Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Talkback: Tiki Central Grand Membership

Pages: 1 2 78 replies

This is a talkback thread for the Grand Membership announcement.

If you don't want to post here please feel free to let me know what you think by sending me a private message. I promise I will keep your comments private.

Original Announcement:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7161&forum=1&0

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-01-14 17:44 ]

DZ

I'm glad to be among the first to do my part to help out!

Hanford,

Can I just pay you the $24/year amount without taking the pledge. I mean hey, I'm Bong!

(I've said for a long-time now we need to pay some sort of dues as it isn't cheap to run this show)

I'm GRAND! whee!

H

You don't have to ask me twice! The oath quickly allayed my initial star-bellied sneeches concerns. I get the star, without the snobbery! Huzzah!

This ride ain't free, even though it's been free for me. I'm happy to help pay for gas!

Thanks to everyone who has signed up so far!

Bong,

This isn't just about helping out Tiki Central financially, it's about making it a better place. If you want to paypal me 24 bucks I'll happily take it. But if you want to be a Grand Member, you have to abide by the Code of Conduct.

~Hanford

I'm just glad to be able to kick in something to help out ... at less than the cost of a Mystery Drink! Such a deal!

Cheers Hanford!

K

I am GRAND! It's the happiest day of my life!!!

Scotty

Ain't life grand?

T

Anything to help out TC. Thanks Hanford for making everything so "grand"! :wink:

Without hesitation I'm going to contribute, but I think we lose something by automatically, for a few bucks, designating someone/anyone "Grand Member".

With our current system of designations, it takes a bit of loyalty to work your way up the luau food chain from Tiki Centralite to Tiki Socialite to Honorable Tiki Contributor, to the godhead of SPECIAL AGENT (but not if you're a mere mortal).

But now, even Sqwaker or mAdTiKi gets instant cult status by paypal'ing a small amount.

It's kinda like someone buying every single sacred tiki item there could be with a single transaction (including tattoos and musical ability!).

I remember once some professor in school was making some point or other, and he said "if everyone is rich (or poor) in a society, then no one is rich (or poor) in a society". If everyone is a 'Grand Member' than no one is a 'Grand Member'

(allright, start the Bong bashing)

T

On 2004-01-14 18:05, Tiki_Bong wrote:
With our current system of designations, it takes a bit of loyalty to work your way up the luau food chain from Tiki Centralite to Tiki Socialite to Honorable Tiki Contributor, to the godhead of SPECIAL AGENT (but not if you're a mere mortal).

I agree with that. I just passed 1000 posts and am proud to have achieved my title of Honorable Tiki Contributor. I would like to give but can we keep our "earned" member status as well?

P

I do agree with Bong on this. Even being one of the early members, it did take some time to work up to my Tiki Socialite status. Perhaps keeping the old designations and adding the star to those who are grand members is a good compromise?

Of course, I value Tiki Central greatly and am more than happy to contribute. I will do do forthwith.

KK

Never mind the bollocks...here's the Paypal!

Re: Buying yourself cult status

All Grand Membership is, is a badge that says you gave up some money for this forum. Some people will cheer those on, others will be thinking "that's stupid -- paying for a free forum". It could be a badge of honor, or a badge of gullibility, depending on who's looking at it.

I do feel that people should be reconized for paying. Sure, you can do it with a click of a button, and you can do it without having any posts of substance. But it is not a "cheap" act, nor is it a disenguine one. It too requires commitment, of a different sort.

Now, when you look at "Honorable Tiki Contributor", it's just a badge for getting 1000 posts. Some people may say "Man that Bong guy sure has dedication", and others may say "Bong has 1800 stupid posts -- what a waste of time". But it doesn't matter, becuase it's just a badge for 1000 posts.

If you feel it's lame to be able to get "Grand Member" quickly by paying, then that's in your eyes, becuase it's not taking away from your post count. There will be others who think "man, that's cool to see those people sacrificed money to help out the forum even though they barely have any posts!"

Re: Grand Honorable Tiki Contributor

You will always have your post count. It will be there just below your name, for all to see, whether you're a Grand Member or not.

I can understand wanting the "Grand Member" status but also keeping your "Honorable Tiki Contributor" status, becuase they are not on the same scale (one is a time commitment, the other is a financial commitment). But it is is tricky to do in software.

So for now all I can say is to hold your head up high becuase your post count will always be displayed below your name, and people will take note of that.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-01-14 18:57 ]

H

Bong, the post numbers are still visible, but frankly I don't think they always mean all that much... all one has to do to rachet up that number is be quite chatty in Beyond Tiki. It would be nice if that number only counted the tiki-related forums, but I imagine that could be a bit of a hacking headache for Hanford.

Anyway, the Grand Member honor takes more than $24/yr, it takes community-friendly behavior. I like that Hanford is starting by trusting in folks. If we were to get another Mad-tiki, he'd have to behave himself if he wanted to stay a Grand Member.

On 2004-01-14 18:24, PiPhiRho wrote: Perhaps keeping the old designations and adding the star to those who are grand members is a good compromise?

This is tough to do. The Forums software only supports one designation, so I'd have to either (A) figure out a way to program that in or (B) change everyone's status manually when they cross thresholds.

Both of those options are very, very tough to do.

P

Ahhh...

Don't sweat it then. Really, it's not all that important.

I just made a quick forum change to put people's posts next to their member name. What do you think?

~Hanford

Hanford,
Happy to put my money where my Moai is. Nice work as usual.

As soon as my wife the computer whiz sends the paypal I'm in.

Well of course I want to contribute, but PAYPAL sucks. Okay, I didn't write my password down so I forgot it, then they expect me to remember all my pet's names, and what color they are. For cryin' out loud, now they want me to fax an ID to them and some other stuff. Forget it. I hate Paypal. Can't I just send you a freakin' check or buy you 5 drinks, JEEEZ!

..........Okay, 6 drinks then.

Now back to my hamburger!

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2004-01-14 19:57 ]

D

Whatever you need Hanford, I'm cool with it. 24 dollars for all the Tiki Central I use is a bargain.

Mahalo Hanford,
24 bones is small price to contribute for all the beauty that is Tiki Central. Anybody else take the oath wearing a fez while drinking a Mai-tai in there leopard skin underwear? :lol:

Chongolio the Grand

I'm in. It's my way of giving back to the place where the Tiki Spirit personified itself in the number of people who were willing to put up 20 bucks for the idea of getting a Tiki back at Tiki Gardens. Even if it was a long shot, at least some good folks stepped up and backed the idea.

The Paypal button has been clicked.

So I'll gladly take the pledge and back Tiki Central. I can't see anything in the pledge that anyone could balk at.

TG

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-01-14 20:41 ]

I totaly agree! 24 bucks is chump change (over a year'sspan) I pay that much for my lodge dues each year. Unfortunately I'm strapped for cash until the Unkle Sam coughs up some of my hard earned.
Untill then, when I can contribute to a site that sees more hits in an hour than mine does in a month, I will take the pledge and honor it.

So for the time being I will wear my Socialite status and wear it proud knowing that one day soon i'll be known for my contribution.

You want me to become a "Grand Member?"
Well, several women have told me my "member" is "grand", so wouldn't this be redundant? Plus, it didn't cost me $24, just some cheap
rum and a couple half-truths. Please clear up this confusion before I cough up the sheckles

Best $24 bucks I've spent in a long time. I hope that these contributions will help Tiki Central and make Hanford feel like this is all worth his time.

The recognition is nice but everyones reputation is well known to those of us who regularly participate. A post count or "grand member" status does not hide who each of us is. Some of us deliver content (not claiming that I am one of those), some are funny, some are the devils advocate etc etc etc.

Thanks Everyone and Hanford.

How about changing the designation to "Supporting Member"?

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-01-14 20:31 ]

Alright Hanformeister,
The cat is finally out of the bag.
Don't think you have one up on us.
This thread, https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7161&forum=1&0#fresh
was authored on date 2020-01-01 18:42.
It all makes sense now.
You have a time machine.
And all this time I thought you were the Master of Perceptiveness.
Well, at least when I become a Tiki Central Grand Member, you can at least secretly email me the insight of what Tiki will be like in the future, so that even I may become a Moon Doggie Kahuna someday.
Well, the rumor that I heard was, that Tiki in the future, even gets cooler.
Unga

We are glad to contribute to a site that has given us so much information and amazing connections with very cool people. Mrs. Lava thinks of Hanford's hard work every weekday as she drives under the Hanford-Lemoore sign to her job in Hanford the city.

I'm happy to help out. I know I'm new to the site, but I am really enjoying the information and the members. Plus ... my curiousity would never allow me to go without seeing the "Forum of Mystery".

We are glad to help. Many an hour has been spent perusing the forums for all things tiki.

Thanks Hanford

Chongolio wrote:
...Anybody else take the oath wearing a fez while drinking a Mai-tai in there leopard skin underwear?...

Damn! I left my webcam on again!
Did you catch my Dance of Desire too?
(that will be $24 please.)

:lol:

On 2004-01-14 21:07, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Did you catch my Dance of Desire too?
(that will be $24 please.)
[unquote]
I downloaded it FREE from some college kid!!!

On 2004-01-14 20:08, Chongolio wrote:
Anybody else take the oath wearing a fez while drinking a Mai-tai in there leopard skin underwear?

Damn. Just bought myself a new pair too ... wish I'd thought of that!

E

I too want to help TC, but I too hate PayPal. Unless I too can remember my freakin' password.

Damn, this is embarrassing. Maybe I'll just open another account with them...or if a money order will suffice, I'm in Hanford.

aloha,
em.

$24...thats a lot less than they charge over at Tikitarts.com and Googiegirlsgonewild.com.

G

Hanford has helped me sell may carvings, tiki mugs, etc on his website by allowing me to add the ebay link for free....$24, my pleasure! Mahaloz braddah.

S
SES posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2004 11:58 PM

Great Idea!
Love being able to support the forum and give back a bit for all the resources you provide.
Just signed up.
:D

okay, at the request of users who don't like Pay Pal, I've added normal credit-card support through my game company Monolux.

Just go to the Code of Conduct page and click the third option at the bottom (of course, after reading the Code of Conduct).

~Hanford

The strong £ (UK pound) has made this even more of a bargain. Saying that, you can't put a price on the amount of fun had and friends made on Tiki Central. Contributing a few $$ to help keep it going has been an idea that's been floating around since we jumped from Yahoo, but it's great to see such an imaginative way of contributing. Well done folks!

Unfortunately because of the time diference between the UK and California, I'll probably have to wait 24 hours before I can visit the Grand Ceremonial Forum of Mystery....

Trader Woody

Wow! $24 what a bargin. Hanford, the Paypal payment is whizzing it's way down the interstella tiki lines as we speak.

Mahalo

[i]On 2004-01-15 02:07, Trader Woody wrote:
Unfortunately because of the time diference between the UK and California, I'll probably have to wait 24 hours before I can visit the Grand Ceremonial Forum of Mystery....

The expected 24 hours turned out to be a matter of minutes! See you in the GCFM.

Trader Woody

The most worthwhile investment I've made in a l-o-n-g time. -Always glad to support something I believe in!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:42 ]

Talk about dedication, I don't mind the $24 so much as the fact that my wife is gonna KILL me when/if she sees the credit card statement. That said, my info is currently zooming thru cyberspace to the UK & back again... I chose the non-Paypal option, I assume it will take longer to kick in this way (?)

-Z

B

Even tho I'm new I think $24 is a bargain, as much as TC has given me in a few short days.
Soon as I can afford it, I'm in.
Thanx for being here

Pages: 1 2 78 replies