Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Morrissey and Tiki Fans Unite and Take Over

Pages: 1 31 replies

F

I had heard rumours that Morrissey had once shot a video on Phoenix's famed street of ill-repute, Van Buren, but for years had never unearthed it. I was beginning to think the story was BS.

Until today, when I found a framestill that confirmed the existence of said shoot, and guess what? There's a little somethin EXTRA in there..

http://www.ambitious-outsiders.com/gallery1/zom15.jpg

T

Wow, I never realized how much Morrisey looks like Vanilla Ice :wink:

M

If there is to be no insulting of Republicans and Christians on this group then there will MOST DEFINITELY NOT be any insults levelled against Morrissey.

Kneel before Moz!

-martin

Okay, who is Morrissey?

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2002-08-07 17:29 ]

M

Patrick-

I'm going to pretend you didn't just post that. I know Bakersfield is more of a Dwight Yoakam kind of town, but jeez.

Come up and meet me September 10th in Fresno and you'll find out who Morrissey is. (at which point you'll drive through the highway 99 & 198 junction)

-martin

Tiki in a coma I know its really serious....

Okay, okay. I've heard of Morrissey, just never heard any of the music. I'm not a big fan of most music of the last decade. I don't do Country, though Buck Owens sure serves a mean chicken-fried steak at the Crystal Palace.
Never got into grunge, modern "rock" leaves me covering my ears most of the time, rap makes me puke; Britney Spears, et. al., likewise. God, I feel old...I miss the 80s :wink:
I really dig Exotica and Lounge, though.

So tell me about Morrissey!

Patrick McNeal

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2002-08-07 20:39 ]

"And in this charming BAR, this chaaarming mannn... "

F

ah the peanut galley-
now to address the true Moz fans- is that not the coolest pic?!?!

How Soon Is Tiki?

A very cool pic. Gonna put on The Smiths while I surf the net.

On 2002-08-07 20:38, Biotron2000 wrote:
God, I feel old...I miss the 80s :wink:

Biotron, if you miss the 80's don't you remember a band named The Smiths? :)

Long live New Wave and men wearing eyeliner!

Frenchy Polynesia wrote:

If a double-decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die....

(Did you cringe too when you heard "How Soon Is Now" in a car commercial?) :roll:

On 2002-08-07 22:33, vintagegirl wrote:
Biotron, if you miss the 80's don't you remember a band named The Smiths? :)

Long live New Wave and men wearing eyeliner!

I've heard of them never really heard much of them, they rarely played on the radio here. Sad to say, I listened to more "mainstream" stuff then.
Of course, I do have quite a few "Weird Al" Yankovic albums. Now there's an entertainer!

TC

On 2002-08-07 17:28, Biotron2000 wrote:
Okay, who is Morrissey?

Doesn't he own some cafeterias?

T

What is a cafeteria?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Aug 8, 2002 6:51 AM

Morrisey is the guy who came on Johnny Carson one night with Bill Cosby and the crowd was jammed with screaming fans, of Morrisey, and Bill and Johnny were just dumbfounded.

TC

Morrisey who? Oh, you mean Mr. & Mrs. Smith's boy? Didn't he start a rock & roll band w/ his brothers?

Nice kid, but I think he needs a girlfriend.

T

I think his girlfriend is still in that coma....

TC

On 2002-08-08 08:10, Traderpup wrote:
I think his girlfriend is still in that coma....

oh right, nevermind. i just wish he'd turn that light off (you know, the one that never goes out). imagine how high his electricity bill must be!

T

No matter how bad a day you are having, somewhere Morrissey is having a worse one....

"Call me morbid, call me pale," but haven't we veered WAY off topic?

Who out there can bring the tiki back into this thread?

Frankly,
Mr. Tiki (Chris)

T

On 2002-08-07 23:38, cynfulcynner wrote

(Did you cringe too when you heard "How Soon Is Now" in a car commercial?)

Actually I REALLY cringed when I heard Clash songs in two different commercials (beer and cars - two great things that go great together!) So much for punk/DIY.
Oh, and Led Zep in a Cadillac commercial - yeesh!

And in no way did I mean to disparage the great Morrisey. I loved the winking, dark humor of the Smiths. I saw Morrisey perform after they broke up and have to say it was one of the most entertaining shows ever. His swinging rock-a-billy set in the middle of the show was amazing. I don't think a lot of people "got" his sort of cheeky humor.

You just haven't earned it yet, baby.

F

I am in a TOTAL lather from that photo! Moz and Tiki together! It's just so right.

And yes, hearing "How Soon is Now" being sampled and looped around every turn is painful. (the pain was enough to make a shy bald Buddhist reflect and plan a mass murder).

TC

On 2002-08-07 19:46, TikiGardener wrote:

just wanted to let you know that i can't get this damn song ("girlfriend in a coma") out of my freakin' head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& to top it off it's a rainy night here in london!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

On 2002-08-08 17:29, Tiki Chris wrote:

On 2002-08-07 19:46, TikiGardener wrote:

just wanted to let you know that i can't get this damn song ("girlfriend in a coma") out of my freakin' head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& to top it off it's a rainy night here in london!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Howsabout

"Tiki in the streets of London" ?
Just sing along to "Panic in the streets of London..."

"And if a 10 ton Moai topples onto us...."

Didn't Mozzer end up fronting a gay Mexican Rockabilly band?

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-08-09 02:48 ]

F

"the gap between the things I need, and the things I receive, is an ancient ocean wide."

Morrissey is actually on a small tour right now, with no record to support, no record label, either. I love Morrissey. Want to read something totally wacky, yet somehow totally appropriate? Check this out:

http://vu.morrissey-solo.com/moz/int/bb8-2002.htm

[ Edited by: fatuhiva on 2002-08-09 08:22 ]

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour,
But heaven knows I am miserable now.
I was looking for a job and found a job,
And heaven knows I am miserable now."

Ohhh, how true!

As for this thread I am "truly, truly dissappointed..godnight and thank you"

[ Edited by: hula hula on 2002-08-10 00:09 ]

OK! I found the video!

Its for the song "My Love Life" and its on the Oye Esteban! DVD, which I have already ordered. When i get it, I'll convert the video to mpeg and post it

I was just noticing that...
"Some tikis are bigger than others!"

S

"I've seen this happen in other people's lives and now it's happening in mine..."

Just could not resist!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Pages: 1 31 replies