Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sinbad movie using some sort of Miles&SHAG art?

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

I was watching this new Sinbad movie with my daughter. When he opens a map of Fiji a very Miles-like hula girl is on the map as well as some very shag-like Moai and Blowfish. I say conspiracy! We are through the tiki glass people.

Wow!!! I wonder what the story on that on is, I'M no big fan of the intellectual thievery of Disney, and I hope this isn't another case of a corporation with pockets so deep that they don't care about copyright.

Nice looking map though! Arrrgh Disney!

TG

Sinbad? Fiji? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-01-03 15:06 ]

HL

I think you mean...AARG Dreamworks.

T

Wow, that map seems like a pretty blatant rip-off. Seems that appropriating visual elements for movies is not uncommon. It would be hard for a studio to argue that it just happened to look like someone's established style.

Reminds me of that scene in "12 Monkeys" where Bruce Willis is sitting in a chair suspended from a wall viewing a tv monitor in a floating ball. I recognized the set from a Lebbeus Woods drawing and remember watching the credits looking for his name. Nothing. A couple months down the road a lawsuit brought by Woods resolved the issue.

I expected more from a Terry Gilliam film than blatantly ripping off other artists. The AD said he got the design from an underling and wasn't aware that he "borrowed" it. Way to cover your ass.

Pages: 1 3 replies