Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Help me find the best Tiki in Chicago!

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey Tiki fans! Here is my story! My name is Elio and I'm from the city of Chicago, IL , and coming up next January 21 2004 (a Wednesday) I'll be turning the big 21. So what I wanted to do is take all my friends to a Tiki bar (didn't see that one coming did you)
Anyways, here is my problem, I've never really been to a tiki bar, but I know I love the culture, art, decor, etc. So Tiki fans I need your help!

Can someone tell me the BEST tiki bars in Chicago?

And please, I don't have a lot of money right now, so I can't afford that "Tiki bar guide" book. So if there are any web pages or sources I can look threw for free that would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Try this page for info:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tikibars/tiki/tikimain.html

Of course, your best bet would be trader Vic's in Chicago

S

I would say go to "Hala Kahiki" in River Grove. It's cheaper than Vic's probably, and it's not topped by many bars around. I have not been to Vic's in Chicago, but I would have to guess Hala Kahiki tops it.

T

On 2003-12-28 12:44, RentAHero wrote:
Hey Tiki fans! Here is my story! My name is Elio and I'm from the city of Chicago, IL , and coming up next January 21 2004 (a Wednesday) I'll be turning the big 21. So what I wanted to do is take all my friends to a Tiki bar (didn't see that one coming did you)

Happy birthday, lil' Kahuna!

And please, I don't have a lot of money right now, so I can't afford that "Tiki bar guide" book. So if there are any web pages or sources I can look threw for free that would help me a lot.

You know, the book isn't THAT expensive ($17), maybe your pals will buy it for you for your birthday, if you ask real nice. I hear the author lives in Chicago too. :)

The short version:

Trader Vics: amazing drinks, great decor, cold staff, expensive, classic.

Hala Kahiki: Mind bogglingly cool but drinks are lacking.

Chef Shangri-La: great drinks, good food, reasonably priced, very friendly owners, decor is so-so.

Rock A Tiki: nice decor, ok drinks, crappy music and crowd.

Bamboo Room: great expensive food, decent 2nd floor bar, crummy drinks.

Tongs Tiki Hut and Malahini Terrace: Chinese food inthe burbs with a little Tiki and ok food and drinks.

House of Tiki: closed

Kona Kai: closed (usually)

Shanghai Lil's: closed

Honolulu Harry's Waikiki: closed

Don the Beachcomber: closed

Kon Tiki ports: closed

Shangri-La: closed

...etc

T

I'll agree that the Hala Kahiki is the best tiki bar in Chicago (and among the best anywhere). Take a cab and have a blast! They don't serve food so eat before you go.

Trader Vic's is great but it's more upscale and expensive. The drinks are better than the Hala Kahiki's and they serve good food. If you want to celebrate by having a nice dinner than this is the place, but they close fairly early so the party won't last long.

A complete list of Chicago tiki can be still found on the web site for Exotica 2003 (which happened last Summer):

http://www.konakai.com/exotica/explore.html

T

I think the Hala Kahiki is the best bet too. Vic's is too expensive for many, and if you're rather new to the drinking thing, cheaper is better than fancy, cause who knows the difference yet? haha!

(Unless yer from Canada and have been swilling cocktails and smoking Exports in bars since you were 15...)

you MUST go to hala kahiki, it is the single reason i am into tiki today, a friend took me there years ago, i fell in love with all that is tiki ever since, also, for good cheap drinks and some good food, check out chef shangrila, its nice and close to hala kahiki too....you could go out to eat at chef, then finish the night off at hala, that what we do damn near everytime we go out, and as previously mentioned, james(aka tikibars)website (tikibar review page) has more info than you'll ever need.....enjoy, and let us know where you when, and what you thought!!

When I was in Chicago I managed to Trader vic;s and Hala Kahiki... we stayed at the Motel 8 which was right down the street form the Hala Kahiki. I was more impressed by the Hala Kahiki than anything else. We also went ot Chef Shangri La but it was closed...

none of these are writeen up on tikifish.com cause I lost the disk with my write ups.. wahh!

S

Oh, AND, Hala Kahiki has a gift shop! Perfect for the B-day! It's an over-priced place, but if they are buying...

Go to Hala Kahiki. Vic's will seem dry compared to a funner crowd there.

Congrats on the big 21! I wish I could remember the blowout I had on that day. I just remember that when I woke up the next day I had a tequila bottle stuck on my toe and skinny girl from Venezuela I don't remember meeting telling me that she loved me. So hopefully you'll remember more than I did...I agree with the others...Hala Kahiki is the one to do....most of the drinks suck, but you'll have a good time if you stick with the ones marked STRONG... Let us know how it goes, eh?

Pages: 1 9 replies