgoer.

Note that the image on the left was also used on a Tonga Room menu. Which came first?

[ Edited by: clayfran 2016-03-09 07:41 ]

C

1950 Playgoer ad, during the run of "South Pacific"

C

Circa 1950 Playgoer ad

Pretty nice close up photo of the Skipper Kent's entrance.

DC

Pages: 1 2 60 replies