Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

The meaning of your USERname

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

P
Pyro posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 8:05 PM

My name is pyro on many different websites, I have used that name for a long time. I work as a pyro technician. I love my job, so, I go by Pyro.

You'll have to ask Soccer Tiki about mine :)

despite what Tikiwahine says mine comes from where I am from and not that I have been rumored to wear assless chaps ...

My first name is Bryan, middle name Dean. And one of my favorite singers is Dean Martin. Bryan Dean + Dean Martin = BryanDeanMartin.

And for those who may know me as "NutBarnDeity", it's an anagram of my first and last name.

G

I'm GatorRob because I'm too lame to come up with anything as clever as Sabu the Coconut Boy or Humuhumu. But anyway, my name is Rob and I've lived in Florida since I was a wee lad of 13. Florida has lots of gators. And Gatorland (anyone besides me ever been?). And I graduated from the University of Florida (that's Gators with a capital "G"!)

I picked mine because the HelloTiki line of children's products is gonna be so darn cute. I can see caucasian children wearing my logo everywhere.

I was looking at a map of Central California, and noticed two towns near Visalia.

The towns are Hanford and Lemore.

Hanford... Lemore.... Hmmmm.....

Yeah I've noticed that too. It's very close to my name, except my last name has two "o"s in it.

My bad. The towns are actually Hanford and Lemoore (with two 'o'). :wink:

i recently visited a good friend of mine on 'hanford street' in columbus, ohio...

M

Lincoln had a secretary named Hanford, and Kennedy had one named Lemoore. So, I don't think I'll be standing too close to hanford at the next SF Tiki event. Even if his "Tiki Hunk" factor is only supplanted by Lars'(and maybe The Jab when he wears those righteous blazers).

midnite

my TC name? Well, back in the early 80's me and HBO didn't quite see eye to eye.

G

Mine is obvious, I suppose. My name's Gwen, and I was once given the nickname "Gwenners."

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

LOL Hanford!!

Now that it's too late, I'm sorry I can't create Master Criminal Alter TC Ego Visalia Firebaugh.

Tikivixen is one of two nicknames a friend of mine gave me. The other was "Tiki Temptress" but that just doesn't trip off the tongue quite so pleasingly. I was thusly monikered after I helped him finally get started on his own home tiki bar (which has since hosted many a gathering, I'm happy to say.)Yep, I remember the day we moved that HEAVY bar into place. Whew.

My real name in Hawaiian was much too suggestive for me to have chosen back in my more modest, pre-I'm-40-so-who-cares-days. Er, it's Elikapeka. Hmmm.

Naah. I'm used to Tikivixen, so I guess I'll stick with it.

If we don't like our user names, can we change it? Or are we stuck with it, like guys named 'Francis'?

V

I had a van I converted into a tiki van. I wanted custom plates that said TikiVan, but it was taken, so I tried vantiki, then I thought of VonTiki, rhymes with Kontiki and it has a little low brow to it like Von Franco or Von Dutch, so it stuck, i'm VonTiki, but my real name is Dustin.

T

Hi! What great stories. Mine is simple. People at work were teasing me about my "Tiki" thing, and started calling me Tiki Woman. Then wasting time at work, I went to the DMV website to see if the license plate Tikiwmn was taken. Somehow I applied for it without planning to. So now I have the license plate and it's my user name because I couldn't think of anything else.

I bought a Mr. Bali Hai mug on my first visit to Oceanic Arts about 7 years ago. I was sipping a potent umbrella drink from one of the openings in his skull when I signed up for an account on Metafilter back in 2000, and I've stuck with the name ever since.

'
'Vid posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2006 10:21 AM

Alas, no tiki inspired tales behind my name. And it has nothing to do with videos or my vintage movie trailer collection. 'Vid is short for David. My elder brother stuck me with that way back when and it remains today. Just too many Daves around I guess!

T

On 2006-01-24 17:53, tikipedia wrote:
I was looking at a map of Central California, and noticed two towns near Visalia.

The towns are Hanford and Lemore.

Hanford... Lemore.... Hmmmm.....

I was driving up to Monterey last year, and in the area you're talking about, heading north was the sign:
Lemoore 5 miles
Hanford 15 miles
I probably have the distances wrong, in fact I'm sure I do, but it was funny nevertheless. I figure they'd be in the right order heading south.
I'm not even going to bother explaining my user name. Duhhhh. I picked it cause I have no imagination!

Come out to the soccer field on Sunday and I'll show you!

O-kay. Mine gets misinterpreted a lot- and I'd change it but I've found that being the misanthropic curmudgeounous individual that I am, I really cant be bothered with finding a new screen name. But- contrary to first impressions- I actually like life just fine. I have a ball. Good times all around :).

I was in a punk band around 81-82-83 and I lived in this seedy beach-type area of San diego where guys (the guys I grew up with, for one- for some?) made a living selling drugs to the swabbys on shore leave from WestPAC. Anyhow- I walked into my friend's house one day and he's in the middle of this transaction with some guys fresh off the farm in Ohio and I look like death warmed over- way pale from too much booze and drugs, mohawk and leather and denim and not really taking care of myself. Anyhow- just to be funny, when I walk in and these farm boys look over at me and see the spectre that was me at that time and they do their usual double take- my friend that's selling them their mediocre watered down drugs doesn't even turn but just says "Hey Lifehater- how's it going?"

and it stuck from there.

As if that weren't enough- when I was about 16- a year after that, I'd guess- I woke up one morning with an aching head and found that we'd tattooed the upper case version "LIFEHATER" on my head in half inch high letters. Obviously my mom was bummed the next christmas when she had to look at it- but whatever- she got over it. She's a rock.

I guess I was a real test. My daughter's exactly like me. Tough nut to crack. :)

[ Edited by: T_lifehater 2006-01-28 22:31 ]

[ Edited by: T_lifehater 2007-07-01 17:19 ]

I remember thinking MrSmiley was MrsMiley...back in the Yahoo drink group...oops

My name I use alot..taken from the fact I own a liquor store and I like red wines...linking with the computer made Caber-Net just right...I use Dead-R-N-U as my gaming name if anyone even shoots me down lemme know your a TC'er

My name comes from my last name, "Mayer," and when I joined Waitiki, I was immediately appointed the Mayor of Exotica by professahummingflowah and Mr. Ho.

[ Edited by: The Mayor Of Exotica 2006-02-01 10:38 ]

A

Let's see...Ari for Arizona and Don in Hawaiian is Kona. Soooo.....AriKona.

There was a cool bar back in San Clemente,CA that we used to go to quite a bit (when we still lived there). There were usually several people in our group - we'd go in on a Saturday afternoon and I would always coerce everyone into ordering mai tais. We always had the same bartender serving us. About our third visit to this establishment, as we seated ourselves at the bar, the bartender says "Hey- it's the Mai Tai Mafia!". And it stuck...

My favorite drink at the Honolulu restaurant. Don't get me wrong....I loved the Mai Tais, but you could keep the mug the Tiki Tumbler came in. Those were happy memories....staggering out of the Honolulu with a belly full of tropical drinks and a tiki mug in each hand.

My name started out as a way of describing my style of tiki art and decor. Ive used it as my business name for years. Locally people who have known me for a while as a Tiki Artist call me Tiki Dawn..... not to be confused with Dawn Tiki. My name really is Dawn. But I'm using Sophista-tiki here so there is no confusion with Dawn Tiki. Much respect to her!

L

Way back when I first joined yahoo, I was driving a 74 volkswagen thing (type 181. I still have the VW in my garage in pieces to restore, but at the time it was my most precious possesion. Thus lovevw181 was born.

I guess Since I've been lurking and posting a bit more lately.
I should delve into this. Not that it's that hard to figure out if you see me in person, since I'm 6 ft. 3 in tall and weighing in at 260 lbs. I'm a bit bigger than most people.
When we got our first computer, my brother asked me what I wanted to use as a e-mail address. I couldn't think of anything. He siad since I was into tiki, he suggested tikidude, but it was taken. So he added Big to the front of it, and it was available. So there you have it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

K

I don't consider myself a tikiphile, but I'm heavily influenced by my brother's love for all things tiki. My name, Kaikaina means brother(younger sibling of same sex) in Hawaiian. I thought it was appropriate. I found a great Hawaiian translator online at: http://fm.hisurf.com/hawaiian/dictionary.taf?_function=list&_start=1

I decided to join Tiki Central after my brother mentioned a few of the postings. I visited the website and spent the next 3 days reading stories (Bungy - I love ya), looking at pictures, and dreaming until I decided to sign-up myself. I've only been to 2 polynesian restaurants, but I've at least been to the best: The Kahiki in Columbus, OH and Trader Vic's in Atlanta. My sister's wedding reception was at the Kahiki, and I went to one of Tiki-Kiliki's Tiki Torch Nights at Trader Vic's in Atlanta and had a great time. King Kukulele performed and I had my copy of "Tiki Road Trip" signed by James Teitelbaum.

CL

BUMP

I love Coconut, coco lopez, chocolate, and at times I can be somewhat crazy. I'm somewhat whimsical, and at times avant guard and irreverent. Not into conformity usually. It just made sense.

And it sounded better than attaching Tiki to my name. About a zillion "Tiki's" on the board. No offense, that's fine, just wanted to do something a bit different.

Had I had thought about it further, I may have gotten really creative with a Polynesian name -- more fitting of my interest, but this seems to fit me for now.

akamai translates to "clever"...

..I'm sure we all know the "haole" part, saavy?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 19, 2006 1:29 PM

Gman - 'cause I work for Big Brother....and yes, I am watching you!

Well the "Stiki" comes from the machine I use to make stickers, a roland "Stika", then I came up w/ Stiki Tiki

Z

I've been into the Zombie movie horror genre for a long time. Night of the Living Dead remains one of my favorite films. Also like the drink and tiki. Zombieki seemed like a natural fit for me.

Hale Malia means "House of Memory" in Hawaiian. My parents were lucky (and akamai) enough to buy some property in Kahana, Maui in the early seventies. There was nothing there at the time and they were able to name the street on which the property was located. They named it Hale Malia. We spent many happy vacations there but sadly had to sell about 15 years ago because property taxes etc. had become outrageous. Malia is also my "Hawaiian name". Certainly appropriate for TC.

[ Edited by: Hale Malia 2006-09-26 09:59 ]

The first day I went to look at tikis on eBay I found something wonderful. The auction was going to end in 30 minutes. I needed to register. I asked Dan what he wanted to be called and he said Tiki Hunter. I tried that and it was already taken. After about ten tries with everything good used he gave up and said you do it and left the room. Time was running out. I thought well lets see Dan collects tikis, why? Because Dan loves tikis. Got it danlovestikis. I finished registering and lost the auction to a sniper.

Later when Dan asked what his name on eBay had ended up he wasn't too thrilled. But it's really more my logo because he never touches the computer for emails or eBay. Wendy

My moniker of choice is Khan_Tiki_Mon. When I first thought of what to call my Tiki alter ego I initially thought of Kon Tiki Man in honor of Thor Heyerdahl's adventure with the Kon Tiki. At some times during my Tiki quest I have had undeserved thoughts of grandeur and during those times ideas like King Tiki or King of Tikis would creep into my consciousness. Khan is a ruler of a tribe and it sounds like Kon so you put the two together and you would have Khan Tiki Man. Not satisfied with that I changed Man to Mon. Every summer we vacation on the Outer Banks in North Carolina. My two favorite bar /restaurants there are the Rundown Cafe and Mama Kwan's Tiki Bar. I do characterize the Rundown as a Tiki bar (not everyone would agree). It has large Tikis outside, Tiki sconces in the dining room, and the upstairs bar is called the Tsunami Lounge. It is however distinctively Jamaican inspired (the signature dish, Rundown soup, is a Jamaican fish soup with sweet potatoes - delicious!). My other favorite haunt, Mama Kwan's, describes their cuisine as Jawaiian; a blend of Jamaican and Hawaiian. So, in honor of those places I changed Man to Mon to sound a little Jamaican. Final product is Khan_Tiki_Mon.

P

Mine is related to United Airline's frequent flyer program, in which I'm a Premier Executive (PremEx) 1K Flyer...their program's highest elite tier given to customers that continue to fly over 100,000 actual air miles per year.

It has nothing to do with tiki, except perhaps for a whole bunch of trips to Hawaii over the decades. But it's been my screen name over on another bulletin board I've been a contributor to since 1998 (flyertalk.com)...and I thought I would just use the same one here.

I'm with you PremEx. My screen name is one I use on another board, shidoobee.com. It's a rolling Stones message board. My name has nothing to do with tikis or The Gidget movies for that matter. Back in 1980 my softball team was in our sponsors pizza parlor having some pizza and beer. It was after hours so the place was closed. When the softball team we played tried to come in and was denied they mooned us.......I was the only one on our team who ''returned fire'' my neighbor called me ''Moondog'' and it stuck.....they name that is!!!!!!...since there are so many moondogs in the world I use my birthday at the end, April 26...nuff said :)

D

my name is not all that " tiki" either" wanted a second email account and my name was taken. Not wanting to be john1234567893455 or something like that I just reversed the letters of my last name. dibroc si eman tsal ym

T

My name has absolutely nothing to do with tiki. At all. Besides having a t & an i.
I lurked for a long time before signing up, but in my usual fashion failed to notice everyone's glaringly obvious user-names, dammit. Now it's too late. Stuck with this horrible name left over from old forums long gone...
Which is why I gots the AKA down there.
(PS - do you have to pay a fine, or do some car-detailing or take Hanford out to dinner to change yer moniker? Realizing it's bad form to change it some 70+ posts in, there must be some ritual of punishment. Walk over hot coals with a scorpion-bowl balanced on your head? Ah well...)

I actually got this moniker when I was at University in Edinburgh, Scotland.
I took a job with Cadenhead's which is a major stockist of bespoke cask single malt whisky, and demerara rum.

My manager, Mr. Brody, commented often about my state of fitness for my week-end work shift after a hard night in the clubs and pubs of Auld Reekie. As well as, my proclivity towards expensive bottles of our Cadenhead's Aged Rum.

The Scots truly are inventive word smiths and patter merchants with great quick wit. One groggy and soggy morning, I could not get my sh** together, and I clumsily dropped
a six pack of 32 year old Ardbeg. Tam Brody shouted to me MIND THE BOXES RUM NUMB DAVEY!

From that, the RND stuck as the ware housemen and clerks started using it as my handle.
Years later, Alan Black, the head barman, at the Edinburgh Castle Pub in the Tenderloin of San Fran learned the story. He started calling me RND again.

It just seemed a suitable name for Tiki Central when I joined, and I used it for myspace as well.

The funny thing is my staff at my restaurant checked out myspace, and now they are addressing me by the name.

O

This has been my on line name for years. Ojai for where I live and Timo which is short for Timothy. Like Sabu, I almost picked Tiki Tim but since I have the beachcomber rather than pure tiki style, I thought it best to stick with Ojaitimo.

thump, bump, hump..
What ever!

Thanks for the bump, I would not have seen this. I like reading about handle origins.

I have used variations of "Mango" as my online handle ever since I got online in '95. In grade school my mom would pack traditional Filipino lunches. I cannot tell you the number of times I would have killed for a simple PB&J or ham & cheese sandwich when I was 7! I would regularly get taunted by friends for having pork adobo, lumpia and steamed rice, or perhaps fish-head soup, steamed vegetables, and pancit. She'd spare me from packing balut and deinguan for school. Along with the lunch, my mom would always pack me a desert in the form of a mango, so I picked-up the nickname Mango along the way and embraced it.

On other boards, I use MadMango or MysticMango.

T

I might as well explain this.

I like food.

Alot of the old Polynesian restaurants used to serve Cantonese Food. Sweet and Sour Shrimp, that bright orange colored sauce...it just reminds me of Tiki restaurants for some reason.
I used to experiment making different kinds of sauces when BBQ-ing, and I came up with this idea of Tikiyaki Sauce. Sweet,sour,tangy, spicy...One day I will market this stuff....as soon as I get the recipe right. I usually just combine a whole bunch of different sauces until it tastes right.

Anyway, I've used it as a screen name for a pretty long time now, so when I decided to make the CD, the Tikiyaki Orchestra just sounded rediculous enough to make it memorable. Also, the fact that the CD was basically a solo record made the Orchestra part even more rediculous....except now, there IS an orchestra.

Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al both call me Teriyaki for some reason.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I love this thread...

I've had the screen name Bogielocks for almost 12yrs now. When I signed up for AOL back in the dial-up days, I had a hard time finding a screen name with Rick in it. Unless I wanted to be Rick18263541. So, being a Humphrey Bogart fan, I started trying bogie variations. Of course, Bogie was taken, I then saw a Goldielocks tape left by my niece. I thought, Goldielocks, Bogielocks, then Bingo! I had a screen name..

Hope I didn't bore you...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies