Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Weave your own fishing float net!

Pages: 1 26 replies

http://www.olypen.com/elgato/ballnets.htm

I've been trying to think of alternatives to the genuine thing...like cheap toy balls...or paper mache around a baloon...

This method seems kind of expensive, especially since you'd need 180' - 200' of rope to do a 14" ball!

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Just curious!

S
SES posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 12:39 PM

That's pretty thick looking rope. I don't think you would need it that heavy if you used it for lightweight items. Also, could skip doing as many knots which would use less string. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't when you look at the amount in a roll of twine.

hi susane, I agree that it seems like way too much, and how many people have seen 14" floats? That's pretty big! My fiance is in the navy and it looks like he's going to be able to hook me up with the rope I need...I'll post pics when I've done my first one! (might be a tiny 5" er for practise)

S
SES posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 1:17 PM

I used to make macrame belts and planthangers to sell way back in the early 70's so I've got a lot of books on knots if you want more patterns.

I tried making my own net last night. It was looking real good but I ran out of rope. It's amazing how much you need.
I tried it on a small 6 inch float. I plan on going out later and getting more rope and trying it again later. If it turns out I'll post a pic.

I've got an old knot book of my uncle's(former brigadier general and knot finatic) but haven't found that particular one yet.

Unga, nice book! The auctions around here have 20-40 floats going to local antique dealers(haven't had the chance to snag myself one yet), I'm so amazed at the variety.

Flounder, how much rope did you unsucessfully use with that little one? I guess you could figure it out...200' for, say, 15", 67' for 5"? I guess you'd need 12 equal lengths of...what...5'...ending up as 2.5' sticking out all the way around? Ok, so math isn't my thing... does this sound about right? Maybe more? It would get pretty expensive fooling around with long lengths of rope cut into so many pieces! I'd love to see what you've done so far!

I knew the rope would be to short. It was more of an experiment than anything.

I'll post a pic when I get around to trying it fo real.

That's pretty cool...I've been trying to figure out te secret to that for years! I have some colored glass ball shades that will easily pass for floats with the proper netting and can be easily lit inside (a 2 inch hole already there)...On the rope lenghth, I believe it-I had to go back to the hardware store three times to get enough rope to lash the moso beams on the KTPR ceiling. Ended up using 400+ feet of manila and jute!

This could be a very helpful experiment. I've been wondering what are the most commonly used "Not Real Glass Fishing Floats but Things that Look Like Them, or Give the Feel of Them, Kind Of…" items. The Colored Balls hanging from the ceiling at Trader Vics are not Fishing Floats but give off an awesome vibe all the same. And they put out a Frosted Glow! And they're HUGE! Constructing a net for those suckers would have to be a real job.
Also... I recall reading here something someone once posted in a forum concerning the Kon Tiki Paradise Room congratulating BK on the authenticity of his Balls (or Floats, as the case may be). Are there certain kinds of rope that should be avoided?

S
SES posted on Tue, Jan 27, 2004 2:38 AM

On 2004-01-26 18:24, Traitor Vic wrote:
congratulating BK on the authenticity of his Balls

Hahahah!!! Good one!
:D

I think those transparent plastic toy balls seem ideal for this. I'll have to dig up my old netmaking books now for instructions.

insted of rope you could just use old net, and knit the side together then bring the bottom together on a ring, it would have a obvious seam but you could disguise it.

my dad tried to teach me all these net knitting skills as a kid but only in a work context rather than a cocktails and home decor style.

P

I just ran across another source that might be of interest. batjak ltd.
It looks like they might have things for sale or take commissions.

They have a page with a nice pictorial depiction of the familiar netting.

But the one that caught my eye was the instructions for tying a rib-hitched ball net. That pattern was new to me. Has anyone else seen one like that before? Has anyone tried tying one up?

[ Edited by: Philot 2012-04-23 18:50 ]

[ Edited by: Philot 2012-04-23 18:51 ]

On 2012-04-20 20:03, Philot wrote:
I just ran across another source that might be of interest. batjak ltd.
It looks like they might have things for sale or take commissions.

They have a page with a nice pictorial depiction of the familiar netting.

But the one that caught my eye was the instructions for tying a rib-hitched ball net. That pattern was new to me. Has anyone else seen one like that before? Has anyone tried tying one up?

Let me give you a little help with those links: familiar netting rib-hitched ball net

Cool stuff. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced ball/float substitute that can be found in the year of our lord 2012?

P

Cool stuff. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced ball/float substitute that can be found in the year of our lord 2012?

Depends on what you want to do with it.
I used a glass fish-bowl and some craft store glass paint to make a reasonable facsimile of glass float lamp with a puffer fish inside. Being a fish bowl, a good portion of the top is sliced off, but if you hang it high, it's not too noticeable. Cheap and relatively easy.

G

Here's what I did a few years ago. It worked (and still works) great. I only made the one. I should have made more, but I'm a terrible procrastinator...

G

On 2012-04-23 19:00, Philot wrote:

Depends on what you want to do with it.
I used a glass fish-bowl and some craft store glass paint to make a reasonable facsimile of glass float lamp with a puffer fish inside. Being a fish bowl, a good portion of the top is sliced off, but if you hang it high, it's not too noticeable. Cheap and relatively easy.

Ok, where does one get a glass fishbowl in the classic round style, at a reasonable price?

G

On 2012-04-24 14:03, GatorRob wrote:
Here's what I did a few years ago. It worked (and still works) great. I only made the one. I should have made more, but I'm a terrible procrastinator...

Since it's Ikea, they don't sell it online. I'd have to go on a road trip to Chicago, if they have it in stock.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, May 1, 2012 1:11 PM

I used those lawn gazing balls. Wait for them to be 1/2 price at th ehobby store and pick th eone that is most fish float-esque.

P
Philot posted on Tue, May 1, 2012 1:25 PM

On 2012-05-01 11:17, Greg_D_R wrote:

Ok, where does one get a glass fishbowl in the classic round style, at a reasonable price?

I think I got my last one a Michael's craft store, probably around 8$ ?
I know I've seen plain round glass bubble bowls in Wlmrt.
Pier One may have such things on hand.
If they're not with the pet stuff, look in floral / craft section.

G

On 2012-05-01 13:11, Swanky wrote:
I used those lawn gazing balls. Wait for them to be 1/2 price at th ehobby store and pick th eone that is most fish float-esque.

I tried Hobby Lobby, and the only gazing balls they have are huge (15' dia. or so) and have finishes or textures that won't work. I wonder if Michael's has anything better?

G

On 2012-05-01 13:25, Philot wrote:

On 2012-05-01 11:17, Greg_D_R wrote:

I think I got my last one a Michael's craft store, probably around 8$ ?
I know I've seen plain round glass bubble bowls in Wlmrt.
Pier One may have such things on hand.
If they're not with the pet stuff, look in floral / craft section.

Thanks, I'll give Michael's a shot, for bowls and gazing balls, if they have them.

they also have round lamp glass at home depot and lowes and I'm sure at do it centers and other giant home stores.

You could also use plastic ones too

Maybe the home stores are closer than ikea?

M
Murph posted on Wed, May 2, 2012 12:51 PM

I've always found my gazing balls (that just doesn't sound right :D) at Big Lots.

H

I got all of mine big and small at Home Goods. They are between 10 to 12 dollars for the larger ones in different of colors.

T

If you set out looking for a glass globe you will find a basket or a hat.
Look for a hat, find a globe.
We just go EVERYWHERE looking for all of the above.
Bring it all home and wait till the right pieces fall into place.
It can take years for the right stuff to be found.
That's how they did it in Robinson Crusoe or Gillagans Island, ECT...
I find it's way more fun that way.
Good luck!!!

G

Lowe's is a block away, so I will check out their lighting section for sure. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Pages: 1 26 replies