Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

The meaning of your USERname

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 279 replies

T

TikiGuy is the most brilliantly lame name I could think of - yet I was surprised it wasn't taken. My name really is Guy and I really do collect Tiki.

Normally I used Wuyd (in the Gothic world - that is bauhaus/FOTN/SOM/ gothic world,not so much Marilyn Manson gothic), which is the old germanic word that Guy is derived from (and you thought it was French!) It means, guide, woodsman or farmer. Since I'm a teacher type it works. I sometimes use MedievalGuy because my other passion is medieval history which I am studying at university.

What's the difference between a goth and a visigoth. When they played a home game they were the Goths, when they oplayed away they were the Visigoths. (Sorry, dumb medieval joke.)

Man, your standards are low!

Actually... That is quite true. Still a pretty cool name, though.

I think that it translates to something like Hell/Underworld-Priest/Expert.

I straight stole my name from a Supersuckers song. :D

KK

Stolen as well, from my favorite instant mud drink.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Dec 28, 2003 9:09 AM

On 2003-12-27 17:16, Cool Manchu wrote:
I straight stole my name from a Supersuckers song. :D

Cool, one of my favorite bands. 8)

R

When I lived in Vegas from '96 till 2000 I seemed suddenly drawn to all things Rat Pack, music, places, styles. Then returning to Key West I awoke to my lust for all things 'Tiki' and pre-Castro Cuban. In actuality it had been a long time coming, collecting primitve art from my 3rd & 4th world travels overseas and my sideways relationship and experiences with Cuba. Funny really, I don't believe in reincarnation, but sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong part of the 20th Century.........hmmmm

I've had this screen name on AOL since about '94 and my short-term memory ain't what it once was (as far as I can recall) so I recycled it here, figuring the mid-centry reference (see below) would be apt.

It refers to the tweed-covered guitar amps of the '50s, particularly those made by Fender. Due to thier circuit design and by today's standards, low-wattage, you can turn them up to thier operational "sweet spot" without blowing anybody out of the room. I've got an early '50s tweed Supro amp with a field-coil speaker that absolutely kills for slide guitar. In addition to the legends back in the day that used these types of amps, modern plank spankers that rely on tweed amps for thier signature tones include Billy F. Gibbons (ZZ Top) and Joe Walsh (Eagles).

Hi, my name is Mark ... and I'm a guitar geek.

F

Mine is left over from Yahoo Clubs too.
I had just bought a cool old fondue set at the time. So in a drunken moment at the computer I signed up as "Fonduie_For_Youie". When the forum was moved here I shortened it to Fonduie.

In my real life I am a geotechnical engineer . I could tell you more about dirt than you ever dreamed of (except in my industry we call it soil, sounds more profesisonal). Anyway, as a hobby, I design and create themed graphics (the kind of stuff you see around theme parks and resorts). I haved made several signs and keep them around the house or have given them away as gifts. A good theme design includes great graphics and great verbage. Zulu Magoo is just a name I came up with years ago that I included into my "Cool names that I might be able to use sometime in the future" list. A few other names on that list to be used some other time in some other place include; Hong Kong Charlie, Kalahari McGillacutty, Charlie Tango, Calcutta Charlie, Oil Can Harry, Typhoon Murphy, Shanghai Kelly, Tommy Tsunami, Emperor Fong

I have driven a 1963 Ford Futura Convertible for most of my life and the nickname of my 1964 Mid Century Modern home (with its tiki styled dining room) is the
Futura House." Thus Futura Girl was born...
It's also a nod to our friend Vintage Girl...

D

Where has Vintage girl been? I hope all is well :)

I pray daily that we are visited by the cleansing magnificence of the All-Mighty Atom. Only it's power can wash away our sins and cleanse the filth from our decadent, decaying world. I glory in all things Atomic.

"Atomic Cocktail" is the title of a 1945 Slim Gaillard hymn.

PS: "Vintage Girl" has not been around as she is preparing our shelter and we don't have internet access. But you can view our progress:

http://www.conelrad.com/atomic_honeymooners.htm

"May the Blessing of the Bomb, and the Fellowship of the Holy fallout descend upon us all."

I believe this should be the correct link:
http://www.conelrad.com/atomic_honeymooners.html

My username comes from my lifelong love of all things vintage. I grew up in a 1930's clapboard house, watched classic and silents films, collected antique dolls and toys as a kid and read antique or vintage books.

My mom is mainly responsible for my interests since she and I would go antique hunting in thrift stores or yard sales when I was a kid and when money was tight (which was often) she bought me clothes from the Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift stores - sometimes they were vintage kid's clothes. She would also buy adult dresses for me to play with. Thus began the collection. By the time I was a teenager I had just as many vintage clothes as contemporary clothes. Since I couldn't afford to keep up with the trendy kids, I decided to start making use of the vintage half of my wardrobe. Lo and behold, I didn't get laughed at, but in fact got people asking me where I bought my clothes. I found this ironic considering my mom used to tell me as a kid to not let the other kids know where my clothes came from. (She was embarrassed that she couldn't always afford new clothes for me.)

I still have the red chiffon 1960's cocktail dress I used to play dress up in - and yes, I've since grown into it.

8T

Thought I would refresh this topic because we have so many new members since it died down. Would like to hear from the TC "class of 2004" as to how they chose their monikers.

I'm not new, but I never responded to this thread.

I got this nickname in law school when I purchased a .357 6 inch blue steel Taurus revolver from a friend, and started researching the following careers: CIA, FBI and Marines. I ended up training with the Marines, but that only lasted 2 weeks and then I dropped out.

But don't worry, I'm mostly harmless...

wink

T

Tiki for my love of the TIKI and TOA the Maori word Warrior

Z

I've never met a zebra or a tiki that I didn't like! The underlying story is that I originally wanted to use "QuaggaTiki". The quagga is a subspecies of zebra that was taken for granted due to their large herds, and hunted into extinction around 1900. I didn't want to curse the tiki by adding quagga to it, so I chose zebra.

Overall, the combination is a reminder to myself not to take what was once abundant for granted. Both tikis and zebras can be tacky, fun, or serious, and what tiki bar is complete without the Tretchikoff "Fighting Zebras"? (They were fighting about a tiki).

It's also a nice metaphor for the "Safari Tiki Modern" decor my home has evolved into. If I could get an Eichler house, that would be tiki heaven on earth.

My mom claims that she took me into the Enchanted Tiki Room at the tender age of 8 months, because she couldn't wait to see the "new show". Yes, I am not much younger than the ETR. Anyway, she says that it was the first "attraction" at the park she took me to, and that I was "hypnotized." When she visits, she sighs dejectedly looking at some of the tiki-osity of my house, and says, "I blame myself." She also claims that my obsession with zebras is from my first movie being, "Ice Station Zebra" at the Cinerama Dome in L.A., even though there are no zebras in it!

[ Edited by: on 2004-08-09 20:16 ]

D

I have had the nickname of Doc, for as far back as I can remember, this do to the fact that, Doc Haliday and I are related. With passion for tikis and rum drinks, Doc Tiki just felt right, its time to put on a bruda Iz cd ,tip a few rum and cokes and carve some more.

ohana Larry/Doc Tiki

[ Edited by: doctiki on 2004-08-09 21:30 ]

Wow...Doctiki...that's very odd indeed. I'm also related to the larger than life Doctors of of Dodge City. If you're not kidding, we should have a chat about that some time. Your kinfolk was quite a sculptor...but I bet you knew that.

When I was getting my undergraduate degree I was the biggest screw off on earth. the only thing I worked hard at was cartooning. I had a daily nespaper cartoon based on a cow..he lived in a world of humans...because his dad was a sperm doner who was too lazy to masterbate. (so he stole bovine sperm from the schools ag dept and sold it for his own)

I never thought about what exactly he was sposta be until one day somone aske me his last name...and Gigantalope was all I could think of. It's a silly word I made up.

But..I guess it's mine.

I akshuly have a fiberglass Herford painted like a zebra who IS the actual Gigantalope...but for here and now, he and I can share the handle.

For quite awhile I never

H

I grew up as a hill'bil'ly back in the old days in the mountains of the South, thus the name Hiltiki.Yeah, that's right, that's it, really, for sure, no really, no kidding.(:

As a slave to retail, I am often referred to as the "Stuff-O-Rama Lady" more than my real name so now I answer to both.

A

Hmm. My user name stems from my surname, which is Hart. I've always been known as 'Harty', the same way Smith becomes Smithy or Jones to Jonesy etc etc.....
The 'H' was never pronounced so Harty became Arty. If I ever had to write it down, it became Arti. I carve tikis occassionally for a bit of fun (and cash!) and wanted a signature name, hence Artiki.
Great thread. I've enjoyed reading through all of the posts listed originally.

F
foamy posted on Tue, Aug 10, 2004 6:00 AM

Sailboats, beaches and bodyboards. I like (love) salt water and just about anything having to do with it or on it. "foamy" was an instant choice. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that I shaved that morning. Curious thing I noticed this weekend. Out of about 200 boats involved in this past regatta, at least a eight or more boats had tiki/island-type names. Saw one crew decked out in trop flower shirts and another with custom tiki head shirts and more than one tiki integrated in a boats name. Tiki and salt water - kind'a go together.

pretty simple on this end....i play
congas and other ethnic percussion in a
couple bands up north in Wisconsin...and
the tiki part is a given!

I am always ragin', swingn' at the fences i tell ya', and the Rarotongan tikis are my favorite style so there ya have it, The Ragin' Rarotongan was born of frustration and stress.

Mine's not too interesting...
"Mach" is the first four letters of my last name and, as Conga said, the Tiki part is a given.

Kawentzmann I kept from the days we all met at Yahoo! (A change for the better for sure!!!)
It is just the latter part of Kahuna Kawentzmann which I use playing guitar and dj-ing.
What does it mean? Kahuna is obvious, the hawaiian priest with his spiritual knowledge. When I decided for it (in 1995) I was in a surfband and thought for some reason (mostly the Beach Party movies) that Kahunas have a surfing connection and are entitled to surf longer boards and better spots than plain people. But today I know that these types are Ali’is.

Kawentzmann is really old german, so there are various ways to spell it. It survived from the medieval times when it meant anything big - a large rock for instance. Today it’s hardly used but by sailors, who use it as a name for a big, sudden wave. But in days gone by, the men who worked in sea harbours called the harbour-tax man Kawentzmann, these might have been serious, scary city employees.

So I have a name with some hawaiian, some german, something spiritual, something scary and some ocean. I also like the two K’s, as Walter Matthau (or was it Jack Lemmon?) said in The Sunny Boys: “Words with a K are funny!”

KK

http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Kahuna_Kawentzmann/

http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Kahuna_Kawentzmann/images/sm-152823.jpg

[ Edited by: Kawentzmann on 2004-08-10 14:49 ]

B

Mine is no big deal just as it sounds its My art or Bens art or Benzart.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-08-21 08:43 ]

What a sensational thread...

My name comes from the memory that started it all for me -- a wonderful polynesian-pop restaurant on Pico in West LA called "KELBO'S", where Arhur Lyman ruled the jukebox, the ceiling was a forest of marine life and luminous glass floats, bare-chested sailors chased topless wahinis around on the menus, and best of all, right above the cash register above the main entrance, was a full-suit hard-hat diver prone beside a yawning treasure chest brimming with jewels and doubloons. He had a bowie-knife sunk into his chest, a lurid crimson stain oozing around it, and a giant octopus' tentacle was reaching for him. Whether it was the octopus who stabbed the poor guy or not, I didn't know or care -- it was 20,000 Leagues meets Beneath The 12 Mile Reef, and it sent me to the moon, a long, long time ago. That's what did it to me...

Cheers and Fabloha nui to All!

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

Since I continue to annoy, irritate, and torture people by playing the ookoolaylay, I decided to incorporate it in my screen name.

On 2004-08-10 16:18, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
What a sensational thread...

My name comes from the memory that started it all for me -- a wonderful polynesian-pop restaurant on Pico in West LA called "KELBO'S"

Kelbo's! Nothing like a flaming drink! All of the drinks were lit on fire and there were fire extinguishers at every table! Loved that joint!

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.