Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

most underated tiki bar/restaurants....discuss

Pages: 1 16 replies

in your opinion what is the most underated tiki place you've been to??.....mine would be the royal hawaiian in laguna beach california, and chef shangrila in riverside illinois....both have good decor, and great strong affordable drinks, served by a pleasant staff......so what all of yours????

T

"The Chef" (Shangri-La) is definitely under-rated.

Every time I go there, I wonder why I don't go back more often.

True, it's a little run-down, and the Tiki is competing with some really cheap Asian artifacts from the 80's, but the drinks are better than anywhere else in Chicago (save Trader Vics at twice the price), and they just did some construction to double the size of the bar area (without signifigant updating). Paul Fong rules!

T
thejab posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2004 1:50 PM

Trader Dick's. For a place that was remodeled pretty recently it still has good decor with plenty of tikis, some tasty drinks at reasonable prices still served in tiki mugs that you get to keep, pretty good food, and very nice staff. And I'm going there this Saturday!

My second choice would be the Tonga Room because they have gotten bad reviews in the past, mainly because of their service. The decor and atmosphere are amazing which makes it a must visit when in San Francisco, but I've been disappointed by many of their drinks recently, and the rude service still happens occasionally though less frequently.

H

I agree re: Royal Hawaiian, I think it doesn't get mentioned much probably just because it's on the outer edge of the area, and there are so many other tiki options here. The decor is almost great -- my one beef is those damned bright white chairs! A lot of these tiki places say they have really good ribs, and Royal Hawaiian is the only one I've ever thought really lived up to the claim.

I also don't think Bahooka gets mentioned enough. It's not entirely in the style of a traditional tiki joint -- it's actually kinda shipyardy/junky -- but I really like it quite a bit. It's right up there with the Mai Kai as far as awaking a child-like sense of awe in me.

The Kon-Tiki in Tuscon has got great potential... it's dusty and needs improvements in a few key spots, but the original decor is in very good shape.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-01-05 14:12 ]

C

I always enjoyed the Bali-Hai up in Lynnfield Mass. I lived up there for about 12 years, just minutes from both the Kowloon and the Bali-Hai, and while the Kowloon is great, I always appreciated the more laid-back less bustling atmosphere of the Bali-Hai. It's been a few years since I was there, so maybe it's changed since, but I can tell you that right about this time of year, it was great to go there just for a decent drink in tropical surroundings.

I also don't think Bahooka gets mentioned enough. It's not entirely in the style of a traditional tiki joint -- it's actually kinda shipyardy/junky -- but I really like it quite a bit. It's right up there with the Mai Kai as far as awaking a child-like sense of awe in me.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy Bahooka HumuHumu. I may be in L.A. soon to visit some family. When I told my cousin I'd like to see some of the tiki bars while I was down, he immediatly mentioned Trader Vics & Bahooka (so it looks like I'll get to go there). When I mentioned Tiki Ti, he said we could go, but he just prefers Bahooka.

H

On 2004-01-05 16:55, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I may be in L.A. soon to visit some family.

Be sure to let us know when you're going to be in town, and we can make sure you hit all the spots! You have to go to Tiki-Ti, it's not all that far from Trader Vic's.

great call on bahooka, they served me the largest plate of food i've ever seen, then i had a hand grenade with pin pulled, that nearly killed me.....great place, plus they have some great old fish, that they can get to beg like a dog..........i loved the decor there as well......

L
laney posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2004 9:34 PM

Well, since there are so many newbies and these two places are discussed, here's a flash back thread. Yipes, check that date!
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=381&forum=1&start=0

I stick with my opinion, Bahooka rules, get the chicken. Drinks at the Royal Hawaiian, fine but dinner, I'll pass.

[ Edited by: laney on 2004-01-05 21:36 ]

The Kon-Tiki in Tuscon has got great potential... it's dusty and needs improvements in a few key spots, but the original decor is in very good shape.

I was in Kon-Tiki a few times this past fall. I found the daytime very pleasant for eating lunch in the highly tikified decor, unspoiled by the night-time crowd that utilizes this hot spot. They were not only tolerant of me taking pics, the manager gave me a sample of a tiki mug (blue-green Libby mug) he said they planned to serve drinks in soon. He also said they were going to offer t-shirts. I don't know if either of these things has come to pass.

laney, guess i should have mentioned in my original post that i only drank at the royal hawaiian, so i cant speak for the food, only the drinks,decor and service all of which were great when i was there....really i just wanted this thread to be about places that are not mentioned enough, or that you feel dont get enough praise..........(now craving the ham from bahooka)

H
Hina posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 4:36 PM

On 2004-01-05 23:43, tikijackalope wrote:

I was in Kon-Tiki a few times this past fall. I found the daytime very pleasant for eating lunch in the highly tikified decor, unspoiled by the night-time crowd that utilizes this hot spot. They were not only tolerant of me taking pics, the manager gave me a sample of a tiki mug (blue-green Libby mug) he said they planned to serve drinks in soon. He also said they were going to offer t-shirts. I don't know if either of these things has come to pass.

Here here for the Kon Tiki. It is a little slice of paradise in Tucson. I, too, find it very nice and relaxing for lunch - being in Tucson once a week for business, it's my favorite place to go. It's hard to leave though because it's so cool and quiet and dark, especially in the summer. The bubbling of the Koi pond and the company of Tikis just make me want to stay.
Also, the food is outstanding. Fresh and hot and they have the best ribs I have ever tasted.
The drinks....well they ARE lacking in terms of drinkware and while they don't make the best Mai Tai in the world, it is extremely potent (and large). Bonus points for not being chintsy with the booze in my book.

I also agree with your assessment on the staff. They have always been friendly and encouraging of any picture taking and info regarding the place. If they would start using tiki mugs, it would be even better.

All in all, a great place. We don't have a Tonga Room or a Mai Kai in AZ but the Kon Tiki will do in a pinch.

~H

Here here for the Kon Tiki... (snip)...If they would start using tiki mugs, it would be even better.

They are not using any tiki mugs yet? When I was there in late September and early October, the mug I was given and was told they'd be using soon is the middle one in this pic.

MC

New York City tiki bars get no respect.

I love these places, and anyone I take for a drink loves Waikiki Wally's, Otto's Shrunken Head, Lei Bar, and Zombie Hut. So it really bums me out that the negative feedback I've heard this year all came from Tiki Central--a forum which supposedly loves tiki, not judges tiki!!! So I gotta say, if you didn't like any of these joints, please try checking them out again. And if you haven't visited yet--come on down!!

hopefully, your next visit will turn you on.

mc

R

I liked the upstairs bar room in the Jeckyl and Hyde (in the Village, NYC). The Jeckyl and Hyde Pub has a cool retro feel... imagine a jokey goth version of chucky cheese pizza, with a tiki room upstairs. The staff all wear either french maid outfits (females only) or fez hats and decked out like that adventure guy from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Awesome place... My first tiki mug came from there (or as the kids stay, they took my tiki "v-card").

Yowza! A Trader Dick's fan!

Yup, the decor is not as cool as it used to be. When I was really little it was its own building across the street - indoor creek, thatch roofed booths, Hammond organ in the lounge, waitresses in Tiki dresses, a big old clay oven (spare ribs to die for)....

It was the schitt, for sure. Met George Gobel there when I was three. Many years later, my dad told me after I got to shake hands I asked him if he was really lonesome.

A huy named earl Grant played there a few times - my parents had his records...

Trader Dick's, the fondest Tiki memories of my whole life have been there.

[ Edited by: Geeky Tiki on 2004-01-15 19:45 ]

I'm a huge Bahooka fan, and everyone I've taken there goes back again and again.

Gotta say, Tiki's Grill & Bar on Oahu is amazing, especially if you're a Shag fan. The food is pricey, but exceptional. The drinks are reasonable and darn tasty.

Pages: 1 16 replies