Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Check out this article

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

A friend of mine recently pointed this tiki article out to me. You can read it online:

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/11-03/11-03-tiki.htm

Moderen Drunkard Magazine is usually filled with well written alcohol related articles and humor. This author is both knowlegable and had appriciation for all things tiki.

Great article from a damn fine publication!

Boyd Rice wrote something very similar for the intro of 'Taboo - The Art of Tiki'. As I don't have it to hand, I don't know quite how similar it is, but Boyd certainly seemed to be one of the people that first voiced an appreciation of Tiki/Exotica.

Trader Woody

When I first saw Modern Drunkard I said to myself "Finally...a magazine (I) can relate to!".

I believe our own Suicide Sam was going to do this article but....... he got busy.

S

On 2004-02-03 08:25, Trader Woody wrote:
....but Boyd certainly seemed to be one of the people that first voiced an appreciation of Tiki/Exotica.

Yup, Boyd Rice is part of that first generation of Tiki revivalists during the 1980s, along with Jeffrey Vallance and other S.F. underground artists. Boyd met and turned my friend and BOT cover artist Moritz R on to Martin Denny and Tiki, and in the early 90s he did a fine M. Denny interview for the English zine UNGAWA!

He always was into extremes (from what I heard), so he got a little carried away with his conspiracy theories and Nazi activities and got into trouble with the FBI, and he was not heard from for some time.

His piece in "Taboo-Art of Tiki" is great because it comes from the personal experience angle.

On 2004-02-03 10:56, Swanky wrote:
That tiki?

THAT Tiki is an enigma, a proto-Tiki that, though completely modern and Polynesian Pop freestyle, is FROM Hawaii. This photo, and the one with Martin Denny, must have been taken at the Hawaii National Park Fern Tree Forest (see Columbia Record Club's 1960 "A Colorslide Tour of Hawaii", Slide 18), but it's exact location is unknown.

It would not be so important, had Trader Vic not chosen to use two of these as entrance Tikis to the original Trader Vic's in Oakland (see BOT p.82), in the Outrigger in Seattle (BOT p.86, behind the waiter), and then also as entrance Tikis at the San Francisco Trader Vic's on Cosmo Place. They appear as illustrations in some of his early fliers and menus.
Since Vic started out in the Pre-Tiki aera, when American Tiki manufacture had not become the mode o'day, he got his early Tikis from Tahiti and Hawaii. So WHO carved these elegant and simple modern gods, and where?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-04 15:44 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies