Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Finding tiki in the strangest of places...

Pages: 1 3 replies

A couple weeks ago a distant uncle had passed on and today my brother and I went out to his home 50 miles away with my parents to take one last look... as kids we spent weekend days out there... he had 12 acres of woods and inland lake property...

Its been understood that one of my older cousins on my dad's side would get much of what was there since he was my uncle's godchild but we were told we could go out to the house and take a few things if we were interested... I immediately thought maybe there would be something tiki or Polynesian since my uncle always was a collector of many different things...

Well, the property had fallen into disrepair and we hadn't been there in about 17 years... but I found some things to scavenge... he had a lot of tiki torches laying about in a shed... the cans were rusted but I salvaged 8 thick bamboo poles...

In a cluttered back room in the basement I came across a fairly new 3.25 horsepower electric chainsaw... needs a new chain but perfect for cutting my logs...

My brother and I found many books, my uncle was a mason and had a lot of building and remodeling books... a bunch of vintage homebulding books from the 60's... no tiki there, but as I went through a 1975 Ortho Book, "Garden Construction
Know-How I stumbled upon this picture...

Caption reads: Woven palings provide backdrop for an exotic garden scene.

Look a little closer and...

Moai!

So... a little tiki surprise afterall... and I got a nice little chainsaw!

And I just wanted to share a few cool pictures from the Cabin and Vacation Home book I got...

The cover:

A home built from a wine tank!?

And one from Hawaii...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-12-14 22:46 ]

Cool Moai and cool book. Another item to add to my ebay wishlist!

B

Is that a Cat, or a Billy-Bumbler taking a snooze on the Ledge?

Thanks for the pics. I like to pick those books up at thrift stores whenever I can, too. All those homes with the flagstone fireplaces and windowed outside walls are too cool.

http://www.samgambino.com

Pages: 1 3 replies