Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikifish Heading To Bangkok and Environs

Pages: 1 22 replies

T

Leaving February 8th! We plan to hit the Bangkok Trader Vic's, but anyone else got any suggestions?
My cousin runs a travel mag in Bangkok (farangonline.com) and I will be staying with him, so I don't need the regular tourist info - just the tikified info - or odd things that the guides don't tell you about. We are also taking a side trip to Angkor Wat.

I wanna see pics TF!

http://www.marriottdining.com/info/info01_1.php

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-30 20:51 ]

I dunno, I've just always loved the word "Bangcok".

Phuket!!!

R

Well if you have never been to BKK, I would say your senses are going to be so baraged with incredible sights and sound that the faux exotica of Tiki will be last thing on your mind. But I did see a cool restaurant in Pattaya that was quite 60's Tiki, menu and all.

TC

are you going to singapore? if so, head to raffles where the singapore sling was invented. i think there's a tv's in singapore too.

T

Just Thailand and Cambodia. That's enough I think!

T

Cooool! My wife & I spent our honeymoon in Thailand & Cambodia. Check out this little page I did on Trader Vics:
http://www.christophermerritt.com/family/TraderVicsThailand/Trader_Vics.html
The Bangkok Marriot is nice too...
We also did the whole elephant ride in the jungle thing in Chang Mai.

And give yourself 2 to 3 days for Angkor Wat at least! We tried to do it in one day - we saw a lot, but almost killed ourselves!

Also - for islands - I'd avoid Phuket - Ko Samui is much better (although I never went to Phuket - so I might be wrong). But off Ko Samui, we went to another more distant island - Ko Tao for a day of scuba diving. Talk about paradise! Very remote, white sand, bamboo thatched huts, crystal blue water - all that was missing was the tikis!
I can post pics later if you want...

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-02 10:41 ]

i've heard bangkok has the creme de la creme of the chess world...

M

On 2004-01-30 19:22, tikifish wrote:
Leaving February 8th! We plan to hit the Bangkok Trader Vic's, but anyone else got any suggestions?
My cousin runs a travel mag in Bangkok (farangonline.com) and I will be staying with him, so I don't need the regular tourist info - just the tikified info - or odd things that the guides don't tell you about. We are also taking a side trip to Angkor Wat.

there is that place in a little alley where you rent rent little boys...oh, that's right Jane, you are a woman. Well, if you husband wants to rent little boys maybe my friend can remember the address.

ps-i am just JOKING!!!! I do not recommend anyone to rent little boys. It is a much better deal in the long run to BUY them! OOPs--am i a BAD boy!!! :)

M

On 2004-01-30 19:22, tikifish wrote:

how about eating some Thai food??

TC

tiki emi lived in bangkok for a short time. feel free to email or pm me specific questions & i'll run them by her.

C

...the bars are temples but the girls ain't free...

On 2004-02-02 20:17, Cultjam wrote:
...the bars are temples but the girls ain't free...

lisa lisa gets the murray head prize!

j$

M

i believe that I once used "Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite" in a lyrics quiz. Stumps 'em every time.

Get Thai'd!

T

I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine!

Yep, that song has been in heavy rotation in my brain all week... damn earworms.

On 2004-02-03 14:19, tikifish wrote:
I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine!

Yep, that song has been in heavy rotation in my brain all week... damn earworms.

you realize of course that you are fated to hear that song in your head the whole time you are there...

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Feb 3, 2004 4:05 PM

I didn't see or do much tiki anything when I was there. Probubly because I didn't know they had a TVic's! I enjoyed the shoping, food and my favorite was the floating market.

It's not tiki but you got to see it! all da cannoes in the water selling everyting!

have fun.

R

"One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble..."

you realize of course that you are fated to hear that song in your head the whole time you are there...

It certainly was buzzing through my head the first time I went. Of course this last time was my 4th or 5th time there...I forget which, but I was not impressed. Maybe because I started in MNL, worked my way through VN, Cambo and then to BKK. So it seemed a bit pricy and brash to me. I guess I am also sick to death of fish sauce (nam pla), rude taxi drivers and all of the Thai's social taboos. :P

Anyway I have been to Siem Reap and Angkor twice so I would have to say it really depends on what you like for the needed length to visit. The first time I went I did the 3 day pass ($60) and it was enough to see everything in the afternoons. I like my nightlife and enjoy museums, but let's say I saw the Louvre in a day and it was enough. So the second time I just got a day pass when I went with my Stepfather and it was enough. The main temple WILL take a couple of hours though, as it is HUGE and the walk to the interior, never the less around it, is a VERY long one! I never took a guide and just rented motor bikes. It is a BIG place so you will need transpo, but there will be NO shortage of offers. A 80cc motor bike should NOT be more than $4-6 a day and a 250cc no more than $7-8 NO MATTER WHAT BS THEY TRY AND SHILL YOU! Believe me I KNOW Cambodia pretty well and this IS the truth. Personally I prefer the grim and insanity of PNH over REP which I find very touristy and a bit too new age, Lonely Planet, Euro-backpacker for my taste, but I am sure most would disagree.

If you have any questions about Cambo or T'land feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer them. :wink:

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2004-02-04 06:51 ]

T

Wow, thanks Rattiki! I think I can get the poop from my cousin (he is editor of farangonline.com) but your advice is sage and wise.

Not sure how long we will stay in Angkor wat - will probably do the Pnom Penh - Seim Reip flight, apparently it is cheaper than just Siem Reap alone.

R

On 2004-02-04 09:14, tikifish wrote:
Wow, thanks Rattiki! I think I can get the poop from my cousin (he is editor of farangonline.com) but your advice is sage and wise.

Not sure how long we will stay in Angkor wat - will probably do the Pnom Penh - Seim Reip flight, apparently it is cheaper than just Siem Reap alone.

Sage and wise haha! :lol:

I know of your cousins publication, so you will be in the know.

I could see BKK-PNH-REP being cheaper as the direct flights to REP are a tourist rip off as the town in general is compared to the rest of Cambo. I realized after my second trip there that Seim Reap (unbeknownst to the locals) ACTUALLY means 'Welcome back to Thailand' :lol: :roll: You'll understand if you spend any time outside of REP in Cambo.

Also I whole heartedly recommend a couple of days stay in PNH if you can. Stay at the Walkabout Hotel which is a clean, cheap, ($12 a night for AC, CATV, hotwater etc.) friendly Aussie style hotel and pub with great expats full of local knowledge. It is a city on the rebuild after 30+ horrible years, the evidence of which can be dug out of the ground with the kick of your shoe or the pulling of a half buried article of clothes, at (one of the many) killing fields. I imagine it is like what SAI and BKK were 30+ years ago, a truly French Indochinese city on the Mekong River with brightly smiling people, bizare sights everywhere and decadant decay. To have French roast coffee and fresh bagettes with ripe brie sitting in a river side cafe after a stroll through the nearby, strange smelling, insane market is a true life experience. :D How's that for sage like? hahaha :lol:

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2004-02-05 06:59 ]

Fish , be safe and have some fun there. for God's sake don't smuggle any live monkey or other things of the sort. OOO OOOO AAAHH AHH AHHH!!

T

Tikifish - you may enjoy this article on Siem Reap: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/03/arts/03ANGK.html?ex=1076868379&ei=1&en=975

also - I highly recommend watching the sun rise from the entrance to Angkor Wat, if you have a guide to navigate you there...

Nothing was more awesome (and spookier) than bumping (literally) into this statue of Vishnu in the dark, waiting for the sun to come up....

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-05 19:30 ]

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-05 19:32 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies