Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

The round as opposed to Fan back chair is called Papason

T

I call them Tura Satana chairs!

H

This is funny, I just saw the movie Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill. She was great in it.

The Sarah Palin Seventies Alaskan High School Prom chair?

Here's two of the peacock chairs that I've got.

My girlfriend found this one for me at a thrift store by my house

And after telling myself not to buy anymore peacock chairs, I found this one on craigslist last night for $30!
I've got another chair that I posted a while back. Also, with my new HUGE edition I've got one more small peacock chair that I need to get rid of (I live in an apartment!). It looks to be the same as the one the Kreepytiki posted, and it's FREE to anyone who can come by and pick it up. PM me if you're interested.

T

On 2006-08-23 18:37, Tiki Matt wrote:
I call 'em cheesy.

That settles it, then. DEFINATELY tiki.

A Trader Vic's smoking chair?

DC

T

in france they called it the Emmanuelle Chair I guess

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2009-06-17 21:48 ]

kindling?.....the small room swallower!?

I've been seeing them making a comeback lately when a photographer wants to go for a retro 60's or 70's look.

Here's Sienna Miller on this month's cover of British GQ:

I picked one up a couple weeks ago at a garage sale for a whooping $2.00. HOWEVER, I'd be willing to pay like $25 if Sienna came with it.

The Queen or Peacock Chair might be the one of the oldest pieces of tropicalia that eventually became a staple for the tiki bar. Here's one being used at the "House Without A Key" in Honolulu back in 1928.

:up: The guy in the middle looks like Gecko's great-grandpappy if you ask me.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-01-03 22:46 ]

Look how envious the 2 girls are on the sides, wishing they had a peacock/queen/princess/70s prom chair

Do they make a resin coated wicker version of that chair, or some other weather-proof variant?

Love the dutch boy hair styles.

Just picked this one up for my tiki room. Has some nice detail. :)

Back in the 70's I had one that was more like a sarcophagus shape. It was the only cool piece of furniture I had when I first got married, got it at Cost Plus. There is something regal feeling about sitting in those kind of chairs.

Reviving this old thread.
Saw an interesting video from Vox about the Peacock Chair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V10kWLh71U

Will also post in the "Celebrities in a Peacock Chair" thread.

In search of a tiki name

[ Edited by: headpaneer 2019-10-15 10:04 ]

Pages: 1 2 64 replies