Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TikiSHOUT! Test

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hi all,

I got inspired and wrote a little in-page chat client for Tiki Central. The idea is it's for super-casual chat with any other members who are online (or about that).

Right now it's tacked onto the bottom of the main page, here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/#shout

And it has gone through a whole 1 HOUR of testing. So I have no idea as to whether or not I'll keep it, whether or not it will bog down or crash the system, etc.

Have fun. Don't abuse it. Please post your comments here.

~Hanford

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 6:39 AM

Interesting! Could be fun. Kind of choppy though. Takes a little getting used to.
I think I like it.

Pretty nifty Hanford. though somehow my name kept getting chopped up with every post.

-Z

very cool. i think i'll quit my job now and spend all my time here :) not. then i'd have to pay for the internet. quite a quandry...

extremely cool, hanford, you should be proud of yourself.

j$

T

Pretty cool Hanford. Worked good for me this a.m. Will be PayPal'n shortly!

D

Hanford....this is great!

Hanford,
A small group of us just discovered you can type any name to appear in the chat. This could be a problem.

T

Hey Hanford! Pretty cool idea however is there a way to make it "voluntary" at times to use? The only reason I ask is my computer "clicks" each time a new post is made and that can be rather annoying. Also, I notice that you can basically type in anyone's name and say you are them at the moment when chatting. If we keep the chat, is there a way to lock in our TC name when we log in?

Thanks for listening!

R
Rain posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 9:21 AM

cool little application. can i be a REAL nerd and suggest an online tiki chat party sometime? we can mix our own drinks and sit in front of our computers. we used to do this with an ebay artists group.

(probably would have to use irc or some other chat prog)

[ Edited by: Rain on 2004-01-16 09:22 ]

Hanford,

That thing is deadly. If I had I job I would have lost it!

Nice Hanford!
Thanks for contributing to my lack of productivity.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

SES: Yeah, it's choppy. It's a super-cheap design; it's just refreshing the page. I'll have to see what to do about that.

F'Z: I'll check to see what's going on. Some characters like ' might need special casing.

RevBambooBen: Well, the reason I allow the switching of names is because some members (like you) like to make multiple accounts in order to post under different names. I didn't want people doing that just for this thing becuase that would send member names skyrocketing, so I figured this was just easier. But this is only version 1, We'll see what comes down the line. Until now, don't take anything that is posted there too seriously.

TikiChic: I'll see if I can do anything about the clicks.

Rain: We've tried to do an online chat before; I 'm not sure what happened as I could not make it. But it would be fun!

to all: thanks for the comments! We'll see where it goes!

~Hanford

On 2004-01-16 12:58, hanford_lemoore wrote:
RevBambooBen: Well, the reason I allow the switching of names is because some members (like you) like to make multiple accounts in order to post under different names.

Hanford's got the Rev scoped out.

I think I'm going to have to take it down while I make changes. So I'm not sure when that is going to happen. Or for how long.

I got this off of a website, it's how to turn the click noise off (on all pages, not just TikiShout!):

In Windows XP open the Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices (it's just Sounds & Multimedia in Windows 2000) then Sounds and Audio Devices, then on the Sounds tab, scroll down to the section for Windows Explorer. Click the event called "Start Navigation," and change the setting to "none" from the dropdown box. Click OK to apply the change, and from now on you can navigate clicklessly through cyberspace.

~Hanford

Hey Hanford!
Any thoughts on possibly adding a time stamp to the posts? That way we could know how long ago someone shouted...

The problem with timestamps is they make it hard to read, since they get added to every post. But I've been looking at doing conditional timestamps that only show up if the post was made greater-than 5 minutes ago or something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pages: 1 16 replies