Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

KailuaGeoff in Huntington Beach, Feb. 27

Pages: 1 17 replies

I'm breezing into Huntington Beach for a few days and will be free Friday night, the 27th. I'm into visiting Sam's Seafood and maybe one other spot, if anyone wants to meet up.

KG,
Cool, I'll try to get up to OC on the 27th. Are you coming south at all?
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-02-15 23:41 ]

I'm in the area, ahh, I might be in. ya know being new guy and all I suppose I oughta get out a bit and rub elbows. So... I'll check back later.

Dig it,

K-Geoff,

Hey, you can stop by the Bong Hut for a drink if you'd like; maybe Al & Shelly will come by also and we can cruise over to Sam's.

I'll PM you my home phone.

P

KGeoff,
Can you take me along as an annoying sidekick? My singing voice is back again and the uke is great on the plane for getting free drinks from appreciative travelers!

Al & Bong,
Sorry I don't have time for a trip further south. I'd be most honored to visit the legendary Bong hut before heading over to Sam's, and it would be way cool if Al and Shelly could join us, so thanks for the invite Bong!
I'm free Thursday night and Friday afternoon and evening for tiki explorations, so I'm going to try and hit the Bahooka and Tiki Ti Thursday night and go to OA early Friday afternoon.
Anyone know the opening/closing times for these?
Mahalo and see ya soon,
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-02-17 08:04 ]

A

Sounds good!!!! I think OA closes at 4:00 on friday. Better call them though.

http://www.cosmicassociates.com/oceanic_arts_mainframe.htm

Mahalo,
Al

Looks like an opportunity for a gathering along with TikiRoyale on or just after February 27th.

Anyone putting something together?

H

Bahooka
4501 Rosemead Blvd, Rosemead
Ph: (626) 285-1241
Thu: 11am-9pm
Fri: 11am-10:30pm

Tiki-Ti
4427 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles
Ph: (213) 669-9381
Thu: 6pm-1am
Fri: 6pm-1am

Oceanic Arts
12414 Whittier Blvd, Whittier
Ph: Ph: (562) 698-6960
Thu: 8am-4pm
Fri: 8am-4pm

Keep in mind these locations are pretty spread out, with lots of potential traffic between, but with some planning you may be able to see some or all of them, and of course I recommend trying.

I have some girlfriends coming down to visit from Seattle on Friday, so I don't know yet if I can make it Friday, but I'm up for whatever on Thursday.

Kailua-

If you make it to Bong's you got to stop by Bamboo Benville on the way to "sign the pole" and get your free Bamboo Ben Tshirt. We're only 3 blocks away! I'll make it a point to be there If you let us know you're coming (not like the Secret Meeting last time with Unga Bunga @ the Bong hut, arrrr!).

Bong- get that cd out! Lots o shoppers are into it!

Ben,

I'm gonna move on getting the CD dup'd the first thing in March! Glad you like it.

A hui hou!

Ben,
Thanks and yes, I'll definitely plan to stop by and say "aloha". I'm sure my trip would not be complete without visiting your domain. Does one chisel their name into the pole, or will a Bic pen do the trick?

Mahalo Humuhumu for the logistical info. I've driven in LA a few times before, so I have some understanding of the challenge. I get free of my Friday meeting at 12:30, and plan to head straight to OA afterwards.
Thursday, I'll attempt to navigate Bahooka and Tiki Ti in the evening...
KG

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-02-17 20:08 ]

Back in Florida safe and sound...
Many mahalos to Bong for welcoming me so warmly to Huntington Beach on Friday, for opening your house, bar and awesome tiki collections, and for mixing up great Mai-Tais all afternoon for me and your Hoity-Toity friends. And for the Smokin' Menehunes disc, which is great by the way. My only regret is we didn't get to share a drink at Sam's the night before 'cause I know that's your hale away from home.
Thanks to PolyPop and Monkeyman for hanging out with me all day and night. You guys are the best; especially Polypop since he bought me lunch which I need to repay him for. And, I want everyone to be advised that Monkeyman doesn't take any wooden nickels. Treat him right, if you want his art. Nuff said.
Bamboo Ben: You have to have the coolest job around. My wish is to someday have you build a custom bar for me. It was very nice of you to drop what you were doing (in this case, rigging thatch on a portable bar) and shot the sh*t with us for awhile. Also, thanks for letting me sign the "pole" and for the official T-shirt.
To Al and Shelley, what can I say? You two get my vote for the official ambassadors of tiki. Please do come visit and/or stay with Marian and I next Fall, if you can. I can't promise we'll do theme parks, but we'll take you to the Hawaiian Inn for sure. And, thanks so much to you and Monkeyman for going to the Bahooka with me, sharing a typhoon and the odd sensation of having Bwanatiki strum for us while we ate.... Not sure I could have done that solo.
As for Tiki Taix, I had a really great time but was kind of blown away by the whole thing and needed to slow down. To me it was kind of like falling into a tiki rabbit hole. The cool stuff just never stopped happening, and it was nice to just sit back and soak in the whole deal.
Also, it was cool to be at what looks like the first of many possible future Tiki Taix gatherings. You Kanes and Wahines are really fortunate to have the king in your midst acting as court jester/master of ceremonies.
Denny: Thanks for not making me mud wrestle or otherwide make an a** of myself. I was really too tired for it anyway. You, your band, Cazy Al and the mysterious Miss Mauna Loa rocked; especially with those awesome vibes behind you. Wow, the sound made me sorry I never got to see/hear Arthur Lyman play.
Sven: Great seeing and talking with you again. Thanks for inviting me to sit with you and your gracious companion during the show.
To Humuhumu and Floratina and Crazy Al and SugarCaddyDaddy: Great seeing all of you again and please come to Hukilau 3, if you can, where you can be time zone challenged and I can stay up all night.
Okay this is starting to sound like a boring oscars speech, but I didn't want to leave anyone out.
Goodnight and mahalo once again.
KG

Aloha from the Sunshine State!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-03-02 10:19 ]

P
pablus posted on Tue, Mar 2, 2004 7:25 AM

I'll never stop envying your trip.

Some photos would ease the horrendous green jealousy that seems to have overtaken my soul.

KG, too bad you had to go home so soon. We still gotta get you over to Oceanic Arts and meet Bob and Leroy. Maybe next time.

Hey, did you take any pics?

A

It was good to see you Geoff. That was a great night at Taix. We'll see you at Hukilau.
Mahalo,
Al

Pop,
I took some photos and will post a few, as soon as I finish off the roll.

Pablus,
It was all too brief my friend, plus it made me feel like we in Florida live in some sort of isolated outpost of tiki. We need to get our Florida brethren together again, and drown our sorrows at not living in the hotspot of tiki-dom. Maybe we could organize something in April? I hope to be in South Florida the week of the 17th or 24th, so maybe a Mai-kai gathering would be in order.
KG

MB

Nice meeting you too.

Pages: 1 17 replies