Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Hotel Molokai, Kaunakakai, HI (hotel)

Pages: 1 2 replies

Name:Hotel Molokai
Type:hotel
Street:Kamehameha V Highway (P.O. Box 1020)
City:Kaunakakai
State:HI
Zip:96748
Phone:(808) 553-5347

Description:

Hotel Moloka'i offers 'old' Hawaii accommodations in a "South Seas atmosphere."

The buildings at Hotel Molokai were designed by an architect who specialized (haven’t found his name yet) in South Seas designs:

There aren’t a whole lot of actual tikis here, but there are (structural?) tiki posts throughout the grounds:

The Oceanfront Lounge serves yummy tropical cocktails and pupus & provides patrons w/ a front row view of Maui & Lanai & gorgeous sunsets. Friday night is THE night to go when seemingly everybody on the island comes for the open mike & scheduled musical performances.

Spontaneous hula seems de rigueur: the night we were there, our waitress became so moved by a song that she placed her tray (w/ its table’s worth of orders) down at an empty table, dashed to the stage & danced an impromptu but lovely hula.

If you’re ever on Molokai, I DEFINITELY recommend stopping by the Hotel Molokai, ideally on Friday around 4:00 p.m. However, we stayed elsewhere on Molokai, so I’m not sure about the place as an accommodation.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-01-22 15:29 ]

That sign looks photoshopped into place, ha... Is it weird, or is it just me?

Too bad the original photos from Tiki Chris in 2004 have disappeared, the links are now dead.

Pages: 1 2 replies