Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What does yr "Significant Other " collect?

Pages: 1 39 replies

Not all of us are in a relationship where our partner loves Tiki....
My fiance is very understanding and supportive of my tiki obsession, but she collects something entirely different: Panda Bears (that is, stuffed panda toys, ceramic panda figurines, etc. etc. etc.) Hey, at least we have bamboo in common!

For Christmas I just bought her a "panda toaster" that burns an image of a panda bear on the bread slices (Reminded me of a possessed toaster that I read about in the Weekly World News that burned pentagrams onto the bread...) and she loved it.

But it got me wondering...Does yr "significant other" collect anything that's not Tiki related?

Pandas! Cool!

It's neat to learn about things that people collect that I have never encountered as a collecting subject.

I wish my wife would collect things so she could relate to the sheer joy of the process.

My spouse digs photography, but only accumulates her own pics. That's as close as I can get to a collection she pursues.

I try to pick up her slack. :)

My beautiful wife has about 250 thermoses (I think it started because we both like the movie "The Jerk"!). Many pieces of cow kitsch as well.

Lady Velour collects the wooden kitties. Here's a pic of The Army.

PK

My mate collects buttons. No, not "red candy-like buttons" attached to important machinery or computers, just clothing buttons. Old boring buttons, but she likes 'em.

She collects comic books, 1st pressing Jazz vinyl, cookbooks & Wedgewood. We have one of those IKEA knick-knack glass tower cabinet thingys; shelves 1 & 3 are wedgewood- shelves 2 & 4 are Tiki. humph!

-Z

T

Jason is the anti-collector... he tries to accumulate as little as possible to make up for my habit. I can see him get nervous every time i bring something else home... kinda edgy like...

CATS! Real ones, we have 4 and I told her if she brings home another one....."I'm outta here." She says "Now I know how to get rid of you"...ahem..good comeback. We also have a wooden one similar to the image J.V. posted, which I do like.

A

Shelley collects small shattered pieces of my soul. I believe she stores them on the lowest level of Hell :lol:
Mahalo,
Al

B

On 2004-01-06 06:44, tikifish wrote:
Jason is the anti-collector... he tries to accumulate as little as possible to make up for my habit.

The same with my my Wife! I think theres some Minimalism in her blood. We moved into a huge house, and she immediatly staked claim on 1 of the spare bedrooms for her pictures and "No Clutter!" But I am the ultimate Pack Rat so it evens out.

L
laney posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 9:53 AM

On 2004-01-06 09:14, badmojo wrote:

On 2004-01-06 06:44, tikifish wrote:
Jason is the anti-collector... he tries to accumulate as little as possible to make up for my habit.

The same with my my Wife! I think theres some Minimalism in her blood. We moved into a huge house, and she immediatly staked claim on 1 of the spare bedrooms for her pictures and "No Clutter!" But I am the ultimate Pack Rat so it evens out.

I don't have a "significant other" but these posts made me think of my brother-in-law. He says, "The only thing worth collecting is money" of course, he's a CFO (money guy)

T

First, all I thought Mrs Mug collected was dust, 'cause I never saw her and a can of Endust in the same room together.

Then, I opened her closet and low and behold appearantly she has been collecting shoes since the begining of time

T

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2009-05-07 12:14 ]

TB

My wife collects "Nightmare Before Christmas" stuff. She collects the beenie dolls, snow globes, cups, etc... from the movie.

E

Mid-century glass and ceramics. Mostly glass, mostly blue. Nice stuff, it harmonizes well with the Tiki.

em.

Mrs. Lake has an extensive international collection of spoons... there are racks in two rooms of the house... they are kind of neat, you can go around the world just looking at a few racks... oh, and her Ty Beenie bear collection, which at one time I thought would be worth money but not much anymore 'cause there are so many of them out there... maybe some day in the future...

She was also born on the 4th of July so she has a collection of red, white and blue patriotic and 4th stuff... that takes up half a room also...

I'm slowly trying to take over the rest of the house with tiki...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-01-06 11:30 ]

I married a woman, and what do they collect?
EVERYTHING! Serves me right...

My husband collects split-window vw parts. Since they cost alot more than tiki mugs, he is very supportive of my little habit.

My husband collects split-window vw parts. Since they cost alot more than tiki mugs, he is very supportive of my little habit.

T

On 2004-01-06 02:26, johnnievelour wrote:
Lady Velour collects the wooden kitties. Here's a pic of The Army.

By the fireplace?

Is that smart?

Or did you win the coin toss, enabling you to keep the Ttikis AWAY from the fireplace?

:)

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:12 ]

B

My wife collects milk glass. Sometimes, on the hunt for this stuff, she comes back with mugs or records for me...pretty cool :wink:

My wahine collects girlfriends which is okay with me. One of them said my tiki obsession was perverted. I think she was joking, but I'm not sure. I'll have to serve her more rum drinks drinks and tickle her to find out.

Then, I opened her closet and low and behold appearantly she has been collecting shoes since the begining of time

I hear ya'! Mrs. Royale is VERY fond of shoes... and ladybugs.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Ms. Gardener collects Victorian misers purses, Victorian corsets and corset covers, 1970's "magazine" purses ( the plastic clamshell purses with magazine covers glued to them, shes still trying to find the Playgirl one!), Nightmare Before Christmas stuff, Hello Kitty stuff, and '70's clothing. There is more, but my mind will only comprehend so much...
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

My better half collects and restores Hotwheels, and also collects Johnny Lightening and the old metal Tonkas. He also helps me collect Tiki/Polnesian stuff doesn't mind that they are everywhere in the house. He is a real keeper!!!!!

On 2004-01-05 22:58, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Not all of us are in a relationship where our partner loves Tiki....
My fiance is very understanding and supportive of my tiki obsession, but she collects something entirely different: Panda Bears (that is, stuffed panda toys, ceramic panda figurines, etc. etc. etc.) Hey, at least we have bamboo in common!

For Christmas I just bought her a "panda toaster" that burns an image of a panda bear on the bread slices (Reminded me of a possessed toaster that I read about in the Weekly World News that burned pentagrams onto the bread...) and she loved it.

But it got me wondering...Does yr "significant other" collect anything that's not Tiki related?

Pandas are cool! I collect them too...since I was little...

My boyfriend isn't really into collecting lots of stuff except for his Jimmy Buffett record collection.

My love collects -

-Vintage Hawaiiana
-Sea shells
-Surf memorabilia
-Third Reich swizzle sticks
-18th century bondage gear (my personal favorite being a Zebra skin grope harness and a tiny push-up bra made from the eye lids of an elephant).

RD

The Lady Demon collects Antique Victorian Hairwork....

That is to say, products of the extinct drawing room pastime of weaving the hair of loved ones into elaborate wreaths, bracelets, necklaces, watch fobs, etc...

It's a long forgotten hobby largely associated with mourning due in part to Queen Victoria's lifelong mourning of her beloved Albert.

No fooling. Though it's creepy in our eyes, back before photography was commonly available, hairwork provided a romantic means to keep loved ones close.

So Katie has been obsessively collecting these things for years now. She's amassed a mini-museum's worth. Not only that, but she has been teaching herself the techniques through antiquated texts and trial and error. She's even developed her own style and started a small business on the side selling jewelry with hair that her customers send in. You can check it out here:

http://www.hairlooms.net

She's crazy and I love her very much.

-Joe

G

Mrs GatorRob collects Disney Classics Collection pieces. Or did anyway until she ran out of space to display them. When I spent $40 on a tiki mug, she gave me that LOOK (you know the look I'm talking about). I then calmly said "My mug costs about 1/3 of some of those Disney pieces you have." The look melted into a smile. God I love my wife.

My wife collects Hawaiiana kitsch, Pineapples & Egyptiana.

M

On 2006-01-31 19:09, Rum Demon wrote:
The Lady Demon collects Antique Victorian Hairwork....

That is to say, products of the extinct drawing room pastime of weaving the hair of loved ones into elaborate wreaths, bracelets, necklaces, watch fobs, etc...

It's a long forgotten hobby largely associated with mourning due in part to Queen Victoria's lifelong mourning of her beloved Albert.

I think I have seen Trader Pup wearing one of those! :) (INSERT PICTURE HERE! )

WHAT significant other?!? :lol:

H

Cynfulcynner, don't feel too bad it could be worst. Mine is into dead people.

J

"What does yr "Significant Other " collect?" Absolutely nothing. I think that's one of the things that drew me to her in the first place. She's gotten good at tolerating clutter; whether it be tiki mugs moving beyond the bar in the basement and infiltrating every cabinet in the house, to nearly every single shelf in the living room overflowing with my reggae records, and the wall of honor behind the TV cabinet covered ceiling to floor with framed Empire State Building ephemera - I think that's why we're together. It's kinda scary to think what our house would look like if she was a collector too but being that she's not, it leaves me more space for my junk. She's never said it but down deep I know she wants a stark white, modern house with lots of empty space and minimalist furniture but that's not gonna happen as long as she's married to me! :)

In addition to his aloha shirt collection (we stopped counting after he reached 300), Krustiki also likes totem poles. Here's about 50 of them:

how perfect is this .? she collects sea shells.big, exotic, sea shells.pefect complement to TIKI. my favorite ones are the big gigga's .

AND , vintage rattan,but we do that together.

M

broken promises...

My wahine collects... dragons, unicorns, stuffed toys, mushrooms and owls. Yes owls, from the 70's. Well she has cut back on the owls and mushroom items. I did happen to score a HUGE velvet painting of a Unicorn for her at a thrift store a few years back.

Pages: 1 39 replies