Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Making Fake Bamboo

Pages: 1 2 63 replies

DejaVoodoo, I think you will have a hard time getting the home improvement store to cut that PVC for you, but no harm in asking :)

Here's another PVC faux bamboo technique with a little more dimension at the knuckles. Posted by TC's Kewlava (who hasn't been around in a while). The PVC is heated with a torch and then compressed so the knuckle bulges out. This is a picture of unfinished "shamboo" but it shows the bunge well

S
sir2u posted on Mon, Aug 2, 2010 3:21 PM

I just made my first PVC bamboo piece. It took about 20 minutes and looks absolutely real. Burnt it with a torch to make nodes, then brushed simple amber shellac on, that's it. Thanks tikicentral website!

S
sir2u posted on Tue, Aug 24, 2010 4:21 PM

Here's a wood rack I built out of pvc to look like bamboo.

Hey guys - thanks for the burn and compress/ amber shellac technique!

Used it to create a giant basket for my pool's inflatables.

The rope is not really holding it together - just for decoration.

I left one PVC end exposed because people refuse to believe it's not bamboo until I show them the white innards of the pipe.

Thanks again!

S

Great ideas here! I've been playing with this method and I think I've got it down. I have a tikified BBQ area with fairly soft lighting and I need some spotlights on my grill so I can see what the heck I'm cooking. I want to combine this fake bamboo idea with some sort of hanging spotlight idea. I can make a simple spotlight but hey, that's no fun. If any of you have any unique ideas, please post them and I'll try them out. Thanks in advance!

J

I'm curious how the pvc faux bamboo is holding up in the elements for those that have their's outside?

I live in Las Vegas and the sun can destroy anything. I have some faux bamboo under the patio and some in more direct sunlight. The protected bamboo can go a couple of years while the direct sun could use a touch up every year. I put several coats on my PVC when I originally make it. I start with a primer, then 2-3 coats of paint followed by a coat of amber shellac. When I 'touched up' the bamboo last year, I just put on a coat of amber shellac and it looked great.

J

I don't think shellac is usually for outdoor use? I wonder if there is another product that would work better outdoors?

Does it crack and flake off? Do you have to do any prep before recoating (power wash, etc.)?

I'm contemplating using faux bamboo for the front of my outside bar. I don't want to create a future headache.

I wonder if tinted polyurethane or even trying to dye the pvc would be a better option.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-02 04:30 ]

I wanted to use the pvc as a wire conduit. I actually worried about the outdoor use of shellac. I tired it and have had it outside for over a year and there has been little change in its appearance. Most of what I have spends a large portion of the day in shade, but the fake bamboo looks much better than regular conduit. I really sanded it down to get the barcodes and stamping off of the pvc. I tried to sand in one direction too. This created groves in the pvc which I think may help in the finish taking hold.

So glad I stumbled upon this thread! Can't wait to give it a go as well.

On 2013-07-02 04:27, jimsflies wrote:
I don't think shellac is usually for outdoor use? I wonder if there is another product that would work better outdoors?

Does it crack and flake off? Do you have to do any prep before recoating (power wash, etc.)?

I'm contemplating using faux bamboo for the front of my outside bar. I don't want to create a future headache.

I wonder if tinted polyurethane or even trying to dye the pvc would be a better option.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-02 04:30 ]

I'm not an expert, but I was trying to find a coating that would give a nice finish and protect the paint from exposure. The shellac did protect the paint from peeling but it did fade in the direct sunlight.

T

These photos are from the Half Moon Inn.
This faux Bamboo, or foboo is made of metal then painted.
Thought it looked great!
Bamboo turns to $^%t here in Ohio fast.
As you can see this is a paint job, not shellac.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP™:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

I received a message this morning from Jeanne asking to see the original images I posted in this article. Unfortunately I don't have them anymore. However I just went outside and took this picture of my old project to show how good this fake metal bamboo looks after all these years. The metal bamboo pole there is part of a shade structure I made some years back and now it has a big trumpet vine growing all over it. You can see the trumpet vine's twisted trunk there. The fake bamboo was made using a chain link fence metal pole from Home Depot. I cleaned the bare metal with alcohol and gave it a good sanding before applying the bondo treatment and Rustoleum paint. You can see it still looks great, and there it is next to real bamboo poles and you really can't tell which is which, lol. By the way all the other pictures people posted of their projects on this thread are wonderful. And yes PVC pipe also makes a great looking bamboo, you can even have water running through it! Use a torch on a scored line on PVC to make the node bulges, then paint with Rustoleum. Good luck with your project Jeanne, please post some pictures!

So, the hummingbirds needed a feeder. The feeder needed a support. And the smart people on TC had a solution! Thanks to all of you for the detailed instructions on making fake bamboo - good results on the first try. Oh, and the hummers like it too!

That looks pretty sweet, Space Monkey! I, too, am thinking of going the fake bamboo route for a future project. Nice to see the concept is flexible enough for multiple uses!

Thanks Prikli! Just make sure to burn it outside - the fumes are nasty!

Pages: 1 2 63 replies