Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Sighting on SNL

Pages: 1 7 replies

Moments after I signed off from my last visit I turned on Comedy Central, as I often do before I leave for work, and I had a tiki sighting...

One of the Saturday Night Live re-runs they play - had Patrick Stewart from Star Trek in a skit that combined Star Trek and the Love Boat. Tim Meadows was Isaac the bartender and behind him on the shelves were a bunch of tiki mugs - a bunch of the PMP style non glazed mugs, a headhunter and some of those Mr. Bali Hai rip-offs.

Just thought I'd pass it along...if you wait a couple days I'm sure they'll air it again!

Johntiki
:drink:

On 2002-07-30 11:46, johntiki wrote:
One of the Saturday Night Live re-runs they play - had Patrick Stewart from Star Trek in a skit that combined Star Trek and the Love Boat. Tim Meadows was Isaac the bartender and behind him on the shelves were a bunch of tiki mugs - a bunch of the PMP style non glazed mugs, a headhunter and some of those Mr. Bali Hai rip-offs.

Shortly after that episode originally aired, I attended a Star Trek convention where Patrick Stewart auctioned off the Enterprise cruise ship model used in that sketch. It went for $4800 (all to charity, of course)!

--cindy

M

Hey Jab: I told you we were just a bunch of Trekkies. :)

-martin

T

Shucks! 2 trekkie comparisons in one week! I better start attending more of these tiki central events to prove that we aren't all geeks!

W

On an early episode of SNL there was a Muppets piece which featured a couple talking or singing moai (I think it was SNL, they had Muppets on it for the first season, I was a kid so it's hard to be sure). I asked once before wheter anyone here remebered this but apparently it jogged no memories.

J

I should have prefaced my comment by making it clear that I am not a Trekkie - I know nothing about Star Trek nor have I ever watched the show - it scares me to think that someone might misconstrue my mention of Star Trek as a sign of me being a Trekkie!

Thanks for hearing me out,
Johntiki
:drink:

On 2002-07-30 14:48, woofmutt wrote:
apparently it jogged no memories.

Mine is jogged...wasn't your typical Muppets, no Kermit, Miss Piggy etc, but some rather weird stuff by Henson & Co. I remember seeing it as a kid, must have been 8 or 9 then.

From http://snltranscripts.jt.org/75/75a.phtml
The Muppets

Ploobis (Jim Henson) & Scred (Jerry Nelson) visit the Mighty Favog (Frank Oz).

A little more research dug up this:
http://www.jetlink.net/~grysken/wwgorch.html

I think this is what you mean, Woofmutt.

Happy reading!

Patrick

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2002-07-30 22:23 ]

I vaguely remember that sketch, though I had forgotten that it was on SNL... They had some sort of catch phrase - I think it was "Talk to Me". That's what the Moai head said when someone approached. Hadn't thought about that in some time...

Pages: 1 7 replies